Lightbearer: Too Many “Cute” Things

Man people really will complain about the smallest things, Guild Wars has always had a really diverse setting and anyone who thinks stuff like this is somehow immersion breaking has their head in the sand. It's like they won't rest until the setting is reduced to bland Tolkienesque high fantasy. Personally I prefer the dungeon punk elements, and dig the cute mount designs. Difference is I'm not complaining when something dark and edgy that isn't to my taste is added.

Edit: I just wish I could afford the skin.

@Mortifera.6138 said:Did we seriously need another “cute thing”? We have way too many already, and the skin doesn’t look like it has anything to do with a raptor. Suggestion: stop putting so many overly “cute” things in the game. We have quaggans. That should be enough. Instead we now get every mount trying to be cute, and the recent Lighbearer one went overboard, not even being subtle about it

Edit: I forgot that bunny has the Lightbearer’s same aesthetic. Why give it to raptor? If you’re going to move in the direction of every mount having every aesthetic, why not give us 1 mount that does everything? Oh, right: $$$.

I like cute things, the more the better and there are never enough. I bought most of them, though not all.

I hate big, ugly looking armours and mount skins. I never bought any.

So, don't like cuteness? Don't buy. Easy right?

@yann.1946 said:

@yann.1946 said:I'm really bot sure if this post is saterical or not

Why would it be "satirical"? Many people think that way, including myself. So sick of cat ears and other "cutesy stuff" in this game. Bleh. It's worse than any of the sci-fi inspired stuff that kills immersion.

Because,

Being cute doesn't kill immersion. In the sense that cute things are things in the real world. People wear catears in the real world to for example. So can you explain what about bering cute kills immersion?

An argument about Sci fi could be made, but then the Asura where part of the aesthetic from the beginning.

But GW2 isn't a real world, is it? The comparison really makes no sense.

You can be immersed in a specific world setting that the game offers. F.e. GW, which's aesthetics at launch used to be of fantasy, medieval, sci-fi and mythological. Then came the trend of the Eastern market cosmetics which brought a lot of sparkly and shiny skins (that could also be great without any effects at all). We started to get infusions and skins like Fox Ears or weapons close to a Legendary designs for Gems.Now, was it always this way? - No.The direction of the aesthetics is being mixed (badly in my opinion) too much. There is no solution at this point, but just make all models standard i options, and you still see the infusion's effects.

An example:You buy a product because it appeals to you. It changes so that you no longer experience things you liked about this product, so you become frustrated. GW2 was bound to change, it's an MMO. But the aesthetics is a very major and important part of it.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

Why would it be "satirical"? Many people think that way, including myself. So sick of cat ears and other "cutesy stuff" in this game. Bleh. It's worse than any of the sci-fi inspired stuff that kills immersion.

Because,

Being cute doesn't kill immersion. In the sense that cute things are things in the real world. People wear catears in the real world to for example. So can you explain what about bering cute kills immersion?

An argument about Sci fi could be made, but then the Asura where part of the aesthetic from the beginning.

Give up, most people have no idea about world building. You're talking to a wall.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

Because,

You can be immersed in a specific world setting that the game offers. F.e. GW, which's aesthetics at launch used to be of fantasy, medieval, sci-fi and mythological. Then came the trend of the Eastern market cosmetics which brought a lot of sparkly and shiny skins (that could also be great without any effects at all). We started to get infusions and skins like Fox Ears or weapons close to a Legendary designs for Gems.Now, was it always this way? - No.The direction of the aesthetics is being mixed (badly in my opinion) too much. There is no solution at this point, but just make all models standard i options, and you still see the infusion's effects.

An example:You buy a product because it appeals to you. It changes so that you no longer experience things you liked about this product, so you become frustrated. GW2 was bound to change, it's an MMO. But the aesthetics is a very major and important part of it.

While I agree to some degree about infusions etc.

My point is that complaining that something is cute and as such breaks the mold in gw2 is silly. As

A) the quaggan where a thing from the beginning.

B) Their are lots of thing which are cute but git the theme of gw2 well. The bunny, moas etc.

now we can argue about why some cute things break immersion. But than the complains should be about what specific thing in the aesthetic breaks immersion.

Not use an umbrella term

Every day I grow more bored of this pre millennial masculinity front. Are things just never allowed to be cute and appealing? Is there some kind of fear of cute things affecting the way you play? I'm almost certain this is the same attitude of "female charr shouldn't wear feminine clothing" and "the SAB weapons break muh immersion".

I don't believe there's such a thing as "too many cute things". I just think people are trying way too hard to be manly men.

Sc-fi <> Asuran magi-tech

Look at what the Asura and Inquest originally looked like in GW2, then look at the silly sci-fi suits (outfits) and also at sci-fi weapon skins like the Dominator set. :s Totally breaks the design of the game.

And so do imperial uniforms from the 19th century and other design decisions that were implemented and don't fit into the game's design.

@Mortifera.6138 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:I feel ya. Gw2 dying, cause who in their right minds would buy cute stuff?

Don’t get me started on the mount skin prices.
Everyone
has mount skins, so you have to shell out 80% of the expansion price just to feel like you belong.

No, you don't have to. If it's THAT easy to pressure you into a cosmetic purchase, no wonder they keep pushing them out for 2k gems lmao. And then you're the one that complains :D

And that skin is actually good btw.

• Confused 1

@"Thundabolt.8541" said:Every day I grow more bored of this pre millennial masculinity front. Are things just never allowed to be cute and appealing? Is there some kind of fear of cute things affecting the way you play? I'm almost certain this is the same attitude of "female charr shouldn't wear feminine clothing" and "the SAB weapons break muh immersion".I don't believe there's such a thing as "too many cute things". I just think people are trying way too hard to be manly men.

Imagine trying this hard to be anti-cool and anti-badass, by writing off legit concerns as a front. I'm actually astounded that you didn't attach the typical post-millenial buzzword 'toxic' to that.

I tend to agree. All of the overblown, overly cute, cosmetic options in game do have an impact on my perception of the game world and my character's place in it, even if I do not buy them.

But they fund the aspects of the game I do like so, meh.

It does mean that I have never connected with the world of GW2 as well as I have with other games, including gw1, in the past. GW2 is Teen Titans Go.

I wonder how ANet is going to monetize LWS5.If the cute shiny cosmetics are the way to go, then that's it.

I actually Hope they don't make it F2P for PoF owners. This game turns into mobile MMO really. In open world, you could easily pop up an autopilot.

The cosmetics don't help at all. I don't believe that this is a sustainable approach.

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:I thought I was the only one who felt this way, one of the guilds I was in basically laughed me off and told me I was weird for wanting the stuff I do. ( I want like viking werebeasts that the norn WERE and I want better cosmetic options with bones, fur and hide with tons of cool celtic/nordic themes. Then they tell me "Ewww, f that why would anyone want that? I want more naruto, maybe a jacket like the hokage.) And I just legit cant.

I could see them doing this kitten too, the game was once a dark fantasy almost akin to warhammer. And now its high fantasy with cute little tropes and anime references; They gut a lot of the cool races and won't let anyone be cool in this world. We get what to slay gods? Lame. We don't explore the dragons or their reality warping or even their origin and we don't get dark plots with everything being explained away via deus ex. I want to end the foe-fire threat, I want to go into the mists and explore melandru's realm and go to places unseen. Hell Id love to go back to the realm of torment, see where abbadon fell and learn more about the world itself and the realms between this and the next. I don't feel like the target audience infact I Feel like the game actively does stuff to push me out, like they are trying to get people like me who loved their dark fantasy world in guild wars 1 to just leave so they can make more hello-kitty anime world.

I miss what this games world was, and I almost loathe what its become. The last living world season did ALOT for me and made me happy with how dark it was; But I don't trust it to continue to go more toward dark fantasy. Mainly because of A-net, I have no faith or trust and this announcement on the 30th is kind of where I might draw the line. I'm so worried that the announcement will be some kitten hello-kitty stuff, and that all the things I want to have happen won't happen and that scares the hell out of me because I WANT to enjoy this game. But as of now I log in to character select and I kind of just log back off because I have no motivation and no hope for the future... I want them to remember their roots... and go back to the dark. Make the cute the exception, the rare glimmer of light that can make us feel at ease... not the other way around because when all the zones are beautiful alight with life and light? Then nothing can really capture your awe. Those light areas in dark games are always the ones that captivate people the most... because they are like a beacon of hope in the darkest of places. Right now its almost the exact opposite. (Guild wars 2 feels like Age of sigmar, which makes Eye of the north the end times. They ended the good and came up with this... high fantasy shenanigans.)

took words out of my mouth.

The most disastrous effect can be seen in the WvW, it looks more like a carnival parade than a fight between "soldiers hordes".

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@"Thundabolt.8541" said:Every day I grow more bored of this pre millennial masculinity front. Are things just never allowed to be cute and appealing? Is there some kind of fear of cute things affecting the way you play? I'm almost certain this is the same attitude of "female charr shouldn't wear feminine clothing" and "the SAB weapons break muh immersion".I don't believe there's such a thing as "too many cute things". I just think people are trying way too hard to be manly men.

Imagine trying this hard to be anti-cool and anti-kitten, by writing off legit concerns as a front. I'm actually astounded that you didn't attach the typical post-millenial buzzword 'toxic' to that.

Imagine trying so hard to be cool that you can't do it if there's cute things in the vicinity.

I got the skin in a chest drop. Which was SUPER LUCKY because I was wanting to buy it but I’m always on the fence about mount skins since I’m still trying to master other things in the game and I only have raptor and warclaw unlocked so far, but I really like it! His ears are ADORABLE.