Q&A with the Narrative Team - Another broken promise? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Q&A with the Narrative Team - Another broken promise?

On the https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/83465/q-a-with-the-narrative-team/p1, it was said that:

@Julia Nardin.9824 said:
The ArenaNet Narrative Team is here to answer your story-related questions through Friday, August 2!

The last answer from the Narrative Team was on August 1.

Later in the same topic, Stephane said:

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:
The Narrative Team will give a few more answers next week, whenever team members have time for it

And nope, they didn't.

(And don't say "they just didn't have the time!". The Narrative Team talked in another topic, so the time was there.)

What need was there to lie about something so small?

It's amazing that, the few times ArenaNet bothers to talk to the players, they make a promise only to break it soon after.

This is ArenaNet's communication. This is how much they deserve our trust.

How about some anti eyes bleeding options? Here's the direct link to the concept.

Tagged:

Comments

• Tarlonniel.6534Tarlonniel.6534 Member ✭✭✭

I guess we stumped them.

Still wish I'd asked where the heck Keiran Thackeray's grave is...

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019

@Vayne.8563 said:
    This is why Anet should never say anything. Because everything they say they do is automatically a promise. They obviously got busy with something most likely unexpected. It's something the team is doing in addition to their normal responsibilities. I for one would rather have them working on content. But you know, this whole broken promise thing is most often used for things that were neither promises nor broken.

Man, ngl its kitten when they say they will do smth and then not doing it, without going back and updating us. Unless the "we will answer more questions next week"" was the "sorry guys we said till aug 2nd but our team wont have time on the 2nd" update.

Meme title aside this is basically the problem with anet's communication. OP, good bait.

• IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Vayne.8563 said:
    This is why Anet should never say anything. Because everything they say they do is automatically a promise. They obviously got busy with something most likely unexpected. It's something the team is doing in addition to their normal responsibilities. I for one would rather have them working on content. But you know, this whole broken promise thing is most often used for things that were neither promises nor broken.

"Something came up and the devs are going to be busy, so we'er cancelling the rest of the Q and A."

That took about 25 seconds and could be done by the community rep.

It's a lack of consideration, not breaking a promise.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• Maybe the OP needs to reset their expectations.

When you say to a friend, "I'll call you Friday," fully intending to call them Friday, but then skritts hit the fan and you have to travel to Timbuktu urgently and don't get around to calling them... do they call you up and say, "you liar, stop breaking promises"?

Or does everyone realize that things change. That good intentions aren't enough to make time available for busy people.

Besides that, the thread remained open until the 2nd of August, as advertised. People could post questions.

As we've seen in the past, sometime the devs will return 2-6 weeks later to respond (even if not always with the most useful answers).

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• And there you go! Thanks for the update. :+1:

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:

"Something came up and the devs are going to be busy, so we'er cancelling the rest of the Q and A."

That took about 25 seconds and could be done by the community rep.

It's a lack of consideration, not breaking a promise.

If they know at that moment they're cancelling it. But they already said devs would be answering questions in their spare time, I'm pretty sure, so that shouldn't be necessary. That is, it's not officially cancelled. Do you know how many times I planned to do something, thought I'd have time and something's come up? Honestly this is an impossible standard to hold anyone too. This isn't some huge crazy deal that was broken. It's not like the legendary weapons that were supposed to come out with HoT. That's a different story. This is a thing devs are answering questions, many of which were answered, afterwhich they ran out of time or something came up. They didn't plan to end it, they just didn't get done with what they were doing to get back to it.

I'm not sure why its' so hard for people to understand stuff like this. This isn't even some in game thing. Maybe they should have just cancelled it but why do that if you think you can get back to it?

• knomslayer.9457knomslayer.9457 Member ✭✭✭

@Erasculio.2914 said:
    On the https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/83465/q-a-with-the-narrative-team/p1, it was said that:

@Julia Nardin.9824 said:
    The ArenaNet Narrative Team is here to answer your story-related questions through Friday, August 2!

The Narrative Team will give a few more answers next week, whenever team members have time for it

And nope, they didn't.

(And don't say "they just didn't have the time!". The Narrative Team talked in another topic, so the time was there.)

It's amazing that, the few times ArenaNet bothers to talk to the players, they make a promise only to break it soon after.

Thee are busy making the game great again! Thou patience is needed. Great things take time!

• borgs.6103borgs.6103 Member ✭✭✭

I had a question for the Audio team that was answered with "I'll get back to you" last December. At least the Narrative Team will get back to it according to Mr. Abernathy.

Hi.

• And we appreciate your dedication! :star:

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update. Hoping an answer to my chained up forgotten question is in that forthcoming answer set too!!

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

Awesome! It's only 18 days... :#

The wound is the place where the Light enters you ~Stephane Lo Presti

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Erasculio.2914 said:

@Julia Nardin.9824 said:

And nope, they didn't.

I guess I'm the only person that read "next week" as being when ever they have free time from working on the story to read the questions and research the answer(s).? Even though "next week" under normal circumstances means the week following the current week it can also mean any week there after under certain context...everything is based on context...learn context and your life will be much easier.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    Maybe the OP needs to reset their expectations.

When you say to a friend, "I'll call you Friday," fully intending to call them Friday, but then skritts hit the fan and you have to travel to Timbuktu urgently and don't get around to calling them... do they call you up and say, "you liar, stop breaking promises"?

I assume the op doesnt have a community manager to communicate those things ij their stead. If they do tho, well no excuse then.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:
    This is why anet doesn't tell us anything anymore. You people nail them to a post and call them straight up liars, sometimes for the smallest things. Chill, the skritt, out!
    If they can't make it, they should've made a post cancelling something announced. But your aggressive call outs are the reason they're normally so radio silent

Keep excusing the lack of communication.

@Tom Abernathy.5893 said:
    Hey folks—Sorry about that. I wanted to answer some more questions before the 2nd but was busy with other pressing work stuff for GW2, and in fact I did write a few more answers over that weekend. The idea was that I would do so in a doc, then one of our fab Marketing folks would unlock the thread and allow me to post my answers...except what actually happened was that my week turned out to be crazy busy and I never had time to do it. However, the good news is, those answers are still coming. I’m out on vacation this week, but even in my absence, Julia’s gonna try to get them posted while I’m gone. Worst case, I’ll do it myself next weekend. Thanks for your patience!

Thanks for letting us know, enjoy your vaca ^^

• MetalGirl.2370MetalGirl.2370 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019

I guess I will agree with op.
    Anet shouldn't be scared to announce what they are doing though, but rather word it different, as in - "We will be doing x next week, but there's a chance we might not be able to, it depends how busy we'll be"
    So that would let people know to look out for it but not to really expect it 100%.
    You people are obviously defending Anet, cuz ... well... it's Anet, but if someone IRL told you "hey I'll do that for you next week" and when they show up and say "nah didn't do it", you'd probably be displeased because you expected them to since they said they will. Don't know why people think so highly of Anet, it's their job to do things and as a consumer who is giving them money, ofc I should expect them to do something they said they will do unless they tell me it might not happen.

STOP TELLING ME I'M NOT FORCED TO DO SOMETHING - I AM AN AP HUNTER SO YES, I HAVE TO DO IT
    ....AND GIVE HAIRSTYLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Yargesh.4965Yargesh.4965 Member ✭✭✭

@MetalGirl.2370 said:
    Anet shouldn't be scared to announce what they are doing though, but rather word it different, as in - "We will be doing x next week, but there's a chance we might not be able to, it depends how busy we'll be"
    So that would let people know to look out for it but not to really expect it 100%.
    You people are obviously defending Anet, cuz ... well... it's Anet, but if someone IRL told you "hey I'll do that for you next week" and when they show up and say "nah didn't do it", you'd probably be displeased because you expected them to since they said they will. Don't know why people think so highly of Anet, it's their job to do things and as a consumer who is giving them money, ofc I should expect them to do something they said they will do unless they tell me it might not happen.

I am going to have to guess that the dev who directly responded falls under your defending ANET just to defend them category.

• Psientist.6437Psientist.6437 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019

The studio could avoid this situation if they committed to using pinky swears or crossing their heart magic. This is entirely on them.

More seriously...

Tom Abernathy is vacationing at the beach. Who lives near the beach? The DSD! Season 5 location confirmed, underwater Cantha!

all primes work and not tearing down has value
    ready purrlayer @ any parsed feels enhance the value of something that is already worth everything
    what other chordal approach but penultimate singing along with other quantum cuddle clocks

• MetalGirl.2370MetalGirl.2370 Member ✭✭✭

@Yargesh.4965 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

I am going to have to guess that the dev who directly responded falls under your defending ANET just to defend them category.

It's pretty obvious I'm talking about players, but you can act smart if that makes you feel better.

STOP TELLING ME I'M NOT FORCED TO DO SOMETHING - I AM AN AP HUNTER SO YES, I HAVE TO DO IT
    ....AND GIVE HAIRSTYLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Is it really necessary to be so negative about the tiniest things. This sort of negative behaviour is why there is no communication possible. Always the next drama of the week. Always that demanding tone is not good for healthy communication, it goes both ways.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

...but if someone IRL told you "hey I'll do that for you next week" and when they show up and say "nah didn't do it", you'd probably be displeased because you expected them to since they said they will.

I probably wouldn't call them a liar though.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• keenedge.9675keenedge.9675 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019

This is why anet doesn't tell us anything anymore. You people nail them to a post and call them straight up liars, sometimes for the smallest things. [sic] These aggressive call outs are the reason they're normally so radio silent

3 years ago, what was promised was that they would stop communicating with us except for imminent changes.

Players demand communication (entertainment/gossip), but it is NOT their right. In competitive industries, smart companies NEVER reveal future plans unless it helps them gain market position. Any other thoughts are foolish to expect.

Moral Statute Machine: John Spartan, you are fined five credits for repeated violations of the verbal morality statute.

edited August 12, 2019

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:
    This is why anet doesn't tell us anything anymore. You people nail them to a post and call them straight up liars, sometimes for the smallest things. Chill, the skritt, out!
    If they can't make it, they should've made a post cancelling something announced. But your aggressive call outs are the reason they're normally so radio silent

I'm not saying i like it.
    But you guys throwing gas on the fire isn't gonna make them come out with marshmallows

Is this gas on the fire? To simply state that the qna was cut short and from what i understand even the continueation of it last week didnt happen?

I dont care if they set a goal or smth smth but then dont manage to deliver at the end, all i want is for them to let us know in advance, a simple "hey the narative team is more busy than expected today and they wont be able to continue with the qna as planned, we will update you at a later date on when the rest of the answers will arive".

I can understand if the op was toxic and called the devs and the company a bunch of names and even tho i find the title clickbait i think his claim holds true. Just lets us know.

@keenedge.9675 said:

This is why anet doesn't tell us anything anymore. You people nail them to a post and call them straight up liars, sometimes for the smallest things. [sic] These aggressive call outs are the reason they're normally so radio silent

3 years ago, what was promised was that they would stop communicating with us except for imminent changes.

Players demand communication (entertainment/gossip), but it is NOT their right. In competitive industries, smart companies NEVER reveal future plans unless it helps them gain market position. Any other thoughts are foolish to expect.

I guess SE, Ggg and DE are all stupid for communicating with their fans, im sure their games are suffering just for that as we speak... oh wait.

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

They are talking to us on their vacays and still you complain?
    Honestly.

• yann.1946yann.1946 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

The devs did say that they would try if they weren't busy. So they did as you said they should

• Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

So much anti for something that was never actually promised.. guess some players just need to take a few Kalma pills with a hot coco and a large dose of fresh air to boot.
    Seriously was it really worth all the"your liars, you broke my self perceived promise, you bad shame on you!!"..

Oh well at least no Skritt were harmed in the making of this nonsense.

Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

• Erasculio.2914Erasculio.2914 Member ✭✭✭✭

However, the good news is, those answers are still coming. I’m out on vacation this week, but even in my absence, Julia’s gonna try to get them posted while I’m gone.

I appreciate that you have replied to us during your vacation, but honestly:

• This is the kind of thing ArenaNet could have told us about before their self-defined deadline had expired
    • It should not have required someone to interrupt his vacation to talk to us. How many community managers does GW2 have? One of them should have talked to the players and told us what you did

Being able to ask questions directly to the narrative team was great; the communication around it was a failure. I hope ArenaNet uses this as a learning experience and manages to do better in the future.

How about some anti eyes bleeding options? Here's the direct link to the concept.

• Seera.5916Seera.5916 Member ✭✭✭

@Erasculio.2914 said:

However, the good news is, those answers are still coming. I’m out on vacation this week, but even in my absence, Julia’s gonna try to get them posted while I’m gone.

I appreciate that you have replied to us during your vacation, but honestly:

• This is the kind of thing ArenaNet could have told us about before their self-defined deadline had expired
    • It should not have required someone to interrupt his vacation to talk to us. How many community managers does GW2 have? One of them should have talked to the players and told us what you did

Being able to ask questions directly to the narrative team was great; the communication around it was a failure. I hope ArenaNet uses this as a learning experience and manages to do better in the future.

They did in their announcement. That they would post more answers if there was time. No posts meant that there was not time. Simple as that. There may not have even been time to give a heads up to the community manager(s) that they would not have time, which means any interruption by the community manager would have been detrimental to their work as well.

I don't think the situation was mishandled at all. Or anywhere near a failure.

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2019

Just goes to show why we don't hear from time to time if these kind of threads happen.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.