New Living Story event idea

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Pifil.5193 said:No combat of any type in the cities please,the last thing I want is to be ganked halfway through crafting 700 linen bolts.

I sympathize but the way you phrased it made me laugh so hard now I want this to happen to see that

It was fun for Living Story season 1 when LA was under attack...Read my comment above this one too as im not making a permanent suggestion or even all cities at once for all day.

Season 1 never had open world PvP.

I didnt say it did.The subject was about dying at a crafting station.

Season 1 all of LA was shut down for the event, city was in ruins and those who wanted to craft something went to one of the other major cities.After the event, took 6 months or before LA was rebuilt to what it is now.

Im probably one of the few that thought LS1 was by far the best LS they ever did.

To do that they effectively made LA an explorable event map (like Dragon's Stand or Silverwastes). All the services were moved to the Vigil Keep and anyone using the asura gates (or other methods) to get to LA was instead re-directed there. Functionally it wasn't a city any more, it was an event map populated only by people going to do the events.

So if they did a PvP version of that it would be a copy of a city map dedicated entirely to fighting other players. The only people who would go in would be ones who had chosen to go there to fight other players in that map. How would that be any different to WvW? (Apart from being a smaller map .)

It would solve the problem of annoying people who just want to craft, use the bank etc. and new players who wouldn't have any idea what was going on. But I don't understand what the appeal would be for PvPers. Aside from the brief novelty of fighting on a different map (something WvW players have historically hated - including complaining about the desert borderlands so much it was changed from a rotation to 1 optional map most of them avoid) I don't see what the benefit of this idea is or why anyone would choose to play PvP in a city map instead of any of the ones which already exist.

Incidentally they have done a PvP focused LW release at least once. When Edge of the Mists was launched it was worked into the story - Taimi and Braham went there and you had to help them rebuild Scruffy by finding parts scattered around (this is when we first found out about Taimi's illness - she explained that she couldn't walk far and Braham couldn't leave her alone, which is why you had to go). So Anet clearly aren't opposed to including PvP in the story, but I think there has to be a reason for it, and especially a reason for building new WvW maps (even using existing maps as the basis for it).

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Pifil.5193" said:No combat of any type in the cities please,the last thing I want is to be ganked halfway through crafting 700 linen bolts.

I sympathize but the way you phrased it made me laugh so hard now I want this to happen to see that

It was fun for Living Story season 1 when LA was under attack...Read my comment above this one too as im not making a permanent suggestion or even all cities at once for all day.

Season 1 never had open world PvP.

I didnt say it did.The subject was about dying at a crafting station.

Season 1 all of LA was shut down for the event, city was in ruins and those who wanted to craft something went to one of the other major cities.After the event, took 6 months or before LA was rebuilt to what it is now.

Im probably one of the few that thought LS1 was by far the best LS they ever did.

You're comparing apples to oranges here though.

Not only is this a full out PvE event in a PvE area compared to a PvP event in a PvE area, but LA was not a city zone at the time. There were also a ton of complaints about LA being changed. Among which was story progression being an issue; this is likely a big reason for why Arenanet hasn't done something similar since then, even though Divinity's Reach and The Grove both got assaulted in the LW, there was no major changes to the cities.

(Also, crafting stations etc. returned with the Aftermath content, so LA was only "not a city" for 1 month; on top of that, all other services of importance were moved to Vigil Keep, so players never really "lost" the services of a city).

The only comparable event to what you're suggesting would be the branded BWE event. But that was really only feasible to do without issue because it was a beta weekend event, so the only thing people had to do in the area was the beta itself. So even comparing to that is still comparing two vastly different things for even
temporary
open world PvP.

Im not comparing anything?In your effort to nit pick, you didn't understand the example given from memory or the personal opinion but thats fine, majority are against it anyway ?.

@kharmin.7683 said:Why should the level of the map matter? I'm not a new player and I visit all levels of maps throughout depending on which character I want to play and my mood at the time. I don't want to have to deal with PvP stuff in the PvE maps, regardless of map level.

Because newer players are less often in Cursed Shore than in Plains of Ashford.

And like I said, it would have to be something that was very well advertised by in game mail. To expand on this: everyone who logs in gets a mail well in advance and periodically beforehand. So that anyone who did not want to do that event can make sure they know to avoid the map during the times the event is live on the map. Dailies are worked to avoid that map and a map without a world boss or temple or dungeon (unless dungeon locked in open state and the area immediately around the dungeon is a no PvP zone - which they can do.

@Seera.5916 said:And like I said, it would have to be something that was very well advertised by in game mail. To expand on this: everyone who logs in gets a mail well in advance and periodically beforehand. So that anyone who did not want to do that event can make sure they know to avoid the map during the times the event is live on the map.I don't think encouraging player to avoid PvE maps is a good idea. Why should one type of game-play dictate this, especially when PvP already has it's own mode?

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Seera.5916 said:And like I said, it would have to be something that was very well advertised by in game mail. To expand on this: everyone who logs in gets a mail well in advance and periodically beforehand. So that anyone who did not want to do that event can make sure they know to avoid the map during the times the event is live on the map.I don't think encouraging player to avoid PvE maps is a good idea. Why should one type of game-play dictate this, especially when PvP already has it's own mode?

If it was say like the branded beta event, even PvE players who normally don't Play PvP may join in some. I know I would.

And one weekend on rare occasions is just fine for things like this.

@Seera.5916 said:If it was say like the branded beta event, even PvE players who normally don't Play PvP may join in some. I know I would.The branded events are completely optional, even if one is on the same map. From what I understand, the PvP idea would be open across the map and the only way that PvE'rs would be able to opt out would be to not be on the map. To me, that is not a good stance for the game to have, especially since PvP has their own maps already. If PvE players who don't normally PvP want to do that type of content, there is already an avenue in place for that. I just don't see the benefit to the game to do this, whether or not I personally like it or not.

And one weekend on rare occasions is just fine for things like this.I would think it would be a lot of developer resources for so little gain if it were limited to a rare weekend. Again, I don't see the benefit to the game.

I'm not intentionally trying to be argumentative, so please don't mis-read. For ANet to implement this type of idea, I would think that they would need to see a significant benefit in order to dedicate the resources. Having something similar to this in Blade & Soul, I can attest from my personal experience that I really don't enjoy being ganked when I'm just trying to play the game. GW2 has areas for both PvE and PvP and, in my opinion, those types of content should not be intermixed.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Seera.5916 said:If it was say like the branded beta event, even PvE players who normally don't Play PvP may join in some. I know I would.The branded events are completely optional, even if one is on the same map. From what I understand, the PvP idea would be open across the map and the only way that PvE'rs would be able to opt out would be to not be on the map. To me, that is not a good stance for the game to have, especially since PvP has their own maps already. If PvE players who don't normally PvP want to do that type of content, there is already an avenue in place for that. I just don't see the benefit to the game to do this, whether or not I personally like it or not.

And one weekend on rare occasions is just fine for things like this.I would think it would be a lot of developer resources for so little gain if it were limited to a rare weekend. Again, I don't see the benefit to the game.

I'm not intentionally trying to be argumentative, so please don't mis-read. For ANet to implement this type of idea, I would think that they would need to see a significant benefit in order to dedicate the resources. Having something similar to this in Blade & Soul, I can attest from my personal experience that I really don't enjoy being ganked when I'm just trying to play the game. GW2 has areas for both PvE and PvP and, in my opinion, those types of content should not be intermixed.

Yea, I put low priority on something like this. Just saying the only way I would support something like this being done. Short period of being active and highly advertised via in game mail for a map with a lower percentage of new players and the least disruption to world bosses and other important PvE aspects. They already have a decent amount of things that push toward WvW which is a mesh of PvE and PvP.

I enjoy both PvP and WvW and have played on open world pvp servers in the past in other games that had it. But no, I don't see it here and wouldn't want to attack someone that didn't release an event was going on and wasn't ready for a fight.

Now that said, let's spin it. Make a copy of the home cities, remove some NPCs, add some objectives, supply camps, sentries and and release them as WvW maps for an event and good with that. Some of the home cities would be a blast as a battlefield with the various path ways thru town.

It could be interesting if a war broke out between the three Orders. The battle takes place in an instance of Fort Trinity. Only characters who are aligned to one of the Order can enter this instance. That means they must complete their personal story up to that point of choosing an Order (and be able to travel to Fort Trinity or the Straits where the Fort is located). When the war starts, mail is sent to each character from their respective Order.