in twitch.Why are there few people watching Guild Wars 2?

Wow has raid progression and big personalities. GW2 isn't fun to watch and is a smaller game in general. GW2 raid progression was interesting too, but it can't compare itself to a game that is basically completely built around that. We don't have an Asmongold either. Somebody who pulls numbers and is generally entertaining to watch. I mean, hell, he can have at least 6 youtube channels making videos of his reaction to things and people just love to eat it up.

@Blocki.4931 said:Wow has raid progression and big personalities. GW2 isn't fun to watch and is a smaller game in general. GW2 raid progression was interesting too, but it can't compare itself to a game that is basically completely built around that. We don't have an Asmongold either. Somebody who pulls numbers and is generally entertaining to watch. I mean, hell, he can have at least 6 youtube channels making videos of his reaction to things and people just love to eat it up.

Pretty much this. Also the WoW Mythic Dungeon Invitationals are currently going on, which is a dungeon running contest, well organised and polished. GW2 has nothing like that. GW2 probably pulls in more viewers when a raid launches.

This leaves PvP or WvW for entertaining content but...

@"Randulf.7614" said:GW2 is a visual mess

... so those aren't all that entertaining to watch either and either way they are very "low stakes".

@maddoctor.2738 said:My guess is because there isn't a lot worth watching in the game. It's one of those better playing than watching.

I mean...is it though?

You have to really keep in mind that there are a multitude of streamers whose fanbase watch them and play at the same time. Doing one or the other aren't mutually exclusive activities. In fact if you watch those streams you can see said people show up in the stream as they likely use it to find out where they are in a city or zone or whatever and then go and see them. Or they participate in a dungeon, or raid, or whatever else kind of group content in whatever game.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Maybe you could try starting off at the right question: why does anyone want to watch someone else play a game?

Entertainment. Streamer personality. Interaction. Community. Check if the game looks interesting. Information.

Indeed. Plus it can be fun to watch others play things in different ways or show off a skill level beyond ones own.

I don’t watch a lot of twitch etc but I will happily marvel at speed runners in old games or maybe rocket league players whose abilities I can only hope to mimic.

Not every game works and gw2 is one of them. It’s unclear and messy and not conducive to watching in a stream. Many mmos are the same but gw2 is especially bad.

Reasons:

• WoW's playerbase is bigger than GW2
  • Mythic dungeons are actually quite entertaining to watch. They are bite sized challenging dungeon content and the international happening right now pits good teams against each other for pve content
  • trininty based games are a lot easier to follow when watching
  • as mentioned by others: streamer/content creators who have their own followings

In general MMORPGs overall do not enjoy a huge streamer following. If you want huge numbers you need to go to shooters, mobas or battle royals. Even WoW is no exception since its viewer base is tiny compared to its entire playerbase.

Same answer every time people ask this

Gw2 is has a terrible visual diarrhea problem now and is uncomfortable to look at even when you know what's going on.

Combine that with pvp where you die in 3 hits these days and no one is going to sit down and spend time to watch a stream that already has a bunch of streamer UI bullshit all over it.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:My guess is because there isn't a lot worth watching in the game. It's one of those better playing than watching.

I mean...is it though?

You have to really keep in mind that there are a multitude of streamers whose fanbase watch them
and
play at the same time. Doing one or the other aren't mutually exclusive activities. In fact if you watch those streams you can
see
said people show up in the stream as they likely use it to find out where they are in a city or zone or whatever and then go and see them. Or they participate in a dungeon, or raid, or whatever else kind of group content in whatever game.

You are right that it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive, however sometimes it kinda is. I only have 1 PC with only 1 screen and my PC does not particularly like running both game and stream. Not that it matters to me, since I find gameplay streams kinda boring in general.

'Cause streams are for losers and only winners player GW2, DurSeriously tho, GW2 is too casual and requires little commitment. I can stream at any time I want but I never feel like it 'cause it's a pick up and go game and put it down when you want. Likewise, I don't wanna watch someone play GW2 when I can be having the fun myself in-game.

Probably because most GW2 players are actually playing the game?

I've never understood why you would want to watch someone stream when you could just play. Championship type matches - sure, few people will ever reach that level of play so those kinds of games are exciting to watch and unique, just like sports (except not a sport).

BUT! Just watching someone regularly playing a game? That'd be like a soccer buff watching a bad hand-held recording of some Brazilian kids kicking a ball around without any shoes on. With some mook's ugly mug in the corner and periodic reminders to donate for the privelege so said mook can continue wasting everybody's time. It's not exciting and actually it's a wee bit creepy.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:Probably because most GW2 players are actually playing the game?

I've never understood why you would want to watch someone stream when you could just play. Championship type matches - sure, few people will ever reach that level of play so those kinds of games are exciting to watch and unique, just like sports (except not a sport).

BUT! Just watching someone regularly playing a game? That'd be like a soccer buff watching a bad hand-held recording of some Brazilian kids kicking a ball around without any shoes on. With some mook's ugly mug in the corner and periodic reminders to donate for the privelege so said mook can continue wasting everybody's time. It's not exciting and actually it's a wee bit creepy.

Thats kind of a gross misrepresentation of streamers.

Sure there are those that might solicit for donations and the like, but I don't believe they are the ones that will last terribly long or grow very large. In fact I can't actively think of any that have. Many streamers are well aware of the luck of their circumstances and many express their gratitude to their fanbase.

Don't take a few bad eggs as a representation of the larger group. Its just doesn't paint an accurate picture, especially in the case of when many do charity streams and ask for such donations so that they can go to said charities.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:Probably because most GW2 players are actually playing the game?

Thats kind of a gross misrepresentation of streamers.

Sure there are those that might solicit for donations and the like, but I don't believe they are the ones that will last terribly long or grow very large. In fact I can't actively think of any that have. Many streamers are well aware of the luck of their circumstances and many express their gratitude to their fanbase.

Don't take a few bad eggs as a representation of the larger group. Its just doesn't paint an accurate picture, especially in the case of when many do
charity
streams and ask for such donations so that they can go to said charities.

Yes charity streams, so that they can gain even more viewership. I find the vast majority of streamers to be insuferable, especially those with a PIP of their faces visible at all times. You know, just in case anyone wants to actually look at those gloriously unshaven totems of narcissism.