Trade-offs for Mirage -- What Will It Be? What Would You Like It to Be?

Virtuality.8351

@flog.3485 said:

@flog.3485 said:The point is not to be pigeonholed into deceptive evasion for mirage but rather to have other damage sources for mirage (through trait choices) that are not necessarily bound to clones: talking about riddle of sand and mirrored axes here.Your "brilliant" suggestions do the opposite, I honestly dont feel like I can argue with people that have no clue what they are talking about... :(

Oh I have a clue of what I am talking about. I am talking about the over reliance to do damages and gain sustain through clones (especially for staff chaos playstyle),which in turn makes it unfun to play against mirage due to general visual clutter.

Personally I can not understand how you can come to the conclusion that the old staff phantasm was better than what we have now. I mean yeah it did more damages but the damages would require a heavy amount of conditions in the first place to make it worth and it would also assume that the very slow moving projectile would never be blocked, evaded, reflected or that it would reliably reach the target.Here we have 2 phantasm that do damages reliably while having the luxury of becoming clones that you can ambush and shatter. And talking about lack of damages, did you even try to trait it for more damages ?

you talk about wanting mesmers to rely on clones less, and you mention buffing mirrored axes, trait that has HEAVY reliance on clones to deal damage, on top of that it is an axe, shit weapon in the first place.

@flog.3485 said:

@flog.3485 said:The point is not to be pigeonholed into deceptive evasion for mirage but rather to have other damage sources for mirage (through trait choices) that are not necessarily bound to clones: talking about riddle of sand and mirrored axes here.Your "brilliant" suggestions do the opposite, I honestly dont feel like I can argue with people that have no clue what they are talking about... :(

Oh I have a clue of what I am talking about. I am talking about the over reliance to do damages and gain sustain through clones (especially for staff chaos playstyle),which in turn makes it unfun to play against mirage due to general visual clutter.Thats what you think. Why I have to explain why stupid idea is stupid ... :(Making no clones = less/no shatters which interferes with "Anet" grand vision that mesmers must use shatters and have active playstyle.To not rely on clones they could buff personal ambush and make clone ambush condis lasts 0.0001s and its done, identify real mesmer, dodge his ambush.Personally I can not understand how you can come to the conclusion that the old staff phantasm was better than what we have now.Old phantasm if hit did tons of damage (casually throwing 8k crits on power), make projectile actually track your target and it would be strong as hell but its pointless to discuss as they will never revert

@praqtos.9035 said:

Oh I have a clue of what I am talking about. I am talking about the over reliance to do damages and gain sustain through clones (especially for staff chaos playstyle),which in turn makes it unfun to play against mirage due to general visual clutter.Thats what you think. Why I have to explain why stupid idea is stupid ... :(Making no clones = less/no shatters which interferes with "Anet" grand vision that mesmers must use shatters and have active playstyle.To not rely on clones they could buff personal ambush and make clone ambush condis lasts 0.0001s and its done, identify real mesmer, dodge his ambush.Personally I can not understand how you can come to the conclusion that the old staff phantasm was better than what we have now.Old phantasm if hit did tons of damage (casually throwing 8k crits on power), make projectile actually track your target and it would be strong as hell but its pointless to discuss as they will never revert

Maybe but with IP we still can use shatters without having no clones. We still can summon clones without relying on the ability to get clones out off phantasm : we have got utility skills that summon clones, we have got sword ambushes and sword 3, we still have staff 2, the scepter and axe skills, as well the deceptive evasion trait in dueling that, let's be real here, everybody uses.

Edit: I also wanted to point out that, for mesmer it is also pure powercreep to have phantasm turn into clones because as it stands, phantasm are already doing the damages that will pile up to the damages the clones will apply, no matter if you either play condi or power.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

Oh I have a clue of what I am talking about. I am talking about the over reliance to do damages and gain sustain through clones (especially for staff chaos playstyle),which in turn makes it unfun to play against mirage due to general visual clutter.

Personally I can not understand how you can come to the conclusion that the old staff phantasm was better than what we have now. I mean yeah it did more damages but the damages would require a heavy amount of conditions in the first place to make it worth and it would also assume that the very slow moving projectile would never be blocked, evaded, reflected or that it would reliably reach the target.Here we have 2 phantasm that do damages reliably while having the luxury of becoming clones that you can ambush and shatter. And talking about lack of damages, did you even try to trait it for more damages ?

you talk about wanting mesmers to rely on clones less, and you mention buffing mirrored axes, trait that has HEAVY reliance on clones to deal damage, on top of that it is an axe, kitten weapon in the first place.

When I talked about updating the skills I never said the traits should keep the same mechanism. But anyway, yes, maybe this trait doesn't need to be changed.

@flog.3485 said:

Maybe but with IP we still can use shatters without having no clones. We still can summon clones without relying on the ability to get clones out off phantasm : we have got utility skills that summon clones, we have got sword ambushes and sword 3, we still have staff 2 as well the deceptive evasion trait in dueling that, let's be real here, everybody uses.

The reason deceptive evasion is so used its because it is the only reliable way of producing clones. When illusionary reversion was good no one cared about deceptive evasion, if self deception and deception skills were good no one would care about deceptive evasion.

Just revert the phantasms to the old shatterable ones (won't happen but w/e).

@Lagosta.9683 said:

Maybe but with IP we still can use shatters without having no clones. We still can summon clones without relying on the ability to get clones out off phantasm : we have got utility skills that summon clones, we have got sword ambushes and sword 3, we still have staff 2 as well the deceptive evasion trait in dueling that, let's be real here, everybody uses.

The reason deceptive evasion is so used its because it is the only reliable way of producing clones. When illusionary reversion was good no one cared about deceptive evasion, if self deception and deception skills were good no one would care about deceptive evasion.

Why are you talking about illusionary reversion for chrono ? I am purely talking about mirage trade off here.

@flog.3485 said:

Why are you talking about illusionary reversion for chrono ? I am purely talking about mirage trade off here.

Getting to the point why deceptive evasion is mandatory.In case of mirage because self deception and deception skills are garbage.

@Lagosta.9683 said:

Getting to the point why deceptive evasion is mandatory.In case of mirage because self deception and deception skills are garbage.

Yes, I would agree with that too. Deception skills could see some buffs.

@flog.3485 said:

Yes, I would agree with that too. Deception skills could see some buffs.Self deception doesnt just give a clone, you must have one alrdy, pure garbage, just like deceptions themselves (except heal)

@praqtos.9035 said:

Yes, I would agree with that too. Deception skills could see some buffs.Self deception doesnt just give a clone, you must have one alrdy, pure garbage, just like deceptions themselves (except heal)

Honestly they should move away from the idea of having traits that give more clones in elite specs. When these traits are too strong, it just powercreeps deceptive evasion. When it is too weak, it is just not worth taking and in PvP, players will just play deceptive evasion anyway.

@flog.3485 said:

Honestly they should move away from the idea of having traits that give more clones in elite specs. When these traits are too strong, it just powercreeps deceptive evasion. When it is too weak, it is just not worth taking and in PvP, players will just play deceptive evasion anyway.

Ye, lets make dueling DE mandatory in every build, lets have even less variety of traits to chose from ! /s /facepalm

@praqtos.9035 said:

Ye, lets make dueling DE mandatory in every build, lets have even less variety of traits to chose from ! /s /facepalm

Yes exactly, you know why? Because dueling evasion is not the only ability that makes you summon clones. And maybe in the future, it might be a bit more interesting to not make every mesmer build only about summoning enough clones just to shatter them without interruption. But guess what ? The devs are already doing that with the concept of ambushes and you certainly do not need to summon that large amount of clones to gain the effect of your shatters thanks to IP.

It is also not because the devs offer different way of gaining clones outside of dueling evasion that players will suddenly stop running DE. It happened in HoT times when they nerfed illusionary reversion because players were just combining both effects and it didn't happen in PoF times because they purposefully made self deception very weak imo.

Other than that, may I just point out that the devs can make the effect of shatters not require the illusion to actually reach the target. That is something they did for chrono this year with flow of time and seize the moment. So maybe they could also do that mirage.

Fix clones as a resource first... or prepare the way by moving condition damage, boons, and status effects applied by clones to instead be scaling on the Mesmer/Mirage skills based on number of active clones. Winds of Chaos, for example, would apply an increasing number of stacks of conditions based on the number of clones active. This would apply to Ambushes as well, and increase the number of, or duration of, effects applied by Ambushes (daze, conditions, boons).

With the reliance on clones for effects compressed into the Mesmer/Mirage attacks, the defense against that becomes positioning (not being LoS of the Mesmer for the attack), active skill usage, or dodging/reliance on passive defenses.

Now then, for actual tradeoffs... Mirage is about Ambushes, Deception, and "sustained" fighting, it follows that their strengths should be rooted in that. This means that these should be stronger, and the trade off is that other things that the profession has should be weaker. Reduce damage and durations of effects from Shatters for Mirage and empower the Ambushes and Deception utility skills significantly. Mirage should not be Core++, which is pretty much how it feels overall. The trade off should be in play style, where Mirage wants to keep clones alive and get bonuses from having them up, and using deception to keep them alive (alter Self Deception to instead apply distortion to existing clones and self when using a Deception utility skill). This effectively makes sustained fighting more possible with additional ways to protect clones, but ultimately wouldn't even be necessary if they were not able to be destroyed in the first place.

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:Mirage doesn't need a tradeoff. Ambushes don't come for free. And the improvement to the dodge is counteracted by its deficits.

The real question is... is there anything Core is strictly better at doing than Mirage? If not, then yeah, they need to refine the two so they are differentiated from each other.

Overall though, I agree that Mirage Cloak and Ambushes are fairly balanced as they stand, but the play style and build simply are not different enough from Core at all in actual play to me.

The big thing with mesmer compared to other classes was how elite specs fixed the underperormance of the base class.

Compared to the likes of Thief, Warrior, Ranger, Guard, etc. Classes with no substantial trade offs and only got improvments with their elite specs; I don't see why such a thing should be imposed on mesmer alone, when frankly the core specs and the over all lackluster design of the class is enough of a "trade off".

I've said it before - something that the tradeoff crusaders forget, and ArenaNet seems to have forgotten in the last patch, is that the opportunity cost of a traitline is itself a tradeoff. Mesmer (and engineer) core traitlines have a lot to offer - this opportunity cost is not to be sneezed at.

If further tradeoffs are to be made: I think @Curunen.8729 has the right general idea. Let core be the mesmer that you take for shatter spiking. Specialisations could then give up some of that spike potential in exchange for having something else they can do.

Mirage, then, can have its shatters weakened in exchange for being able to get more sustained damage out of their clones. Essentially, Mirages would be the replacements for the old phantasm playstyle: shatters are there as an option, but not one that's so much of the build's strength that it's required.

Chronomancers, on the other hand, are support, but prior to the latest nerfs, it had another valuable role - it provided a mesmer build for solo play that wasn't reliant on getting illusions/clones out to be effective, but could use wells, chronophantasma, and other abilities to survive and thrive in situations that are hostile to clones. This is part of why the IP removal hurts so much - it puts the chrono back in the position of requiring at least one clone for any of the shatters (including CS, arguably their signature ability). Having less effective shatters than core mesmer - fine. But it'd be nice to have a mesmer build that can manage in situations that are hostile to clones, just like a soulbeast can manage in situations that are hostile to pets by camping soulbeast. Presently, mesmer is the only profession which is always reliant on the survival of AI entities - for every other profession, there are builds available which can avoid it.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@"Virtuality.8351" said:I heard there must be 15 characters to be regarded as a legitimate post.

Jokes aside, I am pretty worried about this one particularly after the latest nerf hammer hit on Chronomancer. Maybe it'd be better if we discuss this and maybe get the attention of the balance team than just sit and wait for the hammer to drop again.

Sorry man,
and not only were they largely ignored, but that OP was troll baited and banned for his trouble. Not falling for this trap again.

Well, I still have my perhaps naive faith in community feedback having the capability of affecting design decisions. I still remember back in 2014 that some rather specific recommendation by some of us on the forum on Mantra skills of Mesmer was implemented and successfully addressed the relative issues and created new possibilities. It has been a long time since then, though. Also, they brought back Quickness Hammer for Scrapper in PvE.

Still reading through the rest of the comments. As I just started playing, and thus still not very familiar with Mirage, I don't have any meaningful feedback at the moment though.

@Virtuality.8351 said:

@Virtuality.8351 said:I heard there must be 15 characters to be regarded as a legitimate post.

Jokes aside, I am pretty worried about this one particularly after the latest nerf hammer hit on Chronomancer. Maybe it'd be better if we discuss this and maybe get the attention of the balance team than just sit and wait for the hammer to drop again.

Sorry man,
and not only were they largely ignored, but that OP was troll baited and banned for his trouble. Not falling for this trap again.

Well, I still have my perhaps naive faith in community feedback having the capability of affecting design decisions. I still remember back in 2014 that some rather specific recommendation by some of us on the forum on Mantra skills of Mesmer was implemented and successfully addressed the relative issues and created new possibilities. It has been a long time since then, though. Also, they brought back Quickness Hammer for Scrapper in PvE.

Still reading through the rest of the comments. As I just started playing, and thus still not very familiar with Mirage, I don't have any meaningful feedback at the moment though.

ANerf still takes suggestions. The problem is that they take one buff suggestion and a myriad of nerf suggestions.Suggesting nerfs is a sure way to get changes on game that's why we shouldn't give them ideas.Chrono trade-off was suggested here as an F4 removal they got that on game and removed additionally IP.