Suggestion: World Completion through Reward Tracks

X T D.6458

I know about all the controversy about Gift of battle for Legendaries and all that, but try to stay on topic please :)

So this idea is pretty simple. World completion would be separated by regions into 5 reward tracks. Each track is locked until the previous one is completed. The last track rewards 1 Gift of Exploration instead of 2 that you would get from Mapping. They will not reward the gold star by a characters name, the title "Been there, Done That" or any AP, and would not complete any hearts or unlock waypoints . Once all tracks are completed, they can be restarted, from the beginning. This would only be for core maps and first generation Legendaries.

1st Tier-Ascalon Reward Track-Standard Rewards2nd Tier- Shiverpeaks Reward Track-Standard Rewards (Locked until Ascalon is completed)3rd Tier- Maguuma Reward Track- Standard Rewards (Locked until Shiverpeaks is completed)4th Tier- Kryta Reward Track- Standard Rewards (Locked until Maguuma is completed)5th Tier- Orr Reward Track- Gift of Exploration (Locked until Kryta is completed)

It takes on average around 8 hours with boosts to complete a reward track, so it would take around 40 hours to complete it in total for 1 gift of exploration which is half of what you would get for World Completion. I think time wise it is about on par with how long you would spend doing this in PvE, however with less rewards.

Before offering the suggestion, it would be useful to take into account why World Map Completion is required. While ANet hasn't commented directly, it seems likely that the original intent was to show dedication to all major modes of the game: PvE via Map Completion, WvW via Gift of Battle, and ... well, not sure why there's no specific PvP requirement.

I don't see ANet being willing to spend any of their time to enable people to skip the PvE dedication bit, given how they have doubled down and then trebled down on the WvW dedication component, which the OP doesn't want to discuss.

That said, if a miracle happened and ANet changed their mind, sure, I'm with @Sovereign.1093: I'd be working on a lot more legendaries.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Before offering the suggestion, it would be useful to take into account why World Map Completion is required. While ANet hasn't commented directly, it seems likely that the original intent was to show dedication to all major modes of the game: PvE via Map Completion, WvW via Gift of Battle, and ... well, not sure why there's no specific PvP requirement.

I don't see ANet being willing to spend any of their time to enable people to skip the PvE dedication bit, given how they have doubled down and then trebled down on the WvW dedication component, which the OP doesn't want to discuss.

That said, if a miracle happened and ANet changed their mind, sure, I'm with @Sovereign.1093: I'd be working on a lot more legendaries.

There are a few more things I wanted to add. There are already things you can do for Legendaries without actually participating in a particular game mode. You can earn dungeon tokens through rewards tracks as well as armors and weapons. You also get badges of honors from achievement chests, which can also be used for the Big Spender daily where you don't even need to step foot into WvW and can progress a reward track. I personally believe that the idea of gating the Gift of Battle behind a reward track is to have people play in a game mode with a smaller population. PvE already sees regular scheduled updates with Living World releases and festivals, and has a higher population than WvW. Mapping is also done a lot faster now with mounts and gliding. Also this idea would allow players to avoid having to buy extra character slots or create new characters for more Gifts of Exploration as World Completion can only be done once per character. This would also only be for core maps and first generation Legendaries.

This would also not reward any-No title or AP for achievement-No gold star-Only 1 gift of exploration per cycle instead of 2. So time wise it is about similar to what you would spend mapping.-Would not complete any hearts or unlock any waypoints, so you would still have to take your character out to explore.

I'm not saying that there aren't inconsistencies, @X T D.6458. However, there are reasons for those differences that don't relate to ANet's softening their opinion on World Map Completion. For example: dungeon reward tracks were likely invented because they needed a lot of reward tracks quick when they first implemented them, and they didn't have many options at the time. And sure, people can bypass WvW participation by Big Spender ... except that would take months, rather than the limited engagement that active reward tracks require.

The point is that ANet seems extremely dis-inclined to revisit the requirements, especially to the point of inventing new reward tracks.Sure, they could do it and absolutely, there's precedent. I just can't imagine that they see it as good for the game overall.

If offered, I'd definitely take advantage of them.

I'd suggest that elegy mosaics have a reward track instead as they have multiple uses : 300 for Gift of the Rider (could've sworn it was 400) and quite a few (792) for the Funerary weapons. At 50-60 elegy mosaics per reward track it'd still take a while to attain funerary weaponset.The only issue would be exploration collection-based weapons such as staff (Nevermore), axe (Astralaria), pistol (HOPE), shortbow (Chuka & Champawat).

1st gen legendaries can be bought on the TP. If you assume 40 hours is a fair time requirement for it some people are likely to mention whatever is farm of the month with a gold per hour amount (which is cliche and gets old). Supposedly Gift of Exploration is 400g , so you're suggesting a 80g per reward track affair which throws it off other reward tracks due to the end weapon result being tradable.

Also I hope the Mist Lord weapons that they announced can be upgraded to legendary. Maybe require maxed WvW titles for it to turn into legendary (functionality-wise not skin) or something as a prerequisite instead of a lame requirement such as reward tracks. One maxed title = one weapon choice after material sinks, for example. To add to that given that likely <1% of WvW players have Ultimate Dominator , the title should mean a choice of a legendary or something worthwhile , not just another green and blue item from rankups.

edit:

@ArchonWing.9480 said:Let's kill 2 birds with one stone!

PvE'rs don't want to do WvW and WvW'ers don't want to do map completion.

So why not have a vendor that exchanges them?

1 Gift of Battle for 2 Gifts of Exploration + 50 gold1 Gift of Exploration for 2 Gifts of Battle +50 gold

This doesn't force people to do anything anymore, but it still is more efficient to do it the regular way.

I have multiples of Gift of Battle. For anyone that WvWs regularly they are trivial, and I would gladly pay the 50g any day to avoid mapping Tyria over and over.If Arenanet wants to make serious money off WvWers they should make it a 800 gem conversion.

Let's kill 2 birds with one stone!

1 Gift of Battle for 2 Gifts of Exploration + 50 gold1 Gift of Exploration for 2 Gifts of Battle +50 gold

This doesn't force people to do anything anymore, but it still is more efficient to do it the regular way.

@Infusion.7149 said:I'd suggest that elegy mosaics have a reward track instead as they have multiple uses : 300 for Gift of the Rider (could've sworn it was 400) and quite a few (792) for the Funerary weapons. At 50-60 elegy mosaics per reward track it'd still take a while to attain funerary weaponset.The only issue would be exploration collection-based weapons such as staff (Nevermore), axe (Astralaria), pistol (HOPE), shortbow (Chuka & Champawat).

1st gen legendaries can be bought on the TP. If you assume 40 hours is a fair time requirement for it some people are likely to mention whatever is farm of the month with a gold per hour amount (which is cliche and gets old). Supposedly Gift of Exploration is 400g , so you're suggesting a 80g per reward track affair which throws it off other reward tracks due to the end weapon result being tradable.

Also I hope the Mist Lord weapons that they announced can be upgraded to legendary. Maybe require maxed WvW titles for it to turn into legendary (functionality-wise not skin) or something as a prerequisite instead of a lame requirement such as reward tracks. One maxed title = one weapon choice after material sinks, for example. To add to that given that likely <1% of WvW players have Ultimate Dominator , the title should mean a choice of a legendary or something worthwhile , not just another green and blue item from rankups.

edit:

@ArchonWing.9480 said:Let's kill 2 birds with one stone!

I have multiples of Gift of Battle. For anyone that WvWs regularly they are trivial, and I would gladly pay the 50g any day to avoid mapping Tyria over and over.If Arenanet wants to make serious money off WvWers they should make it a 800 gem conversion.

Mistlord weapons will be upgradeable to legendaries? Source on this?

I am fine with this idea XTD - either way I was fine with doing it manually, butI am also fine grinding it out as reward tracks which I can spend my time in wvw doing defense/offense. I always feel bad when I have to do something else when my server is in need of a callout. This will help me spend more useful time where I need it without worry. It's 2k19, changes are needed, after all we got a warclaw didn't we? This makes more sense than that. Some others also make good points here but I like the idea of collating several tracks into one GOE. Perhaps you can select a GOE track which autoselects and rotates the reward tracks it needs until it completes with a gauge that shows you how far into completion you are.

ZNHBN6t.jpgYes please, PvE has no problems with lack of ppl while PvP and WvW do, this way some people for sure will join those modes.

During my "career" Ive done 100% map completition only once and I wanted to cut myself in half. But thats because I prefer PvP modes so after 100% I felt fulfilled because Ive seen everything open world had to offer, turned around and never done this kitten again. Rest legendaries I bought/they were 2nd generation.

So, imo those tracks would be wonderful but Id add restriction that you need to achieve 100% map completition at least once on any character in order to unlock them. This way new people would need to actually play the game and see what it has to offer before sticking to one mode and veterans wouldnt have to do same events/vistas etc over and over again, falling asleep every 15 minutes.We should enjoy the game instead of mindlessly grinding same things that dont entertain us. Ive seen this topic many times on guild and other chats and conclusion was always the same: in making legendaries the hardest part is Gift of Exploration and out of 100 asked people maybe 1 or 2 actually enjoyed doing 100% map completition. Rest was doing at best 1-2 maps per day because they couldnt handle more.

but lets be honest, this wont ever happen lol, almost like alliances

@"Widmo.3186" said:ZNHBN6t.jpgYes please, PvE has no problems with lack of ppl while PvP and WvW do, this way some people for sure will join those modes.

During my "career" Ive done 100% map completition only once and I wanted to cut myself in half. But thats because I prefer PvP modes so after 100% I felt fulfilled because Ive seen everything open world had to offer, turned around and never done this kitten again. Rest legendaries I bought/they were 2nd generation.

So, imo those tracks would be wonderful but Id add restriction that you need to achieve 100% map completition at least once on any character in order to unlock them. This way new people would need to actually play the game and see what it has to offer before sticking to one mode and veterans wouldnt have to do same events/vistas etc over and over again, falling asleep every 15 minutes.We should enjoy the game instead of mindlessly grinding same things that dont entertain us. Ive seen this topic many times on guild and other chats and conclusion was always the same: in making legendaries the hardest part is Gift of Exploration and out of 100 asked people maybe 1 or 2 actually enjoyed doing 100% map completition. Rest was doing at best 1-2 maps per day because they couldnt handle more.

but lets be honest, this wont ever happen lol, almost like alliances

That's a really great idea about having the reward track locked until a character finishes World completion at least once.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:No. What's next reward track for achieves, Pve titles etc. Like play the entire game. There's enough stuff in these reward tracks that allows you to dodge pve. Maybe make reward tracks in pve for wvw/pvp progression by doing events while your at it that way everyone gets everything by spamming one mode.

This would not reward the title, and as also previously stated there are numerous ways to obtain PvE items in WvW. Ill also add Cultural Armor and items from the heroics/testimonies vendor.

@X T D.6458 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Legendary Weapons are all about doing content we don't like.

I ground my eyeballs out doing HoT masteries so I could craft shinning blade. If I can do that, anybody can do anything.

Which game mode could use more people?

Open World PvE obviously. I had to tag up and call out meta events in map chat to complete some of the masteries.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Before offering the suggestion, it would be useful to take into account why World Map Completion is required. While ANet hasn't commented directly, it seems likely that the original intent was to show dedication to all major modes of the game: PvE via Map Completion, WvW via Gift of Battle, and ... well, not sure why there's no specific PvP requirement.

Unfortunately I don't think it is so much a design concept anymore, since they gated things like Legendary Armor and at least 1 trinket to raid content. Which Seems counter to the concept of accessibility to all. That said I certainly wouldn't say no to a Legendary reward track that rewards clovers, or mystic coins or amalagamated gems, even if it was gated to once a week. to correspond with your weekly wvw track.