[suggestion] invisible commander tag

Safandula.8723

@style.6173 said:Actually a really bad idea to implement this. WvW is struggling to get people as it is. A lot of times, players will look for a tag and if there are none, they will leave.

I definitely see the appeal to groups that want to run closed, but any group that is good does that effectively already.

We should have had a guild tag day one. Its a QoL issue. You get a group helping a larger zerg and that's a lot of dots. The whole point of a tag was to make it easier for a group to follow. So to say this means that we should have no tags, find the driver amoung the zerg. Your statement makes no sense.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@style.6173 said:Actually a really bad idea to implement this. WvW is struggling to get people as it is. A lot of times, players will look for a tag and if there are none, they will leave.

I definitely see the appeal to groups that want to run closed, but any group that is good does that effectively already.

We should have had a guild tag day one. Its a QoL issue. You get a group helping a larger zerg and that's a lot of dots. The whole point of a tag was to make it easier for a group to follow. So to say this means that we should have no tags, find the driver amoung the zerg. Your statement makes no sense.The statement makes perfect sense. Even Anet themselves has said that they want WvW to be inclusive, not exclusive and as such couldnt encourage hidden tags. Visible tags is just part of the squad functionality. People are meant to use it.

Make no mistake - this will hurt the appearance of activity in WvW if guilds run stealthy. Pugs wont see their presence on a border, other guilds wont see them, no one will be able to work together from a distance because no one will know where people are. I even predict confusion among guild raids when there can be several guilds on a border popping orange swords, other guilds rush there since their server cant be there (no com) only to find... their server there.

Its entirerly up to Anet to implement (pls Anet implement hover over squad description while you hold this!!!) and I wont cry over it as a feature when it arrives, I just dont see any way this can improve the gameplay.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

We should have had a guild tag day one. Its a QoL issue. You get a group helping a larger zerg and that's a lot of dots. The whole point of a tag was to make it easier for a group to follow. So to say this means that we should have no tags, find the driver amoung the zerg. Your statement makes no sense.The statement makes perfect sense. Even Anet themselves has said that they want WvW to be inclusive, not exclusive and as such couldnt encourage hidden tags. Visible tags is just part of the squad functionality. People are meant to use it.

Make no mistake - this
will
hurt the appearance of activity in WvW if guilds run stealthy. Pugs wont see their presence on a border, other guilds wont see them, no one will be able to work together from a distance because no one will know where people are. I even predict
confusion
among guild raids when there can be several guilds on a border popping orange swords, other guilds rush there since their server cant be there (no com) only to find... their server there.

Its entirerly up to Anet to implement (
pls Anet implement hover over squad description while you hold this!!!
) and I wont cry over it as a feature when it arrives, I just dont see any way this can improve the gameplay.

WvW is already that way since guilds that want to run private already can with the tag trick. So there's nothing to worry about.

@Queen Anastasia.7103 said:

People non-stop cry about blobs 24/7 in WvW. What happens when you tag up but wish to run small scale/guild only to improve together as a guild and focus on other objectives? Everyone and their mother flocks to you. Having the ability to tag invisible helps break up the blob mentality.

But, but its called WvW and not GvG ;-)

@Marmorix.9654 said:

@"style.6173" said:Actually a really bad idea to implement this. WvW is struggling to get people as it is. A lot of times, players will look for a tag and if there are none, they will leave.

People non-stop cry about blobs 24/7 in WvW. What happens when you tag up but wish to run small scale/guild only to improve together as a guild and focus on other objectives? Everyone and their mother flocks to you. Having the ability to tag invisible helps break up the blob mentality.

But, but its called WvW and not GvG ;-)

Game is called "guildwars" though.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@"style.6173" said:Actually a really bad idea to implement this. WvW is struggling to get people as it is. A lot of times, players will look for a tag and if there are none, they will leave.

Make no mistake - this
will
hurt the appearance of activity in WvW if guilds run stealthy. Pugs wont see their presence on a border, other guilds wont see them, no one will be able to work together from a distance because no one will know where people are. I even predict
confusion
among guild raids when there can be several guilds on a border popping orange swords, other guilds rush there since their server cant be there (no com) only to find... their server there.

) and I wont cry over it as a feature when it arrives, I just dont see any way this can improve the gameplay.

WvW is already that way since guilds that want to run private already can with the tag trick. So there's nothing to worry about.Most guilds doesnt actually do that though, they run with tag which people notice and approach - even if they arent "allowed" to - and increase the likelyhood of someone tagging pug merely by the presence of more people. The same pugs that will also be encouraged to remain simply by a guild taking the lead in assaults or helping in defense. They're not obliged to do anything, but sometimes it does feel good to ask for help from a guild on a border and actually seeing them come to help.

But hey I wont cry over the day when stealthy guilds bemoan fighting outmanned either and getting no help from pugs or guilds. I'll keep roaming and have no idea where other roamers are too because people barely talk anymore. Everyone keep saying that the "game mode" is the failure and what will kill WvW. No it wont. The absence of interaction is what will ultimately kill it.

@Chaba.5410 said:

Make no mistake - this
will
confusion

WvW is already that way since guilds that want to run private already can with the tag trick. So there's nothing to worry about.

Agree. Today squads are already running tagless and if anything they are more challenged by doing so. Hence my statement that the argument above made no sense. People are already tagging and people are already running tagless. My havoc runs tagless not because we mind people coming along but more out of courtesy that we don't want to pull any numbers from the main tag. We usually run open invite and have people just join us on the fly. Do we have people that squirrel off, yes because without a marker its easy to lose your driver. This will just allow smaller groups equal footing with larger one running tags. Now do I think this will create some more hidden tags among pugmanders, probably, do I think it will create a mechanism that people say get in voice else no invite, probably as well. But that happens today already.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Make no mistake - this
will
confusion

WvW is already that way since guilds that want to run private already can with the tag trick. So there's nothing to worry about.Most guilds doesnt actually do that though, they run with tag which people notice and approach - even if they arent "allowed" to - and increase the likelyhood of someone tagging pug merely by the presence of more people. The same pugs that will also be encouraged to remain simply by a guild taking the lead in assaults or helping in defense. They're not obliged to do anything, but sometimes it does feel good to ask for help from a guild on a border and actually seeing them come to help.

But hey I wont cry over the day when stealthy guilds bemoan fighting outmanned either and getting no help from pugs or guilds. I'll keep roaming and have no idea where other roamers are too because people barely talk anymore. Everyone keep saying that the "game mode" is the failure and what will kill WvW. No it wont. The absence of interaction is what will ultimately kill it.

So if most guilds run with a tag today when they know they can run privately, why are you worried about "the future of WvW"? Your predictions make zero sense.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

Make no mistake - this will hurt the appearance of activity in WvW if guilds run stealthy. Pugs wont see their presence on a border, other guilds wont see them, no one will be able to work together from a distance because no one will know where people are. I even predict confusion among guild raids when there can be several guilds on a border popping orange swords, other guilds rush there since their server cant be there (no com) only to find... their server there.

I partially agree; it will affect pugs/new players who aren't in any major WvW guilds. Outside of that most guilds are in TS or discord + have other well known guild leaders added. All it takes is to check server discord or friend/follower list to see what BL another guild is on so I doubt there's confusion.

@Queen Anastasia.7103 said:

People non-stop cry about blobs 24/7 in WvW. What happens when you tag up but wish to run small scale/guild only to improve together as a guild and focus on other objectives? Everyone and their mother flocks to you. Having the ability to tag invisible helps break up the
blob mentality

This is why it's called WvW? And, finally here we are, giving tags to small groups and guilds run. This would encourage more selfish Commanders and GLs to stop tagging in Open World and run with their guild or their preferred meta classes. So this what Alliance mode is all about? No more Zerg but only squads?

Eventually, it will forced many roamers to either join a WvW guild or quit totally. And, may i suggest changing the game mode name as soon as the private tag thingy is up? SvSvS will be more appropriate then.

This will be my last post here. I am joining my friends in another game, which I have been hesitant all these years. Only because I still enjoyed GW2 then. But not anymore. And, don't bother to troll and ask for my stuff. Like many of my posts, I will not check back on this topic. Anyway most of my stuff will be given to active players, not active forum participants. Byeee... :D

@Mil.3562 said:

People non-stop cry about blobs 24/7 in WvW. What happens when you tag up but wish to run small scale/guild only to improve together as a guild and focus on other objectives? Everyone and their mother flocks to you. Having the ability to tag invisible helps break up the
blob mentality

This
is why it's called WvW? And, finally here we are, giving tags to small groups and guilds run. This would encourage more selfish Commanders and GLs to stop tagging in Open World and run with their guild or their preferred meta classes. So this what Alliance mode is all about? No more Zerg but only squads?

Eventually, it will forced many roamers to either join a WvW guild or quit totally. And, may i suggest changing the game mode name as soon as the private tag thingy is up? SvSvS will be more appropriate then.

This will be my last post here. I am joining my friends in another game, which I have been hesitant all these years. Only because I still enjoyed GW2 then. But not anymore. And, don't bother to troll and ask for my stuff. Like many of my posts, I will not check back on this topic. Anyway most of my stuff will be given to active players, not active forum participants. Byeee... :D

I wouldn't bet against the statement that nature can't abide a vacuum. If pugmanders today all went invisible, other pugmanders would step up. We see this today already. Plus you are discounting that some tags show so they can more easily move together. I don't think that will stop occurring with private tags. There will be some shake up as people grow accustomed to the options but in the end I think the state we see today will continue but smaller groups will move more in rhythm and people will have better arguments to get people together in voice.

In this discussion, with people disliking the addition of that option, I think you are greatly underestimating the amount of players who could tag but does not want to because of disrespectful players flocking to consume the content of a tag while making it harder for the tag to produce content (or flocking to tag bags while not listening to or following the tag, creating queues where players who want to listen and help out gets stuck). I know plenty of people who could tag but just doesn't want to do it anymore under existing conditions. On most servers I'm on even reset nights tend to produce a 100-man queue on one border while every other border is open because literally everyone flocks to the one player with some name recognition.

I also think you are undervaluing all constructive things you could do with hidden tags to help public tags, making it easier to create focus parties around a commander to help them even if the groups are not completely socially compatible and things like that. It makes it alot easier to be helpful and nice without putting yourself and your friends at the behest of someone else. Having the ability to run a hidden tag gives alot tactical additions to encourage that kind of behaviour that a simple tagless squad simply does not have. It can aid in producing plenty of content or enable less experienced commanders to measure up to content produced with the support of outside organisation (ie., experienced players letting less experienced commanders do their thing without interference and rather with support from the outside). There are alot of potential positives that has been overlooked so far in your comments.

I for one am looking forward to getting this (back).

Also, a worthy note: I've yet to see someone I know to actually tag up complain about the option to hide the tag.

If you don't tag, what's the comparative value of your oppinion in this?

• 2 weeks later...

@MalinBlume.9314 said:maybe just me theorizing but if they DO release the invisible tag again, it will be with other WvW features and as a larger package.

MOST OF THE TIME, you wouldn't want to go invisible tag in PVE otherwise you'd get farmed by the raid boss.

I feel like this is more WvW tailored since there are many groups that want to run invisible and other things.(and maybe they will re-release this Friday on reset)

Unless you are a guild squad and don't want other people to flock where you are.

In the American civil war, and many wars in Europe in the old days of warfare. The banner was the rallying point for all troops within the unit and allied forces. Forces rallied around the commander. Even if you have a hidden tag. Any "lone" body that sees a large group of allied dots, is going to gravitate towards that larger mass. Safety in numbers. So you can have your hidden tag. But if you run by an area that has a loner that can see you, your group will grow, whether you want it to or not.

• 1 month later...

Patch Notes:World vs. WorldGeneralCommanders can now choose to make their squads private. This option will make their commander tag invisible on the map, but it will still show up for their squad mates. Commanders who choose to keep their squad public will now get an extra 3 pips per tick.

I think the extra pips is a good incentive to existing comms. This request has been out there for a while so thanks for making it happen, do side on I think this will help the havocs but to others that are concerned about main tags we will have to see how it plays out. If anything with the extra pips I think we might see more tags now.

Good hunting!

@TheGrimm.5624 said:Patch Notes:World vs. WorldGeneralCommanders can now choose to make their squads private. This option will make their commander tag invisible on the map, but it will still show up for their squad mates. Commanders who choose to keep their squad public will now get an extra 3 pips per tick.

I think the extra pips is a good incentive to existing comms. This request has been out there for a while so thanks for making it happen, do side on I think this will help the havocs but to others that are concerned about main tags we will have to see how it plays out. If anything with the extra pips I think we might see more tags now.

Good hunting!

Agreed with this. Nicely worded.

This will hasten the death of WvW. Invisible tags might have been a good idea when the game first came out and there were plenty of tags around and guilds wanted to be raiding, but with the current shortage of populations and lack of commanders making them invisible will just discourage even more 'casuals' or 'pugs' and populations will decline more.

3 extra pips for visible comm tag is nice- is there any restriction on squad size for that or will every comm now put their tag on all the time to gain the extra?

EDIT: NVM, read the tooltips, 5 people gets u one extra, 10 gets you 3. Phew.

I don't understand why people assume a hidden tag is some special form of non inclusive, normal tags can already run closed, they don't have to run open, so that theory is already out of the window. I mostly ran with fight guilds, which were small, 15-20, and people would ask all the time for us to untag because we were not part of the main group and it confused people, and the ones who show up to follow got mad when we didn't cap a tower/keep we got into, as we were 100% fight, we could battle a zerg in lords room and once they stopped coming back, we would leave. You can't believe the salty PMs we would get from those that stuck around to kill lord and cap that then got ran over by the few that came back to defend.

This also hurt skill groups and fight guilds that could keep a whole zerg busy for hours, as people were mad at us for tagging, and we didn't like rally bots following, though we were never vocal about people who would follow, if they asked to join we would just say it's a private guild run and move on. If we were looking for new people, or not having a guild run, we welcomed people and would look for people good enough to offer an invite to. However trying to force people to play with a visible tag who didn't want to, is only going to make those two groups MORE toxic to each other. When people finally learn that trying to force things like this on people only adds animosity to each side we will be better off.

At this point however it's a bit late, most skill groups or guilds that would run tagless are mostly gone, and probably only a handful left now. Who knows, maybe we will see more, and maybe Havoc will become a thing again?

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:However trying to force people to play with a visible tag who didn't want to, is only going to make those two groups MORE toxic to each other. When people finally learn that trying to force things like this on people only adds animosity to each side we will be better off.You where never forced to do anything. In its glory days of GvGs and borders brimming with guilds no one ran with tags because they didnt exist. The squad system is a crutch.

Either way Anet has differentiated visible tags with the pip gain so at least guilds dont get freebies for running silent. I was never in favor hidden tags but I dont really care if its there either way. I think the tag system should have been as is - it shows a squad and creates activity on the border by its mere presence, good or bad. Guilds running silent will make WvW appear even more desolate.

The biggest advantage I find on a personal level is not so much hiding the tag for hidings sake, but having access to squad markers in what would otherwise be just an untagged 3-5 man roaming party.

@Dawdler.8521 said:The biggest advantage I find on a personal level is not so much hiding the tag for hidings sake, but having access to squad markers in what would otherwise be just an untagged 3-5 man roaming party.It's enticing that not more players have drawn that conclusion. Even yourself spent most of the post talking about guilds, while guilds are more likely to follow pickups behaviour in both running with the tag and without it. If guilds are raiding there is a value in showing other potential guilds where you are but if they catch too many flies they are also likely to hide the tag. There are also likely to be pickups running community events closed but they will similarily on most occassions run open.

Instead, the most common use of hidden tags will most likely be roamers and havoc/focus looking to utilize squad utilities. That is almost entirely positive.