Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world

@"Westenev.5289" said:People are running around the open world lathered in sparkly oil and armoured diapers. I believe the immersion argument is kind of invalid at this point.

No one said the open world was a peaceful place. There are wildlife, non-playable races and monsters threatening us. But we as player characters are not at war with each other.

As I added above: "I'd rather see them add more exciting exploration tasks into open world maps. This game has a high enough percentage of fight content, it gets boring."

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not buying the, "I just want the challenge and thrill!" thing. Sure, I get that it's part of it, but that was never the primary draw of open world PvP.

In many years of playing games with open world PvP (flagged or default), I very rarely saw a fair fight. Players attacking those 20+ levels down? 2 (or more) on 1? Attacking while the other guy is at 1/4 health from fighting mobs? Attacking while the other guy is ressing in and can't see the screen? Players whining in chat because their player kills got them a notoriety flag and now gankers were after them while they're "...just trying to get XP to work off the penalties."? Oh, yeah, saw all of that in abundance.

Sure, a flag system could alleviate some of that. However, there is a lot of room for a flag system to be done poorly. This might be especially true since the map design would have to be substantially altered to make this happen. I don't believe there is enough demand for this to warrant expending the resources which would be needed, and the real downside of turning those who don't want this type of play away from the game.

If it's really about challenge and thrill, go to WvW and roam. Gank PvE'ers there for dailies or fight small groups or other solo roamers. Challenge and thrill are there to be had. That's what the mode is for. You think of yourselves as a "pro player?" Well, the pro players are there or in sPvP.

It's because all those pro players are leaving the game because everything is the same and Anet doesn't break the rules. Just adding new zone and the work here is done. Breaking the rules and implementing such feature would not only add new feature... it will change the way the game feels, the old will feel new and interesting.

So how is a guild that is trying to control an entire map's population interesting? This is what happens in open world PvP games. Speecific example of this was in the game Age of Conan. Guild A decides that Queensdale is theirs and just keeps killing all other players trying to enter the zone, just for griefing purposes. I would hardly call this new and interesting.

@xenon.3264 said:nobody has time for open world pvp.

year passed. 18 years ago when wow exited we could waste hours now when i play i just want to have fun wthout being ganked by a 12 years old with too much time to troll others.

bring open pvp to gw2 and you'll kill it

Agreed. I am not any good at PvP or WvW which is why I stay out of those arenas. Those play styles are best left where they are, IMO.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:I guess I’ll post ANet’s word about open world PvP and dueling again.

Open world PvP 
“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.

Either is unlikely to happen for reasons of cost, Dev time and going against the cooperative philosophy behind PvE in this game.

Thanks for quoting stuff from 2012. Things are changing trough the years, new stuff are implemented in the game in a weekly basis.

Unless you quote or provide arguments to the contrary, the official stance has remained the same ever sicne 2012. Given how the game has moved even more towards PvE content, I'll wait until you come up with some of the things which changed which would in any way support your position. Besides you wanting something ofcorse.

Ben said that recently as of 2019. Simply put, open world pvp will never happen.

@Zuldari.3940 said:Personally i think its a fun aside thing. It wouldnt affect pve because only people that wanted pvp would turn on their tag. Thats all it really would be is the flip of a switch. Just go to the arena guy in the guild to turn it on or off.

But.... people who want to PvP can simply go to that format and do so. This would be an even easier solution. No need for the devs to create on/off tags or to visit the arena guy (not everyone is in a guild either, especially new players?).

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Zuldari.3940 said:Personally i think its a fun aside thing. It wouldnt affect pve because only people that wanted pvp would turn on their tag. Thats all it really would be is the flip of a switch. Just go to the arena guy in the guild to turn it on or off.

But.... people who want to PvP can simply go to that format and do so. This would be an even easier solution. No need for the devs to create on/off tags or to visit the arena guy (not everyone is in a guild either, especially new players?).

It was ideas, not saying the guy to flag you has to be in the guild hall. Could be an npc in DR. The point is playing open world while flagged can be a fun challenge, much better than a wvw map that you are locked to, in open world its freedom. You can be out in the world riding along mining and another player that is flagged sees you, and the battle is on. You fight them while having to survive the environment around you also. Its a dif way of playing the game, and lots of us find it fun, it dont step on the pve toes because unless you volunteer to turn on your flag you can go about your business.

I played on pve /pvp/ rppvp servers and all of them were a blast, its just a dif way of going about you day in game, some people would rather pvp out in the open world than get locked to a map in one small section of the game

I think pve players think this is going to make them targets...no it wont only turning on a pvp tag will allow you to attack or get attacked by another player.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Where's the middle ground between PvE and PvP/WvW ? The PvE is too sterile while PvP/WvW is too brutal. Most PvE players are afraid to enter PvP because of points and competition, and failing the team, and for WvW it's just train with the zerg or get trained by the other zergs and you are there for the pure reason to kill or get killed. PvP in the open world would me more like....I'm doing PvE stuff but can do PvP stuff at any moment while at it. I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular. Players like to experience PvE and PvP in the same time, there is a moment of surprise.

Not "afraid". Simply different things appeal to different people. Or are you afraid to take on mobs?

No thanks, that's the main reason I drop games like Aion, open world PvP only leaves to drama and idiots looking to grief people, I was so tired of going to a zone just to gather nods and out of nowhere an Idiot just appear out of nowhere to kill me for no reason, screw that. if you want to pvp go play Aion or lineage , have fun being one shotted there.

@"Danikat.8537" said:Anyone know why there's been so many PvP in PvE topics recently? We used to get one every few months at most, then for the last few weeks it seems like we've had a new one every other day.*

Anet actually answered this a while ago: the way the game is designed there is no simple way to flag someone as an enemy to certain players but friendly to others, it's set up to be one or the other. And since they've already got WvW, PvP, custom PvP arenas and guild arenas they feel there's already enough options for fighting other players that it wouldn't justify the time and effort required (meaning the people doing it can't do other stuff with that time and so other features will be delayed or cancelled) plus the risk of annoying people who have absolutely no interest in PvP and are not going to suddenly decide they like it because it's dropped on top of them.

And yes, a lot of people will want to make sure this doesn't interfere with playing PvE - which doesn't just means the system defaults to off and you have to turn it on before you can be killed. It also means preventing people from "duelling" on top of crafting stations, banks and other places with high player activity where the light show would be extremely annoying for everyone else around. Maybe if it was restricted to a few designated spaces (like the existing fighting pits used in the personal story) it would be ok. But then why not just use a PvP arena?

*Note for @Illconceived Was Na.9781 no I haven't actually counted, so yes this is probably subject to confirmation bias. ;)

Another problem: events scale with the number of players around. Say half your players are PVPing, the event does not know that. It can not go by the flag either as you might have the flag on and be concentrating on the event.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@Sigmoid.7082 said:It doesn't really matter how many times this idea gets brought up it doesn't change the fact that it's overall not s great idea and will get shot down time and time again.

Using the search function would show you the results of this discussion as time has gone on.

Not winning the lottery doesn't stop you buying more lottery tickets and hoping to get lucky ... :D

Because hoomans do not know statistics?

@"cNd.1096" said:Why people are against something that doesn't affect them? If you don't want to fight with other players in PvE maps then fine - don't do it, but let others have fun this way if they feel like it. Personally I would love to see some kind of duels in PvE, like it was done in 4story for example.

Because it WOULD affect other people on the map, which has already been explained. It would also divert a large amount of PVE resources, and PVE has a litany of other things more pressing to us TYVM. You have your areas, several in fact, why do you insist you HAVE to have ours?

People dislike getting ganked on their way to their blob in WvW. That is why the it got the mount and now every ganker is whining about in the WvW forum. I can't imagine what will happen with pve with the total meltdown because 100 people wanted to gank people in open world. The only way i can see it happening is having map for that and it is already done in WvW it just doesn't have Pve objectives to draw people to farm it and risk getting killed over it.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:The idea is to not disturb any pve player if he doesn't want to.Sure... So, what exactly is wrong with inviting the player you want to duel to a guild hall arena? Same PvE balance, no outsiders bothered.Already implemented, problem solved, case closed.

For the record: I like sPvP. WvW gets on my nerves easily, though. And in OW the cooperation aspect is really great and sets the game apart from other MMOs.

I mean y'all say it's gonna kill gw2 but the game has already been on a decline. I see the same folks in certain maps, in the same spots. There are barely roamers now, only zergs. You can look at WvW and you'll see they are practically begging for new content. PvP folks are leaving because Anet is not respecting their own system and letting people abuse what monsters they created to please YOU PVE folks.

I am not agreeing with the OP to force fights everywhere, but how y'all gonna use the statement of: "This will kill gw2" when this game actively has bad decisions floating around, in your face???

Should I even bring up the mount fiasco when half of you SCREAMED at Anet about the very fair mount contracts that were CHEAPER than they once were? Thanks to the VERY LOUD PvE folks you not only made the rng contracts more expensive but you ALSO bumped up the premium mounts to 2000 gems when it used to be what? 1600 gems?

Sure, let's not have PvP running around in every map, but don't sit here and lie and say things are fine when it's clearly not fine in ALL gamemodes when I can literally go back and link all the issues people were typing about PVE alone.

I would love the ability to flag for pvp in open world. For me is the thrill during exploring that I can get attacked anytime and anywhere and have to defend. It really makes the world more interesting and dangerous.

It can be implemented that it doesn't bother pve only players. So all the arguments that it would bother pve are silly. Just do not flag, problem solved. Visual clutter and noise? Have you played this visual mess of a game, seriously?

Also it is not only fun for gankers. Sure there are gankers. Some of us even love gankers because it is an extra challenge. But I have played mmorpgs for years that had different open pvp systems and many had big communities, happenings and drama just because of open pvp. It is actually something that gw2 is missing. Yeah the community is nice and warm and fuzzy and helpful but is actually missing the drama and player villains and heroes known around the world that arise with open pvp.

Anyway I know it will never happen. Maybe it could be a good addition in the past to attract people that actually like the thrill of danger in open world. But now I doubt it would be worth implementing it.

Also gw2 would actually be good for some old school hardcore open world pvp where you can drop stuff you are wearing when killed. Because it doesn't have vertical progression and gear is quite easy to obtain, the risk would not be as high as some other games where you could literary get killed and drop a weapon that was worth hundreds of $$$. And then the drama begins and guilds are at war and there is blood and forum flaming.

Open world wont kill gw2. PvP/WvW players will have something to do in the open world and thus learn more about PvE on the way. PvE players on the other hand will get used to seeing players getting killed by other players and maybe learn more about the PvP/WvW community a little bit more while communicating with some WvW/PvP players. And thus go do some PvP and WvW. What my idea is basically bringing all the community together around all the contents that this game is providing, not splitting them apart. I know WvW players playing the game doing only WvW, not knowing what a guild hall is even. I know PvE players who havent played WvW a single time. I know PvP player that does only tournaments. Why all of you think splitted community is a good community ? WvW struggle for fresh blood ? How do you suggest they do that ? Go out in LA spreading the good word and putting posters on the bank and trading post ?

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Open world wont kill gw2. PvP/WvW players will have something to do in the open world and thus learn more about PvE on the way. PvE players on the other hand will get used to seeing players getting killed by other players and maybe learn more about the PvP/WvW community a little bit more while communicating with some WvW/PvP players. And thus go do some PvP and WvW. What my idea is basically bringing all the community together around all the contents that this game is providing, not splitting them apart. I know WvW players playing the game doing only WvW, not knowing what a guild hall is even. I know PvE players who havent played WvW a single time. I know PvP player that does only tournaments. Why all of you think splitted community is a good community ? WvW struggle for fresh blood ? How do you suggest they do that ? Go out in LA spreading the good word and putting posters on the bank and trading post ?

So what's your plan to make up for the loss of the PvE players who will quit the game if OW PvP is implemented? Really, I'm interested in how you will replace me and many of my friends.