New player frustrated by the UI

I am absolutely loving the game but I'm so frustrated with the inability to edit, disable parts of the UI. It's to distracting that it's close to ruining the game play for me. The huge XP numbers that pop up anytime you kill someone, the damage floaters and many other things just cloud of my screen. This is just my opinion and I get why they are there but come one, give us an option to edit and disable parts of the UI. I honestly would love to be able to play the game with "hide UI" enabled but with only health and a few other vital things available. Again this is just my preference and I respect everyone's opinion. Thanks!

I have my UI set to small.You can relocate the current target bar and use simple floaters.

It would be very nice to get rid of the upper right clutter. I rarely need that info, except sometimes for only the event I'm working on. Collapsing them helps, but I'd like to ignore them. Especially festivals (PvP,WvW,Pve) after I've tagged in at least once.

Yeah one of my biggest gripes as well, its especially baffling when you go back to gw1 and you realise every bit of the ui there is costumisable. It makes you wonder if anet wanted to just make a pretty ui and they disregarded all the costumisation for the sake of said "pretty" ui.

Having played and seen gw1 and ff14 i can say with certainty that the ui in gw2 is inferior is almost every way.

Hopefully in their next game they will realise their fault in this instance and go for costumisation 1st then for looks (or allow addons to do that flor them).

@"Eraser.9860" said:I am absolutely loving the game but I'm so frustrated with the inability to edit, disable parts of the UI. It's to distracting that it's close to ruining the game play for me. The huge XP numbers that pop up anytime you kill someone, the damage floaters and many other things just cloud of my screen. This is just my opinion and I get why they are there but come one, give us an option to edit and disable parts of the UI. I honestly would love to be able to play the game with "hide UI" enabled but with only health and a few other vital things available. Again this is just my preference and I respect everyone's opinion. Thanks!

What is your resolution? I suspect this is partly why you feel this way towards the UI.The game's UI gets better the higher the resolution you have. You can adjust many elements of it, like the chat and minimap and also select compact view for your party, etc.I play on 1440P and have 0 issues with UI, despite having multiple things going at once. IE below.

https://i.ibb.co/MCPsp37/image.png

I agree that it would be nice to be able to customise the UI more, but I've also found that once I got used to it I almost stopped seeing the number spam. I just focus on the things which are relevant to me, like the targets health bar. (Setting the UI size to small might help too, although I've heard that with 4K monitors even the largest size is too small for some people, so you might need to experiment with it to see what works best for you.)

@"zealex.9410" said:Yeah one of my biggest gripes as well, its especially baffling when you go back to gw1 and you realise every bit of the ui there is costumisable. It makes you wonder if anet wanted to just make a pretty ui and they disregarded all the costumisation for the sake of said "pretty" ui.

Having played and seen gw1 and ff14 i can say with certainty that the ui in gw2 is inferior is almost every way.

Hopefully in their next game they will realise their fault in this instance and go for costumisation 1st then for looks (or allow addons to do that flor them).

One of the design goals of gw2 was to remove ui costumisation because they wanted people to play the game not the ui.

@Tashigi.3159 said:

@"Eraser.9860" said:I am absolutely loving the game but I'm so frustrated with the inability to edit, disable parts of the UI. It's to distracting that it's close to ruining the game play for me. The huge XP numbers that pop up anytime you kill someone, the damage floaters and many other things just cloud of my screen. This is just my opinion and I get why they are there but come one, give us an option to edit and disable parts of the UI. I honestly would love to be able to play the game with "hide UI" enabled but with only health and a few other vital things available. Again this is just my preference and I respect everyone's opinion. Thanks!

What is your resolution? I suspect this is partly why you feel this way towards the UI.The game's UI gets better the higher the resolution you have. You can adjust many elements of it, like the chat and minimap and also select compact view for your party, etc.I play on 1440P and have 0 issues with UI, despite having multiple things going at once. IE below.

As someone who recently got a new computer and monitor after playing on a laptop for years, I will say that resolution plays a bit part in how much space the UI takes up.

@yann.1946 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:Yeah one of my biggest gripes as well, its especially baffling when you go back to gw1 and you realise every bit of the ui there is costumisable. It makes you wonder if anet wanted to just make a pretty ui and they disregarded all the costumisation for the sake of said "pretty" ui.

One of the design goals of gw2 was to remove ui costumisation because they wanted people to play the game not the ui.

Which is a stupid thing to begin with, if someone wants to play the game they can play the game, if someone wants to play the ui then play the game (because the default ui lessens their enjoyment) they should be able to do so. Its like saying they could remove character creation from the game and give a preset because they want ppl to play the game and not the chracter creator.

@Tashigi.3159 said:

Ive noticed that the bigger resolution you have the harder the ui becomes to see, esp the skill bars become so tiny, idk if they have fixed that.

UI is really bad in this game. Looks nice, but thats it.worst is that Z layer is completly broken. You click an item, for example Ley-Energy Matter Converter and it always is behind you bag window.Boons/ conditions so small and not movable, Healthbars from enemies to small, no extra actionbar for bufffood and/or usable items

@zealex.9410 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Yeah one of my biggest gripes as well, its especially baffling when you go back to gw1 and you realise every bit of the ui there is costumisable. It makes you wonder if anet wanted to just make a pretty ui and they disregarded all the costumisation for the sake of said "pretty" ui.

Which is a stupid thing to begin with, if someone wants to play the game they can play the game, if someone wants to play the ui then play the game (because the default ui lessens their enjoyment) they should be able to do so. Its like saying they could remove character creation from the game and give a preset because they want ppl to play the game and not the chracter creator.

I do think it's an admirable goal. And it's quite impressive how one can see boons and conditions on characters.

@yann.1946 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Yeah one of my biggest gripes as well, its especially baffling when you go back to gw1 and you realise every bit of the ui there is costumisable. It makes you wonder if anet wanted to just make a pretty ui and they disregarded all the costumisation for the sake of said "pretty" ui.

I do think it's an admirable goal. And it's quite impressive how one can see boons and conditions on characters.

Impressive? How so? Also im not against making a good ui so ppl dont feel like they need to tweak it, but why remove that option? Its literally there to not aggravate ppl with any issues your game ui might have for them.

The almost-non-customisable UI is something I always criticised. I asked for additional side bars for mounts, cizmos, food etc. since years. And they never ever wanted to change that. Why? I really don't understand it. Why not let us freely change the UI? Almost every other MMO does it and it has been asked for it since the beginning.

Not sure it was simply for the sake of a "pretty" UI. I think part of it was the original idea of the game was PvE was casual fun and PvP was the serious bit, thus everything combat related was designed mostly around PvP, so given they were talking about "esports" before the game even launched, then it would seem likely part of going for a very standardized UI is that is precisely want you want for "esports".

@yann.1946 said:One of the design goals of gw2 was to remove ui costumisation because they wanted people to play the game not the ui.

That's a joke, right? How does customizing a game UI so that it distracts you less and provides you with more comfort while you are playing the game, so that you can focus better on the game, keep you from playing the game? :s Logic?

@kharmin.7683 said:There are times I'm glad for the damage number spam because it is the only way I can tell if I'm hitting the target underneath all of the visual effects.

Amen to that! Its a visual nightmare.

@keenedge.9675 said:I have my UI set to small.You can relocate the current target bar and use simple floaters.

It would be very nice to get rid of the upper right clutter. I rarely need that info, except sometimes for only the event I'm working on. Collapsing them helps, but I'd like to ignore them. Especially festivals (PvP,WvW,Pve) after I've tagged in at least once.

WAIT WHAT!!How do you move the target bar?

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@yann.1946 said:One of the design goals of gw2 was to remove ui costumisation because they wanted people to play the game not the ui.

That's a joke, right? How does customizing a game UI so that it distracts you less and provides you with more comfort
while
you are playing the game, so that you can focus better
on
the game,
keep
you from playing the game? :s Logic?

Because 99% of the time players don't actually know what's good for them. A properly designed, standardized user interface allows the developers to make certain assumptions about every player's experience which they can design around, instead of trying to accomodate every single niche configuration that someone might have put their UI into. Apple is a pretty good case study on this, specifically the development of iPhone.

@"nosleepdemon.1368" said:Because 99% of the time players don't actually know what's good for them. A properly designed, standardized user interface allows the developers to make certain assumptions about every player's experience which they can design around, instead of trying to accomodate every single niche configuration that someone might have put their UI into. Apple is a pretty good case study on this, specifically the development of iPhone.

Interesting. I don't know about you, but being able to at least place UI elements where you'd prefer them to be, as it was the case in GW1, is an absolute must-have in my eyes. How many times have I cursed in WvW that text would pop-up to announce an event update right where I am trying to place my ground target on the top of the wall, just to name one of many examples? Things are often "in the way" in a rigid interface. I believe that people know best what's "best for them" in many regards.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

That's a joke, right? How does customizing a game UI so that it distracts you less and provides you with more comfort
while
you are playing the game, so that you can focus better
on
the game,
keep
you from playing the game? :s Logic?

Because 99% of the time players don't actually know what's good for them. A properly designed, standardized user interface allows the developers to make certain assumptions about every player's experience which they can design around, instead of trying to accomodate every single niche configuration that someone might have put their UI into. Apple is a pretty good case study on this, specifically the development of iPhone.

So its good for me to not be able to tailor my ui to look how i want it? Weid, the biggest mmos im familiar with all either have built in or support addons that allow you for deep costumisation. Giving one unchangeable preset for everyone instead of offering options and choices to everyone is just bad.

@zinkz.7045 said:

Not sure it was simply for the sake of a "pretty" UI. I think part of it was the original idea of the game was PvE was casual fun and PvP was the serious bit, thus everything combat related was designed mostly around PvP, so given they were talking about "esports" before the game even launched, then it would seem likely part of going for a very standardized UI is that is precisely want you want for "esports".

Wow has an esports scene and they allow for the use of addons, hell pvpers in wow have 20 macro'd versions of their skills.

Besides since they are spectating they could have a tournament mdoe where it shows everything to the spectator in a nice and uniform way.