Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world

@"Gopaka.7839" said:The idea is to have something different in the game than just a competition or points...PvP - reach 500 points, WvW - make the most points for the week. This is too repetitive and that's why it's getting boring.That's called Edge of the Mists. And unlike a city anywhere in the world, where you have to travel to a specific place to enter (LA?) you can even enter it from anywhere in the world and get back to where you were afterwards.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edge of the Mists is too huge, it's based on three fractions like WvW so it's WvW, it has points and ressets like WvW, it has towers, camps, keeps just like WvW, also you can't use warclaw not like WvW, it has blueprints to craft war machines just like WvW. So it's WvW basically. I don't see them PvE vendors, crafting stations, etc. like in the main cities in PvE...and I don't see it being accessible from the open world with a WP, it's again in the mists as we can see from the name of it. It doesn't look like a playground with no rules... it looks like a floating battleground with set of rules like it is. To go to this point you have to pass trough that point break those doors/walls, kill this Champion, oh and good luck being solo.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Edge of the Mists is too huge, it's based on three fractions like WvW so it's WvW, it has points and ressets like WvW, it has towers, camps, keeps just like WvW, also you can't use warclaw not like WvW, it has blueprints to craft war machines just like WvW. So it's WvW basically. I don't see them PvE vendors, crafting stations, etc. like in the main cities in PvE...and I don't see it being accessible from the open world with a WP, it's again in the mists as we can see from the name of it. It doesn't look like a playground with no rules... it looks like a floating battleground with set of rules like it is. To go to this point you have to pass trough that point break those doors/walls, kill this Champion, oh and good luck being solo.

Edge of the Mists is too huge, but you want open world PVE. Tyria is much bigger than EotM. The logic fails me.

@whoeverxwins.1279 said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Edge of the Mists is too huge, it's based on three fractions like WvW so it's WvW, it has points and ressets like WvW, it has towers, camps, keeps just like WvW, also you can't use warclaw not like WvW, it has blueprints to craft war machines just like WvW. So it's WvW basically. I don't see them PvE vendors, crafting stations, etc. like in the main cities in PvE...and I don't see it being accessible from the open world with a WP, it's again in the mists as we can see from the name of it. It doesn't look like a playground with no rules... it looks like a floating battleground with set of rules like it is. To go to this point you have to pass trough that point break those doors/walls, kill this Champion, oh and good luck being solo.

Edge of the Mists is too huge, but you want open world PVE. Tyria is much bigger than EotM. The logic fails me.

Tyria is not huge for someone who has all the waypoints. You get my point now ?

@Cuks.8241 said:I would love the ability to flag for pvp in open world. For me is the thrill during exploring that I can get attacked anytime and anywhere and have to defend. It really makes the world more interesting and dangerous.

It can be implemented that it doesn't bother pve only players. So all the arguments that it would bother pve are silly. Just do not flag, problem solved. Visual clutter and noise? Have you played this visual mess of a game, seriously?

Also it is not only fun for gankers. Sure there are gankers. Some of us even love gankers because it is an extra challenge. But I have played mmorpgs for years that had different open pvp systems and many had big communities, happenings and drama just because of open pvp. It is actually something that gw2 is missing. Yeah the community is nice and warm and fuzzy and helpful but is actually missing the drama and player villains and heroes known around the world that arise with open pvp.

Anyway I know it will never happen. Maybe it could be a good addition in the past to attract people that actually like the thrill of danger in open world. But now I doubt it would be worth implementing it.

Also gw2 would actually be good for some old school hardcore open world pvp where you can drop stuff you are wearing when killed. Because it doesn't have vertical progression and gear is quite easy to obtain, the risk would not be as high as some other games where you could literary get killed and drop a weapon that was worth hundreds of $$$. And then the drama begins and guilds are at war and there is blood and forum flaming.

Gw2 needs more players that think like u.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

Tyria is not huge for someone who has all the waypoints. You get my point now ?

So ride your warclaw and keep PvP out of PvE. As has been stated numerous times (in this thread alone), ArenaNet has said no. Not to mention the threads you failed to search for, where it has been stated over and over. People roam solo in WvW all the time. I've even popped in there occasionally, and I don't PvP. My biggest complaint though, to bringing PvP to PvE is I don't want to see/ hear the toxicity. I was SO glad when guild halls were added, so I no longer needed to jump into PvP lobby to safely AFK.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular.

Last I checked, it was a few years ago, open PvP servers in WoW aren't nearly as popular as no PvP servers in WoW. In fact when I checked a lot of the PvP servers had major population issues. I don't think enough people enjoy open world PvP in mmorpgs anymore. And there are korean games that fill that need well.

Then why WoW Classic is a thing now? As far as I remember WoW's servers at start were open PvP full mode on. Also I'm not saying to have the one or the other... I'm saying to have both in the same time coexisting.

nostalgia? I am sure, people will realize how much 'classic' WoW sucked soon and then it will be all over.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@Dami.5046 said:You never know, for all you leavers if open world pvp existed, how many would come and play because 1) they want to try it and 2) they don't play because normal pve maps don't interest them. Obviously this game doesn't appeal to all and this may create a different market and different players.A different game.Changing your product to appeal to a different market is rarely a good business decision, especially if you have a decently stable and profitable customer base and the new target market is already served by other products.

If you want a different game, there are many out there that offer open world PvP.

Yes and I played one for 5 years until it was trashed. The forums on said game were actually more toxic than what the open world was. a-hemI mean getting so salty over something we all know they won't do and have said they won't, but lets not allow others have an opinion right? HaHaHA.Sorry but I might as well say Cantha and housing and get my head chewed off there too.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Where's the middle ground between PvE and PvP/WvW ? The PvE is too sterile while PvP/WvW is too brutal. Most PvE players are afraid to enter PvP because of points and competition, and failing the team, and for WvW it's just train with the zerg or get trained by the other zergs and you are there for the pure reason to kill or get killed. PvP in the open world would me more like....I'm doing PvE stuff but can do PvP stuff at any moment while at it. I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular. Players like to experience PvE and PvP in the same time, there is a moment of surprise.

This is NOT World of Warcraft. The people who enjoy Guild Wars 2 PvE do so precisely for its cooperative nature. The lack of open world PvP in this game is not a bug or an oversight. It's a feature. One that made many people choose Guild Wars 2 instead of World of Warcraft.Also, many people advocating for open world PvP try to make their proposal more appealing by saying that it would of course be only optional, and so it would not hurt those who just want to PvE. However, i feel like you are forgetting something: many level 80 maps have map wide meta events that require coordination in order to be successful. If half the map player population is busy ganking each other instead of helping take down the boss, the metas will fail, and that will surely hurt the PvE experience.

No idea why you mention the metas. If a player doesn't want to interact with the meta it doesn't matter if he's fighting a random choya or hydra or another player or whatever. The idea of the topic is to give more options to the game for all kinds of players, so the game looks more appealing to the people.

and watching people troll newbies or fight on my hero point is not appealing AT ALL.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Where's the middle ground between PvE and PvP/WvW ? The PvE is too sterile while PvP/WvW is too brutal. Most PvE players are afraid to enter PvP because of points and competition, and failing the team, and for WvW it's just train with the zerg or get trained by the other zergs and you are there for the pure reason to kill or get killed. PvP in the open world would me more like....I'm doing PvE stuff but can do PvP stuff at any moment while at it. I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular. Players like to experience PvE and PvP in the same time, there is a moment of surprise.

This is NOT World of Warcraft. The people who enjoy Guild Wars 2 PvE do so precisely for its cooperative nature. The lack of open world PvP in this game is not a bug or an oversight. It's a feature. One that made many people choose Guild Wars 2 instead of World of Warcraft.Also, many people advocating for open world PvP try to make their proposal more appealing by saying that it would of course be only optional, and so it would not hurt those who just want to PvE. However, i feel like you are forgetting something: many level 80 maps have map wide meta events that require coordination in order to be successful. If half the map player population is busy ganking each other instead of helping take down the boss, the metas will fail, and that will surely hurt the PvE experience.

No idea why you mention the metas. If a player doesn't want to interact with the meta it doesn't matter if he's fighting a random choya or hydra or another player or whatever. The idea of the topic is to give more options to the game for all kinds of players, so the game looks more appealing to the people.

and watching people troll newbies or fight on my hero point is not appealing AT ALL.

But people do that on the forum all the timeQQ.

@Rasimir.6239 said:No thanks. The whole game's story as well as all of the gameplay systems are based on the concept of cooperation. No juvenile idiots spamming duelling invites or noisily fighting right on top of my character. No newbies getting tricked into activating the switch and getting slaughtered by people getting their kick from easy kills.

If you want to fight other players, go to wvw, pvp or your guild's arena. No need to bother the rest of us with that nonsense.

^^ Totally agree 100% with this post. This is a terrible idea. If its PvP you want go play a dedicated PvP game.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

No. The idea is to have this city in the open world on the open world map and not in the mists where you have to use the menu to enter it and then wait for queues for a match or border. The idea of an Underground City is different than competing. The idea is to have something different in the game than just a competition or points...PvP - reach 500 points, WvW - make the most points for the week. This is too repetitive and that's why it's getting boring. There must be a place where people who like PvP-ing is disconnected from all the points and the toxic competition of the mass.

If you google Bartle's Player Types, the theory is that players can be fitted into four categories: Explorers; Socializers; Achievers; and Killers. You're proposing a map whose primary mechanic (player battles) will appeal mostly to Killers. Killers are competitive by their inclinations. Because of human ego, there is zero chance that there will be no "toxicity" on such a map, though it would focus on cheese, accusations of exploits, trash talk, etc. rather than any focus on winning or losing as a group.

If the map were to be required for exploration, Explorers who are not also Killers would one-and-done it. If you look at the history of WvW, exploration there was removed from the world completion achievement, and for good reason. Therefore, the proposed map will see limited to no use by primary explorers.

Then there are Achievers who are not also Killers. The only achievements which would not be one-and-done would be cumulative such as we see in WvW (cap so many towers, keeps, camps, yaks; player kills; defends, etc.). Without competitive objectives, there would be limited achievements possible. ANet could propogate the map with event-driven achievements. However, to avoid the competition you seek to bypass, these would have to be cooperative. For these to be attractive, there would need to be long-term objectives as rewards. So, what happens when Killers interfere with cooperative efforts by doing what they came to the map to do? Right, the people there for the rewards complain, in chat, on Reddit, on the forum.

Many Socializers would avoid the proposed map. Others might use it, especially if they are also Killers. Again, there would be limited utility, although I believe your idea would benefit this type more than either Achievers or Explorers.

TL:DR: Players like different things, and can be classified into different types; the proposed map would be aimed primarily at the Killer player type; and their objectives are often incompatible with the aims of other types.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:I don't know why all of you people assume that I am a PvP player because I'm suggesting an idea. I have 33k AP and my account value is around 128k gold. My rank in PvP is shark and my WvW rank is below 500. I don't know if I'll enjoy open world PvP, I'll observe it because of curiosity that's for sure, but will I participate in it? Maybe? From time to time? I'm just sure many bored players would gather and fight without waiting 5-10 mins for matching up, then decide which map to choose, then protect or attack a small circle an if they don't like the match... they can't quit because of penalties. In WvW on the other hand... You have 1 waypont and your enemy have 1 waypoint... good luck fighting over and over again with each other...

@"Gopaka.7839" Your 33k AP & 128k G are irrelevant data. You are a single player whether you have 4 AP or 40k AP.

As many have pointed out, Anet has made plenty of provision for folks who desire a PvP style play. For those who do not enjoy that (as has been also said with the theory of player types) there is PvE. Your open world PvP idea would take away literally the only place that PvE players have. While you don't think it is a big deal, for many of us it is. You may not think we would be affected, but we disagree. Instead of taking away the only part of the game where folks can play PvE without any form of PvP, just accept the game as designed and play in the intended PvP areas, or when you have that deep down hankering to kill or be killed in an open world PvP setting, find one of the other MMOs designed that way to scratch that itch and when you tire of it, come back to this game that many of us love BECAUSE it is designed differently. But please don't strive to ruin the game for the rest of us because of something you think might be fun.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:No. The idea is to have this city in the open world on the open world map and not in the mists where you have to use the menu to enter it and then wait for queues for a match or border. The idea of an Underground City is different than competing. The idea is to have something different in the game than just a competition or points...PvP - reach 500 points, WvW - make the most points for the week. This is too repetitive and that's why it's getting boring. There must be a place where people who like PvP-ing is disconnected from all the points and the toxic competition of the mass. And yes I know there are guild arenas and sun's refuge and stuff. But there isn't a huge place that can gather a lot of players to just fight without disturbing the competing people and torn off the toxic behavior of the PvP/WvW where you have to fight in the ring, you have to go in groups to survive, you have to stay with the zerg. Maybe that was the whole point of me suggesting the open world PvP, just a free zone where you can chill and fight others from time to time while doing open world content events without disturbing the players who actually are trying hard to do something competitive and you are in their way or take place of someone who can be more capable than you.

Have you been to Obsidian Sanctum?

This topic has been beaten to death, but let me just add that even if you flag yourself for PvP in open world, you're taking consent away from all the people who did not flag for PvP because your noise and attack visuals and buffs and effects are still there for all to endure.

Everyone who enters a PvP map has consented to PvP and all the light and noise that comes with it; that is why the modes are separated, so that different modes are not forced upon unwilling parties.

The old adage of "the right to swing my fist ends where the other man's face begins".

You didn't kill me, that ogre did! Lets try somewhere more open. Nope that didn't work. There's not enough room and too many mobs. Lets go to the forums and demand they remove mobs -----------------and yeah a few waypoints,-------------------------- and keep those untagged players out! -------------------------------There, now it's just------------------------------WvW.

Why aren't there any other players?

@"Gopaka.7839" said:

@"Gopaka.7839" said:I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular.

Last I checked, it was a few years ago, open PvP servers in WoW aren't nearly as popular as no PvP servers in WoW. In fact when I checked a lot of the PvP servers had major population issues. I don't think enough people enjoy open world PvP in mmorpgs anymore. And there are korean games that fill that need well.

Then why WoW Classic is a thing now? As far as I remember WoW's servers at start were open PvP full mode on. Also I'm not saying to have the one or the other... I'm saying to have both in the same time coexisting.

WoW Classic has PVE only servers... as well as PvP and RP.

@Dami.5046 said:

@Dami.5046 said:You never know, for all you leavers if open world pvp existed, how many would come and play because 1) they want to try it and 2) they don't play because normal pve maps don't interest them. Obviously this game doesn't appeal to all and this may create a different market and different players.A different game.Changing your product to appeal to a different market is rarely a good business decision, especially if you have a decently stable and profitable customer base and the new target market is already served by other products.

If you want a different game, there are many out there that offer open world PvP.

Yes and I played one for 5 years until it was trashed. The forums on said game were actually more toxic than what the open world was.
a-hem
I mean getting so salty over something we all know they won't do and have said they won't, but lets not allow others have an opinion right? HaHaHA.Sorry but I might as well say Cantha and housing and get my head chewed off there too.

and you have every right to your opinion. You could even provide past developers official stancesnon the subject to expand on your opinion.

People are not getting salty. They are absolutely disagreeing to an idea which is:

• contrary to nearly 7 years of this games developement and content
  • contrary to past developer communication
  • opposed to have their game experience potentially be negatively affected in multiple ways
  • has been beaten to death multiple times over the past years

The only people salty in this thread seem to be the in-favor crowd which seem surprised that this idea is getting shot down, once again.

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Where's the middle ground between PvE and PvP/WvW ?

WvW is the middle ground... in the Mists, not in Tyria. Instead of getting into the discussion, let's just remember this game was designed not to have open world pvp and probably never will - your arguments make sense in most other MMOs but not in this one.