Can't buy gems using paypal [merged]

Same issue here when trying to upgrade the game. Both from Black Lion Trading Post in-game and from the website. Tried PayPal and Credit Card, no go either way.

Have been successfully able to purchase gems before without issues using same 2 options.

Opened up a ticket, a few hours ago but it does not look like anyone combed over it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks.

I'm also having an issue with purchasing gems, when I tried to do that today. I tried purchasing gems with MasterCard, VISA and PayPal and nothing seems to work. I've also

1. Verified that I actually have sufficient amount of money.
  2. Verified my internet connection is OK. According to Ookla's speedtest.net I have 40mbps download and 37mbps upload speed.
  3. Restarted my computer.
  4. Restarted my router just in case.
  5. Cleared Guild Wars 2 cache folder in %temp% (the game is running on windows 10)
  6. Checked my Win10 firewall settings to see that the game is allowed.
  7. Ran the game as administrator.
  8. I tried repairing the game client as described in https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201863008-Repairing-the-Game-Client, but the issue still persists.
  9. I tried paying with paypal and that didn't work either.

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

If anyone has any other suggestions what to do to resolve the problem shoot on! I don't want to wait for 10 days to get an answer from Support.

@"Skyrazalius.2873" said:Since two days ago I've had this issue as well. Tried using my credit card and PayPal and it keeps on giving me "Unfortunately an error has occured. Please try again later!". Never ever had this problem before, what is going on?

I'm not sure if this is already know info, and if it will help anyone in this thread in the future, but when I was having this problem it was because I was using a VPN.

I use to be able to purchase gems while using a VPN just fine, so it took me a bit to find out that was the cause. I wonder if it's connected to Belgium being blocked from buying certain gem store items, because it started happening around that time.

• ArenaNet Staff

@Lambent.6375 said:

I'm not sure if this is already know info, and if it will help anyone in this thread in the future, but when I was having this problem it was because I was using a VPN.

I use to be able to purchase gems while using a VPN just fine, so it took me a bit to find out that was the cause. I wonder if it's connected to Belgium being blocked from buying certain gem store items, because it started happening around that time.

That could be helpful information for others to have. Thanks for sharing it.

Could those of you reporting recent issues let us know if you have been using VPN when attempting a purchase?

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, I also have the same issue. I tried with paypal, credit card visa, credit card master, a mac computer and a window computer. It still gave me the same error like the above. Of course, also restarted computers and was not using VPN.I purchased gems 1 month ago with no problem. It just suddenly happen...Hope someone can look into this and fix this. A customer cannot gives money to the company probably not really good for the business and eco system.

I had contacted the support team yesterday.

Have a great day

I can't buy gems either - I'm trying to buy them using PayPal - everything is fine until I'm redirected to my browser to finish transaction. After I log to Paypal at my browser I'm asked for credit card details. I do NOT want to buy gems using credit card. I want to pay with paypal - why am I asked to give credit card number and details? I know my cousin has similar issue. Also I'm not using VPN and I was able to buy gems just fine few months ago via Paypal.

as of today, i cannot buy gems with either my personal credit card - i have tried several, including a debit card - or paypal. i have sufficient balance in all forms of payment and there is no stop charges from the cards or bank. i have submitted a ticket a few hours ago and have got no response, however after reading through some forums it seems that this has been a reoccurring issue. i would like to purchase gems and i feel as though if this keeps up, it's going to drive the economy gem crazy.

• 2 months later...

Hey,I'm also having the issue where it says "unfortunately an error has occurred please try again later" i've tried using my paypal. After the last epic episode 5 I wanted to buy gems but every time I got the same the error. This problem is inside gemstore, probably by Anet side. Gemstore can't generate website for paypal to finish paid.

Yesterday I bought PoF for my nephew, but I failed every time when I started in gemstore with the same error. When I used your shop website I successfully bought PoF. Can you add to your website shop GemCards too?

• 5 months later...

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:You can contact the Billing CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below and 'Submit a Ticket' for assistance. Each case is unique and one 'fix' does not solve all issues.

Good luck.

lol shouldnt need support ticket as bowdon said its gw2 thats losing money they should be the one putting in support tickets to get fixed unless they enjoy losing money aka customers. I know i can spend my money elsewhere because ive been having same problem with my debit card which ive been using for past couple years no issue untill like a week ago.

• 2 weeks later...

just sent a ticket to support. Same matter... After confirmation, loading, a sneaky message error "try again later" and no way to log in to paypal to pay... (so, not even paypal matter...)

Sad to see this random matter stays, also, would be easily avoided for most people by allowing to buy gems with website shop and/or with the account management. . .

Want to give some money to Anet and they dont want mine tsk

Here we are in 2019, almost 2020, and this problem still exist. Got to love the finger pointing game. I have tried using my PP account today and it fails to open my browser, which is use to do, so I can log into my PP. It will open a browser if you click on link to the terms of sale for DR but not for the purchase. This leads me to believe is a GW2 problem. Since fingers are being pointed, thought I would do little testing by clearing the cache, repairing the exe, changing the default browser to each one of my installed browsers and nothing works. Last thing I am going to trying to is a clean install and see if that helps.