Gem Cards and Australia

@zoejo.2317 said:

Lol where do you live? Sorry, but you make your life complicated. What if you travel without a credit card? It's nigh impossible these days...

Where do
you
live? I can only speak of the EU, but my debit cards have worked everywhere in the world, and on every single website. Why pay taxes to a credit company?

As for the topic:This has been my situation for years now. Luckily I don't have the same issues with the conversion rate (it's acceptable). It annoys me that the official stance is still that those cards exist - they even list websites for stores that are either non-existent anymore, or they simply don't sell those cards.

Dont you debit card work with paypal?

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

Also Europe :wink: I don't pay anything for my CC(s). Also, ever heard of Revolut? It's a great way to get a CC for almost free.

I have heard of Revolut (and N26 and others). They seem great. Our banking system also has an app in which we can create virtual cards if needed, though not credit (as in, I wouldn't be able to spend more than I have, but I rarely want to).

@Linken.6345 said:

Dont you debit card work with paypal?

It does. If you don't want to give your card number away to a company (and you don't want to use the method I've described just above), you can add either your debit card or your bank account directly to PayPal.

I don't think it helps the OP, though, as his/her problem is the combination of a bad conversion rate and the non-existent cards/stores (a problem I've also had).They could at least update the website to stop linking to either non-existent stores or stores that don't sell gem cards anymore.

Alright, just being curious in case I missed something: Did ArenaNet actually made an official statement on Gem Cards and their disappearance already? As far as I heard it must be an issue with a blacklisted distributor but that's more of a rumor to be honest.

Still hearing stores getting regularly around Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne with some people in Perth ordering the cards? Not sure it they are discontinued.But after inquiring with a few EBs the cards get restocked by "volume of transaction cards sold", how true that is? But seems to be the answer from 4 stores without ringing the giftcard wholesalers directly. So this maybe the cause of the 'local' not having any stock of them.

Get in while you see them.

@"grouchybhaal.4275" said:Still hearing stores getting regularly around Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne with some people in Perth ordering the cards? Not sure it they are discontinued.But after inquiring with a few EBs the cards get restocked by "volume of transaction cards sold", how true that is? But seems to be the answer from 4 stores without ringing the giftcard wholesalers directly. So this maybe the cause of the 'local' not having any stock of them.

Get in while you see them.

Have previously inquired with EB, this was their response a few months back

Our Buying team has informed me that there is still stock of these cards on the store level. However not ever store still has stock.

We are currently in communication with the vendor about a future shipment.

Although at this time there is no word or ETA on this one I'm afraid! - Ari

Since then, have inquired in my local stores (3 in total), and the cards are showing as "Discontinued" and they can't look into how many are in-stock country or state-wise. As far as I have been told these cards are old stock from 2017 and they are not receiving any more unless they find a box somewhere (which is the case with the current stock available). I've had to buy 10 $25 cards in one of my stocks to save for a rainy day.

There's either an issue of contract with EB, or an issue of contract with anet and their distributor - either way, a clarification is needed from the company.

I've reached out to EB again, will update.

EDIT:

EB is vague and refuses to respond on the matter so I'm awaiting Anet's response.

This is not something we are able to confirm. As mentioned, we recommend contacting your local stores to confirm stock availability. -bel

EB Games has now ended the stocking of Gem Cards in Australia, the last store in my area that had a ton left just had someone come and buy out EVERY single card they had left and so there was none to pick up today. The person at the counter was going to try and track a few of the potential 18 in another store their boss was going to be stopping at.I am dreading trying to purchase gems now, the conversion rate of the AUD to USD is pretty terrible.

Let me give an example:1600 gems is $20USD which is about $30AUD2000 gems from a gem card could be purchased for $25AUD which felt way more in my budget.

I am dreading how much more it will hurt my wallet to try and support the game that I love.I understand they need to make money, but it just sucks that living else where with different currency is pretty punishing.

Rest In Peace Gem Cards, you were the best of the best for people who were Australian.

Do people not think that because of currency fluctuations, Anet was screwing themselves over with gemcards?

I’d rather people pay the same amount of money for the same amount of gems, without buying bits of plastic that’s sole purpose would be to digitise and be thrown away.

But, we don’t know what’s happening with gemcards. No one at Arena Net has said anything yet. We didn’t need another thread about Australia’s access to gemcards.

i would like anet to let us know if they are going to send more gem cards out to eb games, i feel like they are losing money where they could be making money. i just dont see any logic paying 147$ for 8000 gems when i could buy 8000 gems for 100$ for the last 7 years at eb games and now they have gone out of stock and are not even on their system anymore. does anet even read these types of threads? i saw another gem card thread from a year ago and they didnt respond to it.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:Do people not think that because of currency fluctuations, Anet was screwing themselves over with gemcards?

I’d rather people pay the same amount of money for the same amount of gems, without buying bits of plastic that’s sole purpose would be to digitise and be thrown away.

But, we don’t know what’s happening with gemcards. No one at Arena Net has said anything yet. We didn’t need another thread about Australia’s access to gemcards.

The gem cards re cardboard at the very least if that gives you some comfort :) I also searched the forums high and low and didn't find any mention of the issue of gemcards to Australia, and it's clearly enough of an issue for us to need the company to address it in some way or another.

EDIT: I'm assuming another thread was merged into this one.

Maybe ANet has nothing to do with it. Maybe the companies are aren't stocking up on them anymore, simply because demand has dwindled over the past years. Maybe it's not worth it for them to stock up under a certain amount and purchasing this amount is taking the risk of not selling them all. I'm guessing here, but I seriously doubt ANet will reimberse gem card sellers for unsold gem cards :)

I have also noticed that prices for them have gone up by more than 25 % in online stores. This might be a sign that their supply is diminishing, too.

At the moment g2a and places like this will likely continue to receive my money over the gem store at the current exchange rates I can't justify the cost , like I'm looking at almost $40 sometimes for 2000 gems, I've been a long time supporter of guild wars even bought the game for co-workers but the exchange rates rediculous my only hope is that Trump screws America's economy by this China stuff so the exchange value evens out

@Shep.4026 said:Maybe ANet has nothing to do with it. Maybe the companies are aren't stocking up on them anymore, simply because demand has dwindled over the past years. Maybe it's not worth it for them to stock up under a certain amount and purchasing this amount is taking the risk of not selling them all. I'm guessing here, but I seriously doubt ANet will reimberse gem card sellers for unsold gem cards :)

I have also noticed that prices for them have gone up by more than 25 % in online stores. This might be a sign that their supply is diminishing, too.

well... not true, it is Anet that issues gem card serial numbers; even if eb doesnt sell it in their physical store, there is nothing stopping them from selling via their online store.

If Anet can get more $$ directly via their online store, why bother distribute them to game retailers?

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@Shep.4026 said:Maybe ANet has nothing to do with it. Maybe the companies are aren't stocking up on them anymore, simply because demand has dwindled over the past years. Maybe it's not worth it for them to stock up under a certain amount and purchasing this amount is taking the risk of not selling them all. I'm guessing here, but I seriously doubt ANet will reimberse gem card sellers for unsold gem cards :)

I have also noticed that prices for them have gone up by more than 25 % in online stores. This might be a sign that
their
supply is diminishing, too.

well... not true, it is Anet that issues gem card serial numbers; even if eb doesnt sell it in their physical store, there is nothing stopping them from selling via their online store.

If Anet can get more $$ directly via their online store, why bother distribute them to game retailers?

Because anet doesnt see that extra money... Governments do.. The paypal dollar discrepancy is taxes been applied to e-goods and exchange rates being applied.

Once anet recieves the money.. Its still the same valve (or close too)

@HikariShogen.1905 said:At the moment g2a and places like this will likely continue to receive my money over the gem store at the current exchange rates I can't justify the cost , like I'm looking at almost $40 sometimes for 2000 gems, I've been a long time supporter of guild wars even bought the game for co-workers but the exchange rates rediculous my only hope is that Trump screws America's economy by this China stuff so the exchange value evens out

Thanks for the unnecessary political rant. America's economy really doesn't have anything to do with this issue.

Also, don't forget that you can keep your $40 and just convert gold to gems. I'm a filthy casual player and I can at least manage that, so it really can't be that difficult. ;)

@grouchybhaal.4275 said:

@"Shep.4026" said:Maybe ANet has nothing to do with it. Maybe the companies are aren't stocking up on them anymore, simply because demand has dwindled over the past years. Maybe it's not worth it for them to stock up under a certain amount and purchasing this amount is taking the risk of not selling them all. I'm guessing here, but I seriously doubt ANet will reimberse gem card sellers for unsold gem cards :)

I have also noticed that prices for them have gone up by more than 25 % in online stores. This might be a sign that
their
supply is diminishing, too.

Because anet doesnt see that extra money... Governments do.. The paypal dollar discrepancy is taxes been applied to e-goods and exchange rates being applied.

Once anet recieves the money.. Its still the same valve (or close too)

huh??? as far as i know Anet dont pay the aussie government a single cent

looking at my past bank statements, I have not been charged a GST for any of my gem purchases on my credit card, but I do see I got charged GST for foreign seller on AU eBay purchases, which is on-top of the price listed on eBay

and if you look at ATO's tax law, when we purchase gems via their online store, it is not subjected to GSThttps://www.ato.gov.au/Business/International-tax-for-business/In-detail/Doing-business-in-Australia/GST-cross-border-transactions-between-businesses/

Supplies ‘not connected with Australia’Generally, for non-resident suppliers who do not run an enterprise in Australia, the following transactions are no longer connected with Australia and therefore will not be subject to GST:

• supplies of intangibles (such as services and digital products) which are performed in Australia are not connected if the recipient is an Australian-based business recipient or a non-resident acquiring the intangibles for their overseas enterprise
  • a transfer of ownership of leased goods which are located in Australia, where the transfer takes places between non-residents that do not have an enterprise in Australia
  • a supply of goods where the supplier installs or assembles the goods in Australia, but does not import the goods into Australia.

Paypal is no longer a good way to buy good outside of Australia in foreign currency since couple of years ago, you are getting double-dipped in terms of the multiple transaction fees

1. Paypal foreign currency conversion; they dont charge a fee, but it is passed on in the form of under market's offer rate
  2. Your bank charges you for offshore processing, because if the receiver of the money is not in Australia it is processed at Paypal's processes the transaction at receiver's country/zone

right now you are looking at about AUD$150 for 8000 gems @ USD$100 directly from Anet

at the time of GW2 launch, 1 AUD was around 0.90 USD, now is is 0.67 USD; so a AUD$35 gem card is equivalent to USD$31.50Anet would need to give the stores around a 5-10% discount of the face value of the gem card... so what Anet receives in pocket is around USD$30

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=USD&view=10Y

now, using today's exchange rate, AUD$35 is equivalent to USD$23.45, to maintain that USD$31.50 margin, the price of gem card will need to be raised to $47, and they can't just 'raise it', thus it is no brainer not to sell gem cards in Australia anymore

this is basically how Apple and American software's pricing works in Australia...for example, Microsoft Windows 10 Home, AUD$225, and USD$139 (which is AUD$207.46)... and WHY are we being charged a 'premium' you may ask? the term we use in the financial services world is called 'Hedging Currency Risks', basically you price your item at a higher point to avoid fluctuation of the currency exchange to reduce the chance of losshttps://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/082515/how-avoid-exchange-rate-risk.asp

here's a news back in 2013, you can basically fly to the US to buy a software and fly back to Australia, it is still cheaper than buying in Australiahttps://www.news.com.au/finance/business/it-is-cheaper-to-fly-to-us-than-buy-adobe-software-in-australia/news-story/158aa7824a22e1e66611c2afb5e7a61a

in this case, gem cards are Forward Contracts, meaning if the local currency becomes weak against USD, Anet get less money in USD

just inflation alone, $35 back then is equivalent to around $42 in today's moneyhttps://www.rba.gov.au/calculator/annualDecimal.html

obviously, us the consumers are taking the blunt the of bat, but that's just how things go when you use a foreign service; and Anet and NCSoft have a responsibility to answer to their shareholders to keep the revenue in good health to fund future growths

• 2 weeks later...

@Fixintothrill.1067 said:I'd just like to add my concern to the development surrounding the apparent cease of gem cards and the following issue of unavailability of options to obtain gems other then digitally.

Would love to see a new option at least, if the contract has ended with the current currency card company.

unless AUD becomes a dominant currency like USD, EURO, YEN, or tethered at a fixed rate, i dont see anet will add AUD because the volume is nowhere near the likes of Steam

Apple sells their stuffs all over the world in the local currency of the countries, but these are kept offshore as foreign reserves to pay for local staffs, marketing and other operational related expenses; they dont bring them back to the US for 1, the currency exchange rate and fees, 2nd, they will be taxed by the US government