Windows 10 Update won't Allow GW2 to Run Anymore

I updated windows this week and now Windows 10 tells me it cannot run the GW2 App and to contact the software publisher...I've had a support ticket in for 3-4 days with no answers at all. I've uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled three different times and it has not been fixed. Has anyone else had this issue? Found a workaround? Thanks.

It'll show this message when the executable isn't valid, which can happen when GW2 fails to update itself, resulting in a 0 byte executable and a ~32 MB temp file, which is the actual one.

Firstly, ensure your shortcut is correct.

Assuming 64-bit, check the folder containing Gw2-64.exe for a Gw2-64.tmp or Gw2-64.### file that is roughly 32 MB. If it exists, delete Gw2-64.exe and rename this file to Gw2-64.exe. Alternatively, download the latest Gw2-64.exe (build 97316) direct from the patch server, renaming it and overwriting your current Gw2-64.exe.

maybe there is a new security feature where you have to allow apps to access filesystem?e.g. sometime ago it was necessary to allow apps access to the microphone otherwise ts3 could not use italthough it is not even in the list of apps which you could allow access forwhich windows build version do you have?

@wanya.1697 said:maybe there is a new security feature where you have to allow apps to access filesystem?e.g. sometime ago it was necessary to allow apps access to the microphone otherwise ts3 could not use italthough it is not even in the list of apps which you could allow access forwhich windows build version do you have?

This is definitely not an operating system issue. A few days ago I received an update Win10 x64 1903 and absolutely everything works as before. There are no problems with the game either.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Stinger.4120 said:This is definitely not an operating system issue. A few days ago I received an update Win10 x64 1903 and absolutely everything works as before. There are no problems with the game either.

Perhaps the OP installed their game in C:\Program Files\, causing the issue. Then it would be OS related.

That's where my game is installed and it's been working just fine since the Windows 10 update a couple of days ago.

• 1 month later...

I encountered a similar issue every things updated in GW2 and when I tried to enter Play the game did not start. In fact it just closed. I use the X64 version of GW2 so my executable file id GW2-64.exe.I did this:

1. Create a short cut. Right click the GW2-64.exe and select “Create shortcut”.
  2. Right click the shortcut and select Properties.
  3. Edit the Target location box.a. Add” –repair” behind the path in the box.b. Like this “C:\Program Files\Guild Wars2\Gw2-64.exe" –repair Note leave the “” and precede the – with a space.
  4. Now execute the short cut (double tap double click, highlight and press enter what ever you like to use to run the programs.
  5. This takes a bit to work the repairs but it fixed by issue.