Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Sigmoid.7082" said:It doesn't really matter how many times this idea gets brought up it doesn't change the fact that it's overall not s great idea and will get shot down time and time again.

Using the search function would show you the results of this discussion as time has gone on.

Not winning the lottery doesn't stop you buying more lottery tickets and hoping to get lucky ... :D

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

Doing the same thing is not insane, it's ret***ed. Repeating on the other hand, doesn't have to be taken as "doing the same thing". Repeating doesn't mean you aren't getting better, faster, smarter at it, learning by your mistakes, crafting your own skills little by little. Even repeating a punch you are getting better at punching. Even the raiders practice and repeat their rotation. So you are saying they don't have to expect different result by training? What you and Albert Einstein are talking about is something different. And btw did you just called me insane ?! :open_mouth:

I merely quoted Einstein. You can take from that what you want.

Repetition without any change is doing the same thing over and over. Repetition which yields a change in state, is not doing the same thing over and over since your base state changes, as for example in excercise or memorisation. While the motion might be similar, the base state on which it is performed has changed.

Asking for the same changes over and over, without a change of state or new arguments, fits the quote of Einstein quite nicely.

Both you and I cannot know which one is it because we don't work at Anet, so let us be a bit more open minded and accepting the others opinions and words.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Sigmoid.7082" said:It doesn't really matter how many times this idea gets brought up it doesn't change the fact that it's overall not s great idea and will get shot down time and time again.

Using the search function would show you the results of this discussion as time has gone on.

Not winning the lottery doesn't stop you buying more lottery tickets and hoping to get lucky ... :D

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

Doing the same thing is not insane, it's ret***ed. Repeating on the other hand, doesn't have to be taken as "doing the same thing". Repeating doesn't mean you aren't getting better, faster, smarter at it, learning by your mistakes, crafting your own skills little by little. Even repeating a punch you are getting better at punching. Even the raiders practice and repeat their rotation. So you are saying they don't have to expect different result by training? What you and Albert Einstein are talking about is something different. And btw did you just called me insane ?! :open_mouth:

I merely quoted Einstein. You can take from that what you want.

Repetition without any change is doing the same thing over and over. Repetition which yields a change in state, is not doing the same thing over and over since your base state changes, as for example in excercise or memorisation. While the motion might be similar, the base state on which it is performed has changed.

Asking for the same changes over and over, without a change of state or new arguments, fits the quote of Einstein quite nicely.

Both you and I cannot know which one is it because we don't work at Anet, so let us be a bit more open minded and accepting the others opinions and words.

Actually we can, see what JaFW just posted. I was merely to lazy to look up the quote.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I guess I’ll post ANet’s word about open world PvP and dueling again.

Open world PvP 
“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

Either is unlikely to happen for reasons of cost, Dev time and going against the cooperative philosophy behind PvE in this game.

Thanks for quoting stuff from 2012. Things are changing trough the years, new stuff are implemented in the game in a weekly basis.

@"cNd.1096" said:Why people are against something that doesn't affect them? If you don't want to fight with other players in PvE maps then fine - don't do it, but let others have fun this way if they feel like it. Personally I would love to see some kind of duels in PvE, like it was done in 4story for example.Because it does affect them. If players duell in open world pve, they will produce visual and audio noise for other players in the area, and potentially have an influence on other people's play experience, too, for example when they upscale events and mobs without participating or fill out the population limits on maps that try to go for a map-wide meta event.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"cNd.1096" said:Why people are against something that doesn't affect them? If you don't want to fight with other players in PvE maps then fine - don't do it, but let others have fun this way if they feel like it. Personally I would love to see some kind of duels in PvE, like it was done in 4story for example.

Because it does affect them. It costs resources to develope, it takes up resources to maintain, it takes up bandwidth and space on maps which could go to cooperating players, it might even cause additional work on the forums and for the balance team.

Arenanet have been very clear that they do not intend this type of feature and GW2 PvE is designed around cooperation primarily.

You know, I can say the same things about mounts and many other things - they required time to develop, costed resources and takes up bandwith and my PC efficiency. Does it make it bad? No, because tons of people have fun because of it.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I guess I’ll post ANet’s word about open world PvP and dueling again.

Open world PvP 
“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

Either is unlikely to happen for reasons of cost, Dev time and going against the cooperative philosophy behind PvE in this game.

Thanks for quoting stuff from 2012. Things are changing trough the years, new stuff are implemented in the game in a weekly basis.

Unless you quote or provide arguments to the contrary, the official stance has remained the same ever sicne 2012. Given how the game has moved even more towards PvE content, I'll wait until you come up with some of the things which changed which would in any way support your position. Besides you wanting something ofcorse.

@"cNd.1096" said:

@"cNd.1096" said:Why people are against something that doesn't affect them? If you don't want to fight with other players in PvE maps then fine - don't do it, but let others have fun this way if they feel like it. Personally I would love to see some kind of duels in PvE, like it was done in 4story for example.

Because it does affect them. It costs resources to develope, it takes up resources to maintain, it takes up bandwidth and space on maps which could go to cooperating players, it might even cause additional work on the forums and for the balance team.

Arenanet have been very clear that they do not intend this type of feature and GW2 PvE is designed around cooperation primarily.

You know, I can say the same things about mounts and many other things - they required time to develop, costed resources and takes up bandwith and my PC efficiency. Does it make it bad? No, because tons of people have fun because of it.

You forget:

• are in line with the cooperative and PvE nature of the game
  • are easily monetized

You are grasping at straws man.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"cNd.1096" said:Why people are against something that doesn't affect them? If you don't want to fight with other players in PvE maps then fine - don't do it, but let others have fun this way if they feel like it. Personally I would love to see some kind of duels in PvE, like it was done in 4story for example.Because it does affect them. If players duell in open world pve, they will produce visual and audio noise for other players in the area, and potentially have an influence on other people's play experience, too, for example when they upscale events and mobs without participating or fill out the population limits on maps that try to go for a map-wide meta event.

Anet DO NOT have problem with the visual noises in the game. If that was an issue for them they wouldn't add all those shiny weapons, and armors, and mounts, and gliders, and World Bosses to gather all those shinies on one place.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Anet DO NOT have problem with the visual noises in the game. If that was an issue for them they wouldn't add all those shiny weapons, and armors, and mounts, and gliders, and World Bosses to gather all those shinies on one place.

Two wrongs do not make a right. Also visual noise items do not block slots on a map, neither to they produce server queries which cause lag.

Because it would affect them in a game that requires cooperation to finish the content. Maps require players to "work" properly, players that are actively participating in the content of the map.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

Because it would affect them in a game that requires cooperation to finish the content. Maps require players to "work" properly, players that are actively participating in the content of the map.If that's your worry then let other fight in Lion's Arch, Rata Sum and other capitals.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Where's the middle ground between PvE and PvP/WvW ? The PvE is too sterile while PvP/WvW is too brutal. Most PvE players are afraid to enter PvP because of points and competition, and failing the team, and for WvW it's just train with the zerg or get trained by the other zergs and you are there for the pure reason to kill or get killed. PvP in the open world would me more like....I'm doing PvE stuff but can do PvP stuff at any moment while at it. I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular. Players like to experience PvE and PvP in the same time, there is a moment of surprise.

I thought the I can do pve stuff and I can do pvp stuff at any moment was what wvw is like atleast its like that for me.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Open world PvP 

One quote was in 2018, not 2012. And unless you can point to changes in the game which invalidate those quotes then they still stand and your dismissal without rebuttal means you are unable to counter what ANet has said about your proposal.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Open world PvP 

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

Unless you quote or provide arguments to the contrary, the official stance has remained the same ever sicne 2012. Given how the game has moved even more towards PvE content, I'll wait until you come up with some of the things which changed which would in any way support your position. Besides you wanting something ofcorse.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mounts-What-on-earthQuote from Regina Buenaobra - Content Marketing Lead about the mounts in 2013"...but just because something is depicted in the concept art doesn’t necessarily follow that it will make it into the game.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable."

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Open world PvP 

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

Quote from Regina Buenaobra - Content Marketing Lead"...but just because something is depicted in the concept art doesn’t necessarily follow that it will make it into the game.

Positives:

• Easily monetized.
  • In line with the PvE nature of the game.
  • In line with the mastery system of the game

Negatives

• more visual noise
  • more lag
  • more strain on the servers

Guess which of those apply to your world pvp? Pretty much only the negatives. But you know what, go for it. It's never going to happen. Maybe you'll accept it, maybe you'll give up, maybe even quit the game, I really do not care.

@"cNd.1096" said:My opinion is that fights, duels or anything like that on PvE maps, could be easily implemented in a way where both sides would be satisfied.

Your opinion is not in line with what was officially stated. As far as duelling availability: there is space in private arenas, in the pvp lobby and on the Edge of the Mists map. Seems to me like Arenanet have been going out of their way to provide players with the ability to duel, specifically outside of the pve areas.

@"cNd.1096" said:

Because it would affect them in a game that requires cooperation to finish the content. Maps require players to "work" properly, players that are actively participating in the content of the map.If that's your worry then let other fight in Lion's Arch, Rata Sum and other capitals.

I dont want people fighting when Im trying to access for example crafting stations, bank or the trading post thank you very much.Keep it in guild hall, spvp lobby, spvp arena or wvw were it belongs.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Anet DO NOT have problem with the visual noises in the game. If that was an issue for them they wouldn't add all those shiny weapons, and armors, and mounts, and gliders, and World Bosses to gather all those shinies on one place.I'm not talking about shiny stuff (although I do try to avoid that as much as I can). I'm talking about people bashing each right other on top of me. I've had my share of that in other games, and it's one of the things I really can do without.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Open world PvP 

Quote from Regina Buenaobra - Content Marketing Lead"...but just because something is depicted in the concept art doesn’t necessarily follow that it will make it into the game.

Positives:
  • Easily monetized.

Negatives
  • more visual noise
  • more lag

Guess which of those apply to your world pvp? Pretty much only the negatives. But you know what, go for it. It's never going to happen. Maybe you'll accept it, maybe you'll give up, maybe even quit the game, I really do not care.
  • Easily monetized --> make the option available only if you buy it in the gem store.
  • In line with the PvE nature of the game. --> You don't like it ? Just don't look... walk by with your PvE way of play and let others enjoy it. Maybe you'll stop and observe for a moment and you'll like it.
  • In line with the mastery system of the game - make a whole bunch of masteries, around it. Duel Mastery(others cannot your interrupt your duel), Cavalry Mastery(being able to attack with your mount skill 1 while dismounting)... etc. etc.
  • Visual Noises - just look at the metas, would bosses and bounties they keep on adding them. Even the biggest GvG cannot compare to what is happening there.
  • more lag - just look at the metas, would bosses and bounties they keep on adding them. Even the biggest GvG cannot compare to what is happening there.
  • more strain on the servers - just look at the metas, would bosses and bounties they keep on adding them. Even the biggest GvG cannot compare to what is happening there.

@Linken.6345 said:

@"cNd.1096" said:

I dont want people fighting when Im trying to access for example crafting stations, bank or the trading post thank you very much.Keep it in guild hall, spvp lobby, spvp arena or wvw were it belongs.

Cities like The Grove, Rata Sum, LA etc. can be restricted. They are in a different instance so don't see the problem there.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Open world PvP 

Positives:
  • Easily monetized.

Negatives
  • more visual noise
  • more lag

• Easily monetized --> make the option available only if you buy it in the gem store.

That's a one time purchase. How does this compare to recurring skins?

• In line with the PvE nature of the game. --> You don't like it ? Just don't look... walk by with your PvE way of play and let others enjoy it. Maybe you'll stop and observe for a moment and you'll like it.

The effect on the servers remains. The effect on the map population remains. The required developers resoucres taken from other content remain.

• In line with the mastery system of the game - make a whole bunch of masteries, around it. Duel Mastery(others cannot your interrupt your duel), Cavalry Mastery(being able to attack with your mount skill 1 while dismounting)... etc. etc.

So now players are focred to grind even more masteries if they want to max out, for content they might not even enjoy? Sounds a lot like raid masteries, and those were a huge success. /s

• Visual Noises - just look at the metas, would bosses and bounties they keep on adding them. Even the biggest GvG cannot compare to what is happening there.

Two wrongs do not make a right. Making this problem worse is definately not a solution or even an argument. I agree though, visual noise needs to get tackled and is a major problem by now.

• more lag - just look at the metas, would bosses and bounties they keep on adding them. Even the biggest GvG cannot compare to what is happening there.

See above.

• more strain on the servers - just look at the metas, would bosses and bounties they keep on adding them. Even the biggest GvG cannot compare to what is happening there.

See above.

GvGs are happening off populated maps. Specifically so lag does not become an issue.

You keep assuming that arguing with some of the worst problems currently being present is in any shape or form an argument FOR your idea, when it's the exact opposite. You don't want to make things which are bad even worse. The fact the game is already struggling in certain areas is a reason NOT to put more strain on specifically those things.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Anet DO NOT have problem with the visual noises in the game. If that was an issue for them they wouldn't add all those shiny weapons, and armors, and mounts, and gliders, and World Bosses to gather all those shinies on one place.I'm not talking about shiny stuff (although I do try to avoid that as much as I can). I'm talking about people bashing each right other on top of me. I've had my share of that in other games, and it's one of the things I really can do without.

This is you. Some win, some lose. Anet decides what is best for sustaining and growing the gw2 community.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:You keep assuming that arguing with some of the worst problems currently being present is in any shape or form an argument FOR your idea, when it's the exact opposite. You don't want to make things which are bad even worse. The fact the game is already struggling in certain areas is a reason NOT to put more strain on specifically those things.

So what you are saying is "don't poke it cuz it might feel pain... just let it die on it's own... it's the natural way of life" ?