I think i figured out the build for open world pve and maybe fractals

Axl.8924

Power chrono?I think power chrono has enough self defense to not use chaos traitline. Your defense is in weapon skills (2 on sword is evade, 4 on off-hand sword is block+counter attack or just CC) and utility skills (you have feedback, Phantasmal Defender for strong CC, teleports, stealth, boon strip, condi cleanse, blocks, break stuns... everything you need), so it's better to focus on boosting your damage. Illusions or domination traits. Don't forget about clones — they takes agro from you. Especialy if you play ranged.I personally prefer domiation/dueling build, because I play mainly ranged with GS.

Chaos is good for condi mesmers. Chaos storm (dropped on heal use) is powerful skill with CC (because it dazes, and there is CI trait).

As others said chrono has enough defensive things without going Chaos, even without going Inspiration(as the current OW Chrono does). The only case I see using chaos is maybe if you want to have even more defense with the dmg reduc/illusion trait, but in open world you kill things faster than being able to stack up all those illusions. If you are going agains champions and such you still need damage so losing the Dueling is just too much of a DPS loss compared to what you get in exchange from Chaos. For fractals power chrono is not really good because you are going for adds and chrono(the DPS variant and the whole mechanic of the class) is focused on spawning phantasms(what have CD) so after 1-2 trash mob clearing you will have everything on CD in bad cases even your CS and you will not be able to do normal DPS rota on the main bosses. If you are thinking about going to low T2-3 fractals where people play all kinds of builds then yes, I guess you can use Chaos there to protect yourself because usually you dont have a healer but the mobs hit hard, but then you will have no DPS, so to sum it up, You either take chaos for self defense and you will have way less DPS, or you take Duel/Illu for DPS and let the healers protect you, the good thing about this game(i guess maybe this is the last thing thats good looking at the way things are going on right now...) is that you can modify your build depending on the situation for example you go to T3 fractals:No healer at all and everyone is doing bad damage so you need to keep yourself alive for a long period: Take Chaos/Insp with Sw/Sw/F or take Illu/Insp with Sw/(Sw)F/ShieldYou have a healer but its doing a bad job: Take Illu/Insp with shield or if its really bad take Insp/Chaos with sw/sw/f (if you die even like that, quit and search for another group)You have a healer and it can keep people alive but you have no chrono to give quickness: Duel/Illu sw/sw/fAnd so on... I think you can craft a build from these for most of the scenarios in fractals(in T4 you usually have a capable healer so go full DPS)

@Nepster.4275 said:As others said chrono has enough defensive things without going Chaos, even without going Inspiration(as the current OW Chrono does). The only case I see using chaos is maybe if you want to have even more defense with the dmg reduc/illusion trait, but in open world you kill things faster than being able to stack up all those illusions. If you are going agains champions and such you still need damage so losing the Dueling is just too much of a DPS loss compared to what you get in exchange from Chaos. For fractals power chrono is not really good because you are going for adds and chrono(the DPS variant and the whole mechanic of the class) is focused on spawning phantasms(what have CD) so after 1-2 trash mob clearing you will have everything on CD in bad cases even your CS and you will not be able to do normal DPS rota on the main bosses. If you are thinking about going to low T2-3 fractals where people play all kinds of builds then yes, I guess you can use Chaos there to protect yourself because usually you dont have a healer but the mobs hit hard, but then you will have no DPS, so to sum it up, You either take chaos for self defense and you will have way less DPS, or you take Duel/Illu for DPS and let the healers protect you, the good thing about this game(i guess maybe this is the last thing thats good looking at the way things are going on right now...) is that you can modify your build depending on the situation for example you go to T3 fractals:No healer at all and everyone is doing bad damage so you need to keep yourself alive for a long period: Take Chaos/Insp with Sw/Sw/F or take Illu/Insp with Sw/(Sw)F/ShieldYou have a healer but its doing a bad job: Take Illu/Insp with shield or if its really bad take Insp/Chaos with sw/sw/f (if you die even like that, quit and search for another group)You have a healer and it can keep people alive but you have no chrono to give quickness: Duel/Illu sw/sw/fAnd so on... I think you can craft a build from these for most of the scenarios in fractals(in T4 you usually have a capable healer so go full DPS)

I feel like mesmer in general doesnt have a good fractal build anymore. Its usually burst and move on, so condi is out of the question from the start.meaning power? well lack of good aoe and nature of phantasm means no power burst too, buff? nope firebrigade>chrono. Im gonna stick to my condi mirage, its not the best but I find it fun, I wont top the charts for dps due to nature of condi used for aoe ( gl killing anything if burning from torch takes almost 20s to tick... everything dies way before that ) but I find it fun and actually good for bosses, i can pull off consistnelty around 16k dps ( still missing couple ascneded pieces, no food or fractal pot ) so i think its alright.and due to nature of mirage, with smart play you can sustain yourself without haler, can switch self deception for regen trait and be fine without a support for the most part.

@Axl.8924 said:So is Mesmer overall useless for fractals then? since you talked about chronomancer not being very useful. Im merely experimenting btw to learn what each line of the builds does I am still very inexperienced with Mesmer.

Mesmer is not useless just other classes are better.Mesmer doesnt do well in bursting so other classes do better in trash clear.and firebrand + renegade are better supports then chrono.chrono is still good but there is better option.

You asked something about this build (pchrono) roughly a year ago. Apart from a history of just random nerfs (removal of SoE CS interaction and ability to ‘dryshatter’/0 clone shatter, etc.), it’s practically the same thing from then, but noticeably weaker.

Without an external source of slow to abuse Danger Time and now Split Second, chronos are not ideal for fractals, but still have a place in pug groups or can be taken for mostly insignificant skips.

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:You asked something about this build (pchrono) roughly a year ago. Apart from a history of just random nerfs (removal of SoE CS interaction and ability to ‘dryshatter’/0 clone shatter, etc.), it’s practically the same thing from then, but noticeably weaker.

Without an external source of slow to abuse Danger Time and now Split Second, chronos are not ideal for fractals, but still have a place in pug groups or can be taken for mostly insignificant skips.

Thing is a year ago build worked differently now with the nerfs its a bit different.

Im going to play around some more with the build.

@Axl.8924 said:

@Noodle Ant.1605 said:You asked something about this build (pchrono) roughly a year ago. Apart from a history of just random nerfs (removal of SoE CS interaction and ability to ‘dryshatter’/0 clone shatter, etc.), it’s practically the same thing from then, but noticeably weaker.

Thing is a year ago build worked differently now with the nerfs its a bit different.

Im going to play around some more with the build.

Unless you’re being sarcastic, I can assure you that no significantly game-breaking changes have been made since then, apart from small combat nuances and the dmg output that the build now spits out.

You already know the build from last year.

Then why would you try and replace an entire traitline? The traits are still identical. The only traits that can change are Danger Time vs Improved Alacrity (and now Illusory Reversion as another contending option), but the DT/non DT distinction had already existed before the time you asked.

The build takes on slightly more assassin gear, though this only really matters if you’re optimising.

The SoE CS interaction change means you need to re-learn another variant of the CS combo, but you only use this on bosses and not much in general open world anyway.

Shattering at >3 clones is now much less efficient, meaning that you’d ideally only want to shatter @ 3 clones, which was mostly the case beforehand.

0 clone Diversion and Distortion were honestly just panic buttons. Losing them just means you can’t go Leeroy like before and expect to survive.

The trash mob deletion combo in open world is still 1 phantasm + blurred frenzy/mirror blade + a few AA’s now, since chrono 1 clone F1 has been shafted. The ‘spamtasm’ approach is still used for vets and higher. The only situation where you’d tack on more defense by making a drastic move such as taking Chaos is for soloing champs or HoT HPs, which then makes your build personalised to your preferences rather than the ‘build for openworld and maybe fracs’.