in twitch.Why are there few people watching Guild Wars 2?

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:If we keep investigating this topic, we will discover the main players of GW2 are ....dun dun dun...older adults.

Where is this "statistic" coming from? There are plenty of adults who play WoW and other MMORPGs...

Keep in mind, Warcraft is a 25 year old franchise, with WoW alone being 15 years old.

Statistic?

More like intuition.

Well then I'd have to suggest that your intuition is...incorrect.

Why?

GW is a going on 15 year old franchise. Even the preteens are goin on 30 now.

Right...the same with WoW. So how does that make GW2 any different and therefore lend credence to age being a factor?

Blizzard has more games that can stimulate crossovers.

What makes Guild Wars appealing to younger folks, or really MMOs in general?

(Some MMOs moved to console and have bikini armor, but that's all I can think of)

@snowflurry.9624 said:Why would i waste precious game time (and rl time) watching someone else play when i can play for myself? It doesn't make sense. I only watch special (official) streams like the one on 30 august, presenting the new LS season.

This is why the game has no twitch presence. The players don't understand the value of watching twitch or why anyone else would want to do it. This has been the case from my observation for the last 4 years when streaming first got popular.

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

@snowflurry.9624 said:Why would i waste precious game time (and rl time) watching someone else play when i can play for myself? It doesn't make sense. I only watch special (official) streams like the one on 30 august, presenting the new LS season.

This is why the game has no twitch presence. The players don't understand the value of watching twitch or why anyone else would want to do it. This has been the case from my observation for the last 4 years when streaming first got popular.

Okay. Based on my observation. Guild wars 2 is a casual game that majority have casual player base who only plays the game whenever they want. For example they play 5 hours a month. So i dont think those kind of people care about streamer playing the game.

@"knomslayer.9457" said:Okay. Based on my observation. Guild wars 2 is a casual game that majority have casual player base who only plays the game whenever they want. For example they play 5 hours a month. So i dont think those kind of people care about streamer playing the game.

Fortunately there are lots of players that actually play this game, I wouldn't consider someone that plays 5 hours a month a "player", and keep it alive. If all (or even most) of the players thought that way the game would be dead by now. But it's not because there are tons of players that play every day and populate it.

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:Why do people even stream? It's such a peculiar mentality to me.Someone used the word narcissistic earlier. That's quite pejorative, but it does seem to describe streaming behaviour pretty well.

i don´t know, is a

• book author
  • radio host
  • professor
  • musician
  • forum poster
  • .....................also automaticly a narcisist for sharing his work/mind/activities/...?

@sigur.9453 said:

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:Why do people even stream? It's such a peculiar mentality to me.Someone used the word narcissistic earlier. That's quite pejorative, but it does seem to describe streaming behaviour pretty well.

i don´t know, is a
  • book author
  • radio host
  • professor
  • musician
  • forum poster
  • .....................also automaticly a narcisist for sharing his work/mind/activities/...?

This makes me feel that mmo players are going the way of the dinosaurs. I notice mmo players are usually the first to call out mobile games as not being real games either so, it's not surprising that streaming isnt in their repitore as well.

People enjoy watching other people play games for the same reason why people enjoy watching other people play sports. They like it. Its entertaining.....

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@preacher.9370 said:unless you're stuck on something and want a video to see how to do it, why watch other people play when you can just play the game yourself?

Exactly. About the only thing I watch is how to get to a vista that is kicking my butt. Other than that... why is this even a thing?

... and you wouldn't go to a stream for thatThat's why youtube channels for GW2 do way better than live streaming.

@Xar.6279 said:Every of this game modes were able to bring pretty big audience. We saw it in the past.When? Where? GW2 twitch numbers were
always
terrible.

It depends on the individual - you can stream just about anything, for any reason. The people who try to make a living out of streaming? Beats me. But I do see the point in watching devs or people I know personally, and I'll watch interviews, announcements and special events. Further from the gaming sphere I also watch Josh Foreman's art stream from time to time, which is more of a streamed studio environment than entertainment - if you're working on your own project at the same time it's good company, but would otherwise be pretty boring.

@knomslayer.9457 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Because gw2 is more entertain to play than to watch.I doubt even know why game channels are popular in the first. You're waching someone else having fun.(Strictly talking about lets play streams. There are people who can amusing videos ABOUT games)

So world of warcraft is more entertaining to watch than play?

Apparently. The people must not like the game very much to rather watch other people play

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:Because gw2 is more entertain to play than to watch.I doubt even know why game channels are popular in the first. You're waching someone else having fun.(Strictly talking about lets play streams. There are people who can amusing videos ABOUT games)

Apparently. The people must not like the game very much to rather watch other people play

Apparently people that watch sports must not like the sport very much if they’d rather watch than play.

Apparently people that watch music performances must not like the music very much if they’d rather watch than play it themselves.

Apparently people that watch TV/movies must not like the their lives very much if they’d rather watch events through imaginary characters than experience them firsthand.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Apparently people that watch sports must not like the sport very much if they’d rather watch than play.

Apparently people that watch music performances must not like the music very much if they’d rather watch than play it themselves.

Apparently people that watch TV/movies must not like the their lives very much if they’d rather watch events through imaginary characters than experience them firsthand.

The difference there being that those levels of activities require years of dedicated training.I get you'd watch a championship of a game because that's not a playing field the average Joe can access.What i don't get is why you'd watch another average Joe play

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

The difference there being that those levels of activities require years of dedicated training.I get you'd watch a championship of a game because that's not a playing field the average Joe can access.What i don't get is why you'd watch another average Joe play

Because that "average Joe" is an entertainer. Most of the time i watch a streamer i don't watch because of the gameplay, i watch the stream for the streamer's commentary.

GW2 targets casual players with both its design and its marketing (and as an adult with a busy life, I truly appreciate that fact).

Casual players are less likely to even know what Twitch or "streaming" is, let alone watch it.

If the bulk of a game's playerbase isn't interested or aware of Twitch, there is a distinct disincentive for anyone to attempt to stream the game.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

No they don’t. Anyone can learn to play an instrument. Anyone can learn to play a sport. Six years olds do it all the time.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

No they don’t. Anyone can learn to play an instrument. Anyone can learn to play a sport. Six years olds do it all the time.

Let's see them score against Messi, then.But in all seriousness. 'Most people' only watch junior or public competitions of a friend, family, or child participates. Or if they're in the sport themselves with the purpose of learning a thing or two.