New Living Story event idea

New Living Story Event idea: The Mists have collapsed.

PvP/WvW players have broken free from the mists and created a temporary portal to each major city!Fight back these evil demons and reclaim your city!

Finishers on sale for a limited time only with the new "Gorilla Finisher".

What you guys think? Temporary and restricted open world pvp with a story for limited time only...

What's with all the "PvP in PvE areas" ideas lately ? I'd have thought those were clearly defined areas for a reason.

If that's a joke, it's kind of overdone as well, someone made that suggestion about making it possible to have open PvP in towns, where the players actually go to Not fight, monsters Or players.

@Randulf.7614 said:As said in yesterday’s thread.forNo

But I’m pretty certain people are trolling with these back to back threads that end up with a resounding no every time

Well I wasn't trolling in my thread. You are allowed your opinion, and i'm allowed mine. However my idea as I stated is a seperate game away from this one to cater for a market that this game doesn't appeal too, since it's all about vanilla WOW atm.I'm not a big fan of OP's post as it doesn't suit this game. MY idea yeah, but how the game is now, no

oh it is a TP.

PvP/WvW players have broken free from the mists and created a temporary portal to each major city!Fight back these evil demons and reclaim your city!This is an idea for turning PvE areas into PvP areas. It's not going to happen since (a) goes against the themes that brought people to GW2's PvE and (b) it would mean a massive amount of testing to make sure that it worked (not to mention new mechanics for option in|out, for rewards, and even just figuring out how to mechanically make it operational).

New Living Story event ideaWhere's the Living World story idea mentioned in the title?

Maybe if it was a seperate copy of each map, so it looked like the city and maybe had all the NPCs (who presumably would be fighting against the invaders too) but people who don't want to participate can continue to visit in peace then it would be ok, but presumably not what the OP is looking for since then it would only be people who have chosen to fight for one side or the other in the map, and then it's basically WvW.

Otherwise I don't understand all these calls for PvP in the open world recently. If you want massive battles against enemy players there's WvW, if you want smaller scale fights there's PvP and guild arenas, and nothing says you have to have a full team for either - if you want to duel you can set up a custom arena. There's also a new 2v2 arena coming soon...tomorrow I think. I don't understand the appeal of forcing PvP on people who are not interested, especially in a game where you can't steal items from other players so there's even less benefit to killing unsuspecting victims.

@Dami.5046 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:As said in yesterday’s thread.forNo

But I’m pretty certain people are trolling with these back to back threads that end up with a resounding no every time

Well I wasn't trolling in my thread. You are allowed your opinion, and i'm allowed mine. However my idea as I stated is a seperate game away from this one to cater for a market that this game doesn't appeal too, since it's all about vanilla WOW atm.I'm not a big fan of OP's post as it doesn't suit this game.
MY
idea yeah, but how the game is now, no

oh it is a TP.

I think they where referring to the one where the thread creator basically said "Yall are stupid for not wanting open world PVP, and not having PVP is killing this game."

If it was say a level 60+ map and it was like the branded event in the beta and not on a map with a world boss or it ran only during a set time that wouldn't interfere with the world boss and it was advertised via in game mail, then I'd be fine with it.

But not some place where new players may be expected to be. Such as a city or starter zone.

@Seera.5916 said:If it was say a level 60+ map and it was like the branded event in the beta and not on a map with a world boss or it ran only during a set time that wouldn't interfere with the world boss and it was advertised via in game mail, then I'd be fine with it.

But not some place where new players may be expected to be. Such as a city or starter zone.

I was actually thinking like living season 1.You portal into the city that is under siege and fight them back for an hour or 2 then it stops for an hour or 2.

Seige waves sorta thing.

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:No combat of any type in the cities please,the last thing I want is to be ganked halfway through crafting 700 linen bolts.

I sympathize but the way you phrased it made me laugh so hard now I want this to happen to see that

It was fun for Living Story season 1 when LA was under attack...Read my comment above this one too as im not making a permanent suggestion or even all cities at once for all day.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:No combat of any type in the cities please,the last thing I want is to be ganked halfway through crafting 700 linen bolts.

I sympathize but the way you phrased it made me laugh so hard now I want this to happen to see that

It was fun for Living Story season 1 when LA was under attack...Read my comment above this one too as im not making a permanent suggestion or even all cities at once for all day.

Season 1 never had open world PvP.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

I didnt say it did.The subject was about dying at a crafting station.

Season 1 all of LA was shut down for the event, city was in ruins and those who wanted to craft something went to one of the other major cities.After the event, took 6 months or before LA was rebuilt to what it is now.

Im probably one of the few that thought LS1 was by far the best LS they ever did.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Seera.5916 said:If it was say a level 60+ map and it was like the branded event in the beta and not on a map with a world boss or it ran only during a set time that wouldn't interfere with the world boss and it was advertised via in game mail, then I'd be fine with it.

I was actually thinking like living season 1.You portal into the city that is under siege and fight them back for an hour or 2 then it stops for an hour or 2.

Seige waves sorta thing.

I'd still say a level 60+ map is best. That way you avoid having people load into Lion's Arch during that event when they are just coming back from a break. Fewer people will have fewer characters sitting in the affected map.

And you reduce the number of new players getting killed by level 80 players either due to character level differences or player skill level differences.

And you could leave it on all day except for times around a world boss on that map if there was one.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Pifil.5193" said:No combat of any type in the cities please,the last thing I want is to be ganked halfway through crafting 700 linen bolts.

I didnt say it did.The subject was about dying at a crafting station.

Season 1 all of LA was shut down for the event, city was in ruins and those who wanted to craft something went to one of the other major cities.After the event, took 6 months or before LA was rebuilt to what it is now.

Im probably one of the few that thought LS1 was by far the best LS they ever did.

You're comparing apples to oranges here though.

Not only is this a full out PvE event in a PvE area compared to a PvP event in a PvE area, but LA was not a city zone at the time. There were also a ton of complaints about LA being changed. Among which was story progression being an issue; this is likely a big reason for why Arenanet hasn't done something similar since then, even though Divinity's Reach and The Grove both got assaulted in the LW, there was no major changes to the cities.

(Also, crafting stations etc. returned with the Aftermath content, so LA was only "not a city" for 1 month; on top of that, all other services of importance were moved to Vigil Keep, so players never really "lost" the services of a city).

The only comparable event to what you're suggesting would be the branded BWE event. But that was really only feasible to do without issue because it was a beta weekend event, so the only thing people had to do in the area was the beta itself. So even comparing to that is still comparing two vastly different things for even temporary open world PvP.