PvP Ethics

Happy Yes.1453

Most of the widely accepted pvp ethics don't make any sense to me. For example, if someone goes afk, you have about 50% chance that someone will point out that afking in the current game mode is really really stupid, but it would be acceptable in the other game mode.Example:1) Someone is afk in unranked: omg imagine afking in unranked lul why u so serious bro this is unranked haha why u afk this is not even ranked2) Someone is afk in ranked: omg afk in ranked, this is srs business if u wanna afk go to unranked and don't destroy other ppls rating

What is the source of this kind of reasoning and is there more of it?

People will try to shame others into not afk’ing regardless.

No one should afk but the incentives aren’t great. There isn’t a benefit for a close loss so people don’t feel the need to fight an obviously losing battle. There also isn’t a punishment for a massive loss so people aren’t trying to save their rating when their team is losing badly. Together, this makes it less likely that the good players (who can potentially make a difference) will fight hard, or try to teach their team to get better at rotations or targeting or general tactics.

@Happy Yes.1453 said:What is the source of this kind of reasoning and is there more of it?

Neither example actually touches on the core reason people say these things.Point is that there is 0 reason to afk in a match unless you bite the dust at that exact moment with your face on the keyboard. If you absolutely need to leave your keyboard, you log out and take the dishonor. It's the better option instead of letting your teammates suffer.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@Happy Yes.1453 said:What is the source of this kind of reasoning and is there more of it?

Neither example actually touches on the core reason people say these things.Point is that there is 0 reason to afk in a match unless you bite the dust at that exact moment with your face on the keyboard.
If you absolutely need to leave your keyboard, you log out and take the dishonor. It's the better option instead of letting your teammates suffer.

So what is it like living in disney land?

@Happy Yes.1453 said:

Neither example actually touches on the core reason people say these things.Point is that there is 0 reason to afk in a match unless you bite the dust at that exact moment with your face on the keyboard.
If you absolutely need to leave your keyboard, you log out and take the dishonor. It's the better option instead of letting your teammates suffer.

It's great. Mickey came over the other day, and brought some bourbon. Good times.

Being serious though, people that complain about toxicness in PvP and then proceed to afk in matches are feeding that toxicness. The only way the toxicness stops is you as an individual deciding to not be toxic no matter what other people do. "I can afk because other people do it." No you can't, if you want those others to stop. You're feeding it. I may be an idealist but hey, atleast I'm not part of the problem.

@Yannir.4132 said:

It's great. Mickey came over the other day, and brought some bourbon. Good times.

Being serious though, people that complain about toxicness in PvP and then proceed to afk in matches are feeding that toxicness. The only way the toxicness stops is you as an individual deciding to not be toxic no matter what other people do. "I can afk because other people do it." No you can't, if you want those others to stop. You're feeding it. I may be an idealist but hey, atleast I'm not part of the problem.

On the forums everybody is an idealist very nice guy pro skilled player, too bad none of them actually seem to play the game.

@Happy Yes.1453 said:

On the forums everybody is an idealist very nice guy pro skilled player, too bad none of them actually seem to play the game.

Not sure that’s true. Plenty of people in matches I’ve been in play the game without complaint or raging. It’s usually one person out of 10 (on either team) who may rage and afk.

There is a widespread feeling that people are toxic just because your odds aren’t great you will avoid everyone having a bad day or just inclined to afk when their team loses the first fight.

It's understandable why some afk:

If your team keeps getting stomped (no skill, no map awareness, etc) some will choose to speed up the process by taking the loss and moving onto a worthwhile and competitive match.

Somebody else prompted it with angry commentary so the one who "cares less" afk's to get back at the tryhard/noob.

Afk'ing simply because somebody on your previous team afk'd and they're on your team again, so now it's an afk competition. Exciting!

Match manipulation.

Somebody legitimately died at the keyboard.

@"H a z Z y.1762" said:A, full team required to check "yes", resign option would be a nice feature for when there are DCs or clear losses where everyones in agreement that the games over.

That's just an excuse for people to go afk, "The game is lost, I resigned, so I can stop moving". Even when the game is definitely not lost. People would abuse it.

In dc cases I think this could work but only then. Though I'd rather like a mercenary system of some kind, where you could opt into on-going games for increased rewards.