Resistance as a unique Mallyx buff (Superspeed-ish)

DonArkanio.6419

Hey there,

Currently there are plenty of skills in game that grant Resistance. The buff, I believe, was introduced with HoT launch. It then used to be a special thing that mostly Mallyx used to have.Resistance functions as a normal Boon, which means it can be stripped or corrupted. But does it have to be this way?Mallyx was/ is all about conditions. Manipulation, usage, stripping, transferring, etc.

What if Resistance worked like Superspeed? - Unique, short buff that can't be stripped.

• non-extendable
  • non-corruptable
  • non-strippable
  • short (mostly as it is)

Resistance itself is a very short buff on Mallyx but the Legend is very dependant on it.This way it could give Mallyx a huge opportunity to be very competitive. It could allow Mallyx to be a very dengerous opponent against Condi-builds - which I think it was designed to be.

So, what do you think?

Mallyx need energy revision from Anet it’s to hexpebsive for the reaults, unless we gain a boost in energy gain if hitting targets with torment xD

I don’t thing mallyx need super speed...cheaper utilities and a bit more resistance would be a simple improvement that could work.

Maybe some more condi damage reducer or something that makes condi expire faster on alies.

@Aeolus.3615 said:Mallyx need energy revision from Anet it’s to hexpebsive for the reaults, unless we gain a boost in energy gain if hitting targets with torment xD

I don’t thing mallyx need super speed...cheaper utilities and a bit more resistance would be a simple improvement that could work.

Maybe some more condi damage reducer or something that makes condi expire faster on alies.

You got the idea wrong. Resistance would become a unique buff, just like Superspeed is. This way it couldn't be able to be corrupted or stripped.

At the moment it's a Boon.

@DonArkanio.6419 said:

@Aeolus.3615 said:Mallyx need energy revision from Anet it’s to hexpebsive for the reaults, unless we gain a boost in energy gain if hitting targets with torment xD

You got the idea wrong. Resistance would become a unique buff, just like Superspeed is. This way it couldn't be able to be corrupted or stripped.

Oh ic like jalis elite skill, that would be far to strong.Renegade has 50% condi damage reducer, but is useless due how anet made the spirits kilable.

Two big issues with Mallyx being meta or highly competitive:

1) its concept is condi counter, but power builds are more prevalent in pvp usually so it can’t fulfill its niche well

2) Scourge does pretty much literally everything it can do, but from range and better

There’s more issues ofc, but those are two of the main ones that keep it from being highly effective. Other issues are mobility and sustain

In short: I don’t think changing Resistance on Mallyx to Superspeed type buff will end up fixing the issues. However, a change that would go a long way towards making Corruption and Mallyx more effective would be making Demonic Defiance proc on both legend sets, like Notoriety, at a reduced duration for the non Mallyx legends. Also could reduce the CD on it to 3 or 4 and make it work with EtD the way Diabolic Inferno does

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:Two big issues with Mallyx being meta or highly competitive:

1) its concept is condi counter, but power builds are more prevalent in pvp usually so it can’t fulfill its niche well

That concept has been dead long ago.

True, but it’s still present enough in the legend design that it does hold itself back from being a top tier legend in competitive

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:Two big issues with Mallyx being meta or highly competitive:

2) Scourge does pretty much literally everything it can do, but from range and better

There’s more issues ofc, but those are two of the main ones that keep it from being highly effective. Other issues are mobility and sustain

In short: I don’t think changing Resistance on Mallyx to Superspeed type buff will end up fixing the issues. However, a change that would go a long way towards making Corruption and Mallyx more effective would be making Demonic Defiance proc on both legend sets, like Notoriety, at a reduced duration for the non Mallyx legends. Also could reduce the CD on it to 3 or 4 and make it work with EtD the way Diabolic Inferno does

Yeah, I agree that these are the 2 major things keeping Mallyx from being any near the Scourge / FB / Condi level. Currenty, it is what it is.

What if picking Corruption would make your Resistance a unique buff? Just like Salvation gives Alacrity to Ventari's heal. I know that the issues with Mallyx go a lot deeper but this could be a nice addition since we have CtA and this is a playstyle of 100% all-in and little way out. Having this kind of Resistance could improve Mallyx's surivivability overall against Scourges making them harder to deal with (especially against condi builds, just like it was designed).

As for Notoriety and Demonic Defiance. I know it could work, but I love the fact that we have traitlines supporting each legends. I want Resistance to stay on Mallyx only, but let it be very strong. I don't like how Notoriety works because even though it grants 3 stacks of Might on Shiro, you can pop up Facets and get 219308 Might.

This is very weird, but I would like Notoriety to give Shiro a lot of power exclusively - other Legends should have other strong traits. In my opinion Revenant is about momentum and should be designed around that. Maybe it's hard, maybe Devs don't care. But I would rather go for the perfect Revenant concept than all Legends being able to get the same stuff.

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

That concept has been dead long ago.

Well, if only we had HoT Mallyx, we wdouln't have any discussion here. I want to give Mallyx so extra power without making other classes outcry about it.

@Aeolus.3615 said:

Oh ic like jalis elite skill, that would be far to strong.Renegade has 50% condi damage reducer, but is useless due how anet made the spirits kilable.

Exactly, Renegade can use a 50% Condi reduction, but it doesn't stack with Resistance, since it blocks 100% of condi damage anyway.

The thing is, Mallyx could be actually a Condition Manager. Right now we have stuations where you pull condis on yourself and Scourge says "hi, boonstrip", and boom.Mallyx has a very specific role but its unable to fulfill it, making it very unreliable.

Would it actually be too strong if Resistance on Mallyx worked like RotG?3 seconds, 30 energy using Pain Absorption (+additional seconds)2 seconds with 5s CD using Demonic Defiance

IDK if there is need for "unique buff"- my main issue trying Mallyx was1) Power Spiked if not holding staff2) necros corrupt boons faster then we apply our resistance, so if we could spam it faster(bad concetp, power creep) it will not be that big deal.for example look on core mallyx shire condi- swap to malyx 75 enregy + U use +25 energy F2=3x resistance skill(if it not will be interupted, then you get nothing)while shiro you have 0 resistance, but necro will corrupt permanently whole time every 5-10 sec(faster if scourge)

@"Catchyfx.5768" said:IDK if there is need for "unique buff"- my main issue trying Mallyx was1) Power Spiked if not holding staff2) necros corrupt boons faster then we apply our resistance, so if we could spam it faster(bad concetp, power creep) it will not be that big deal.for example look on core mallyx shire condi- swap to malyx 75 enregy + U use +25 energy F2=3x resistance skill(if it not will be interupted, then you get nothing)while shiro you have 0 resistance, but necro will corrupt permanently whole time every 5-10 sec(faster if scourge)

But you actually mention that the problem Mallyx has is Necros corrupting Resistance. This way it would be non-corruptable. It would fix the issue you have with Mallyx.

Also, Mallyx's heal is very reliant on Pain Absorption, so having that Resistance as a unique buff would allow you to more reliably use heal.

Resistance is Mallyx's only defense - being power spiked if not on staff - so why aren't you sure about the Resistance change? Just curious.

Eh, I think having a counter to something that completely ignores all conditions and their effects is healthy. I don't think it being a boon is a problem at all, and it being a boon also gives a niche for concentration-heavy builds like WvW Hamner Divinergade. Although Mallyx is supposed to be the condition manipulator, that is not to say it should necessarily counter Necro because a lot of Necro's identity is about boon corruption and condition manipulation as well. It runs deep in the class whereas in Rev it is only present in Corruption and Mallyx. I can fare decently well against good Necros when playing Condi Rev, but the thing that usually messes me up the most is the cast time on Pain Absorption and that 0.5 seconds of vulnerability in order to access a crucial defense for the kit, which is also devastating when fighting CC-heavy power classes like Warrior and Holo. This is not to say that Mallyx is perfect as-is, but moreso that Scourge specifically is still overperforming in its role and inherent synergy with Firebrand.

Maybe also change Replenishing Despair trait in Corruptions to further support Mallyx's condi manipulation :

When gaining a Condition, gain Resistance. (10s ICD)When applying a Condition, remove a boon on the target. (10s ICD)Heal for x amount whenever Resistance is gained. (1s ICD)

and maybe Demonic Defiance :

Reduce damage taken from Conditions by 10%Reduce damage taken by 1% for each Condition you have.

@otto.5684 said:I think the best option is to remove resistance from the game completely. Such a stupid concept that should have never ever existed and is either so ridiculously powerful or does not work at all (the later in rev case).

Or make it similar to Stability where it is applied in stacks, and each Condition inflicted while having Resistance consumes a stack of Resistance instead.

Kinda like a Condi version of Aegis, but stackable due to Conditions being more liberal in application.

@Yasai.3549 said:

@otto.5684 said:I think the best option is to remove resistance from the game completely. Such a stupid concept that should have never ever existed and is either so ridiculously powerful or does not work at all (the later in rev case).

Or make it similar to Stability where it is applied in stacks, and each Condition inflicted while having Resistance consumes a stack of Resistance instead.

Kinda like a Condi version of Aegis, but stackable due to Conditions being more liberal in application.

IMO the Stability should work like Resistance does. I hate the way it's designed. Having 5+ stacks of Stability is just pure cancer.And this is because those stacks can be extended and stacked even further.

Short 3s unique buff Stability would make a lot more sense in the current CC/Stunbreak spam.