Resetting hero points? Is there a way?

I haven't played for a while and even though I know you'll laugh, I didn't even have a level 80 naturally. Although I did have a guardian at level 72 which I leveled naturally to level 80.

I digress.... I used a boost to get a level 80 thief to try out Deadeye and DareDevil but don't have enough points to unlock them. Does that mean I have to go around in each zone and find hero points? All I wanted to do is get to play the elite specs but can't seem to change the traits that come with the level boost.

Maybe someone can enlighten me what can I do.

Thanks in advance

1) No, you can not reset spent points. However, there are vastly more points available than needed to unlock everything.2) Reaching level 80 (wether by normal XP or boost) gives enough Hero Points to unlock all core skills and traits.3) To start any Elite Spec you have to have all core skills and traits unlocked, so you can't really "save points" to get a head start.4) All Expansion Hero Challenges give 10 points instead of 1. HoT has frequent (still) Hero Point Trains, where a commander leads a squad through the maps to get all hero challengeschallenge. PoF hero challenges are almost all easily soloable.

To emphasize Tanner's information: after using the L80 boost, you cannot choose Deadeye nor Daredevil; you would still have to earn hero points.

ll I wanted to do is get to play the elite specs but can't seem to change the traits that come with the level boost.Even people who level up "naturally" can't do that. You have to first earn the core specs and only then can you work on the elites.

It's generally not possible to make a mistake, since you can always earn more points. The only problem one might make for oneself: starting off to master one elite and deciding to start the other one. And the only issue there is: maybe an extra hour or two of time.

@"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:1) No, you can not reset spent points. However, there are vastly more points available than needed to unlock everything.2) Reaching level 80 (wether by normal XP or boost) gives enough Hero Points to unlock all core skills and traits.3) To start any Elite Spec you have to have all core skills and traits unlocked, so you can't really "save points" to get a head start.4) All Expansion Hero Challenges give 10 points instead of 1. HoT has frequent (still) Hero Point Trains, where a commander leads a squad through the maps to get all hero challengeschallenge. PoF hero challenges are almost all easily soloable.

Just to add in case you don't know: use the Looking For Group tool to find HP trains, and more.

• 2 months later...

@ancafr.9274 said:This is one of the bad point on this game.. a HUGE and famous game like this doesnt have a single item or option that allow players to reset their skill points... compared to others games the character skill customization here is VERY POOR...

It's only a problem for a short time. As people have explained in this thread just getting to level 80 will give you enough hero points to unlock all the core skills and traits and then there's more than enough hero challenges in the world to unlock both elite specs.

@ancafr.9274 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Or just do some WvW and unlock everything in no time, without even stepping in PoF or HoT.

How come? could you explain?

Gaining ranks in WvW or earning Skirmish Chests awards you Proof of Heroics which can be traded to a Heroics Notary for a Notarized Scroll of Heroics (Core), Notarized Scroll of Maguuma Heroics or Notarized Scroll of Desert Heroics. Using the scroll completes 1 random hero challenge in the respective area, giving you 1 hero point (for Core maps) or 10 for HoT and PoF maps.

@ancafr.9274 said:This is one of the bad point on this game.. a HUGE and famous game like this doesnt have a single item or option that allow players to reset their skill points... compared to others games the character skill customization here is VERY POOR...

I think you're confusing resetting in this game.

Hero points unlock traits..then you go and choose those traits to use. You can change your traits any time you want to...after you have unlocked them.

It's not a problem to unlock the wrong elite. (You have to unlock all of core before you can unlock an elite.). There are way more hero points than you need to unlock both elite specs that you can choose to use at will. It is likely you would choose to unlock both anyway.

Yeah lol, i have both elite specs fully unlocked on my Guardian, Ranger and Necro, and i still have 391 points left cause i got all Hero Points in the game, if they realease a new elite spec in the future i will be able to unlock it right away without needing to grind (unless they change how it works), for me that's a great skill system to be honest!!!

@Brandon Uzumaki.1524 said:Yeah lol, i have both elite specs fully unlocked on my Guardian, Ranger and Necro, and i still have 391 points left cause i got all Hero Points in the game, if they realease a new elite spec in the future i will be able to unlock it right away without needing to grind (unless they change how it works), for me that's a great skill system to be honest!!!

I have 404 HP's left over on my chars which I think is the max, and almost enough for 2 more Elite Specs.It's funny because of the Error code 404: New Elite Specs not found.

Considering you can learn ALL skills/traits and have 400+ hero points left over, reseting skills and traits is not needed.

This was it clearly communicated in May I guess, wheb this thread was made.

So once again just so everyone unaware can read this: you get far more hero points than you can ever spend on skills/traits.

@Danikat.8537 said:

It's only a problem for a short time. As people have explained in this thread just getting to level 80 will give you enough hero points to unlock all the core skills and traits and then there's more than enough hero challenges in the world to unlock both elite specs.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:Or just do some WvW and unlock everything in no time, without even stepping in PoF or HoT.

Gaining ranks in WvW or earning Skirmish Chests awards you
which can be traded to a
for a Notarized Scroll of Heroics (Core), Notarized Scroll of Maguuma Heroics or Notarized Scroll of Desert Heroics. Using the scroll completes 1 random hero challenge in the respective area, giving you 1 hero point (for Core maps) or 10 for HoT and PoF maps.

Hmm I see .. although I play the game for some time there are still lot of things I dont know and need to learn lol. Ty for the info i'll try to play WvW to get these good stuff, specially for the tomes of knowledge. I need many since the lving here takes fucking long and the level 80 boost don´t give access to elite specialization(still dont know why) what force the players to level or spend their boost to test all...

One reason the L80 Boost does not, or would not, give access to Elite Specializations is Core-only players and Play4Free players can acquire the L80 Boost. And, of course, Elite Specializations require their associated expansion (which those players have yet to acquire).

Also, if the forums are any indication, most feel that leveling to L80 is quite quick and painless; and discourage newer players from using the L80 Boost (at first).

@ancafr.9274 said:

which can be traded to a
for a Notarized Scroll of Heroics (Core), Notarized Scroll of Maguuma Heroics or Notarized Scroll of Desert Heroics. Using the scroll completes 1 random hero challenge in the respective area, giving you 1 hero point (for Core maps) or 10 for HoT and PoF maps.

Hmm I see .. although I play the game for some time there are still lot of things I dont know and need to learn lol. Ty for the info i'll try to play WvW to get these good stuff, specially for the tomes of knowledge. I need many since the lving here takes kitten long and the level 80 boost don´t give access to elite specialization(still dont know why) what force the players to level or spend their boost to test all...

If you level naturally you also don't get the elite specs automatically. This is a reason you don't unlock them automatically with a level 80 boost

@ancafr.9274 said:

which can be traded to a

Hmm I see .. although I play the game for some time there are still lot of things I dont know and need to learn lol. Ty for the info i'll try to play WvW to get these good stuff, specially for the tomes of knowledge. I need many since the lving here takes kitten long and the level 80 boost don´t give access to elite specialization(still dont know why) what force the players to level or spend their boost to test all...

The level boost puts your character at level 80, just as it says. It neither gives more or less hero points.

Every level 80 character, no matter if leveled without boost, some boost or a level 80 boost, will have exactly enough hero points to learn ALL core traits and skills leaving only the 2 elite specializations (worth 250 hero points each) open. Given there is a total of 904 hero points in game (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_point) and only 500 are needed to learn both elite specializations, you have a lot of freedom to decide which hero points you gather. As noted by others, HoT and PoF hero challenges reward 10 points each, while core Tyria reward 1 point each.

Leveling here takes as long as you decide to make it. There are leveling guides which can help you reach level 80 in 1-2 days (somwhat arbitrary since it also depends on your playtime per day). Given there are a ton of instant level items (you get 10 level up scrolls per month), fast experience methods (craffting rewards upwards of 7-10 levels per maxed crafting skill. Some crafts take only a few gold to get to max level https://gw2crafts.net) and experience is rewarded for almost anything, this is a personal issue for you.

@ancafr.9274 said:

which can be traded to a

the level 80 boost don´t give access to elite specialization(still dont know why) .

You get hero points per level. Enough to unlock the core class. This is all the level 80 boost...80 levels. Not any mapping or anything to do with the actual hero points you earn.After you have to gather the hero points you need for the expansion traits by playing the game.

If you had done the expansions in order.... you would've likely have unlocked both elites...Without knowing if you liked them.But as others have said, you can test elites in the pvp lobby.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

which can be traded to a

The level boost puts your character at level 80, just as it says. It neither gives more or less hero points.

Every level 80 character, no matter if leveled without boost, some boost or a level 80 boost, will have exactly enough hero points to learn ALL core traits and skills leaving only the 2 elite specializations (worth 250 hero points each) open. Given there is a total of 904 hero points in game (
) and only 500 are needed to learn both elite specializations, you have a lot of freedom to decide which hero points you gather. As noted by others, HoT and PoF hero challenges reward 10 points each, while core Tyria reward 1 point each.

Leveling here takes as long as you decide to make it. There are leveling guides which can help you reach level 80 in 1-2 days (somwhat arbitrary since it also depends on your playtime per day). Given there are a ton of instant level items (you get 10 level up scrolls per month), fast experience methods (craffting rewards upwards of 7-10 levels per maxed crafting skill. Some crafts take only a few gold to get to max level
) and experience is rewarded for almost anything, this is a personal issue for you.

Do you have any lving guide u can suggest to me? I got some time to play since i´m not working.. if I can make a lv 80 char in like one week that wont be bad for me.

@ancafr.9274 said:

which can be traded to a

Every level 80 character, no matter if leveled without boost, some boost or a level 80 boost, will have exactly enough hero points to learn ALL core traits and skills leaving only the 2 elite specializations (worth 250 hero points each) open. Given there is a total of 904 hero points in game (
) and only 500 are needed to learn both elite specializations, you have a lot of freedom to decide which hero points you gather. As noted by others, HoT and PoF hero challenges reward 10 points each, while core Tyria reward 1 point each.

Leveling here takes as long as you decide to make it. There are leveling guides which can help you reach level 80 in 1-2 days (somwhat arbitrary since it also depends on your playtime per day). Given there are a ton of instant level items (you get 10 level up scrolls per month), fast experience methods (craffting rewards upwards of 7-10 levels per maxed crafting skill. Some crafts take only a few gold to get to max level
) and experience is rewarded for almost anything, this is a personal issue for you.

Do you have any lving guide u can suggest to me? I got some time to play since i´m not working.. if I can make a lv 80 char in like one week that wont be bad for me.

There is multiple youtube videos which explain how to level fast. Here is some general pointers:

• stick to levels close to your character and zones close to your character. That's because experience gained is based on your level or the zone level which you are in (and realize that different parts of a map can have different max levels). If you are level 20, move out of the level 1-15 zones unless you are close to map completing one
  • do your personal story missions every 10 levels. Those are usually 3-4 missions and will grant 2-3 levels into your next 10 levels
  • exploring gives experience and rushing through maps can rack up quite a lot of experience without fighting a single enemy. Try to keep a lookout for waypoints, vistas and hero points which all are fast to complete and give good experience
  • crafting gives experience and the experienced gained is scaled to your level. gw2crafts.net has current guides based on current ingame prices. As of this writing, cokking costs around 4 gold to get to 400 (which is 10 levels gained), Jewelcrafting costs 9-10 gold to get to 400 (which is 7 levels for your character). If you have been doing dailies, these gold amounts should not be an issue
  • dailies give scrolls of experience, so do monthly login rewards which result in another 10 levels in tomes of knowledge
  • try to keep gear up to date every 5 - 10 levels
  • make sure to keep your gathering tools up to date and gather materials on the way
  • participate in events close by

As such, let's assume you just hit level 30. You can do the level 30 story missions, which will immediately get you to level 32-33. Then you can run around the level 25-35 maps (remember, there is more than 1 map per level tier) just unlocking waypoints and hero points which would net another 2-3 levels (without any fighting). Once you are level 36-37, craft a bit cooking to hit level 40. Rinse and repeat. Obviously if you do events or heart quests, the amount of experience required from crafting becomes less.

You could also level to 60, then level cooking and jewelcrafting and be close to level 80. Personally I'd suggest to use those levels from crafting to bridge gaps to next story missions, but that is personal preference.

Here is the one big one though: do NOT grind enemies. It is literally one of the worst ways to get experience in this game.