Gift of Battle / Gift of Exploration: A petition.

@lokh.2695 said:The bar to get a legendary should be high, it should take time and effort, dedication and currency to get. Since it's optional, I don't mind it needing a more holistic commitment to the game. In fact every legendary should require a PvP part as well.I'm not trying to be exclusive here. Legendaries should encourage players to try out new stuff. To leave their comfort zone, even for a bit, if they want the item.

I completely disagree with making PvP a requirement for crafting legendary weapons in addition to WvW and PvE. It isn't necessarily about leaving a comfort zone for some of us.

PvP already has a reputation for being saltier than than the Don Juan Pond or Dead Sea. For example, our guild hall progress is stalled because we need the PvP pots. Getting our butts handed to us over and over again and name called by angry players is not our idea of fun. We did do it for a few of the upgrades in our hall - we just can't face having to do more so we are not. For those that would say to us 'git gud then', that is easier said then done. Some blessed players have the gift of good eye hand co-ordination and lightening reflexes - for those that don't, some game modes are just beyond frustrating. Mad King's Jumping Puzzle anyone?

Now if there was an option for Gift of Battle to be earned through either PvP or WvW, that would be cool and would likely make PvPrs happy if they are wanting to craft legendary weapons. But to require PvP for a legendary in addition to map completion and WvW, that would lock quite a few out of that content, myself included. It isn't a matter of me not wanting it bad enough. It is me not wanting to spend my time in such a toxic environment.

WvW is already to some degree, a bit toxic and elitist and so what someone said about not feeling welcome, I totally agree. 2/3 of the time the map has commanders running on closed tags. And the majority of those that are running on open tags want you to be on Discord - if you won't join discord, then you can't be in the squad. The chat on discord can be sexist and gross so I choose to stay outside a squad and either scout, defend or flip camps. Profession matters when joining squads as well. Rangers are not at all welcome - and that is my main. For a game that is designed to embrace diversity and let you play how you want to play, it can be frustrating when WvW commanders dictate the terms of your participation. Having said that, the GoB is attainable and fairly quickly through the WvW reward track. You can progress it without joining a squad though it may take a bit longer depending on how your server world is doing against the other worlds.

TLDR; I'm fine with the current system, no, just no, to making PvP participation a legendary requirement. It already is a requirement for some of the guild hall upgrades and because of it, our guild hall remains unfinished. Making PvP part of the legendary requirements along with GoB & GoE would just increase the existing toxicity among PvP players.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@fizzypetal.7936 said:

@"lokh.2695" said:The bar to get a legendary should be high, it should take time and effort, dedication and currency to get. Since it's optional, I don't mind it needing a more holistic commitment to the game. In fact every legendary should require a PvP part as well.I'm not trying to be exclusive here. Legendaries should encourage players to try out new stuff. To leave their comfort zone, even for a bit, if they want the item.

I completely disagree with making PvP a requirement for crafting legendary weapons
in addition to
WvW and PvE. It isn't necessarily about leaving a comfort zone for some of us.

PvP already has a reputation for being saltier than than the Don Juan Pond or Dead Sea. For example, our guild hall progress is stalled because we need the PvP pots. Getting our butts handed to us over and over again and name called by angry players is not our idea of fun. We did do it for a few of the upgrades in our hall - we just can't face having to do more so we are not. For those that would say to us 'git gud then', that is easier said then done. Some blessed players have the gift of good eye hand co-ordination and lightening reflexes - for those that don't, some game modes are just beyond frustrating. Mad King's Jumping Puzzle anyone?

Now if there was an
option
for Gift of Battle to be earned through
either
PvP or WvW, that would be cool and would likely make PvPrs happy if they are wanting to craft legendary weapons. But to require PvP for a legendary in addition to map completion and WvW, that would lock quite a few out of that content, myself included. It isn't a matter of me not wanting it bad enough. It is me not wanting to spend my time in such a toxic environment.

WvW is already to some degree, a bit toxic and elitist and so what someone said about not feeling welcome, I totally agree. 2/3 of the time the map has commanders running on closed tags. And the majority of those that are running on open tags want you to be on Discord - if you won't join discord, then you can't be in the squad. The chat on discord can be sexist and gross so I choose to stay outside a squad and either scout, defend or flip camps. Profession matters when joining squads as well. Rangers are not at all welcome - and that is my main. For a game that is designed to embrace diversity and let you play how you want to play, it can be frustrating when WvW commanders dictate the terms of your participation. Having said that, the GoB is attainable and fairly quickly through the WvW reward track. You can progress it without joining a squad though it may take a bit longer depending on how your server world is doing against the other worlds.

TLDR;
I'm fine with the current system, no, just no, to making PvP participation a legendary requirement. It already is a requirement for some of the guild hall upgrades and because of it, our guild hall remains unfinished. Making PvP part of the legendary requirements along with GoB & GoE would just increase the existing toxicity among PvP players.

I'm not advocating adding a PvP part to the process, I'm totally fine with the way it is at the moment. What I said could be phrased differently in: Be glad they didn't went through with "Legendary weapons should show dedication in all fields of the game" and added more PvP requirements. The old ones don't need any I think and the newer ones only need shards that are still dirt cheap on the TP. It's ok the way it is. All is well. ;)

Off topic but a sidenote to what you said concerning PvP. Ignore the mapchat and be generous with blocking ppl, forget that you're there to actually win the game, have fun playing and be there for the pips. At least that's what my motivation for PvP has come down to at this point. I've been playing casually playing between one and three matches a day for years now. I went for the titles and achievements and played ranked during seasons. I try to play classes that I like and that I can carry my own weight with. I knew, the moment ANet introduced ascended rewards and especially since they made it so that you would never lose pips, no matter the outcome of a match, that PvP as a competitive game mode where ppl try to actually be better as their opponents is done. It's going to be a reward-farm from here on out. As I enjoy PvP, I still get that, enjoyment, from playing, so I try to play well. Since ANet removed groupig, there's even less a point in going for a high rank anyway, if you're not going for a high rank and all the rewards are participation trophies, there's no point in being competitive about PvP. Most of the hc players have left or reduced their gamtime in GW2. The filthy casuals like myself don't care, so all that's left crying are the ppl who want to feel like they're a competitive pro player but don't draw the conclusion that moving on to a game that better suits that would help everybody along the way. In recent seasons, the focus of "making PvP more deadly and faster" has been a huge bummer for me as I always tended to more bunkery builds and playstyles. But there's no bunkering against a condimesmer or a good thief, you either oneshot or get oneshotted. Playing is less fun for me and I think after I got the last few shard I need for the armor, I'll probably leave PvP for a while.

• 11 months later...

@Drago.4815 said:why not have a GOB reward track for PVE players and PVP as well. WVW has dailies that give them credit toward the GOB. do the same for PVP and PVE.For PVE it could be doing big events and boss battles.

Read what's been written above:

• ANet's intent seems to be to include stretch goals for optional gear.
  • There already are methods to obtain the GoB without setting foot in WvW. Or you can speed up progress immensely by doing some/all of the WvW dailies that don't require fighting other players.

This is the closest option to what is want, though it's not so much that I want it to be changed...I'd rather see GoB in particular given a sPvP reward track too. You already need the Memories of Battle from WvW, which yes, you can buy, but the only PvP thing needed for a legendary are the Shards of Glory...Which you can also just buy. I'm of the opinion that you should give people a choice of which PvP game mode they want to play for the Gift of Battle. This would still leave the WvW reward track as is, just add a similar reward track option to sPvP.

I prefer that they remain as is for acquisition. If anything were to change, I'd recommend making both of them sellable on the Trading Post. This would allow WvWers to skip the PvE while rewarding the PvEers with gold and likewise permit the PvEers to skip WvW while rewarding the WvWers with gold.

I voted: "I would like to see both Gifts changed."

It is OK to do map completion for your main characters. If you start to use another character, the map completion is necessary. But, after 7-8 ... 10 map completions you see that you do this not because it is needed to play the game (to have all the WP unlocked / all the zones mapped) but only because you need ONE item. Repeat, after several map completion it is not fun anymore.My suggestion is to be able to buy this GoE after doing a full map completion. I understand, the Legendary weapons are not mandatory for any activity. But if a player opted for it (with all the waste of resources, gold etc) why to add the ... "challenge" of doing a map completion for the ...19-th time?

For the GoB - it is enough in my opinion to make it again available at the vendors in WvW after completing once the reward track. If the currency is Badge of Honor, you will need WvW anyhow if you want several Legendary. If you want 1 or 2 or even 3, I don't think the fact that you can achieve the Badges from the achievement chests is a problem. The AP chests will stop at high level of AP - and the number of Badges you gain from them is not a calamity for the Legendary market.

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

@Sleepwalker.1398 said:PVE players should be happy that WvW maps are taken out of World Completion.why? it was fun. I'm not a big WvW players, mostly only for GoB (GoE back then), Mount and so on.

Primary reason was because of the addition of the desert borderlands. I believe at launch they had wanted to alternate all of the borderlands between desert and alpine, so players could have ended up having to wait longer to get the right combination of color and borderlands.

The icing on the cake was a lot of pure PvE players complained about having to do some WvW in order to map complete. Doing all bit WvW would leave players at 98% map completion which got under the skin of the completionists.

To the specific topic, I'd only be in favor of a change that would give a PvP alternative to earning the GoB.

It's funny, reading my comment of a year ago. Since then, I've crafted 5 legendaries: 2x backpack, 2x Gen 1, and 1x Gen 2.5, and I remain consistent in my thoughts on this. I see it as a means where ANET incentivizes players into different areas of the game. This serves to expose players to both PvE and WvW, and works to try and combat the "us vs them" tribal silliness you see above.

In the end it's a legendary, and as I've said many times before, if you're going to complain about any aspect of it, maybe you shouldn't be trying to craft one. In any case, a Gen 1 Legendary weapon is waiting for you, all you have to do is swipe your credit card - no work or risk of feeling uncomfortable.

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:It's funny, reading my comment of a year ago. Since then, I've crafted 5 legendaries: 2x backpack, 2x Gen 1, and 1x Gen 2.5, and I remain consistent in my thoughts on this. I see it as a means where ANET incentivizes players into different areas of the game. This serves to expose players to both PvE and WvW, and works to try and combat the "us vs them" tribal silliness you see above.

In the end it's a legendary, and as I've said many times before, if you're going to complain about any aspect of it, maybe you shouldn't be trying to craft one. In any case, a Gen 1 Legendary weapon is waiting for you, all you have to do is swipe your credit card - no work or risk of feeling uncomfortable.

The only counter to that, is already knowing that you dont like the content. (I dont like wvw, i go there when i need a GOB, and dont touch it till i need another one.), i just recognize that its not going to change so i live with it.

Its perfectly normal to complain about aspects of things you dont like.

@"Dante.1763" said:The only counter to that, is already knowing that you dont like the content. (I dont like wvw, i go there when i need a GOB, and dont touch it till i need another one.), i just recognize that its not going to change so i live with it. Its not silliness at all, and its perfectly normal to complain about aspects of things you dont like.

That's a healthy attitude, but that isn't what I was referring to with my remark about "silliness".

@killermanjaro.5670 said:I think the current ways of obtaining them are fine. In fact by having to do WvW for the GoB, I ended up playing and enjoying a game mode that I wouldn't have ventured into before.

As it turns out despite now having a few of each gifts I still haven't bothered to start creating a legendry, and might not bother. So the only change I wouldn't mind is if they added an option/vendor where we could trade the gifts in for some gold or other item/skin/reward or something. So those of us who don't create a legendary would still get something from them.

My comment.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:The only counter to that, is already knowing that you dont like the content. (I dont like wvw, i go there when i need a GOB, and dont touch it till i need another one.), i just recognize that its not going to change so i live with it. Its not silliness at all, and its perfectly normal to complain about aspects of things you dont like.

That's a healthy attitude, but that isn't what I was referring to with my remark about "silliness".

Forgive me for not expanding on that sentence, i did understand what you where referring to however, so lemme edit that a bit.