@Aragorn.8157 said:I don't know the percentage of player having a mac but I think I remember a post from someone at anet saying that lots of their own employees where using mac...don't know if it is still the case... The waiting time and priority is clearly linked to that mac player percentage unfortunatly...

That would not surprise me. When I go to tech conferences (web stuff mostly) practically every laptop I see owned by a dev is a mac. I suppose there are a few windows boxes there with shiny cases or covered with stickers but it is pretty much a linux and/or mac place. Programmers drool over it for a mainstream *ix environment and then you get the creatives who have most of their tools on it.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Druitt.7629 said:Run GW2 in Catalina and the screen goes black for a couple of seconds, then the Finder comes back and all GUI apps that were running are no longer running. They all got killed off with no error messages or anything to indicate what happened. My guess is it screws up Metal so badly that everything using Metal is trashed.

The fact that other apps die is Apple's fault. But I expect more from ANet as well.

The main app package is 64 bit so Catalina considers it ok. Then it encounters a call to some 32 bit code and it seems catalina does not know what to do.

@sunrun.4521 said:Anyone want to start taking bets about whether this gets fixed for the release of Catalina? B)

I'm going to guess it doesn't and we're all going to be screwed.

We will have a MUCH better idea on the 30th as that is their big event. This is a big enough update to mention.

If it does not get updated I know what the windows people will say: 1) gamers use windows (not all gamers obviously) and 2) 'just do not upgrade' (like THAT is a good long-term plan). Remember we are the ones that know about the problem too, a lot of people will just do the upgrade and assume things will work (or actually buy a mac that has catalina on it).

Odd, I mentioned this issue in the main forum official thread for the aug 30 announcement and they closed their own thread without comment. No email to me about it so maybe it was a coincidence but strange they would close their own hype thread right after the mac issue was mentioned.

@Menadena.7482 said:Odd, I mentioned this issue in the main forum official thread for the aug 30 announcement and they closed their own thread without comment. No email to me about it so maybe it was a coincidence but strange they would close their own hype thread right after the mac issue was mentioned.

I did not see the August 30 announcement information nor related forum tread, unfortunately.What was it all about?

I don't think they will let their investment into making the Mac client go waste. But they really need to communicate more. I am hoping that GW2 will be playable on my Mac after MacOS Catalina release. I have no intention of messing around with Windows. GW2 under WINE is slow.

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@"Menadena.7482" said:Odd, I mentioned this issue in the main forum official thread for the aug 30 announcement and they closed their own thread without comment. No email to me about it so maybe it was a coincidence but strange they would close their own hype thread right after the mac issue was mentioned.

I did not see the August 30 announcement information nor related forum tread, unfortunately.What was it all about?

On the main forum they opened a thread for some event they will hold on the 30th. Of course it was so vague nobody knew what it was about, just that they were collecting questions and talking about the event.

edit: Here is my post, just go to the start of page 1 to see what they asked. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/83087/join-us-for-a-special-live-event-on-august-30#latest

@papsu.6094 said:I don't think they will let their investment into making the Mac client go waste. But they really need to communicate more. I am hoping that GW2 will be playable on my Mac after MacOS Catalina release. I have no intention of messing around with Windows. GW2 under WINE is slow.

My thoughts exactly! They put a lot of work into the new client. Even if the solution is we have to use the store in a browser. Or even not at all while a better solution is devised, I am guessing most people could log in to a windows box and conduct a quick transaction and anet would suffer the most from people not in the store all the time.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:Odd, I mentioned this issue in the main forum official thread for the aug 30 announcement and they closed their own thread without comment. No email to me about it so maybe it was a coincidence but strange they would close their own hype thread right after the mac issue was mentioned.

On the main forum they opened a thread for some event they will hold on the 30th. Of course it was so vague nobody knew what it was about, just that they were collecting questions and talking about the event.

edit: Here is my post, just go to the start of page 1 to see what they asked.

Thanks Menadena!

I REALLY hope Anet is listening, and ready to deliver some forward-looking information about the Mac client during this 8/30 announcement event.I will be checking it out.

@DrMORO.4627 said:

edit: Here is my post, just go to the start of page 1 to see what they asked.

Thanks Menadena!

I REALLY hope Anet is listening, and ready to deliver some forward-looking information about the Mac client during this 8/30 announcement event.I will be checking it out.

Me too! Companies are already starting to announce their Catalina versions of various products so for anet not to say anything after they put out a new client is certainly odd. Even if everyone does not upgrade they will be forced into it when they buy a new computer.

@DrMORO.4627 said:BTW, I know this is somewhat off-topic, but has anyone tried playing GW2 on virtual machines like Parallels?I just read somewhere that the latest Parallels is moving to Metal, and was a bit curious.

I have a win10 machine using parallels 12. Usable but slow with everyone in default avatars. Parallels 15 just came out (edit: well, announced, usually they make it available to order before the software is ready to download) so I will play around with that, including seeing if a mac VM is better (it should be).

@Menadena.7482 said:Can someone check the client that has Catalina? They just pushed a new update and when I was spelunking around one of the files touched was CoherentUI_host ..... hoping ...

It's still not working with Mac OS X Catalina, opening Guild Wars 2 just causes it and any other open Application to crash.Guess I will have to rollback to Mojave so I can play on my MacBook :/

@Joe.1839 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:Can someone check the client that has Catalina? They just pushed a new update and when I was spelunking around one of the files touched was CoherentUI_host ..... hoping ...

It's still not working with Mac OS X Catalina, opening Guild Wars 2 just causes it and any other open Application to crash.Guess I will have to rollback to Mojave so I can play on my MacBook :/

Thanks. It looks like I will have to go with my plan of temporarily keeping some devices on Mojave while I investigate if a virtual machine is a workable option. I wish they would at least say something, at the moment we do not even know if they are aware of the looming issue.

Ironic their 64 bit client would be taken down when 32 bit went away.

Macbook Pro 13inch 2017, 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB ram, Intel Irish Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB.OS. 10.14.6

I dunno why, but i get 12-20 fps no matter the settings. The client works awful for me. Anyone with similar specs experiencing this?I used to be able to at least play and enjoy the game, but this is just awful, i don't know what they are doing but it's frustrating. If anyone has similar experience or any kind of advice on this please share.

@Hafies.3689 said:Macbook Pro 13inch 2017, 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB ram, Intel Irish Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB.OS. 10.14.6

I dunno why, but i get 12-20 fps no matter the settings. The client works awful for me. Anyone with similar specs experiencing this?I used to be able to at least play and enjoy the game, but this is just awful, i don't know what they are doing but it's frustrating. If anyone has similar experience or any kind of advice on this please share.

Those specs are pretty low for any game unfortunately. The killer is that you are using integrated graphics but an i5 with 8 ig does not help. Try running in a window and turning down any graphics setting you can. If you can afford it I would recommend an external GPU as you can get one for much cheeper than the one apple sells, but try a window and lowering graphics options first.

anet made a lazy port, the FPS and loading times of the map are unacceptable.

I'm redownloading the whole client to see if it helps performance.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@Hafies.3689 said:Macbook Pro 13inch 2017, 3.1GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB ram, Intel Irish Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB.OS. 10.14.6

Those specs are pretty low for any game unfortunately. The killer is that you are using integrated graphics but an i5 with 8 ig does not help. Try running in a window and turning down any graphics setting you can. If you can afford it I would recommend an external GPU as you can get one for much cheeper than the one apple sells, but try a window and lowering graphics options first.

I checked the specs on that laptop, it's not a bad CPU for the game as I can play it on on a weaker system at a mostly 30+ stable fps. Just for the record, have you tried playing at a lower resolution? Simply put, a 2560x1600 resolution is going to kill your performance on that laptop.

@PadmaPhala.1824 said:anet made a lazy port, the FPS and loading times of the map are unacceptable.

I'm redownloading the whole client to see if it helps performance.

Actually the port is better than it used to be: they used a stock windows wrapper for years and called it a beta client when everyone knew what it was.

Eventually the 64 bit client rolloed out and there was much rejoicing. There were a few graphical glitches but pretty good compared to what we had.

Now it seems nobody there is running the store. Their 64 bit client is tied to some 32 bit software and will not work when people start upgrading their machines. After all, why should they not as the client is supposed to be 64 bit. There is not even a sign if anet knows about this issue or not.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:

I checked the specs on that laptop, it's not a bad CPU for the game as I can play it on on a weaker system at a mostly 30+ stable fps. Just for the record, have you tried playing at a lower resolution? Simply put, a 2560x1600 resolution is going to kill your performance on that laptop.

Right, playing in a window is always a good idea. Not only are there less pixels to compute but it has the nice thing that you can be doing other stuff on your computer at the same time too.