What ist the purpose of staff?

Dschromm.2946

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Dschromm.2946 said:Hello fellow necros,

I am fairly new to the game and finally decided to main necro through the content of this awesome game.

But, i find myself struggeling to understand the role of necro staff. While other main hands so to have designated roles (as far as i understand: dagger - sustain, axe - power burst, scepter - condi application), i am confused by staff:
  1. Slow moving, lf generating auto that looks cool, but hits like a wet noodle (power)
  2. Aoe bleed and regen. So some kind of sustain, Support and condi application (condi)
  3. Aoe poison and chill. So condi and CC (condi)
  4. Aoe condi transfer coupled with Power damage
  5. Aoe fest- CC

So what's it role? Power damage? No. Condi damage? No. Support? Not really. CC/tank weapon? Maybe, but why then ranged?

So, Help and advice is much appreciated.

See you ingame \○/

It's dated from back when the game launched, It and danger main-hand along with I think to some degree focus are all kind of lack-luster when compared to the necro's other weapons in their current form. They all need reworks (Staff and mainhand dagger need a complete overhaul/rework) so that they can be made more engaging and fun to play with; Main hand dagger and Staff are two weapons that always screamed occultist to me outside of scepter and focus. Out of those scepter shines and is strong but the others kind of feel... sub-par.

It will probably be redone one of these days and brought to the games new way of function, role and unique feel.

Don't be dissing my dagger bro!!my dedicated healing skill is on that beast :P

just saying it could be better lol

It could :)I'd settle for just bringing back the ability to hit 3 targets lolSkill 2 and 3 are great though ^^ Life Siphon is an awesome healing skill if you take advantage of it.Decent dmg, great heal and small CD, only problem is it can be evaded and blocked which can leave you in a pickle lolthat short CD does help there though.Combine it with minion life steal and some tankier stats though and it's awesome ^^

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Staff is long overdue for a rework, its outdated and frankly pathetic. I always hated using it in WvW because its slow, weak, has high cd's, and 4 of the skills cant even be used on downed players or siege...I stopped using it altogether in all game modes a long time ago. Still hoping for a rework...

I like staff's design. It could use a small boost in its punch, though. The suggestions below are in addition to the current staff skills' effects to give them a bit more utility and kick without changing how they work too much. Staff's main issue is the very low damage output, especially in PvE, rather than the utility. Damage can remain low if utility is boosted for more strategic play

• Necrotic Grasp: I would increase the power on this slightly and remove the projectile finisher. A 20% chance to be a finisher on an auto-attack this slow is just RNG.
  • Mark of Blood: Increase the bleed stack in PvE only from 2 stacks of 8 seconds to 3 stacks of 8 seconds and make Mark of Blood a blast finisher in all game modes. This will give a reliable and frequent finisher on staff but one that only proc's when there is an enemy in the trap/Mark.
  • Chillblains: Increase the poison stack from 2 for 8 seconds to 4 for 8 seconds for PvE only and increase the damage a little for all game modes.
  • Putrid Mark: For both PvE and WvW/PvP have it also transfer up to 3 boons from the Necromancer to 5 allies within the mark as well as the current 3 conditions on Necro to up to 5 targets so it also works as a boon duplicator, if the Necro has boons. This will remove boons from the Necro as well as conditions but it should aid in might-stacking and allow some of Necro's few, but long duration, boons to be shared to great effect in PvE. In PvP, proc'ing Spectral Armor and giving it away could make very interesting play.
  • Reaper's Mark: Add a combination field to the mark that can be changed depending upon specializations and traits. Core Necro = dark field, Chilling Darkness or Reaper specialization = ice field, Dhuumfire trumps all specializations and traits to lay a fire field, Scourge = light field unless Chilling Darkness is selected, then it leaves a water field.

@KrHome.1920 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:how is the LF generation of staff if you take the soul marks trait for groups? It adds 3% lf for when the marks is triggered. It is only once or for all targets struck?It's 3% per mark - the number of targets is irrelevant.

The autoattack grants 4% per target - up to 20% in total if you hit 5 targets.

Ah, I see. Perhaps it might be worth taking, as stacking vulnerability on your own is not as important in a group.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@LucianDK.8615 said:how is the LF generation of staff if you take the soul marks trait for groups? It adds 3% lf for when the marks is triggered. It is only once or for all targets struck?It's 3% per mark - the number of targets is irrelevant.

Ah, I see. Perhaps it might be worth taking, as stacking vulnerability on your own is not as important in a group.

The unblockable is also pretty invaluable. Being able to interrupt something like a channeled blocking skill can really ruin someones day in a group fight.

@Lahmia.2193 said:

The unblockable is also pretty invaluable. Being able to interrupt something like a channeled blocking skill can really ruin someones day in a group fight.

I speak of pve, not pvp.

@Lahmia.2193 said:

@Aediph.2873 said:My PvE Reaper mains Staff, the thought of things getting better from what some of you folks mention sounds great

Isnt the damage rather low to be using it as a main pve weapon?

Depends on the type of pve tbh. For events that require quick tagging of multiple foes, it's second to none.

And thats just utility. He said maining staff, which had me puzzled. I have a staff as well for tagging for when joining groups, but that doesnt make it a main weapon.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

@"Aediph.2873" said:My PvE Reaper mains Staff, the thought of things getting better from what some of you folks mention sounds great

Depends on the type of pve tbh. For events that require quick tagging of multiple foes, it's second to none.

And thats just utility. He said maining staff, which had me puzzled. I have a staff as well for tagging for when joining groups, but that doesnt make it a main weapon.

A main weapon is just the main weapon you use. If your main purpose in PvE is to tag mob, why would you deny staff as a "main weapon"?The staff is the most efficient weapon when it come to tag mobs, there is no need to look elsewhere. GW2 is a cooperative game afterall, people have the right to gather in large group and use the most efficient weapon suited to their way to play as their "main weapon".

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Aediph.2873" said:My PvE Reaper mains Staff, the thought of things getting better from what some of you folks mention sounds great

A main weapon is just the main weapon you use. If your main purpose in PvE is to tag mob, why would you deny staff as a "main weapon"?The staff is the most efficient weapon when it come to tag mobs, there is no need to look elsewhere. GW2 is a cooperative game afterall, people have the right to gather in large group and use the most efficient weapon suited to their way to play as their "main weapon".

I definite main weapon as your primary set. For reapers it would be greatsword, whereas axe and warhorn/focus is utility.

@LucianDK.8615 said:

I definite main weapon as your primary set. For reapers it would be greatsword, whereas axe and warhorn/focus is utility.

But that only is for you.

For example I prefer to play reaper with scepter/dagger as my primary set and dagger/X as my secondary. Can't it be possible that someone's own preference as main weapon is staff? Despite all it's advantage, nothing will ever lead me to ever like the reaper's GS due to it's attack speed, should I ridicule you because you use it as the main weapon due to my own taste?

Staff is totally fine as a main weapon if you enjoy it's gameplay. It does have it's pros and cons but so does GS or the other weapon kits.

@"LucianDK.8615" said:I restate, I am just trying to understand why youd use it as a main weapon, instead of just as a tag weapon.

If your main activity is to play as a part of a large group of players riping through large group of foes, the staff give you twice the loot for half the work. If your main activity is to support your teammate from the rear (which isn't incompatible with reaper), the staff traited is your best option. It's as simple as that.

People all have different interests, some want to deal the highest "numbers" (which GS will satisfy), some want easy in game wealth (staff is perfect for that) and some want to play without feeling like their toon is permanently slowed (one handed weapons satisfy this requierement). The main weapon is the weapon that let you enjoy the game, it doesn't need to be the best weapon in the game. Like I said, I personnally don't enjoy the attack speed of the GS so it's unthinkable to consider it as a main weapon, but I'm open to the idea that other can think of it as a main weapon and the same goes for staff (I wouldn't readily use it, but I can see it's strengths and accept that people could think of it as their main weapon despit the fact that it doesn't fit my own requirement).

Dadnir is right. There are PvE events where staff is a good tagging tool. The traps are useful for mob spawns and trains. The AA's piercing tags mobs in trains, too, with proper positioning.

WoS, WoC, Life Transfer, Terror, Unholy Feast, and Feast of Corruption are also good for tagging and that is just core Necro. Since the elite specializations like Dragonhunter were introduce, though, tagging success dropped.

@Anchoku.8142 said:Dadnir is right. There are PvE events where staff is a good tagging tool. The traps are useful for mob spawns and trains. The AA's piercing tags mobs in trains, too, with proper positioning.

WoS, WoC, Life Transfer, Terror, Unholy Feast, and Feast of Corruption are also good for tagging and that is just core Necro. Since the elite specializations like Dragonhunter were introduce, though, tagging success dropped.

But tagging remains just an utility purpose of the staff, not something youd use anywere else but mass events as a reaper. Thats what im saying, it has no other purpose because of too low damage. Completely poor for you alone in open world, or fractals/raids because it is a significantly low contribution.

@"LucianDK.8615" said:But tagging remains just an utility purpose of the staff, not something youd use anywere else but mass events as a reaper. Thats what im saying, it has no other purpose because of too low damage. Completely poor for you alone in open world, or fractals/raids because it is a significantly low contribution.

Again, not every player's fun in the game depend on damage value output. Even for soloing champion/elite the staff hold value despite not being optimal for damage. Players in fractal and raid follow rigid build that are focused on being the most effective into a specific array of professions, there is no room for personnal gameplay enjoyment, in these 2 gamemodes you don't main a weapon, you just play the weapon that fit into the "meta".

However, as you know, scourge can be a healer (just like core and reaper). Staff can easily sustain perma regen for 5 allies, staff blast into well of blood can also cleanse condition in an area all while dealing damage and controling foes through chill/fear. And this is already enough to be considered as a good main weapon for a healer.