What classes do you main and why?

Scared.7195

Hello all,So I've always wondered why some classes are played more than others and why there are even niche classes in the first place. Being in a match and seeing someone with a Core Spec, or a tempest (for example) really surprises me sometimes as they are regarded as less than optimal. So what are the builds that you like to play and why?

Top 5 reasons why people main the classes/builds that they main:

1. It's the flavor of the month next OP thing.
  2. Hardcore class loyalist, still plays a class when it's not even meta viable, because loves the way it feels.
  3. Pigeonholed into that class because can't or doesn't want to learn a new class.
  4. Looking for something new & fun.
  5. Doesn't understand game, doesn't listen to anyone, doesn't care if the Class/Build sucks, Here for pvp wings.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Top 5 reasons why people main the classes/builds that they main:

2. Hardcore class loyalist, still plays a class when it's not even meta viable, because loves the way it feels.
  3. Pigeonholed into that class because can't or doesn't want to learn a new class.
  5. Doesn't understand game, doesn't listen to anyone, doesn't care if the Class/Build sucks, Here for pvp wings.

Warrior

2, 3, 5 B)

@"Scared.7195" said:Hello all,So I've always wondered why some classes are played more than others and why there are even niche classes in the first place. Being in a match and seeing someone with a Core Spec, or a tempest (for example) really surprises me sometimes as they are regarded as less than optimal. So what are the builds that you like to play and why?

To answer your first question, it has to do with multiple factors:

• Class design -- Smooth gameplay naturally leads to classes being played more. For example, guardian has relatively flowing gameplay, whereas engineer gameplay is really janky.
  • Complexity -- Complex classes naturally get played the least. These would be Rev, Engi, and Mesmer/Ele
  • Effectiveness -- More of a "flavor of the month" thing. Some classes tend to be more in vogue than others. Guardian has never been bad, for example, whereas ele has seen a lot of ups and downs.

And for the class I main -- engineer. More of a diehard, been playing it since launch as my main. I just get too bored with other classes. I do branch out occasionally, such as guardian, necro, ranger, thief, or warrior if the mood strikes me. I can't tolerate playing mesmer for some reason.

Every class, but mostly 1 build per class.

1) Keeps the game fresh.2) Lets you learn how enemy builds play so you can counter them effectively.3) Performing as well as possible requires jumping on the bandwagon.

Also ego.

Ever see someone and think: "That spec is so brain dead I could hit (rank) on it it in (x) games."?

@Scared.7195 said:they are regarded as less than optimal.

Exactly. Regarded as. That's not always the truth though.People regard Tempest as bad but in the right hands it's a very good support. It's surely no Firebrand, it lacks that high level of boon support but their pure healing numbers are comparable, and it is actually better than Firebrand at condition management. Most notably it lacks Stability but hey, atleast you're not Scourge bait.

At low levels, I would actually like people to play more Tempest since its cd management is a lot simpler than Firebrands. Spamming cd's and mismanaging your skills is a lot more forgiving of mistakes for Tempest than for Firebrand. For example, using F2 too early on Fb can really punish you as it's a long cd to blow off early, and then you're locked out of your most important tome for a long while. Tempest skills on the other hand have way shorter cds, and blowing skills early isn't as bad as you regain them much faster than Fb does.

I tend to play tempest for pve and Mesmer for pve some necro too because I love reaper theme and tempest theme for pve.

I enjoy being able to be throwing defensive and offensive buffs I enjoy not being a punching bag which is why in pvp I play thief.

I dislike being forced to be with a bodyguard at all times, which is why I can-t stand necro in pvp. Being forced to be guarded by a firebrand to survive because your sustain and mobility is trash? no thanks.

@Scared.7195 said:So what are the builds that you like to play and why?

I tend to be supportive type player, keeping my teammates up matters me more than getting enemies down. But at the same time I understand that eliminating the threads is also a way to keep my teammates alive. So, for (PuG) sPvP I mostly seek some sort of hybrid builds. I used to play guard and druid before PoF, and afterwards mostly either FB or Scourge.

I am definitely not a hard core class loyalist. Whatever works is fine to me. Also, just like mentioned in this thread, I play other (all) classes, too, just trying to improve my knowledge about their potential.

@Axl.8924 said:I dislike being forced to be with a bodyguard at all times, which is why I can-t stand necro in pvp. Being forced to be guarded by a firebrand to survive because your sustain and mobility is trash? no thanks.

Yeah, it is definitely annoying :D But I accept certain trade-offs in specializations within group content.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Top 5 reasons why people main the classes/builds that they main:

Thief, Warrior: 2.

Everything else is 4, and for research. Hopefully with time all of those move to 2.

Warrior, Engineer and former top Ele.

I prefer an in-your-face brawler class, and those fit it for me. I don't like having "pets" so that naturally makes ranger and mesmer a no-go for me. Stealth annoys me (don't really use it on engineer) so there goes thief for the most part, although I mained it for a time when daredevil came out. Rev can be fun, but I don't like all my skills being chosen for me, so I only play it off and on. I do play guardian every so often, but the cooldowns are bleh, and burn guard is just cheese.

I still could be a good ele, but I protest the class and Anet's lack of knowledge of how to balance it.

I like playing renegade, because I normally play support or healer roles in every game I play and renegade has a lot of team support even though it’s really weak to cc.

I wish shortbow and the Kalla summons would get reworked to be better outside of just pve, but I really like the spec so I play it anyway.

PvE wise mesmer, but PvP wise whatever I can get my hands on full glass power with. FA/Lightning rod weaver/tempest, power mirage/chrono, zerker reaper, and some odd builds of thief/warrior/engi.

As much as people say GW2 is a fast paced MMORPG, most meta bruiser builds are stale and boring to me. I find more enjoyment playing glass builds that end fights quickly one way or the other, than winning with a meta bruiser build.

I main an engineer - and still playing core game only without expansions. I played from release until end of 2013. Then break and returned July 2019 to the game. I think I have about 2000+ hours on engineer already ... having chars an all other core classes but only leveled them to level 80 doing about 50 percent world completion while doing the personal story. (Some still in progress.)

As for thief - which I like least: I read from others that didn't like it as well some similar reasons: Harder to learn cause you really need to master it to play it somehow that it feels smooth/playable. Where for example warrior with undeleveled gear and no player skill at least for me it felt still easy spamming greatsword skill 2 and using movement skills of the sword. Also healing signet regenerating health.

Engineer has most stuff I like: Lots of CC (love rifle + gadgets) and survivability (AED or the movement skills from rifle and gadgets + I use not fully berserker but some toughness on gear). Can really play a lot of different styles. Even though I don't play the professionel dps maxing builds. Had a hard time at the beginning though. While leveling (constantly having outdated gear and non exotics) this class also felt slow at killing PvE mobs back then in 2012/13. Then again I also had still the worst of the worst stuff ... trying to play around with turrets and not even trying the kits. Grenade kit was very recommended. But for a noob like me bomb kit ... I just like the Big ol Bomb and you can just move and place bombs (enemies following you run into them). Grenade kit always requires aiming as well. Took me some time to find me "own style". I often switch 1 or 2 skills (heal/utility) when needed. Traits only for stuff like gauntlet where it required more optimizing.

Edit: Oh sorry I just noticed this ist the PvP sub forums not the general discussion. (Just clicked somewhere on the main forums page and only looked at the thread titles.) As for PvP I only really played it back then releas until end of 2013. And only with engineer since PvP requires a lot more learning of the class. Harder to get into other classes when I also do PvE and not spending that many time in PvP. Back then as rifle berserker knockback/gadget CC noob it was still fun and possible to play. Nowadays with core without expansions I won't even try anymore. Maybe once I get expansions trying something more bunkerish since this seems the way to go nowadays. (CC as noob :D - with all the stability to counter and only the more skilled players in PvP left probably not even worth a try.)