How is Caledon pronounced?

kumiponi.6047

As a Sylvari, I'm naturally curious about how Caledon Forest's name is supposed to be pronounced.

I believe it's like in this video:

Is there any audio dialogue in the game that would confirm it? The names of the maps (except for cities) are rarely used by inhabitants of Tyria, probably because they are there more for game play than lore purposes.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Here’s one that I was able to find which you’ll have to check out in game. It’s near the bottom.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Trader%27s_Green#Ambient_dialogue

Thanks! I checked it out and that character pronounces it differently than in the video. It's more like "Cal-a-dawn", that is, the vowel at the end is different and longer.

When it comes to in-game names, there are a variety of pronunciations. My head canon for this is: not everyone in our world shares the same accent, not even people born in the same city. So I think at best you can answer, "how does this NPC or that pronounce the name of the area?"

As a case in point, I'm listening to an audio book and the reader pronounces Adidas (as in the shoe) different from how it's pronounced around here. Presumably, the company has an official version (and they do), and nevertheless, Americans have decided to emPHAsize the syllables differently.

@kumiponi.6047 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Here’s one that I was able to find which you’ll have to check out in game. It’s near the bottom.

Thanks! I checked it out and that character pronounces it differently than in the video. It's more like "Cal-a-dawn", that is, the vowel at the end is different and longer.

That’s how I pronounce it

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Here’s one that I was able to find which you’ll have to check out in game. It’s near the bottom.

That’s how I pronounce itMore or less, same.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:im my mother language(portuguese) is, using english equivalent is CA(like ca-r or like ca-roline) LE(like La-iser or le-ad or le-arn) DON(something between like doom and don-ation).If I'm getting your examples right, that sounds a lot like Khazaduum from LotR, just an l instead of z and n instead of m.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Here’s one that I was able to find which you’ll have to check out in game. It’s near the bottom.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:im my mother language(portuguese) is, using english equivalent is CA(like ca-r or like ca-roline) LE(like La-iser or le-ad or le-arn) DON(something between like doom and don-ation).If I'm getting your examples right, that sounds a lot like Khazaduum from LotR, just an l instead of z and n instead of m.

I do not recall a Kazaduum in LotR. There is one in WoW as well as Z'ha'dum in the Babylon 5 universe.I personally think that Caledon might be a reference to Lord of the Rings Caras Galadhon (the big tree of Lorien). That one is pronounced ˈkaras ˈɡalaðon It would mean that it would be ˈKaleðon.

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

I do not recall a Kazaduum in LotR
. There is one in WoW as well as Z'ha'dum in the Babylon 5 universe.I personally think that Caledon might be a reference to Lord of the Rings Caras Galadhon (the big tree of Lorien). That one is pronounced ˈkaras ˈɡalaðon It would mean that it would be ˈKaleðon.

Hint: “You shall not pass!”

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

I do not recall a Kazaduum in LotR. There is one in WoW as well as Z'ha'dum in the Babylon 5 universe.I personally think that Caledon might be a reference to Lord of the Rings Caras Galadhon (the big tree of Lorien). That one is pronounced ˈkaras ˈɡalaðon It would mean that it would be ˈKaleðon.

Khazad-dum is the original dwarves name for Moria