Lightbearer: Too Many “Cute” Things

@Ototo.3214 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:Wut.That's the new raptor skin right? I wouldn't call any of its other skins overly cute or anything. Don't see what's wrong with it getting a cute skin for all the people that prefer that aesthetic.

It's impossible to ignore. I don't buy any. And? They still fill up my screen to the point where I want to puke.

I see tons of fashion and color choices in game that I think look hideous. But who cares, it's not my character. Don't stand near people I guess?

Ah yes, don't stand near people. How do I do that in an MMO short of not logging in?

@witcher.3197 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:Wut.That's the new raptor skin right? I wouldn't call any of its other skins overly cute or anything. Don't see what's wrong with it getting a cute skin for all the people that prefer that aesthetic.

It's impossible to ignore. I don't buy any. And? They still fill up my screen to the point where I want to puke.

I see tons of fashion and color choices in game that I think look hideous. But who cares, it's not my character. Don't stand near people I guess?

Ah yes, don't stand near people. How do I do that in an MMO short of not logging in?

You're the one that takes issue with how other people's characters look. If other player's aesthetics bother you that much than idk what else to suggest other than that or get over it.I'm all for better options to reduce visual clutter and such but people should be allowed to look how they want in game. And cutesy stuff appeals to some people.

@Ototo.3214 said:

You're the one that takes issue with how other people's characters look. If other player's aesthetics bother you that much than idk what else to suggest other than that or get over it.I'm all for better options to reduce visual clutter and such but people should be allowed to look how they want in game. And cutesy stuff appeals to some people.

I guess I'm just not the target audience anymore, which is a sad thing to realize after following the franchise for more than a decade and growing up with it.

Maybe it's time to leave the sinking ship.

@EmmetOtter.8542 said:

@"Voltekka.2375" said:I feel ya. Gw2 dying, cause who in their right minds would buy cute stuff?Apparently plenty of people

Anet made one and enough people bought it that they turned around and made more. Clearly that stuff sells.

If you don't like it, don't buy it

It was meant to be sarcastic towards an OP who regularly makes "gw2 is dead" doom topics. Flew right over your head, sadly

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Yep, I'm totally fed up with the recent aesthetics trend that ANet goes for.

This isn't the world setting GW2 was in. It's becoming more flashy, cute, sweet, flashy and flashy.

Oh, and flashy, don't know if I mentioned it already.

I hear ya, i think cute is okay in moderation. But this is a game about war death monsters world ending apocalypses, but looking at it its like a toy store mated with a fireworks factory and they exploded all over the screen. I think the mounts should reflect the game world, some of them simply look out of place. Same with a lot of the flashy stuff, i know they do it to sell stuff, but really i would be more inclined to have a mount that looks like something from game, than an oddity. I would flip to get an awakened abom as a mount. The visual vomitis in gw2 is getting out of hand, and im female and cant stand all the flashy and cute things. One its an eyesore, and second it dont fit in the game world.

@witcher.3197 said:

I guess I'm just not the target audience anymore, which is a sad thing to realize after following the franchise for more than a decade and growing up with it.

It happens, i left a game i played for 11 years because of the direction they went. Its hard to break free but then you do.

@Tiviana.2650 said:

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Yep, I'm totally fed up with the recent aesthetics trend that ANet goes for.

This isn't the world setting GW2 was in. It's becoming more flashy, cute, sweet, flashy and flashy.

I hear ya, i think cute is okay in moderation. But this is a game about war death monsters world ending apocalypses, but looking at it its like a toy store mated with a fireworks factory and they exploded all over the screen. I think the mounts should reflect the game world, some of them simply look out of place. Same with a lot of the flashy stuff, i know they do it to sell stuff, but really i would be more inclined to have a mount that looks like something from game, than an oddity. I would flip to get an awakened abom as a mount. The visual vomitis in gw2 is getting out of hand, and im female and cant stand all the flashy and cute things. One its an eyesore, and second it dont fit in the game world.

It happens, i left a game i played for 11 years because of the direction they went. Its hard to break free but then you do.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way, one of the guilds I was in basically laughed me off and told me I was weird for wanting the stuff I do. ( I want like viking werebeasts that the norn WERE and I want better cosmetic options with bones, fur and hide with tons of cool celtic/nordic themes. Then they tell me "Ewww, f that why would anyone want that? I want more naruto, maybe a jacket like the hokage.) And I just legit cant.

I could see them doing this crap too, the game was once a dark fantasy almost akin to warhammer. And now its high fantasy with cute little tropes and anime references; They gut a lot of the cool races and won't let anyone be cool in this world. We get what to slay gods? Lame. We don't explore the dragons or their reality warping or even their origin and we don't get dark plots with everything being explained away via deus ex. I want to end the foe-fire threat, I want to go into the mists and explore melandru's realm and go to places unseen. Hell Id love to go back to the realm of torment, see where abbadon fell and learn more about the world itself and the realms between this and the next. I don't feel like the target audience infact I Feel like the game actively does stuff to push me out, like they are trying to get people like me who loved their dark fantasy world in guild wars 1 to just leave so they can make more hello-kitty anime world.

I miss what this games world was, and I almost loathe what its become. The last living world season did ALOT for me and made me happy with how dark it was; But I don't trust it to continue to go more toward dark fantasy. Mainly because of A-net, I have no faith or trust and this announcement on the 30th is kind of where I might draw the line. I'm so worried that the announcement will be some weeaboo hello-kitty stuff, and that all the things I want to have happen won't happen and that scares the hell out of me because I WANT to enjoy this game. But as of now I log in to character select and I kind of just log back off because I have no motivation and no hope for the future... I want them to remember their roots... and go back to the dark. Make the cute the exception, the rare glimmer of light that can make us feel at ease... not the other way around because when all the zones are beautiful alight with life and light? Then nothing can really capture your awe. Those light areas in dark games are always the ones that captivate people the most... because they are like a beacon of hope in the darkest of places. Right now its almost the exact opposite. (Guild wars 2 feels like Age of sigmar, which makes Eye of the north the end times. They ended the good and came up with this... high fantasy shenanigans.)

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

I thought I was the only one who felt this way, one of the guilds I was in basically laughed me off and told me I was weird for wanting the stuff I do. ( I want like viking werebeasts that the norn WERE and I want better cosmetic options with bones, fur and hide with tons of cool celtic/nordic themes. Then they tell me "Ewww, f that why would anyone want that? I want more naruto, maybe a jacket like the hokage.) And I just legit cant.

I could see them doing this kitten too, the game was once a dark fantasy almost akin to warhammer. And now its high fantasy with cute little tropes and anime references; They gut a lot of the cool races and won't let anyone be cool in this world. We get what to slay gods? Lame. We don't explore the dragons or their reality warping or even their origin and we don't get dark plots with everything being explained away via deus ex. I want to end the foe-fire threat, I want to go into the mists and explore melandru's realm and go to places unseen. Hell Id love to go back to the realm of torment, see where abbadon fell and learn more about the world itself and the realms between this and the next. I don't feel like the target audience infact I Feel like the game actively does stuff to push me out, like they are trying to get people like me who loved their dark fantasy world in guild wars 1 to just leave so they can make more hello-kitty anime world.

I miss what this games world was, and I almost loathe what its become. The last living world season did ALOT for me and made me happy with how dark it was; But I don't trust it to continue to go more toward dark fantasy. Mainly because of A-net, I have no faith or trust and this announcement on the 30th is kind of where I might draw the line. I'm so worried that the announcement will be some kitten hello-kitty stuff, and that all the things I want to have happen won't happen and that scares the hell out of me because I WANT to enjoy this game. But as of now I log in to character select and I kind of just log back off because I have no motivation and no hope for the future... I want them to remember their roots... and go back to the dark. Make the cute the exception, the rare glimmer of light that can make us feel at ease... not the other way around because when all the zones are beautiful alight with life and light? Then nothing can really capture your awe. Those light areas in dark games are always the ones that captivate people the most... because they are like a beacon of hope in the darkest of places. Right now its almost the exact opposite. (Guild wars 2 feels like Age of sigmar, which makes Eye of the north the end times. They ended the good and came up with this... high fantasy shenanigans.)

Oh man. Well said. I mean, GW2 isn't about being Dark Souls Dark, but it always had that mystery to it and indeed some kind of darkness. The happy, full-of-life places should be a surprise, an exception.I too, feel like not the target audience and it feels bad as I know the aesthetics of GW2 didn't use to be like that. The target shifted to appeal to a mobile-MMO aesthetics really. I love the art style of this game. But the in-game look od getting worse with every single GemStore release. And the fact that ANet doesn't want to realize this / or is unwilling to add a single turn-off button really pisses me off.People saying - you don't have to look / but it if you don't like seeing flashy. Really? This doesn't make sense at all...

While I hated how they treated Joko and made Aurene boom in the face in S4, I completely loved how tragic this LW felt. It wasn't perfect but it was very well-made. Unicorns, glittering, Bioluminescent and flashy effects really don't interesy me while I want to dive into this world.

I just don't get it. Is it that hard to understand, that some people like simply don't like everything being shiny all of a sudden?I could get over it if GW2 was always this way, but it wasn't. And I get it - shiny earns money. But do we really have to have a Raptor skin that looks like a dog? Is there no other better way of designing skins so that both audiences would sort of like it? Because there used to be literally almost no shiny on GW2 legendaries felt like a lot. Now if I see someone with legendary I don't really care - there are 80 other weapons that do this thing.

99% of the time I am using 2012 armor skins. The last best skin is a Corsair Armor. Sadly.

We allready crossed the line years ago, with cat ears and angel wings and stuff like that, even story wise, anyone remenber Scarlet...yikes lol this Raptor skin dont really bother me...you have the Dreadnought skin if you want something more serious...same with the water mount thing(forgot its name lol) were you have this demon skin or the bird skin the Jackal were you have the Forged hound or the weabo skin...guess its cool having stuff for a all tastes...again, I dont like it, but the line of immersion breaking stuff have been broken for a while, with max height Norn with funny pink mustashes and pink glowy armor running all around or the female humans with cat ears, bunny ears or super sayan Charrs or "cute" looking female Chaars...to hell with it lol its a game and just let people have fun, but either playing with a immersive character or something that came out of some garbage Asian MMO.

((EDIT: Forgot to remember that OP is a constant troll. Shouldn't have bothered replying. Aw well, will keep my post as was anyways since I cannot delete.))

@Mortifera.6138 said:the skin doesn’t look like it has anything to do with a raptor.

Because a nine-tailed fox is so similar to a jackal.

A humming bird is so similar to a floating stingray.

A hedgehog has something to do with a round beetle.

@Mortifera.6138 said:Suggestion: stop putting so many overly “cute” things in the game. We have quaggans. That should be enough.

There's nothing wrong with more than one "cute thing". This is a T rated game, so it's not going to be as dark as the DC cinematic universe.

A good MMO will have a proper balance between edgy, cutesy, plain, and realistic cool. In terms of mounts alone, GW2 has maintained that thus far.

Edit: I forgot that bunny has the Lightbearer’s same aesthetic. Why give it to raptor? If you’re going to move in the direction of every mount having every aesthetic, why not give us 1 mount that does everything? Oh, right: $$$.

aesthetics != functionality, plain and simple.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:shrug don't like it, don't buy it. I don't like human female with scarf and glasses - but it is popular. More power to them.

Is there an option to not have to look at it if I don't like it?

Because the current neon laser lisa frank carebear aesthetic is making "tornado shoulder pads" WoW look tasteful by comparison

I wouldn’t say there are too many cute things necessarily since that’s an opinion which will vary. I will say that I personally would buy more “normal” or badass skins over cute ones. Like I prefer the demon slimmer over the hummingbird, the dreadnought raptor over the peacock and new one, etc

It's funny, I hadn't really thought of the Lightbearer skin as "cute", and I've got so used to lore-irrelevant gem store skins at this point that I hadn't really registered that either - but I had wondered about who was supposed to have made that saddle and those reins, since they don't seem to fit in to any of the game's cultures.

I'm pleased to see that there are other people in this thread who, like me, feel that the aesthetic and stylistic cohesion of the game has declined over the years. The main reason I started playing GW2 was for the strong, stylised and consistent aesthetic style of the game world, which I first saw in my brother's copy of the art book before the game was released. On release, almost everything in game followed that style very closely - except perhaps for legendary weapons (which no one had yet anyway). But I think that's been worn away over the years - the gem store monetisation model has its benefits, but it isn't really compatible with maintaining a consistent aesthetic style. Recently, it doesn't just seem to be gem store skins: Elegy Armour, for example, is supposed to have been crafted by an awakened armoursmith, but it doesn't look at all Elonian - it looks like it was designed by a committee responding to community feedback.

I don't think this is specific to GW2 though - it seems to be a trend across fantasy games in general. League of Legends and Dota 2 never made any attempt at having a consistent game world, Diablo III is way more flashy and cartoonish than its predecessors, and I'm pretty sure I saw a while ago that Tera has sports cars!

@Thornwolf.9721 said:I could see them doing this kitten too, the game was once a dark fantasy almost akin to warhammer.

Have you seen Warhammer recently? They rebooted a while ago and have generally gone in for bigger, flashier models in recent years - although they do mostly fit in with their old style.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"yann.1946" said:I'm really bot sure if this post is saterical or not

Why would it be "satirical"? Many people think that way, including myself. So sick of cat ears and other "cutesy stuff" in this game. Bleh. It's worse than any of the sci-fi inspired stuff that kills immersion.

Because,

Being cute doesn't kill immersion. In the sense that cute things are things in the real world. People wear catears in the real world to for example. So can you explain what about bering cute kills immersion?

An argument about Sci fi could be made, but then the Asura where part of the aesthetic from the beginning.