Why not sell it all (banked components)?

I don't craft much at all, and yet I've got a bank full of crafting components/ingredients, just sitting there, from years of always clicking Deposit before I list the rest on the BLTP.

So, now I'm thinking that I should list all my non-account-bound components/ingredients on BLTP, and then I'd have thousands in gold (instead of a few hundred), to buy whatever I need. If I have to craft something in the future, I can just go back to the TP and rebuy just those comps I need.

Change my mind. :)

In general there's no reason not to sell materials unless you know you'll need them or you craft a lot, and many people will do that when they need extra gold.

Personally I like to keep a bit back just in case I want to craft something, to save having to buy it all back (potentially at higher prices). I have a somewhat arbitrary minimum for each material - for example 50 for cooking ingredients, 20 for gem stones and if I want extra gold I sell anything over that.

You might also want to check the price history for materials before selling as prices do vary over time based on supply and demand. For example the price of ectoplasm has been rising for about a month so it might be worth holding onto it and waiting to see if the price will rise further before you sell. It depends on how much effort you want to put into increasing your profits.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Anet may later on decide to use them for something which would then cause their value to increase significantly. It’s then possible to run into a scenario where you did yourself more harm by selling.

True, but that's something of an edge case.

@Danikat.8537 said:You might also want to check the price history for materials before selling as prices do vary over time based on supply and demand. For example the price of ectoplasm has been rising for about a month so it might be worth holding onto it and waiting to see if the price will rise further before you sell. It depends on how much effort you want to put into increasing your profits.

I was noticing the ecto prices as well. Last thing I want to do is become a GW2 day trader (WTB call options on ectos!), though.

So, I might not dump it all at once blindly, but just sell off specific comps when those prices are favorable.

@"TheAgedGnome.7520" said:I don't craft much at all, and yet I've got a bank full of crafting components/ingredients, just sitting there, from years of always clicking Deposit before I list the rest on the BLTP.

So, now I'm thinking that I should list all my non-account-bound components/ingredients on BLTP, and then I'd have thousands in gold (instead of a few hundred), to buy whatever I need. If I have to craft something in the future, I can just go back to the TP and rebuy just those comps I need.

Change my mind. :)

Why? That's a good plan. If you haven't made use of those mats for years, the likelihood that you'll make use of them this year or next is slim.

In a lot of cases, I'd strongly discourage that choice; for you, it seems like the most sensible option, by far.(And no, I wouldn't pick & choose what to sell as some have suggested; sell it all. Although... you can also be strategic about how you price the mats to maximize the gold earned.)Try not to "insta sell," regardless. With the amounts you're divesting, you'll earn noticeably more coin by pricing at or above the lowest sale prices.

tl;dr good idea; go for it

I used to hoard, then insta sell everything off when making a legendary (back in the day when it was a lot harder to farm)

Now I just hoard. I find very little use for gold these days and a couple of hundred in the bank seems to sustain me for a long while.

If you need gold - sell.If you don't - hoard

I used to bank all my materials, even though I do not craft at all. Now I insta sell everything - but my bank is still full of stuff I will never use. I have thought of selling it all, as well. Main reason I have not is that I have gold piling up too - there is nothing I really need to buy... so no reason to raise more gold.

Right now all I am playing is the boss battles in the pavillion, and get 5-10 gold a day from the trading post. No reason to sell my banked materials, but no reason to keep them either ha ha

@"Jethro.9376" said:Deposit until you reach the storage limit and then sell any excess.

That's what I've been doing. But, at some point in the past I bought a Storage Expander without really thinking of the consequences (other than "more must be better!"), so I have excess beyond the excess that I don't need. So that's part of why I'm thinking of selling off comps. Oh well. :)

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

@"Jethro.9376" said:Deposit until you reach the storage limit and then sell any excess.

That's what I've been doing. But, at some point in the past I bought a Storage Expander without really thinking of the consequences (other than "more must be better!"), so I have excess beyond the excess that I don't need. So that's part of why I'm thinking of selling off comps. Oh well. :)

The problem with "selling the excess" is that you end up filling up quickly. So again, for your particular needs & interests, I'd recommend selling everything.(mileage varies, so I usually recommend a different strategy to others)

@TheAgedGnome.7520 said:

I bought one expander aswell. So now everytime i get a stack of something in my inventory (after deposit) i clean up and sell everything in inventory and bank until i have one stack in storage.

Side note:I tend to craft something big out of boredom.

@TheAgedGnome.7520As you've bought one expander, I'd recommend selling when materials reach over a stack - that way you can simply double-click to withdraw full stacks to list. Absolutely always use Sell Order, for the high-volume stuff it might even be worth checking price history!

@"TheQuickFox.3826" said:Imagine the amount of support requests of players who regret clicking this "list everything" button.

Um, no one's suggested a "list everything" button in this thred...