A Few Questions on Offhand Weapon Choices for Tempest

broFenix.1632

Hi everyone, I recently started playing Tempest and Elementalist in general again recently and I wanted to ask for some help. I am playing with this build: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Dagger/x_Fresh_Air.

I was wondering if I should play with Dagger/Warhorn, Dagger/Dagger, or Dagger/Focus, just for Open World content. I think I see that Warhorn does not have any condition cleanse, while offhand Dagger and Focus do. Warhorn seems like it has better damage, oddly enough, than offhand Dagger, even though people online on Reddit and these forums have said offhand Dagger has the highest damage of the offhand weapons. May I ask what condition cleanse I can take if using Warhorn, as conditions can do a ton of damage on me in the Open World alone?

I also wondered if using Ring of Fire (#4 Fire skill on offhand Dagger) and Ride the Lightning (#4 Air skill on offhand Dagger) are DPS losses, as they really seem like they are. Should I even use Ring of Fire and Ride the Lightning or should I just switch to Air and use the autoattack?

What would you all recommend in general in open world, for which offhand weapon to take?

Thank you for the help.

Focus is only worth it if running a condition build, else it's a DPS loss for survivability.

Warhorn has higher DPS vs large hitboxes, which barely exist in open world. In a 1v1 I would say Dagger, but vs many mobs Air #4 and Air #5 of Warhorn can obliterate groups of them while holding on its useful utility. However, on Tempest, I would go for Warhorn because of the better AoE + you trait Fresh Air so you will barely touch Fire attunement for Fire Grab/Ring of Fire to be of much impact. If you feel confident enough you may drop Arcane for Water because Water got a lovely 20% worth of damage modifiers post last patch

For condition cleanses you have a delayed (5s for overload) permanent pulsing cleanse from Water Overload. Another way would be Wash the Pain Away cleansing only 1 condition on the final pulse, so care you may need to dodge or might get interrupted, thus, no cleanse. The last option would come at a 3-10% damage loss (swapping Sigil of Impact for Sigil of Cleansing).

I would go for Warhorn and if the gameplay isn't satisfying then Dagger for offhand.

For mainhand, Scepter is more bursty than Dagger, but both come close in consistency. Dagger has evades and a lovely shocking aura + higher conditions application vs a blind or toughness from Scepter.

@"broFenix.1632" said:Hi everyone, I recently started playing Tempest and Elementalist in general again recently and I wanted to ask for some help. I am playing with this build: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Dagger/x_Fresh_Air.

I was wondering if I should play with Dagger/Warhorn, Dagger/Dagger, or Dagger/Focus, just for Open World content. I think I see that Warhorn does not have any condition cleanse, while offhand Dagger and Focus do. Warhorn seems like it has better damage, oddly enough, than offhand Dagger, even though people online on Reddit and these forums have said offhand Dagger has the highest damage of the offhand weapons. May I ask what condition cleanse I can take if using Warhorn, as conditions can do a ton of damage on me in the Open World alone?

I also wondered if using Ring of Fire (#4 Fire skill on offhand Dagger) and Ride the Lightning (#4 Air skill on offhand Dagger) are DPS losses, as they really seem like they are. Should I even use Ring of Fire and Ride the Lightning or should I just switch to Air and use the autoattack?

What would you all recommend in general in open world, for which offhand weapon to take?

Thank you for the help.

I'm having a lot of fun with my new Tempest w/this scepter/dagger hybrid build in OW, especially metas. Very cheap to equip and try out:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAsilJwmYXMKWJOKTttdA-zRZULB9JEEob0wGD0ciCwxsso0G-e

• Very melty goodness.
  • Spend most of you time in Fire Attun.
  • Provides some ok group support in Water.
  • Ring of Fire is great AoE dmg due to 1300 condi and 97% burn duration.
  • 16.5k health makes life less squishy.
  • Sigil on dagger is up to you.
  • Food buffs, traits can vary too.
  • Rebound can be swapped to Fiery Greatsword or Elemental based on need.
  • Elemental Power can be swapped to Eye of the Storm for swiftness needs.

Easy, fun and cheap.

Thank you for the replies everyone! I will go with playing Dagger/Warhorn Tempest for now, in the open world, and switch to Dagger/Dagger sometimes for fun and to do more damage vs single small hitbox enemies. I realize now that Evasive Arcana, in the Arcane traitline, lets you heal 1 condition when dodging while attuned to Water. I will use that in combination with Overload Water to cleanse conditions, using Overload Water only when I have multiple conditions on me that are significant.

I do think Ride the Lightning seems to be a DPS loss and isn't useful in Open World for mobility, in my opinion, as mounts are so fast to move with when out of combat and you can glide even while in combat at a faster speed than running, if you're elevated.

Personally im running water traitline With tempest and lightning.

I got the water trait for extra dmg bonus 20% if im in water 10% if im outside a bonus in landing extra vulnerabilities plus some healing im a hybrid i probably don't do a lot of dmg but im experimenting with this builds its probably not the most optimal build.

Water:2-3-2Lightning:3-2-2Tempest:3-3-3

Weapons:scepter warhorn.

My plan go and do overload go to water throw some vulnerabilities, heal myself do some dmg then go back maybe use fire.

I wonder if this build would work in fractals? i mean dmg im doing right now isn't the best but i transfered most of my gear to my necro again.

@Axl.8924 said:Personally im running water traitline With tempest and lightning.

I got the water trait for extra dmg bonus 20% if im in water 10% if im outside a bonus in landing extra vulnerabilities plus some healing im a hybrid i probably don't do a lot of dmg but im experimenting with this builds its probably not the most optimal build.

My plan go and do overload go to water throw some vulnerabilities, heal myself do some dmg then go back maybe use fire.

I wonder if this build would work in fractals? i mean dmg im doing right now isn't the best but i transfered most of my gear to my necro again.

You can find the build and rotation on snowcrows website. It's one of the best ele builds for fractals, but with slightly different rotation.

@steki.1478 said:

@Axl.8924 said:Personally im running water traitline With tempest and lightning.

You can find the build and rotation on snowcrows website. It's one of the best ele builds for fractals, but with slightly different rotation.

Actually without even looking at snow crows that's the exact same one they use for raids.