Flurry, it stinks, what can we replace it with?

Lan Deathrider.5910

I think the idea for lunge to take the place for burst with some changes so it is more in line with other bursts is actually good, that opens the third sword skill for better ability one with whirl finisher like fast flourish to twirl the sword around and apply some stacks of bleed and activate a combo field(not spinning like a mad man that works on axe, not so much on swords) , i know i'm greedy to want the condition weapon to work with the condition field of torch on berserker, but come on torch is nice it just needs activators.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Vancho.8750 said:I think the idea for lunge to take the place for burst with some changes so it is more in line with other bursts is actually good, that opens the third sword skill for better ability one with whirl finisher like fast flourish to twirl the sword around and apply some stacks of bleed and activate a combo field(not spinning like a mad man that works on axe, not so much on swords) , i know i'm greedy to want the condition weapon to work with the condition field of torch on berserker, but come on torch is nice it just needs activators.

You can run sword/torch + sword/axe and whirl in the field but I get what you mean. I think what someone mentioned about with a series of rapid thrusts could also activate a combo field. I think projectile finisher would be more to the point (ahem), but it would probably need to be a whirling finisher.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Tycura.1982 said:A burst skill dependant on your offhand weapon.

That would be nice. An F2 based on your Offhand, and two handers get 2 bursts. Maybe Berserkers could get F1 Bursts back.

What Offhand Bursts would you like to see?

I was just thinking sword could be the only offhand burst weapon since flurry isn't good or memorable. As far as skills I'd say it should fit their theme and make better use of offhand weapons.

OH Sword -> Evading Slash (Think ranger sword)OH Axe -> Leg Swipe (melee range pull)

OH Mace -> Disarming Bash (Weakness and vulnerability)

OH Shield -> Stability boon and melee range knockback

OH Warhorn -> AoE based on targets hit for healing.

OH Torch can stay as fire flavored flurry

OH Dagger -> 600 range thrown dagger projection with small .25 second daze.

@Kiroshima.8497 said:

@"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:To clarify, just because I like something someone posts does not mean that I necessarily think that should be the choice made, so far all of you have presented fun proposed updates to Flurry.

Why not strip their stability and then daze them? I think what you are wanting here is a bit of a reach, but there are good things in it like the evading leap + daze. I think F1 being a buff that adds additional strikes is also a good idea, but I think meshing these two ideas together may be too much.

The reason I don't want to rip stab is because I don't want warrior to be a boon destruction class without spellbreaker. By making you able to daze THROUGH stab, it still lets you disarm foes without ripping away their protection from other hard cc skills like bulls charge and such. The goal of the skill is to interrupt an attack and reduce pressure, not to lock them down (which is why it doesnt lock out their utilities). It's more finesse than power, and warrior doesn't get to show that they are capable of it that often. It also ensures that dagger burst (which should put Disenchantment on foes IMO) is still the boon rip burst, while sword is the interrupter into an offensive buff state, but you still need to land further attacks in order to gain more damage. It also preserves sword's ability to complement weapon swap after the burst since you could swap to say, Longbow for a pulsing aoe with the Hundred Blades buff, or Greatsword 100 Blades with the Hundred Blades buff for even MORE SWORDS.

The reason why it also has a buff is that it allows sword to focus on its multi-hit game plan without being super commital to a self rooted (or even slow channel movent, it's a sword for fast movement and finesse) and act as an homage to one of the more classic GW1 sword skills, Hundred Blades. Just the evade/interrupt alone is hardly a burst skill, especially one with a more limited targeting method than full counter (which is a 300 radius, 5 target, unblockable attack).

Of course off hand sword would need a fix to go with this >_>Off hand sword is cursed.

I rly like the idea of a unique buff for warrior, especially since it feels like warriors are becoming less unique with every expansion added.

Also, we dont rly have a single burst skill that gives us some kind of buff (which i know goes against the theme of being a "burst" and nothing over time, but it would be refreshing to have something like that.

The only problem i see with your hundred blade homage is that a one handed sword is more of a single target weapon, or a dueling weapon, and not a cleaving weapon like a greatsword for example and dont see were that kind of buff would actually be helpful

@Tycura.1982 said:

That would be nice. An F2 based on your Offhand, and two handers get 2 bursts. Maybe Berserkers could get F1 Bursts back.

I was just thinking sword could be the only offhand burst weapon since flurry isn't good or memorable. As far as skills I'd say it should fit their theme and make better use of offhand weapons.

OH Sword -> Evading Slash (Think ranger sword)OH Axe -> Leg Swipe (melee range pull)

Well If F2 burst were added I do not think Berserker or Spellbreaker would get them, so no torch or dagger. Overall though those are good ideas. I suppose that evading slash would inflict torment and have respectable power damage on it.

What sort of F2s would you give the two handers?

@RedShark.9548 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:To clarify, just because I like something someone posts does not mean that I necessarily think that should be the choice made, so far all of you have presented fun proposed updates to Flurry.

Why not strip their stability and then daze them? I think what you are wanting here is a bit of a reach, but there are good things in it like the evading leap + daze. I think F1 being a buff that adds additional strikes is also a good idea, but I think meshing these two ideas together may be too much.

The reason I don't want to rip stab is because I don't want warrior to be a boon destruction class without spellbreaker. By making you able to daze THROUGH stab, it still lets you disarm foes without ripping away their protection from other hard cc skills like bulls charge and such. The goal of the skill is to interrupt an attack and reduce pressure, not to lock them down (which is why it doesnt lock out their utilities). It's more finesse than power, and warrior doesn't get to show that they are capable of it that often. It also ensures that dagger burst (which should put Disenchantment on foes IMO) is still the boon rip burst, while sword is the interrupter into an offensive buff state, but you still need to land further attacks in order to gain more damage. It also preserves sword's ability to complement weapon swap after the burst since you could swap to say, Longbow for a pulsing aoe with the Hundred Blades buff, or Greatsword 100 Blades with the Hundred Blades buff for even MORE SWORDS.

The reason why it also has a buff is that it allows sword to focus on its multi-hit game plan without being super commital to a self rooted (or even slow channel movent, it's a sword for fast movement and finesse) and act as an homage to one of the more classic GW1 sword skills, Hundred Blades. Just the evade/interrupt alone is hardly a burst skill, especially one with a more limited targeting method than full counter (which is a 300 radius, 5 target, unblockable attack).

Of course off hand sword would need a fix to go with this >_>Off hand sword is cursed.

I rly like the idea of a unique buff for warrior, especially since it feels like warriors are becoming less unique with every expansion added.

Also, we dont rly have a single burst skill that gives us some kind of buff (which i know goes against the theme of being a "burst" and nothing over time, but it would be refreshing to have something like that.

The only problem i see with your hundred blade homage is that a one handed sword is more of a single target weapon, or a dueling weapon, and not a cleaving weapon like a greatsword for example and dont see were that kind of buff would actually be helpful

Arcing Slice gives Fury. If you slot Arms all burst give Fury, if you take Burst Mastery they give swiftness, but I get your point. More self boons would be nice.

His Hundred Blade Idea could be single target though, the damage would have to be higher to compensate though.

Well If F2 burst were added I do not think Berserker or Spellbreaker would get them, so no torch or dagger. Overall though those are good ideas. I suppose that evading slash would inflict torment and have respectable power damage on it.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:To clarify, just because I like something someone posts does not mean that I necessarily think that should be the choice made, so far all of you have presented fun proposed updates to Flurry.

Arcing Slice gives Fury. If you slot Arms all burst give Fury, if you take Burst Mastery they give swiftness, but I get your point. More self boons would be nice.

His Hundred Blade Idea could be single target though, the damage would have to be higher to compensate though.

Im not talking about normal boons, my fault, should have clarified, im talking about unique buffs like the one he mentioned, special to warrior, not something we already get from every other class anyways.

@RedShark.9548 said:

Im not talking about normal boons, my fault, should have clarified, im talking about unique buffs like the one he mentioned, special to warrior, not something we already get from every other class anyways.

That would probably be better as a trait specific thing then.

Why? Binding that to a trait would mean it would be available to all burst skills... Which might look good at first, but if you think about it, it would probably lead to a) a weak "boon" or b) nerfs to all burst skills, which then become less viable if you dont take this trait, further lowering build diversity

If you tailor that specific "boon" to the burst skill it gives it more of an individual personallity, also, you could make it the main defining thing of that specific burst, because you could pack. More punch into that "boon" than into the activation part of the burst

And im. Using "boon", because im not talking about the standart boons like fury, swiftness etc.

@RedShark.9548 said:

Why? Binding that to a trait would mean it would be available to all burst skills... Which might look good at first, but if you think about it, it would probably lead to a) a weak "boon" or b) nerfs to all burst skills, which then become less viable if you dont take this trait, further lowering build diversity

If you tailor that specific "boon" to the burst skill it gives it more of an individual personallity, also, you could make it the main defining thing of that specific burst, because you could pack. More punch into that "boon" than into the activation part of the burst

And im. Using "boon", because im not talking about the standart boons like fury, swiftness etc.

As in binding it to Blademaster. We also have traits to give us buffs when we use a burst skill: Berserker's Power and Adrenal Health primarily. I should have clarified that it would probably require a sword to be equipped.

That does open the option then though for other weapon traits to get something similar, which would not necessarily be bad, but I think you wanted this just for Flurry correct?

@alcopaul.2156 said:lel?

kitten is this stuff?

flurry is useful coz of immobilize.

the damage and condi are just bonuses, which still has significant dmg because of full zerker gear.

You'd do the same amount of damage by auto attacking. Throw bolas covers any immobilize needs. The long duration immobilize might be useful in Queensdale, but after that you're better off on Core Sword to just not use F1.

kitten is this stuff?

the damage and condi are just bonuses, which still has significant dmg because of full zerker gear.

Uhm... you let Flurry finish its cast? Or you immediately weapon stow it after procing Megabane Tether and immobilize? Or was it sarcasm? I am confused.You really think that people in current balance will happily wait for your Flurry to finish its cast and eat that super amazing damage with some bleed stacks? Oooof...

The point of this thread is that Flurry, which may have been fine at launch, no longer is. Greatsword Burst was so terrible that they changed it to what it is now. Flurry is as bad now as the old GS burst was, mainly due to the self root but also to other issues with flurry, namely that the damage is not really any better than auto attacking and the long duration immobilize is weak now due to the plethora of condi cleanse that did not exist at launch.

@cryorion.9532 said:

kitten is this stuff?

Uhm... you let Flurry finish its cast? Or you immediately weapon stow it after procing Megabane Tether and immobilize? Or was it sarcasm? I am confused.You really think that people in current balance will happily wait for your Flurry to finish its cast and eat that super amazing damage with some bleed stacks? Oooof...

you dont even need to stow weapons.

flurry and immob, don't finish the full fanning of sword by weapon swapping, of course you're in GS now right? hundred blades + burst etc etc.

kitten is this stuff?

You'd do the same amount of damage by auto attacking. Throw bolas covers any immobilize needs. The long duration immobilize might be useful in Queensdale, but after that you're better off on Core Sword to just not use F1.

skill slot vs a f1 skill and you want your warrior to wield sword?

so which is a waste? i could even double endure pain replacing that bolas.

lelz.

@Lighter.5631 said:something like, stab some one and hold them inplace(like float or stun + immob) and second phase, pull out for a burst damage+bleed torment cripple vulnerability and launch them backwards

So something like this:

Fatal Thrust: Impale your target stunning them for 1s (damage scales by 1.0 power) then kick them away (knockback 200) while pulling out your sword (1.0 power scaling) and deal 4/8/12 stacks of bleed for 12s, 2/4/6 stacks of torment for 8s, immobilize for 2/4/6s based on amount of adrenaline spent? Initial hit should be a 1/2s animation with the kick hitting another 1/2s after that for a 1s total cast time.

You can use Sundering Burst for vulnerability, so I so not foresee them even thinking of adding that in. Ditto for Cripple with Leg Specialist being available. But I think the above would be nice and fun. Someone could stunbreak and dodge away for counterplay, but if they do not do it quickly enough or if you have quickness (say from OH axe) they may still get hit with the second part.

I put the immob on the second part, seemed more fitting there, but I am ambivalent on that.

flurry was fine in the shake it off removes 1 condition era lol

@Lighter.5631 said:something like, stab some one and hold them inplace(like float or stun + immob) and second phase, pull out for a burst damage+bleed torment cripple vulnerability and launch them backwards

So something like this:

Fatal Thrust: Impale your target stunning them for 1s (damage scales by 1.0 power) then kick them away (knockback 200) while pulling out your sword (1.0 power scaling) and deal 4/8/12 stacks of bleed for 12s, 2/4/6 stacks of torment for 8s, immobilize for 2/4/6s based on amount of adrenaline spent? Initial hit should be a 1/2s animation with the kick hitting another 1/2s after that for a 1s total cast time.

You can use Sundering Burst for vulnerability, so I so not foresee them even thinking of adding that in. Ditto for Cripple with Leg Specialist being available. But I think the above would be nice and fun. Someone could stunbreak and dodge away for counterplay, but if they do not do it quickly enough or if you have quickness (say from OH axe) they may still get hit with the second part.

I put the immob on the second part, seemed more fitting there, but I am ambivalent on that.

immo wouldnt make sense phase 2, since you release enemy from your binding blade why would there be immo

@Lighter.5631 said:flurry was fine in the shake it off removes 1 condition era lol

So something like this:

immo wouldnt make sense phase 2, since you release enemy from your binding blade why would there be immo

I was thinking it would be better to land the immob in the second phase so that once they are knocked back they are stuck in place (barring condi cleanse) so that you can close the gap with savage leap, but it doesn't really matter where it happens. I like this idea though. Very duelist like attack.

kitten is this stuff?

With the amount of stunbreaks the game has, its completely useless, unless you land 4 consecutive stuns on target so you make sure you could use flurry. xDAnd i am not even speaking here about stuns, because your could be stunned when casting flurry.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:The skill seems like a strait up skill for pve only as no player will ever eat the whole skill In pvp unless they're afk. I'm surprised anet hasn't changed how the skill functions in pvp, even the anet balance team cant be so clueless to not see that lol but maybe I'm mistaken.

They are choosing the least resistance way of doing the balance.If some weapon skills are bad, then they dont care because they want classes to use only 1 type of weapon with the rest being noob trap. You cant say if one class is useless, because there is always an option to play, but at the same time it completely kills diversity that you would expect from a game that came straight out from GW1 had in its glory days and its a shame for the guild wars franchise.This is inherently bad and i cannot understand it without assuming anet have super lazy employees who are there just to clock in and out. The passion died in ANet head quaters.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Fatal Thrust: Impale your target stunning them for 1s (damage scales by 1.0 power) then kick them away (knockback 200) while pulling out your sword (1.0 power scaling) and deal 4/8/12 stacks of bleed for 12s, 2/4/6 stacks of torment for 8s, immobilize for 2/4/6s based on amount of adrenaline spent? Initial hit should be a 1/2s animation with the kick hitting another 1/2s after that for a 1s total cast time.

I can imagine that sweet animation, I would love something like this. Savage leap would be also more usable to combo with this skill and get reliable hit.