Tips for a starting Revenant

kiwi.1938

I'm sorry to disturb, but quite frankly I have no clue of how to Revenant, so I was wondering if anyone had some tips for a power revenant build?I thought about using staff with it, mainly because I enjoy the animation, but I've died to such a degree that asking for help is the only thing I can think about x_x

Please specify content.

If it is open world then just by camping Staff and Jalis is enough to get by.

Yu can learn more intricate details and practice later through guides, videos and such.

Pvp and Wvw will be very tricky because Revenant being a very opportunistic class which sometimes rely on blowing a chunk of Energy to create an opportunity means yu have to be extremely patient, read opponents well and plan yur moves due to Energy limitations as well as cooldowns.

Revenant leveling advice is surprisingly sparse, because when HoT released we all received level 80 boosts... which we then used to make the new revenant profession. However, I can give some general advice PVE advice.

(1): Sword is love. Sword is life. You'll want to use sword to do most of your damage. The staff is a lower damage support weapon, the hammer is a lower damaging ranged weapon, the mace is a condi weapon.(2): For low levels, Legendary Dwarf Stance (Jalis) is the one you'll want to go for. The toggle skill of Vengeful Hammers is really strong, because it does a lot of damage and also heals you a lot.(3): The second legend you'll want to get is Legendary Assassin Stance (Shiro). Though not as good for general use as Jalis is, Shiro can do more damage with Impossible Odds, and it moves much faster.
(4): The first specialization/trait line you'll want to go for is Invocation. Invocation is pretty much a staple for every build, since it has a lot of great traits that are used for both offense and defense.(5): The staff is great for breaking defiance bars. The skill Surge of the Mists can usually break one by itself.

I say Revenant is more Weapon focused than other classes tend to be since the Energy system limits. You will be Legend swapping very often for energy. So dont camp a legend unless you need that specific role alone for a long fight, such as Support in WvW.

Ventari is not at peak. its ok. And can be fun to play sometimes in WvW, but in SPvP its dead so dont use.

Herald and Shiro is what you want to learn as soon as possible, since they dictate everything Revenant unfortunately. I hate those two legends but thats just me.

Dont be afraid to use legends outside their role.

Also Despite what Staff may seem, its not a real support weapon. People hear call it a Utility weapon as a way to compensate on how crappy it was originally designed. Serves no main role so its pretty much a permanent secondary weapon regardless of spec. Use a skill and swap back.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I say Revenant is more Weapon focused than other classes tend to be since the Energy system limits. You will be Legend swapping very often for energy. So dont camp a legend unless you need that specific role alone for a long fight, such as Support in WvW.

Ventari is not at peak. its ok. And can be fun to play sometimes in WvW, but in SPvP its dead so dont use.

Herald and Shiro is what you want to learn as soon as possible, since they dictate everything Revenant unfortunately. I hate those two legends but thats just me.

Also Despite what Staff may seem, its not a real support weapon. People hear call it a Utility weapon as a way to compensate on how crappy it was originally designed. Serves no main role so its pretty much a permanent secondary weapon regardless of spec. Use a skill and swap back.

Why dont use ventari in spvp, if a team can play with it :/

Offcorsse there are way much more easy ways to overperform but that where Anet failed with the gameplay balance and classes.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

@Knighthonor.4061 said:I say Revenant is more Weapon focused than other classes tend to be since the Energy system limits. You will be Legend swapping very often for energy. So dont camp a legend unless you need that specific role alone for a long fight, such as Support in WvW.

Why dont use ventari in spvp, if a team can play with it :/

Offcorsse there are way much more easy ways to overperform but that where Anet failed with the gameplay balance and classes.

SPvP is 5v5 (Generally) and with 3 capture points there will be a lot of 1v1 and 1v2s going on. Ventari is poor self sustain but OK group healing compared to other support classes that have good team support and great self sustain. They don't have those same sacrifices Revenant healers make. Also Ventari balance in SPvP is poorly done. It's overnerfed compared to its WvW counterpart that's a major disadvantage. Also keep in mind how rampant Condi Elite specs are like Mesmers and Scourge etc, that's a nightmare across the board and especially for Revenant. And I am speaking in terms of fighting against equally skilled players.

Ventari lacks stability, which is a must for a healer in both spvp and wvw. Druid suffers from the same problem also. The number of cc's in the game has increased after PoF, drastically, so to be able to heal in the heat of the moment, you need to survive first. With good positioning and experience you can do it but still it depends on the enemy team having a thief/another focuss cc on you.

Personally i really hate how revs are forced to use shiro + glint most of the time. You can drop glint for kalla (dps kalla works ok-ish) but cant drop shiro sadly. So my advice for you is learn to play shiro. Learn not to waste energy and cd. Dont be afraid to use different combos and traitlines. Min-maxing works only to an extend. And dont forget, shield is not as bad as people claim it to be :) (Love the shield, biased here)

Contrary to advice in this thread, you can actually drop Herald in favour of Renegade to use the Alacrigrade build, which brings nice group utility (alacrity, might, life steal, protection) and OK DPS. You can also run Viper's condition again with Renegade, and Demon. BUT none of that will help you while you level. Sadly for levelling you are probably going to want Dwarf and Assassin stances and two swords. You can certainly run Staff instead of Hammer for backup though, skill 5 is great for damage and break bar destruction, and skill 3 is a mobile block.

@kiwi.1938 said:I'm sorry to disturb, but quite frankly I have no clue of how to Revenant, so I was wondering if anyone had some tips for a power revenant build?I thought about using staff with it, mainly because I enjoy the animation, but I've died to such a degree that asking for help is the only thing I can think about x_x

I run it with either sword-sword/staff or sword-axe/staff. The staff looks sweet and the damage and cleave on it's auto is above average, but staff is more for the block on 3, condi cleanse on 4 and Breakbar destruction on 5.Staff is fun but it's a utility weapon. When played for power, Sword is essential.

If you are struggling to stay alive consider using Dwarf. It does nice damage with the hammers and offers protection and stability.Otherwise realize your heal on Glint, when timed right, is the most powerful self heal in the game and recognize what Sword 3 can do for you in terms of damage and mobility to avoid damage.

@kiwi.1938 said:I'm sorry to disturb, but quite frankly I have no clue of how to Revenant, so I was wondering if anyone had some tips for a power revenant build?I thought about using staff with it, mainly because I enjoy the animation, but I've died to such a degree that asking for help is the only thing I can think about x_x

Hey, herald is tough to learn, so don’t feel bad! Here’s my tips.

Sword/sword does incredible damage, especially with Impossible Odds toggled on. A big part of staying alive means killing things quickly, so learning how to get in, pop Impossible Odds, use sword 4, 5, and 2 in that order, and dodge back is a good way to burst things down. Sword 3 actually makes you evade too, so can be useful if you are standing in a damage zone. Bear in mind that it’s damage is split between targets so it’s not necessarily good for finishing off a single low health target.

Staff is really only useful for cc and condi cleanse, I use staff 5 for mobility sometimes. Staff 3 is neat if a mob is casting at you, it blocks projectiles.

If you are taking too much damage, it’s ok to back out. Again, Shiro is your best friend here. Use Riposting Shadows, to quickly dodge back out of combat, and then use Impossible Odds for the movement speed while kiting or running away! The dodge also breaks stuns and clears movement-impairing effects, so get used to using it as your panic button. It’s incredibly powerful! For getting back into combat, use Phase Traversal. It’s a good gap-closer, and makes your next attack unblockable.

The Glint heal makes you immortal, literally. For 3 seconds after using it, try to TAKE damage so that it heals you, but get out before the effect runs out. Keep Facet of Darkness on at all times when in Glint, the fury helps you kill things quicker.

Try to get used to legend swapping on cool down. I will usually prime myself for combat using Glint (get some fury and might stacks), then toggle to Shiro to deal the damage. Most questing mobs will be dead in a few hits from a furied up / mighted Herald waving two swords, with his Impossible Odds on!

If you don’t have access to Glint yet, then use Jalis. Pop the stability (the brick road) before going into combat, then toggle the spinning hammers on to deal damage. The F2 for Jalis is strong too, keep it on for some extra defensive value!

Have fun out there!