How many Instant Level 80 boosts have you bought?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Mea.5491 said:None, I have thousands of Tomes.

thousands???? Why ... why would you keep that many?

What else to do with them? Maybe they once become useful, so I kept 4 stacks in the bank, I’ve over 9k spirit chards, what else can be done with them?

Some people use 10 per week to make a 'key runner' - a temporary level 10 character who does the first chapter of the personal story to get a black lion key and then is deleted to start over the next week.

Yeah, so far, I used the lvl 20 birthday scrolls for that, but still haven't done it often enough to use them all up :)

But honestly if I ever ended up with over 1,000 tomes I'd just start deleting them. That's already 4 stacks, I can't imagine they'd ever be made so useful that it's worth clogging up your bank space to store them all.

Should I run short of bank-space I likely consume them for spirits-shards in the wallet, but I've a max-bank that will not happen tomorrow :)

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:Not only have I never bought any - the two I got with the expansions I used on characters who were Level 79! I would have used them on Level 80s, but I think that way you don't get the free exotic gear (which turned out not to be very useful, but never mind).

Aside from the fact that I do actually enjoy the levelling process, my reasoning was that I would do a better job of learning how to play those professions if I levelled up properly. I'd already skipped a big chunk of the levelling process with one character and then sort of regretted it afterwards. I'm not actually convinced that levelling in Central Tyria does help you learn your profession, though, because the content is so easy nowadays. It seems substantially easier than it was on release -- or maybe I've just got better at the game?

Also, the Level 80 Boosts cost over 20 quid! That's insane! That's almost as much as I paid for PoF!

You will get the equipment if you use the boost on a level 80 character. It won't replace what they're wearing but they get a bag with the new equipment inside it. So kind of the opposite of what happens when you use it on a lower level character - they get the exotics equipped and what they were wearing in a bag.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. Of course, now that I've used both my Level 80 boosts, it's not useful for me to know that - but hopefully it's useful to someone.

As for levelling normally I'm inclined to think it seems easier because you've gotten better at the game. I found a similar thing with getting hero points in PoF. When I did it on the ranger I've been playing for years who had a proper build and a full set of exotic/ascended equipment I was able to solo all of them without too much trouble. When I tried it on my brand new level 80 weaver (levelled with tomes) kitted out with whatever gear came from level up rewards and using unfamiliar skills because I was swapping in the weaver ones as I unlocked them I found it extremely difficult - sometimes even when other people showed up I had a hard time staying alive through the fight and contributing enough to get credit, I certainly couldn't have done them solo. Same player, same hero challenges, but take away that experience and I found it far harder.

Yep, that fits with my first experience of playing as a Weaver. My Elementalist was the first character I took through PoF, because Weaver sounded the most exciting of the new elite specs to me (on the rather dubious grounds that it seemed like a combination of the Diablo II Assassin and Guild Wars Factions Assassin - the latter purely because of the phrase 'dual attack'). I had a Tempest with full Celestial gear, and since the Weaver's Sword let me pick Celestial stats I figured they would be ok for Weaver as well. I was wrong! (Of course, they're also barely useable with Tempest most of the time...) So PoF was hard for me the first time through - and substantially easier with every other profession I've taken there.

I noticed a similar thing last time I was doing map completion - I'd watch other people doing hero challenges, or just fighting enemies and sometimes I actually really wished I could see their build because it looked like they were doing everything right - using a mix of skills, kiting, dodging etc. but they were barely doing any damage and their health was dropping fast. I don't know if they had forgotten to choose traits, were using especially bad equipment, or both, but the contrast between different players was surprising.

Might they have been on a map above their level? I guess using underlevelled equipment and/or trying to spread out your stats might have that effect as well.

That's another reason I'd be reluctant to use a level 80 boost. I decided I was ok boosting my weaver and holosmith because I already had an elementalist and an engineer who I levelled naturally and play a lot, so I didn't think there was anything to gain by going through the core profession levelling process again but I definitely needed to take some time to get used to the new skills. I still have mixed feelings about my boosted warrior, I still don't think I know the profession as well as ones I've levelled naturally, but I'd tried levelling a warrior before and haven't enjoyed it so I doubt I'd ever get to level 80 without boosting.

I levelled a warrior normally, but I don't know the profession well either - and I think it's because it has so many weapon options. When I levelled mine, I mostly used axes, greatsword, and rifle, because they seemed like the most power-damage-focussed weapons. They made levelling easy, but the result is I don't have a clue about the other weapons.