New Thief Player- Build Question

Archivist.8109

@Archivist.8109 said:I want to go DD, and was wondering if leveling pistol/pistol for a power build was good, then switching to staff with P/P on my other bar? Thanks!

Staff is of course much better, however P/P is acceptable, just keep in mind that it's only single-target dmg which makes it really annoying to use vs trash mobs, so I'd suggest to go with Sword/Pistol instead of P/P overall, however you can always carry it in second weapon bar, also definitely keep Shortbow in your inventory for Open world mobility and some tagging.

@Archivist.8109 said:Is it true that thief is really hard to play? Someone just told me they're super squishy and not a great class for people not super good at the game yet? It sounds fun but I don't wanna veer outta my lane.

Depends on the build. If you go full glasscannon, yeah a thief will melt to anything. They do not have the sustain necessary to take damage compared to other professions. What they do have, though, is more stealth and evades. Daredevil in particular can keep a high uptime of evades and maintain damage at once. Make sure you level up your thief all the way to get to know the profession first. Then work on your build. Consider getting a full set of Marauders once you hit 80.

@Archivist.8109 said:Is it true that thief is really hard to play? Someone just told me they're super squishy and not a great class for people not super good at the game yet? It sounds fun but I don't wanna veer outta my lane.

It is not that hard, especially in PvE, Fractals and stuff the Bounding Staff Daredevil might actually be one of the easiest professions.It is truly squishy as you say but the number of Dodges and Evade skills on Staff + the quick kill power and good low CD heal doesn't make it too difficult. Even so, I suggest running combination of Marauder and Berseker stats instead of usual Berseker only, since 11k HP provided by Berseker-only stats is indeed quite difficult and is intended to be played only in groups with healer. Meaning that if you plan on Open World and solo content then Marauder combined with Berseker is much more useful and almost equally good DPS in Fractals, so even try-hard groups dont really have an issue with it.

Thief is much more difficult in PvP, though. That's a whole different story if you ever plan on that.

@Archivist.8109 said:I want to go DD, and was wondering if leveling pistol/pistol for a power build was good, then switching to staff with P/P on my other bar? Thanks!

P/P as hybrid is even better. You can stack poison (Deadly ambition+Potent poison) while stacking yourself with Might (Unload).

However, DD is not a good Elite Spec for P/P. It's exponentially better with Deadeye because of Collateral Damage with Cloaked in Shadow (SA). You AoE siphon life every time you kill your marked target as well as damaging every one around it. IMO, it's way better than the old Ricochet.

If you are doing mostly open world, I would suggest using staff and shortbow. Both are very good at dealing with multiple targets, which is the main weakness of p/p (which is only single target). Especially don't skimp on getting used to shortbow. It's a surprisingly good weapon in addition to being a teleport stick.

As said above, a mix of marauder and berserker stats is ideal unless you have a dedicated healer with you. I usually build to around 17k hp between those two stat sets and it seems to work out. Another thing to look at is running with Daredevil, Trickery, and Critical Strikes. CS has a skill which heals you for a percentage of outgoing crit damage, and this gives you a nice sustain cushion to train with.

Have fun!