Useless Exotic?

@Sobx.1758 said:

@DaFishBob.6518 said:It's no less useless than a festival mini or tonic reward.

But you would know that before you tried for the reward. This item is gear, not a mini, skin, or novelty.

It still changes nothing, because you'd still go for the related achievements to -at the very least- get APs.

In another thread, I discovered that it will be impossible for me to get the AP level needed for the reward I really wanted for APs: the six radiant armor skins. So, I've given up on going for APs any more. They're a side issue now.

@Daddicus.6128 said:OK, while updating the wiki for the other items I found that can't be salvaged (etc.), I found that the wiki entry for Inquest Apparatus says it CAN be salvaged, yielding 1000 volatile magic. But, the one I have can't be salvaged. Is that a bug?

It should be salvageable. I remember salvaging mine down without any issue.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:"OMG I GOT A FREE SKIN HOW DARE YOU ANET"-op

Please read his post again.

He got the skin from doing a chain of achivements, which means he sort of worked for it. Nothing is free. It is free only because the cost has not revealed itself yet.

He most probably got the achievements for one of two reasons:a) he enjoyed the content, so he played it and got a skin for free out of itb) he wants to get AP, so he farms achievements aaaaaand got a skin for free out of it.

Either way, a free skin.

Not really. I did the content so I could get the rewards, like I always do. I would rather be doing fractals. I was dumbfounded when I found out it is worthless (to me).

Guess you should have checked the reward then. That's on you for doing the content only for the reward, for a reward you don't want. Not going to get much pity here.

Brilliant idea. And, how exactly was I supposed to know that it couldn't be salvaged or forged? The entry in the wiki says it NOW, but that's because I wrote it after I learned it.

Actually you are right. I meant that you could have looked at the item, but I hadn't considered the lack of information regarding non-salvageable. Though the point still stands that you did get the skin.

@NanoEliteSixSixSix.8935 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:OK, while updating the wiki for the other items I found that can't be salvaged (etc.), I found that the wiki entry for Inquest Apparatus says it CAN be salvaged, yielding 1000 volatile magic. But, the one I have can't be salvaged. Is that a bug?

It should be salvageable. I remember salvaging mine down without any issue.

Sounds like a bug. Thanks.

@MachineManXX.9746 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

He got the skin from doing a chain of achivements, which means he sort of worked for it. Nothing is free. It is free only because the cost has not revealed itself yet.

He most probably got the achievements for one of two reasons:a) he enjoyed the content, so he played it and got a skin for free out of itb) he wants to get AP, so he farms achievements aaaaaand got a skin for free out of it.

Either way, a free skin.

Not really. I did the content so I could get the rewards, like I always do. I would rather be doing fractals. I was dumbfounded when I found out it is worthless (to me).

Guess you should have checked the reward then. That's on you for doing the content only for the reward, for a reward you don't want. Not going to get much pity here.

Brilliant idea. And, how exactly was I supposed to know that it couldn't be salvaged or forged? The entry in the wiki says it NOW, but that's because I wrote it after I learned it.

Actually you are right. I meant that you could have looked at the item, but I hadn't considered the lack of information regarding non-salvageable. Though the point still stands that you did get the skin.

Which is why I was so confused when I received it: typically, you have to salvage exotics to get the skin. Not always, though, so you have a point.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

Either way, a free skin.

Which is why I was so confused when I received it: typically, you have to salvage exotics to get the skin. Not always, though, so you have a point.

I'm quite certain you could unlock a skin by simply equipping the item or just using the unlock skin option.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

Either way, a free skin.

Nonsense, account bound exotics and account bound (or character bound) items always unlock the skin immediately the moment they are acquired. This has been the case since the implementation of the wardrobe feature from day 1.

@DaFishBob.6518 said:

@Mil.3562 said:

Either way, a free skin.

I'm quite certain you could unlock a skin by simply equipping the item or just using the unlock skin option.

Yes, that's true and if something is account bound on acquire then just getting the item automatically unlocks the skin, no further action is required.

It was the same when we got the holographic helm from Dragon Bash, just getting the (salvageable and saleable) helm unlocked the skin.

I've found a few more items that can't be salvaged, sold, traded, or forged: the three grand sun/wind/lightning catcher items. So, there seems to be precedent, since those require festival tokens and favors. So, my sentiments in this matter have to be tempered a bit. :'(

I agree it should be salvageable or just a skin that gets dropped in the wardrobe and out of your inventory without being an actual piece of gear. But it's not worthless. I'm sure there are newer players out there that don't have a ton of gear just lying around and a free exotic backpiece is of some use to them.It's also a new skin. Just cause you don't care for the skin didn't mean it's worthless. Not sure why it's even surprising this is the reward considering it was the same for Dragon Bash.

It seems there are more of these types of things. So, generally, they exist in larger quantities than the handful I thought existed. So:

Would it make sense to have some kind of marker (perhaps in tooltips) so you would know that the item is not available for any of selling, trading, forging, or salvaging? "Account bound" is usually enough to tell us that it can't be sold or traded (although, there are a lot of exceptions). But, both "can't be forged" and "can't salvage" are unknowns outside the wiki (which may not be correct ... yet.)

Perhaps, "this item only has value when equipped". (Similar to the "this item only has value as part of a collection.")

@Blude.6812 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:"OMG I GOT A FREE SKIN HOW DARE YOU ANET"-op

you left out a world ...got a free USELESS skin...

Usefulness of a skin is fully subjective, a skin is never truly useless to everyone. By your logic almost any reward (not "any skin", but "any reward") can be called "useless", because there's always someone who'd like to get something else.

He also said that he did it "because he can salvage it for a chance of black matter glob". Before that he claimed that he only did all these achievements for that very reason and if he knew it's not salvagable, he'd do something more rewarding like fractals. So it's a lie, because even if we consider that it would be salvagable, it's still not worth (~50 silver) the effort over other types of farming -fractals included. He would do these achievements anyways, that's LITERALLY an additional skin on top of those achievements and their rewards, nothing to complain about here.

• Confused 1

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:Not being able to salvage certain exotics really gets on my kitten. I understand your ire OP, to not even be able to vendor it is irritating AF. It's basically a reward that slaps you in the face as all it's good for is being dragged out of your inventory.

Me too, i have a bunch of useless stuff sitting in my bags i cant sell salvage or forge. I hang on to it in the hopes it will be useful someday.