na - if you experience skill lag regularly, come and choose your isp. lets try to figure this out.

this poll is intended to get the ball rolling somehow with the intention of getting and giving info on skill lag so people can make informed decisions about their isp (if that is indeed the cause of skill lag for them) and hopefully clear up some of their skill lag. it may not provide an entirely accurate or complete picture, but I hope it can at least help out a little bit.

this poll is meant for na players. if you are eu or sea/ ocx, make another poll! lets do this. feel free to use the same thread title (except for the na part ofc).

note - this poll is meant for intense skill lag, not regular lag (such as being far away from servers or having a bad internet connection).

It's a good idea, @Stand The Wall.6987 to collect data rather than just complaints.

Also important is location (city or region at least). Sticking to your self-centered American POV for an example: east coast Comcasters might be suffering major latency while west coasters might be humming along just fine. Also important: what type of service (cable, broadband, internet, etc).

However, the more likely culprit(s) are the backbone services that the ISPs use rather than the ISP directly. Our appetite for bandwidth is growing faster than the infrastructure.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:Rogers. Canada.

oh no I forgot about you Canadians. sorry lol! i'm your average self centered American (yes, American, cuz out of all of north + south America only 1 country gets to call themselves this).

Canada just hasn’t woken up to the fact that they are actually part of the states.. it’s all good.

No worries lol, we're use to being left out, our Prime Minister(drama teacher who likes to blend in with his surroundings playing dress up) shows this off at every major conference.

Anyways...

I usually only get it in prime time 8-12pm est basically.Most of it is around smc, which mostly just happened on reset night because of 3 blobs around, so that's usual.But I've been feeling it in other places of the map now and on other days than reset. Feels like they downgraded the servers at maximum loads or something.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:It's a good idea, @Stand The Wall.6987 to collect data rather than just complaints.

Also important is location (city or region at least). Sticking to your self-centered American POV for an example: east coast Comcasters might be suffering major latency while west coasters might be humming along just fine. Also important: what type of service (cable, broadband, internet, etc).

However, the more likely culprit(s) are the backbone services that the ISPs use rather than the ISP directly. Our appetite for bandwidth is growing faster than the infrastructure.

@Lexi.1398 said:it would also be helpful to indicate time. there are many ISPs that will get very laggy at particular times due to anticipated & real traffic, and times may also be matched up to anet's logs.

yep. maybe different polls for both... lol alotta info but hey maybe someone can put it all together.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:yep. maybe different polls for both... lol alotta info but hey maybe someone can put it altogether.

The best way is for people who are affected to file a support ticket. Those who know how to run pingplotter can include the logs; ANet will walk others through how to use the in-house diagnostic tool that provides similar details.

There are all sorts of reasons for latency, some of which include little things we can fix on our own (e.g. replacing our cable or minor tweaks to wireless setup). Still: better to get some data published here than people not bothering to submit any.

If you run with Arc you'll see the difference. It's not usually the ping that spikes, it's the 'R' value that will either spike up or down - that's the true skill lag. That's server side, and now with 2 full server groups fighting you'll get it. It used to only happen when all 3 sides fought. I think our Amazon virtual boxes had some ram and CPU downgrades.

While I understand what you are trying to do. It will not help people, as one, most people don't even know what skill lag is, I often see people posting about it on here when it's client side performance and not ISP or server related at all. And you could have the most voted ISP on here and the problem could still be something else altogether, as the only way to find out is actual traffic monitoring of your own play time.

In most cases the skill lag will have little to nothing to do with the persons home ISP. The problem is known, it's a client side calculation bottle neck, part of it is limitation of the current frame work and the other is a limit on actual dedicated server time. This is why it is more often experienced when two or three large zergs are fighting and doesn't happen until they are in combat. The rest are often from out of country with high ping regardless, with a small fraction being local ISP related, as most people don't understand your ISP is only providing connection to the back bone (whoever that might be) and not to the AWS servers. As T1 providers, that is ISPs only negotiate interconnect agreements from peering, which involves Backbone providers, IXPs and CDNs.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:While I understand what you are trying to do. It will not help people, as one, most people don't even know what skill lag is, I often see people posting about it on here when it's client side performance and not ISP or server related at all. And you could have the most voted ISP on here and the problem could still be something else altogether, as the only way to find out is actual traffic monitoring of your own play time.

In most cases the skill lag will have little to nothing to do with the persons home ISP. The problem is known, it's a client side calculation bottle neck, part of it is limitation of the current frame work and the other is a limit on actual dedicated server time. This is why it is more often experienced when two or three large zergs are fighting and doesn't happen until they are in combat. The rest are often from out of country with high ping regardless, with a small fraction being local ISP related, as most people don't understand your ISP is only providing connection to the back bone (whoever that might be) and not to the AWS servers. As T1 providers, that is ISPs only negotiate interconnect agreements from peering, which involves Backbone providers, IXPs and CDNs.

yeah you're probably right. I guess the best possible thing is for everyone to send anet pingplotter results and have them parse through all the info. chances are they already know what it is, and are either unable to doing something about it or are waiting for something to happen first. might be though that changing isp's actually helps someone but yeah chances are slim probs.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:While I understand what you are trying to do. It will not help people, as one, most people don't even know what skill lag is, I often see people posting about it on here when it's client side performance and not ISP or server related at all. And you could have the most voted ISP on here and the problem could still be something else altogether, as the only way to find out is actual traffic monitoring of your own play time.

yeah you're probably right. I guess the best possible thing is for everyone to send anet pingplotter results and have them parse through all the info. chances are they already know what it is, and are either unable to doing something about it or are waiting for something to happen first. might be though that changing isp's actually helps someone but yeah chances are slim probs.

I will put a whole months paycheck on them knowing very well what is wrong. However both main problems, that being back end coding and dedicated hardware for the game can cost big bucks. it's been this way since the start, they don't see any ROI for the work or money that would have to go into fixing it. Best I would say hope for is that the issues are resoled in GW3 if there ends up being one, however GW2 is well, WELL into it's gaming life, as such it's mostly down hill or just maintaining at this point outside of new story/expacs.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:yep. maybe different polls for both... lol alotta info but hey maybe someone can put it altogether.

The best way is for people who are affected to file a support ticket. Those who know how to run pingplotter can include the logs; ANet will walk others through how to use the in-house diagnostic tool that provides similar details.

There are all sorts of reasons for latency, some of which include little things we can fix on our own (e.g. replacing our cable or minor tweaks to wireless setup). Still: better to get some data published here than people not bothering to submit any.

You’re one of the nicest and most helpful posters on these forums!

Before my new computer and internet setup, I Ran an i5 with 20Mb ISP. ANd it had horrendous lag in EB in the big fights. I run an i7 now with a better Nvidia card, + 60Mb ISP....except for a few cases, the lag is gone, or just a small amount now. Although it does seem like the lag for firing off skills has come back around to haunt me all over again.