Just Wanted to Share a Vid on How to Better Balance ⚔️

Whiteout.1975

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:nice, i will watch it when im done with the conference.This is presumably also what every developer ceo said when the conference is the one on how to turn players into payers.

i am not anets ceo :p. im just a gamer. if i was, id be implementing my ideas, and not be posting in forum. sop dictates only representatives chosen and trained talk

@"Whiteout.1975" said:A video I thought would be useful to look at for concept guidance on how to better balance Profession's/Builds in GW2. From a general (yet in depth) perspective.

Who is your target audience here? I would hope not the developers since they actually do this for a living and while you might disagree with their approach, I'm quite sure their knowledge on the subject matter extends far beyond a 15 minute youtube video and most hobby developers on these boards.

If it's for regular forum goers who lack insight into balance, fair enough. Here some more useful recources as old as 12 years on this subject matter:

- Perfect Imbalance Why Unbalanced Design Creates Balanced Play (2012)

https://web.archive.org/web/20090312033347/http://www.strangehorizons.com/2009/20090309/newheiser-a.shtml - Playing Fair A look at Competition in Gaming (2009)

and maybe a small read for some people on these boards:https://www.theodysseyonline.com/mentality-in-competitive-gaming-part-1 Mentality In Competitive Gaming Losing, and How to Think About Losses Productively (2016)

This subject matter is not new as is nothing in that (even if well made) video you linked. It might be new to some people on these forums, but it certainly isn't new or revolutionary to the industry.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Whiteout.1975" said:A video I thought would be useful to look at for concept guidance on how to better balance Profession's/Builds in GW2. From a general (yet in depth) perspective.

Who is your target audience here? I would hope not the developers since they actually do this for a living and while you might disagree with their approach, I'm quite sure their knowledge on the subject matter extends far beyond a 15 minute youtube video and most hobby developers on these boards.

I didn't realize I had a target audience or had to have one... So that's a good question ?

I've never disputed any dev's general "knowledge" or even claimed a 15min video would encapsulate all of that "knowledge". However, I'm quite sure as they continue to change the game. I think it's fair to say... That they are also trying to learn (to some extent) along with us.

• I would also like to make the distinction of having (a certain amount of) knowledge... And one's ability to apply that knowledge. These should be considered overall very different.
  • For instance... Let's assume I actually know an undefined number of ways to start a fire. While this "might" be true. I could however, also be poor in the ability of actually starting a fire. Let alone getting the fire to the likable state I would rather see it in.

So again, I didn't have a target audience. However, should a Dev get reminded of any value they may have forgotten while watching. Then cool. If they do find something enjoyable in the video; despite their "knowledge". Also cool. If however they see no further value in the video personally... Then that's cool too.

However, I do believe offering reminder's, should someone (anyone) do so. Is okay to do... Despite one's knowledge. As long as it's not forced of course... And obviously I did not try to force anyone into watching this video.

This subject matter is not new as is nothing in that (even if well made) video you linked. It might be new to some people on these forums, but it certainly isn't new or revolutionary to the industry.

I find that subjects often stick better... The better they are presented.

You know what else isn't new though?... History. And while History isn't "new" to some people. It is often helpful to occasionally revisit it. For what went right or wrong in the past. Kinda like the video in the OP does. Should at any point it come in handy... For whatever reason. It is simply there for help. And I don't regret offering help to anyone that may wish to take it... "Revolutionary" or not ?

Beside that... Thank's for the links in your original reply. Let's just have "a little bit of imbalance"... Like stated in your linked video (0:50 - 0:53). Now we have 2 video's for "help" instead of just 1 between you and me ? :+1: