Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world

Give the players the option to attack or being attacked in the open world. Without this option activated the players can stay neutral and not being able to attack or get attacked in open world. This option will give more liveliness to the game... I mean in WoW works, so why not here. By putting the tick ON you are agreeing that you wont mind being attacked by any kind of player of any kind of lvl, class, build etc. With a simple tick in the character select menu you can decide which character can be aggressive and which normal/neutral.Yes, we have WvW and PvP, but those are zones that are just for fighting players and nothing more... the same old battlegrounds with no element of surprise where you can't go lvl up, kill some champion, world boss and being ganged at any point.We observed this kind of implementation in the game where from neutral you go attackable in the small arena in the PvP lobby, so we know the mechanic is there but used on a very small scale.Just think about the possibilities, dueling, GvG, bounty hunting players and many more on all kinds of terrain. Making creative combat videos with cool surroundings, using proper arenas and getting huge crowds to watch community driven tournaments while being save and bidding for the winner. The possibilities are limitless and in my opinion the devs can implement this in the game quite easy... I mean look what they've done with the stats change menu, it's f***ing gorgeous! One simple click on the character swap menu making you being able to fight with other players who clicked the same option and the open world, this game will never be the same again!

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the middle ground between PvE and PvP/WvW ? The PvE is too sterile while PvP/WvW is too brutal. Most PvE players are afraid to enter PvP because of points and competition, and failing the team, and for WvW it's just train with the zerg or get trained by the other zergs and you are there for the pure reason to kill or get killed. PvP in the open world would me more like....I'm doing PvE stuff but can do PvP stuff at any moment while at it. I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular. Players like to experience PvE and PvP in the same time, there is a moment of surprise.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular.

Last I checked, it was a few years ago, open PvP servers in WoW aren't nearly as popular as no PvP servers in WoW. In fact when I checked a lot of the PvP servers had major population issues. I don't think enough people enjoy open world PvP in mmorpgs anymore. And there are korean games that fill that need well.

Anyone know why there's been so many PvP in PvE topics recently? We used to get one every few months at most, then for the last few weeks it seems like we've had a new one every other day.*

Anet actually answered this a while ago: the way the game is designed there is no simple way to flag someone as an enemy to certain players but friendly to others, it's set up to be one or the other. And since they've already got WvW, PvP, custom PvP arenas and guild arenas they feel there's already enough options for fighting other players that it wouldn't justify the time and effort required (meaning the people doing it can't do other stuff with that time and so other features will be delayed or cancelled) plus the risk of annoying people who have absolutely no interest in PvP and are not going to suddenly decide they like it because it's dropped on top of them.

And yes, a lot of people will want to make sure this doesn't interfere with playing PvE - which doesn't just means the system defaults to off and you have to turn it on before you can be killed. It also means preventing people from "duelling" on top of crafting stations, banks and other places with high player activity where the light show would be extremely annoying for everyone else around. Maybe if it was restricted to a few designated spaces (like the existing fighting pits used in the personal story) it would be ok. But then why not just use a PvP arena?

*Note for @Illconceived Was Na.9781 no I haven't actually counted, so yes this is probably subject to confirmation bias. ;)

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular.

Last I checked, it was a few years ago, open PvP servers in WoW aren't nearly as popular as no PvP servers in WoW. In fact when I checked a lot of the PvP servers had major population issues. I don't think enough people enjoy open world PvP in mmorpgs anymore. And there are korean games that fill that need well.

Then why WoW Classic is a thing now? As far as I remember WoW's servers at start were open PvP full mode on. Also I'm not saying to have the one or the other... I'm saying to have both in the same time coexisting.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Where's the middle ground between PvE and PvP/WvW ? The PvE is too sterile while PvP/WvW is too brutal. Most PvE players are afraid to enter PvP because of points and competition, and failing the team, and for WvW it's just train with the zerg or get trained by the other zergs and you are there for the pure reason to kill or get killed. PvP in the open world would me more like....I'm doing PvE stuff but can do PvP stuff at any moment while at it. I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular. Players like to experience PvE and PvP in the same time, there is a moment of surprise.

This is NOT World of Warcraft. The people who enjoy Guild Wars 2 PvE do so precisely for its cooperative nature. The lack of open world PvP in this game is not a bug or an oversight. It's a feature. One that made many people choose Guild Wars 2 instead of World of Warcraft.Also, many people advocating for open world PvP try to make their proposal more appealing by saying that it would of course be only optional, and so it would not hurt those who just want to PvE. However, i feel like you are forgetting something: many level 80 maps have map wide meta events that require coordination in order to be successful. If half the map player population is busy ganking each other instead of helping take down the boss, the metas are going to fail, and that would surely hurt the PvE experience.

@Sir Alric.5078 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Where's the middle ground between PvE and PvP/WvW ? The PvE is too sterile while PvP/WvW is too brutal. Most PvE players are afraid to enter PvP because of points and competition, and failing the team, and for WvW it's just train with the zerg or get trained by the other zergs and you are there for the pure reason to kill or get killed. PvP in the open world would me more like....I'm doing PvE stuff but can do PvP stuff at any moment while at it. I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular. Players like to experience PvE and PvP in the same time, there is a moment of surprise.

This is NOT World of Warcraft. The people who enjoy Guild Wars 2 PvE do so precisely for its cooperative nature. The lack of open world PvP in this game is not a bug or an oversight. It's a feature. One that made many people choose Guild Wars 2 instead of World of Warcraft.Also, many people advocating for open world PvP try to make their proposal more appealing by saying that it would of course be only optional, and so it would not hurt those who just want to PvE. However, i feel like you are forgetting something: many level 80 maps have map wide meta events that require coordination in order to be successful. If half the map player population is busy ganking each other instead of helping take down the boss, the metas will fail, and that will surely hurt the PvE experience.

No idea why you mention the metas. If a player doesn't want to interact with the meta it doesn't matter if he's fighting a random choya or hydra or another player or whatever. The idea of the topic is to give more options to the game for all kinds of players, so the game looks more appealing to the people.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Then why WoW Classic is a thing now? As far as I remember WoW's servers at start were open PvP full mode on. Also I'm not saying to have the one or the other... I'm saying to have both in the same time coexisting.

Was it? Are you sure WoW Classic will only be open PvP? If that's the case I don't see it surviving long. There is a reason why even Blizzard decided against having open PvP and split them up. Then open PvP servers mostly died. It's why open PvP is no longer needed in games.

@Sigmoid.7082 said:It doesn't really matter how many times this idea gets brought up it doesn't change the fact that it's overall not s great idea and will get shot down time and time again.

Using the search function would show you the results of this discussion as time has gone on.

Not winning the lottery doesn't stop you buying more lottery tickets and hoping to get lucky ... :D

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Sigmoid.7082" said:It doesn't really matter how many times this idea gets brought up it doesn't change the fact that it's overall not s great idea and will get shot down time and time again.

Using the search function would show you the results of this discussion as time has gone on.

Not winning the lottery doesn't stop you buying more lottery tickets and hoping to get lucky ... :D

It's actually a lot closer to asking "are we there yet" over and over when your parents have told you you're not going to Disneyland.

I'm sure it's been stated that with PvP, WvW and guild arenas there isn't much of a case to add it.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

As far as I remember WoW's servers at start were open PvP full mode on.

That's not correct: I started playing on a PvE server from the very beginning. (There were also more PvE servers than PvP servers).

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

You remember incorrectly. WoW had PvE and PvP servers from the start and PvE server outnumber PvP. Open World PvP also died many many years ago in WoW. It's not a feature most players enjoy.

WoW Classic is offering PvE and PvP servers, similar to how the servers were setup at launch 15 years ago.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:The idea of the topic is to give more options to the game for all kinds of players, so the game looks more appealing to the people.

It doesn't give more options to the game for all kinds of players. It offers a single option which appeals to that subset of players who likes PK. For those who can't stand PvP of any sort, it's at best a burden and at worst, something that interferes with the cooperative ethos baked into GW2's PvE. It also doesn't offer much to those who are PvP purists.

That said, the game does include an entire festival that appeals to a similarly-narrow focus: SAB. The Super Adventure Box is a 3D platform-style game, using some of the GW2 mechanics. For those who like the parkour of Tyria, it's brilliant. For those who hate tricky vistas, it's a non-starter.

A huge difference, though, between SAB and open world PvP is that SAB is 100% self-contained. If you don't want it, you don't have to enter the box. In contrast, the OP's proposal would create unavoidable changes to any zone in which it was an option. While it could be setup as opt-in only, it will still affect what people see and it will affect how people behave towards each other. People who like PK zones might get a kick out of those differences; PvE-purists won't.

The real deal-breaker was mentioned by @Danikat.8537 above: ANet's already taken a look at this and decided it's not something that interests them any time soon. It requires a lot of prep work, new mechanics, new safeguards, new UI, and potentially changes to the zone(s).

tl;dr it's a suggestion with narrow appeal, high costs, and high risks. ANet's done the math and decided against it.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@Sigmoid.7082 said:It doesn't really matter how many times this idea gets brought up it doesn't change the fact that it's overall not s great idea and will get shot down time and time again.

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

Why people are against something that doesn't affect them? If you don't want to fight with other players in PvE maps then fine - don't do it, but let others have fun this way if they feel like it. Personally I would love to see some kind of duels in PvE, like it was done in 4story for example.

I guess I’ll post ANet’s word about open world PvP and dueling again.

Open world PvP http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TemperHoof/072012/23486_Guild-Wars-2-Redefines-Open-World-PVP“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

Either is unlikely to happen for reasons of cost, Dev time and going against the cooperative philosophy behind PvE in this game.

@"cNd.1096" said:Why people are against something that doesn't affect them? If you don't want to fight with other players in PvE maps then fine - don't do it, but let others have fun this way if they feel like it. Personally I would love to see some kind of duels in PvE, like it was done in 4story for example.

Because it does affect them. It costs resources to develope, it takes up resources to maintain, it takes up bandwidth and space on maps which could go to cooperating players, it might even cause additional work on the forums and for the balance team.

Arenanet have been very clear that they do not intend this type of feature and GW2 PvE is designed around cooperation primarily.