Selling Legendary Weapons

Have you ever looked at another character wielding a Legendary Weapon and wondered if they crafted it from scratch, bought it with cash, found the precursor in a box, or won it in a game? I know I don’t. And I don’t feel if I see another character with the same weapon it cheapens the ones I may already have.

My point is I wish all Legendary Weapons were able to be crafted and sold, not just Gen 1. Some people enjoy the fun of crafting high-end shinies but would never use that specific skin. If you run mostly Norn, you could make some extra gold crafting “The HMS Divinity” or “Shooshadoo” for someone playing an Asura Deadeye Pirate or Guardian. “The Binding of Ipos” may fit someone else’s Necromancer or Mesmer but you have no use for it.

It’s a gold-sink for the overall gaming economy, players get the satisfaction of earning/selling something they built, and someone else is able to buy something they want. I didn’t make the truck I drive, but I was willing to spend money to get what I wanted. The profit earned allowed them to make more for someone else.

The downside will be the player’s reaction to (more) people running around with something they didn’t “earn.” Short term values will be chaotic until those people who initially buy have their lust for that Legendary satiated.

I know it’s not a popular idea and will not happen, but I can dream anyway.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:The reason why the second generation cannot be sold is that is what a lot of players were demanding that they wanted.

Indeed, but why they demanded this? Because they wanted a sign that you indeed crafted that weapon. And you did not buy them from TP using your credit card. This was valid for the first 4 gen2 Legendary. The next 12 ..... HM. You can buy all the needed materials. If you have the GoE (for Maguma - the 4 gifts you achieve for map completion there) and GoB you can craft such a "legendary" in 30 minutes by buying everything from TP. Exactly what the players wanted to NOT happen when they demanded to not sell these weapons.

So, the reason for not selling them is not valid anymore. Then, why to not sell them?

You can buy the curios but you cannot buy the gizmos, they take account bound currency. Granted it's easy to get currency.Also you cannot buy crystalline ingots, you either do Dragonstand or you farm PoF to get that currency. You CAN buy the amalgamated and ecto but not the obsidian shards.

Anyone who has a second Gen has put in reasonable effort.

@"Cristalyan.5728" said:If you have the GoE (for Maguma - the 4 gifts you achieve for map completion there) and GoB you can craft such a "legendary" in 30 minutes by buying everything >from TP.

Except for the:

• 290 Tributes
  • Ball of Dark Energy
  • 250 Fulgurite
  • 250 Crystalline Ingot
  • Vision Crystal
  • Having the required crafting level to make many of these components and precursors

But yeah, everything else you can buy from the TP....

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Cristalyan.5728" said:If you have the GoE (for Maguma - the 4 gifts you achieve for map completion there) and GoB you can craft such a "legendary" in 30 minutes by
buying
everything >from TP.

Except for the:
  • 290 Tributes
  • Ball of Dark Energy
  • 250 Fulgurite
  • 250 Crystalline Ingot
  • Vision Crystal
  • Having the required crafting level to make many of these components and precursors

If you do a Maguma completion (for the .... HoT exploration gift) you can have enough Bottle of Airship Oil / Auric Dust / Ley line sparks for the fulgurite.Then from DS you can have the Crystalline Ore. BUY the Amalgamated gemstone from TP and voila the 250 Crystalline Ingots. A vision Crystal cannot be a problem. But, in case you don't have any, you can salvage an ascendant weapon (dropped from raid / fractal - not crafted) and you can have the Vision Crystal + Ball of dark Energy.

290 tributes =) You can have them by mixing Elder Wood + Mithrill + shards. You can buy the shards from any LS3 map. It costs 2 900 Unbound magic (for an offhand weapon - a little more if you craft a two handed weapon). If you don't have 2 900 UM then you should not try a Legendary. But, from what I understand, this detail (2900 UM) represents the reason to not sell a gen2 legendary? It is such an impossible deed to have 2900 UM that it keeps prestige?

@"Cristalyan.5728" said:this detail (2900 UM) represents the reason to not sell a gen2 legendary? It is such an impossible deed to have 2900 UM that it keeps prestige?

I said nothing of the kind.You stated something that was factually incorrect. I corrected you.You seem upset about it, though I don't know why, facts are facts.If you don't like being corrected, focus more on constructing a fact based post and less on emotion based hyperbolic framing.

What's funny though is your reply as an attempt to double-down, while still ignoring the fallacies you posted earlier. Your follow up post would have been better had it just been "My mistake, excluding those, everything else you can buy from the TP". But since you are allowed to edit posts, it isn't too late!

Don't see why it's relevant. I prefer the Gen 2 legends being account bound because I do happen to like that you had to do stuff in game to get it. Even if the stuff isn't difficult, a lot of it takes time.And even if your argument was true that you could just buy everything with gold from the TP...then why does the legendary need to be sellable? People can just buy the stuff and make it. Dwayna forbid you have to do some mystic forging and crafting. Also not a huge fan of the legendary selling people do for a profit, the way people sell Gift of Mastery seems a bit questionable to me.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:The reason why the second generation cannot be sold is that is what a lot of players were demanding that they wanted.

Indeed, but why they demanded this? Because they wanted a sign that you indeed crafted that weapon. And you did not buy them from TP using your credit card. This was valid for the first 4 gen2 Legendary. The next 12 ..... HM. You can buy all the needed materials. If you have the GoE (for Maguma - the 4 gifts you achieve for map completion there) and GoB you can craft such a "legendary" in 30 minutes by
buying
everything from TP. Exactly what the players wanted to NOT happen when they demanded to not sell these weapons.

So, the reason for not selling them is not valid anymore. Then, why to not sell them?

You can’t buy everything for gold so you still need to earn them. Let’s also be honest that it’ll take much longer than 30 minutes.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

@Cristalyan.5728 said:If you have the GoE (for Maguma - the 4 gifts you achieve for map completion there) and GoB you can craft such a "legendary" in 30 minutes by
buying
everything >from TP.

Except for the:
  • 290 Tributes
  • Ball of Dark Energy
  • 250 Fulgurite
  • 250 Crystalline Ingot
  • Vision Crystal

If you do a Maguma completion (for the .... HoT exploration gift) you can have enough Bottle of Airship Oil / Auric Dust / Ley line sparks for the fulgurite.

As someone who has crafted all of the Legendaries, you’re wrong. You do not get anywhere near enough from just doing map completion. You actually have to make an effort and open the map specific chests with the keys that go with them. I found ley line sparks to be the ones that required the most effort.

Then from DS you can have the Crystalline Ore. BUY the Amalgamated gemstone from TP and voila the 250 Crystalline Ingots. A vision Crystal cannot be a problem. But, in case you don't have any, you can salvage an ascendant weapon (dropped from raid / fractal - not crafted) and you can have the Vision Crystal + Ball of dark Energy.

In order to get enough crystalline ore, you have to do DS at least three times. This is assuming that you farmed the other maps to buy extra machetes. You cannot buy gold to get around this.

290 tributes =) You can have them by mixing Elder Wood + Mithrill + shards. You can buy the shards from any LS3 map. It costs 2 900 Unbound magic (for an offhand weapon - a little more if you craft a two handed weapon). If you don't have 2 900 UM then you should not try a Legendary. But, from what I understand, this detail (2900 UM) represents the reason to not sell a gen2 legendary? It is such an impossible deed to have 2900 UM that it keeps prestige?

Unbound magic takes time to earn and is another thing which cannot be bought with gold.

There are many elements which still require players to play the game in order to acquire the legendary weapons. I suggest you record how much time you spend on tasks that cannot be bypassed with gold when making your next legendary.

i have crafted Sunrise before the collection, Aurora ( most fun ), Astralaria, Twilight with collection -> Eternity. (and i have the pre for Vision ).

Yesterday after crafting Eternity i wanted to start a new legendary. The Flameseeker Prophecies and The Shining Blade.pre for The Flameseeker Prophecies isnt worth doing the pre collection. just buy the pre for 200g.Then i was littlebit confused about The Shining Blade. i thought it would be like Astralaria, but this shards ... looks weired to me. i dont think i will craft it and i'm going for Bolt.So if i could buy The Shining Blade maybe i would do it, but not "craft" it. Or i missed something and dont understand the timegate behind the shard system.

@"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:i have crafted Sunrise before the collection, Aurora ( most fun ), Astralaria, Twilight with collection -> Eternity. (and i have the pre for Vision ).

Yesterday after crafting Eternity i wanted to start a new legendary. The Flameseeker Prophecies and The Shining Blade.pre for The Flameseeker Prophecies isnt worth doing the pre collection. just buy the pre for 200g.Then i was littlebit confused about The Shining Blade. i thought it would be like Astralaria, but this shards ... looks weired to me. i dont think i will craft it and i'm going for Bolt.So if i could buy The Shining Blade maybe i would do it, but not "craft" it. Or i missed something and dont understand the timegate behind the shard system.

The shards are not that bad.

What people tend to do is craft 300 shards for an offhand legendary weapon. This is because the mithril ore and elder wood requirements are less. They then convert those in the mystic forge into a chest which allows them to select the shards that they want. This ends up saving considerable gold in the end.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Enormous_Chest_of_Legendary_Shards

Not being able to sell them means that it is somethign you can be sure the player did a lot of work to get them. While for the others just buying gems with real money and trading them into gold is possible.

I like it that way. I don't own a legendary yet. But that system is fine. You can get legendary for the convenience (stats an being able to change them) by buying. If you want. Not forced to to grind and other stuff. Still you can get the others to show off and say that you did all the stuff and no one can say "oh rly? maybe you just bought it with real money".

Disagree with OP legendary crafted weapons give long term goals, I've made 2 and both were incredibly satisfying to make. If they were also on sale it would totally devalue this as a goal for me personally, I would probably do neither. I like that classic concept of prestigious gear in a game, and gw2 needs long term goals. Furthermore, items are prestigious because of the effort required to get it- case in point, bifrost - a skin that started off being a great piece to enjoy - now it's about as attractive as a half decent weapon skin - I. E it's not the shiny effects that ultimately makes a weapon a long lasting desireable thing.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Cristalyan.5728" said:If you have the GoE (for Maguma - the 4 gifts you achieve for map completion there) and GoB you can craft such a "legendary" in 30 minutes by
buying
everything >from TP.

Except for the:
  • 290 Tributes
  • Ball of Dark Energy
  • 250 Fulgurite
  • 250 Crystalline Ingot
  • Vision Crystal

Ball of Dark Energy can mostly be bought since that is just a matter of getting an ascended weapon or armor and and ascended salvage kit. That is around a 35g value.

The crafting levels can also be mostly purchased.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Stalkingwolf.6035" said:i have crafted Sunrise before the collection, Aurora ( most fun ), Astralaria, Twilight with collection -> Eternity. (and i have the pre for Vision ).

The shards are not that bad.

What people tend to do is craft 300 shards for an offhand legendary weapon. This is because the mithril ore and elder wood requirements are less. They then convert those in the mystic forge into a chest which allows them to select the shards that they want. This ends up saving considerable gold in the end.

That is mostly just for 2 handed weapons. For 1h there isn't much of a saving.

300 shard of the dark arts + 65 shard of the crown ~541g290 shard of the crown ~544g

Considering I've sold a legendary (and may well do it again one day) I can hardly object to them being tradable, and personally I don't care if other people think I bought the ones I have, I made them for my own enjoyment and unless someone starts sending me hate mail over it (which seems pretty unlikely) random strangers arbitrary guesses at where they came from aren't going to affect that.

I can understand why they made the Gen 2 ones account bound and it doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't object to them being tradable either.

I've crafted legendaries, bought a legendary, sold a legendary, and use legendaries -- all Gen1. I'm fine with things the way they are, but wouldn't care if a change was made to allow more to be sold. More variety on the market would be nice, but I'm certainly happy with the ones that can be bought.

Here is what I think-When people buy off the TP converting gems to gold they are HELPING ANET PAY THEIR STAFF, which also means we can continue to play our lovable game, nothing more nothing less , but i can understand the frustration for people who go through a lengthy process to gain these weapons only to find a 1 month old player with twilight on their back (!?)

Just for kittens and giggles, months ago someone called me a 'cheater' probably because I have eternity equipped and Im only sitting on 4K Achievement points, but little did he know i made a lot of gold from when i first started this game in 2012, I had quit Diablo 3 before GW2 released and made alot of money from the RMAH and converted that to real money and spent that on gems. I had bought a few dusks and dawn when they were being sold for under 100g. Quit and came back 5 years later and sold em all for almost x8 of the price i bought for. But I didn't bother explaining this to the poor uneducated munter of a kitten but I was also laughing because even if I had bought eternity right out with gems I am supporting the game and contributing to the devs.

Without people buying and spending Gems on the TP this game would not be alive guys and I think it was a really good idea for ANET to allow people to buy Gold with Gems and it works because its not P2W just aesthetics.

@"ArchonWing.9480" said:The 2nd set of legendaries is designed so you had to play expansion content it was centered around. So it can't be bought (but some materials can!)

The subjective notion of whether someone actually "earned" a legendary is subjective, and not of anything of value.

It is subjective from the clients perspective, however, from a design perspective legendaries = long term goals that cannot be shortcut - very important aspect of a mmorpg with a Gear power ceiling.

Sellers' main objective => money (so 1st Gen legy sellable)Prestigers main objective => prestige and recognition for their hard work ingame (so 2nd Gen legy accountbound)

If you tip the scales in either direction in favor of one over the other, ppl will get dissatisfied...

If you link the weapon in chat while standing in Lions Arch, you'll get nice response from ppl based on the legendary... You might not get those responses if everything can be bought for gold...

Everytime I link those 4items before dumping them into the mystic forge, the responses I get makes me feel good about the work I put into crafting those legy

btw, I crafted kudzu, adinfinitum, exordium