[PVE] Looking for a base thief build for open world, dungeon, and low fractals

RigoRiggs.4012

Hello! I just got my first character/toon to level 80 and its a thief! I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for a base thief build (I don't have any of the expansions yet, I am a returning player who only bought the base game) which would work in open world pve, dungeons, and/or low level fractals. I would also like to know if anyone has any suggestions for a deadeye build for when I finally get PoF.

Cannot believe no one wants to answer you :S. I am not a thief main, but I created a thief core build that should work. I've tested it this morning, raided a couple of forged encampments in path of fire, it is pretty difficult to die. The build is quite mobile, offers good damage and sustain in melee and acceptable range options. The only thing it lacks, stealth.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PawAwqVlZwyYeMMGJW0TarVA-zxYYhoD2BPCrMaKFCsCMZWMRZD-e

The armor is a combination of Berzerker's, Valkyre and Assassin, which sort-of simulates Marauder's stats. The main focus is on damage output of course, but you also gain a boost in vitality which results in ~ 3,000 HP more. To boost the critical rate and critical power, I use one of the cheaper rune-sets, Eagle. As for sigils, Superior Sigil of Strength & Bloodlust to drastically increase damage output once more.

The traits focus on sustain via passive regeneration. Again, I had serious problems going below 20 % health or even downed during testing. As long as you hug your opponents and keep hitting, you cannot really die. If HP drops, you can just spam Pistol Whip or if you are in desperate need of HP, use the Elite Skill. The more mobs are in closer range, the faster your HP refills.

I never use the active effects of the signets, the passives are sufficient. Haste works as a stun-breaker and to boost damage. In order to keep the flow of bodies, frequently use Infiltrator's Strike & Steal.

Shortbow is for ranged phases. Keep in mind to put the Choking Gas below your target before you use the auto-attack. You can use Haste to boost the auto-attack of the shortbow. For exploration and long distance travels, use:

• the Infiltrator's Arrow (Shortbow 5)
  • Steal & Dodge
  • Signet of Malice whenever it is up

Note: Signet of Malice has a ridiculously low cooldown and buffs you with Vigor, which boosts endurance regeneration. Thanks to the Acrobatics traitline, you gain Swiftness upon dodging. So you can maintain 100 % Swiftness uptime, which is nice for exploration. Especially if you do not have access to mounts yet. I use this method on my treasure-hunter character, a level 30 thief. Permanent Swiftness + Infiltrators Arrow works almost as good as the fastest land mounts.

If you are however in desperate need of stealth:

• Haste
  • sword&pistol = skill 5 Black Powder
  • weaponswap
  • Cluster bomb to ring of the smoke field

With a little training, you can land up to 4 Cluster bombs in the field, resulting in ~ 8 seconds of stealth. That should be enough to sneak around the most tricky parts.

It is not a traditional thief build with sneaking around, spending most of the time in stealth or flooding your opponents with conditions. It is more something like a berserker hack&slash build. Still, it is fun to play. I tested it in PoF against Forged, so you should not have any problems in Core Tyria.

@RigoRiggs.4012 said:Hello! I just got my first character/toon to level 80 and its a thief! I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for a base thief build (I don't have any of the expansions yet, I am a returning player who only bought the base game) which would work in open world pve, dungeons, and/or low level fractals. I would also like to know if anyone has any suggestions for a deadeye build for when I finally get PoF.

I just saw this. What kind of weapons do you like using?

The stereotype for PVE is: Always (and only) boost your DPS. That is why almost everyone recommends full berserker's gear to you. As well as Scholar Runes, Force/Impact Sigils, traits that only focus on damage-boost ... that is the meta. Optimized for perfect performance = highest DPS.

All of these things work excellent, IF you know your class very well and are able to dodge every lethal blow. On full berserker's gear, a lot of hits can be considered lethal - especially on a Thief. So a good thief is constantly on the move or in stealth, always dodging and evading attacks of his opponents. However if you are not that skilled, you die a lot.

If you already own Berserker's gear, you can try out the build anyway. You will deal more damage and receive more health in return. However when you fight a boss (elite, champion, legendary), make sure to stay a bit ranged. Fight it in range until you know its movement pattern, get closer when you know it will not launch a powerful attack. Infiltrator's Strike is quite useful here. When a boss has done a powerful attack, activate it. Deal a few hits and once you realize it is about to attack or your HP reaches a critical level, hit the button again to get into ranged again. Then you can swap to shortbow and kite it around.

It can be seen as a beginners build that does not use the full potential of the class. You use a couple of mechanics and strategies on the go, without dying too often. The more experienced you become, the more you can alternate the build to focus more on damage and less on survival. Or switch directly to one of the meta-builds.

Build proposed by @HnRkLnXqZ.1870 is solid, you can definitely stick to that for now. The s/p is also pretty safe with easy access to cc, so if you die in pve... you know it's on you :PThat said, if you find some free time, play around with your own ideas for what you think you could enjoy. It doesn't need to be a cookie-cutter meta build, don't forget to have some fun along the way or you might burn out faster than you expect.

• Confused 1

This is what i run on my alt account. Basically provides all you need. Sustain is great duo to Signet of Malice + Invigoration Precision. Damage wise is slightly below what meta builds usually perform in say fracs or dungeons. But nothing to worry about that unless you want to do high tier fracs or raids. Although you can go Thieves Guild and No quarter if you have a healer or feel confident.