Small pvp arena in towns?

neoteo.3975

There should be a place where PvEvP is available (not everywhere). I think its fun to PvE and be aware of possible battles on the way. Something like Vigil vs Priory vs Order of the Whispers.I played Aion and there were places where ppl would get good exp/loot from PvE but it was open to PvP (not a FFA, was a race thing).

@dtox.8397 said:

@dtox.8397 said:There should be a place where PvEvP is available (not everywhere).

It's called World vs World.

WvW is more like a PvP. I dont see the PvE in WvW. With like 10 ppl theres pretty much no effort to take guards down. PvPvE is a place where you would farm mobs with the possibility of getting jumped on by a player.

There is lots of PVE in WVW, in fact many WVW players complain that there is too much of it. You can get jumped easily while killing those guards and I doubt those 10 players will have any trouble if they are "jumped". If you want that experience go to WVW and roam, obviously nobody will try to jump 100 players, it's suicide. But jumping individual players farming mobs and doing their dailies happens all the time.

@dtox.8397 said:There should be a place where PvEvP is available (not everywhere). I think its fun to PvE and be aware of possible battles on the way. Something like Vigil vs Priory vs Order of the Whispers.I played Aion and there were places where ppl would get good exp/loot from PvE but it was open to PvP (not a FFA, was a race thing).

Umm, they are known as monsters and already exist? If I REALLY want to fight other players it is pretty easy to head to a place where I can do that.

@dtox.8397 said:

@dtox.8397 said:There should be a place where PvEvP is available (not everywhere).

WvW is more like a PvP. I dont see the PvE in WvW. With like 10 ppl theres pretty much no effort to take guards down. PvPvE is a place where you would farm mobs with the possibility of getting jumped on by a player.

Would it not be easier to add a couple more random mobs to WVW than to overhaul PVE to add PVP elements?

@"maddoctor.2738" said:

There is lots of PVE in WVW, in fact many WVW players complain that there is too much of it. You can get jumped easily while killing those guards and I doubt those 10 players will have any trouble if they are "jumped". If you want that experience go to WVW and roam, obviously nobody will try to jump 100 players, it's suicide. But jumping individual players farming mobs and doing their dailies happens all the time.

@Menadena.7482 said:

Would it not be easier to add a couple more random mobs to WVW than to overhaul PVE to add PVP elements?

Theres way more Player versus Buildings than PvE. Takes us way longer to take down a wall than to kill the lord. Also noone kill guard/mobs for that specific loot. I think the idea is a place that ppl would be willing to farm mobs and kill eachother. Anyway, its just a idea that popped in my mind, its not something i've always wished for lol

@dtox.8397 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:

Theres way more Player versus Buildings than PvE. Takes us way longer to take down a wall than to kill the lord. Also noone kill guard/mobs for that specific loot. I think the idea is a place that ppl would be willing to farm mobs and kill eachother. Anyway, its just a idea that popped in my mind, its not something i've always wished for lol

Isn’t player vs buildings PvE (player vs environment)? It’s certainly not PvP.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

but it's not as fun as it was in World of Warcraft. (when it was fun)or multiple other games of open world, ffa pvp.Can't have that though. The raiders wouldn't like it.No pve raiders= no game.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

WvW all looks the same.Everything looking the same is boring.There is no legitimate realm pride because there are only a set amount of races that everyone can play and they all look the same too.

As to the state of pvp, the longer WvW goes, the less people care.Insta port here, Insta port there.Mount to here, mount to there.Everything has to have a reward or no one plays.Playing for fun is a lost concept. The decor, the style, the look--none of it helps.

@neoteo.3975 said:It could add some fun to towns, without any reward besides pure fun of killing people afk. Dead people could just use wp to revive without costs and without armour damage.

I would love this as a permanent improvement, but an event with this would also be great.

Thanks

HOLY HELL AMAZING IDEA!!!

New Living Story event: The mists have collapsed. PvP players have been set loose in major cities, fight back to take control of the city!

@"Zacchary.6183" said:How about Duel Invitations? You invite someone to duel (assuming they have not blocked you or duel requests in general) and upon accepting you two become hostile to each other until one is defeated. Then they revive. That way, people who couldn't be bothered can continue playing in peace.

I have played a few games like this, you had an option in settings to "allow duel invites", when both people had it on, you could click on their name and pick "duel", the other person would get a notification that when opened gave a yes/no prompt that said "player name wants to duel, do you accept?". You would both become red to each other, no one else could attack or help (boons from other players other than yourself did not effect you), once one person reached 0HP, both people turned green again, neither player actually died, it just reset to friendly mode and full HP and you got a popup again on if you won/lost, dmg done etc etc along with win/loss ratio.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:If they simply wanted to 1vs1 someone, they'd do it with the many options given by the game, but with all those options they won't be able to show off their leet skillz.

Could you list all these options? What I think, there is no 1vs1 option in the game: the "options" are all loose contracts between players, and either they have limited access or you can't control ganking by audience.

Socializing (meeting new "random" people, discussing, sharing tips, etc) at sparring circles is one important aspect. It is the way to find like-minded people.

@Menadena.7482 said:Why? People go to towns for a space space. If you want to be annoying to people go to WVW and kill people as much as you want.

If I am concentrating on crafting something the LAST thing I need is for someone to kill me for 'fun'.

If you are able to make it through my obvious wall of text, I think you will see the desire and fun in a more open form of pvp.

Killing players is really fun. It's especially fun while doing so to players that log on to alts just to use 'salty' language about your actions. It's a blast. It usually comes with a good amount of risk and a great deal of sacrificed time for the one traveling to the contested area and instigating the fight.

BUT ITS NOT FUN! I got GANKED. It's unfair! That's not nice! That made me angry

People win and people lose and it all doesn't go one way, everytime. I've heard all the complaints in other games. And every single time, the truth is, it is a learn to play moment in that characters history. Many find, that it only takes a small amount of effort to craft in a safe zone without the fear of their in game character dying.

In WoW, the other side of the fun, is when the person that got killed while leveling, calls in friends to defend them and then in turn, the intiators of the original fight, call in their friends. Before you know it, a whole area is having a very fun and exciting battle. World of Warcraft had this in a few zones and it was great fun had for all. Even on pvp servers, most of the leveling in a 'contested' (pvp possible) zone could be avoided for those that really disliked pvp. Then again, maybe they should of just stayed away from a pvp game with a pvp server.

In Shadowbane, anyone could be attacked anywhere. If we were in the same guild, I could attack your character while you were afk, even in our keep that is generally safe. As a thief, I could even steal items out of your bag. But the guards would attack me. Most of the time, attacks on fellow players were done on accident. Sometimes there were disagreements settled with fights in the keep and other times there were spies. The intrigue, the politics, the Roleplaying made it all very enjoyable for all.

Somewhere along the line of MMO's , back in the Ultima days, there was a large contingent of players that wanted a completely safe, banel and to me at least, a boring game.Every successive game starting moving away from pvp. No one wanted any type of risk whatsoever. It started with Ultima to Shaowbane to Lineage and Lineage two, to Dark Ages of Camelot, to Star Wars Galaxies to World of Warcraft, to Guild Wars and now Guild Wars 2. Now in Guildwars 2, no longer are there defining Races between factions, there is no dueling, there are no Free For All areas and there definitely is no looting from pvp or losing gear on death. Armor doesn't even break....leading to another problem in the economy. But I digress....

FFA games are not for the PVE crowd that makes up the bulk of most companies business. So that playerbase is catered to heavily even in our very own WvW.WvW has more pve than I've ever seen in a Realm Vs Realm Vs Realm scenario, a game model that was promised to cater to the old school players that really enjoyed pvp.Now, everyone is safe, everywhere they would like to be. And what, now they want to have even more pve in a Realm Vs Realm area? Sure bring it on, can I instigate fun fights while said players are doing their pve? Bring it on!

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:Why? People go to towns for a space space. If you want to be annoying to people go to WVW and kill people as much as you want.

If I am concentrating on crafting something the LAST thing I need is for someone to kill me for 'fun'.

If you are able to make it through my obvious wall of text, I think you will see the desire and fun in a more open form of pvp.

Killing players is really fun. It's especially fun while doing so to players that log on to alts just to use 'salty' language about your actions. It's a blast. It usually comes with a good amount of risk and a great deal of sacrificed time for the one traveling to the contested area and instigating the fight.

BUT ITS NOT FUN! I got GANKED. It's unfair! That's not nice! That made me angry

People win and people lose and it all doesn't go one way, everytime.
I've heard all the complaints in other games. And every single time, the truth is, it is a learn to play moment in that characters history. Many find, that it only takes a small amount of effort to craft in a safe zone without the fear of their in game character dying.

In WoW, the other side of the fun, is when the person that got killed while leveling
, calls in friends to defend them and then in turn, the intiators of the original fight, call in their friends. Before you know it, a whole area is having a very fun and exciting battle. World of Warcraft had this in a few zones and it was great fun had for all. Even on pvp servers, most of the leveling in a 'contested' (pvp possible) zone could be avoided for those that really disliked pvp. Then again, maybe they should of just stayed away from a pvp game with a pvp server.

In Shadowbane, anyone could be attacked anywhere.
If we were in the same guild, I could attack your character while you were afk, even in our keep that is generally safe. As a thief, I could even steal items out of your bag. But the guards would attack me. Most of the time, attacks on fellow players were done on accident. Sometimes there were disagreements settled with fights in the keep and other times there were spies. The intrigue, the politics, the Roleplaying made it all very enjoyable for all.

Somewhere along the line of MMO's
, back in the Ultima days, there was a large contingent of players that wanted a completely safe, banel and to me at least, a boring game.
Every successive game starting moving away from pvp
. No one wanted any type of risk whatsoever. It started with Ultima to Shaowbane to Lineage and Lineage two, to Dark Ages of Camelot, to Star Wars Galaxies to World of Warcraft, to Guild Wars and now Guild Wars 2. Now in Guildwars 2, no longer are there defining Races between factions, there is no dueling, there are no Free For All areas and there definitely is no looting from pvp or losing gear on death. Armor doesn't even break....leading to another problem in the economy. But I digress....

FFA games are not for the PVE crowd that makes up the bulk of most companies business.
So that playerbase is catered to heavily even in our very own WvW.WvW has more pve than I've ever seen in a Realm Vs Realm Vs Realm scenario, a game model that was promised to cater to the old school players that really enjoyed pvp.Now, everyone is safe, everywhere they would like to be. And what, now they want to have even more pve in a Realm Vs Realm area? Sure bring it on, can I instigate fun fights while said players are doing their pve? Bring it on!

Thumbs down. Again, we need more PVE in WVW and PVP .... oh, AND being non targetable by other players. You would go for that, right? Why not?

@dtox.8397 said:

I spent nearly 6 hours today killing NPCs in WVW, if capturing nothing but camps, dolyaks and guards doesnt count as PVE in a PVP area, then what does? Im just glad that i only ran into the -same- 6 players over and over, instead of the gank squads i ran into yesterday. But even then, out of those, i think i managed to kill one? on my ele. Between the mesmers who run off as soon as they get low on health who you cant catch, the thiefs who vanish and then run away, and the invincible dragonhunters i will never ever enjoy(i dont enjoy WvW its a necessity for legendary weapons.) Any kind of PVP content in a PVE map.

I actually have gotten around to playing WoW for the past month or so, and these expected horror stories about if open world PvP-PVE is implemented in Gw2 is just starting to make me think a lot of other players are paranoid about actually any sort of PvP regardless if it affects them or not aka PVP=NO STOP PVP BAD. In WoW by default War mode is set to off(The thing that lets PvP happen in PVE spaces), and you have to jump through a hoop or two to turn it on(You can only turn it on in a main city, and the only incentive to do so is just increased quest rewards etc. Not only that but people who have War mode turned on get sharded into a a PVE/PVP shard only, away from those who have it off.

Though it's not like Anet will ever implement open world PVP though, so i don't know why everyone is so scared of anyone purposing this idea/so quick to shoot it down. Hell they can't/won't even make a queue for 2v2/3v3s. for a supposed PVP mode, let alone make a system for open world PVP with the limited resources they have. Just expect the usual.

Well that would sound fun to me, since I PvP for the win daily and like to watch streams. It would just be like another Heart of the Mists (the one at present with the FFA Arena).Won't be opposed to new and exciting environments in which my friends and I can bash each other's skulls in. Maybe it could get an interface like the Crown Pavilion arenas.Plus, we would be able to fight while enjoying thematic scenery like The Grove, Ebonhawke, Lion's Arch and whatnot. That's top tier roleplay right there, fulfilling our RPPvP needs.

That's just me personally.

Another idea is to make these small scale thematic arenas and put them in portals in the cities/hubs, so people can walk-in for duels and stuff. Having 1 or few in each city means that there needn't be overlap and queue-ups for usage while allowing interaction if new people do arrive in these spots.