Option of making players being able to attack/get attacked in the open world

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Give the players the option to attack or being attacked in the open world. Without this option activated the players can stay neutral and not being able to attack or get attacked in open world. This option will give more liveliness to the game... I mean in WoW works, so why not here. By putting the tick ON you are agreeing that you wont mind being attacked by any kind of player of any kind of lvl, class, build etc. With a simple tick in the character select menu you can decide which character can be aggressive and which normal/neutral.Yes, we have WvW and PvP, but those are zones that are just for fighting players and nothing more... the same old battlegrounds with no element of surprise where you can't go lvl up, kill some champion, world boss and being ganged at any point.We observed this kind of implementation in the game where from neutral you go attackable in the small arena in the PvP lobby, so we know the mechanic is there but used on a very small scale.Just think about the possibilities, dueling, GvG, bounty hunting players and many more on all kinds of terrain. Making creative combat videos with cool surroundings, using proper arenas and getting huge crowds to watch community driven tournaments while being save and bidding for the winner. The possibilities are limitless and in my opinion the devs can implement this in the game quite easy... I mean look what they've done with the stats change menu, it's f***ing gorgeous! One simple click on the character swap menu making you being able to fight with other players who clicked the same option and the open world, this game will never be the same again!

Since much of the game is structured to promoting cooperation, I think for the most part the clunky dueling scenarios are fine currently, but if they had to enable a dueling option, would need a sort of tagging up, flagged up setting to enable/disable invites in your hero tab or something.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Give the players the option to attack or being attacked in the open world. Without this option activated the players can stay neutral and not being able to attack or get attacked in open world. This option will give more liveliness to the game... I mean in WoW works, so why not here. By putting the tick ON you are agreeing that you wont mind being attacked by any kind of player of any kind of lvl, class, build etc. With a simple tick in the character select menu you can decide which character can be aggressive and which normal/neutral.Yes, we have WvW and PvP, but those are zones that are just for fighting players and nothing more... the same old battlegrounds with no element of surprise where you can't go lvl up, kill some champion, world boss and being ganged at any point.We observed this kind of implementation in the game where from neutral you go attackable in the small arena in the PvP lobby, so we know the mechanic is there but used on a very small scale.Just think about the possibilities, dueling, GvG, bounty hunting players and many more on all kinds of terrain. Making creative combat videos with cool surroundings, using proper arenas and getting huge crowds to watch community driven tournaments while being save and bidding for the winner. The possibilities are limitless and in my opinion the devs can implement this in the game quite easy... I mean look what they've done with the stats change menu, it's f***ing gorgeous! One simple click on the character swap menu making you being able to fight with other players who clicked the same option and the open world, this game will never be the same again!

No. No. No.

I had enough experience of this (both attacking and being attacked) in another NCSoft title, Aion, to know that this is not a healthy mechanic for any MMORPG.

As I mentioned in a previous post this morning - there are other games out there for you to enjoy this mechanic. In my opinion, it has no place in this world.

@Donutdude.9582 said:

No. No. No.

I had enough experience of this (both attacking and being attacked) in another NCSoft title, Aion, to know that this is not a healthy mechanic for any MMORPG.

As I mentioned in a previous post this morning - there are other games out there for you to enjoy this mechanic. In my opinion, it has no place in this world.

Were you on spatalos?

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Dami.5046 said:You never know, for all you leavers if open world pvp existed, how many would come and play because 1) they want to try it and 2) they don't play because normal pve maps don't interest them. Obviously this game doesn't appeal to all and this may create a different market and different players.A different game.Changing your product to appeal to a different market is rarely a good business decision, especially if you have a decently stable and profitable customer base and the new target market is already served by other products.

If you want a different game, there are many out there that offer open world PvP.

Yes and I played one for 5 years until it was trashed. The forums on said game were actually more toxic than what the open world was.
a-hem
I mean getting so salty over something we all know they won't do and have said they won't, but lets not allow others have an opinion right? HaHaHA.Sorry but I might as well say Cantha and housing and get my head chewed off there too.

and you have every right to your opinion. You could even provide past developers official stancesnon the subject to expand on your opinion.

People are not getting salty. They are absolutely disagreeing to an idea which is:
  • contrary to nearly 7 years of this games developement and content
  • contrary to past developer communication
  • opposed to have their game experience potentially be negatively affected in multiple ways
  • has been beaten to death multiple times over the past years

The only people salty in this thread seem to be the in-favor crowd which seem surprised that this idea is getting shot down, once again.

Oh please.You really don't have to tell me what I already know. Like Cantha, also beaten like a stick and very much pushed to the side from the start from anet. I don't expect them to change their game to suit unlike others. However IF they were to start going down that route I would embrace it, like i need to embrace every nerf that is asked,watching content changed because people are too lazy to farm a node, or having less maps 'just because'Maybe salty is the wrong word. Maybe I should of said flame. But anyway, opinion a side, it is a moot point as you full know and not worthy of any more of my time.Good day.

@"Danikat.8537" said:Anyone know why there's been so many PvP in PvE topics recently? We used to get one every few months at most, then for the last few weeks it seems like we've had a new one every other day.*

Anet actually answered this a while ago: the way the game is designed there is no simple way to flag someone as an enemy to certain players but friendly to others, it's set up to be one or the other. And since they've already got WvW, PvP, custom PvP arenas and guild arenas they feel there's already enough options for fighting other players that it wouldn't justify the time and effort required (meaning the people doing it can't do other stuff with that time and so other features will be delayed or cancelled) plus the risk of annoying people who have absolutely no interest in PvP and are not going to suddenly decide they like it because it's dropped on top of them.

And yes, a lot of people will want to make sure this doesn't interfere with playing PvE - which doesn't just means the system defaults to off and you have to turn it on before you can be killed. It also means preventing people from "duelling" on top of crafting stations, banks and other places with high player activity where the light show would be extremely annoying for everyone else around. Maybe if it was restricted to a few designated spaces (like the existing fighting pits used in the personal story) it would be ok. But then why not just use a PvP arena?

*Note for @Illconceived Was Na.9781 no I haven't actually counted, so yes this is probably subject to confirmation bias. ;)

Because the PvP options we had were gutted.

I understand that PvE players dont want PvP in thier maps, I just wish PvE players gave the same respect to other game modes but instead we ended up with things like Warclaw.

So I think people are pushing for a sense of fairness or are looking for ither ways to enjoy this beautifuland intricate combat system that GW2 has to offer.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:Anyone know why there's been so many PvP in PvE topics recently? We used to get one every few months at most, then for the last few weeks it seems like we've had a new one every other day.*

Anet actually answered this a while ago: the way the game is designed there is no simple way to flag someone as an enemy to certain players but friendly to others, it's set up to be one or the other. And since they've already got WvW, PvP, custom PvP arenas and guild arenas they feel there's already enough options for fighting other players that it wouldn't justify the time and effort required (meaning the people doing it can't do other stuff with that time and so other features will be delayed or cancelled) plus the risk of annoying people who have absolutely no interest in PvP and are not going to suddenly decide they like it because it's dropped on top of them.

And yes, a lot of people will want to make sure this doesn't interfere with playing PvE - which doesn't just means the system defaults to off and you have to turn it on before you can be killed. It also means preventing people from "duelling" on top of crafting stations, banks and other places with high player activity where the light show would be extremely annoying for everyone else around. Maybe if it was restricted to a few designated spaces (like the existing fighting pits used in the personal story) it would be ok. But then why not just use a PvP arena?

*Note for @Illconceived Was Na.9781 no I haven't actually counted, so yes this is probably subject to confirmation bias. ;)

I understand that PvE players dont want PvP in thier maps, I just wish PvE players gave the same respect to other game modes but instead we ended up with things like Warclaw.

So I think people are pushing for a sense of fairness or are looking for ither ways to enjoy this beautifuland intricate combat system that GW2 has to offer.

Yea i dont think any pve players had anything to do with warclaw it was hm these wvw people arent buying mount skins lets give them their own mount.

@Linken.6345 said:

Yea i dont think any pve players had anything to do with warclaw it was hm these wvw people arent buying mount skins lets give them their own mount.

It was asked for by a known PvP player that trolls... then the idea caught momentum by players saying its unfair they get ganked on thier way back to zergs.

So PoF owners were given 10k extra health, immunity to CC, faster mobility, 3 extra dodges and an enemy tracker to help avoid combat.

Now I'm lucky to see more than 5 people on an enemy server, most of which mount off into the distance or emote me to death while all the toys and kites come out.

I do WvW now when I need down time from dying in PvP or PvE... Because you can actually die in those modes.

So to stay on topic... the PvP scene has bled out. But this game offers such a great combat system. I can understand wanting to use the combat system at any chance possible.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

It was asked for by a known PvP player that trolls... then the idea caught momentum by players saying its unfair they get ganked on thier way back to zergs.

The assumption that a mount was introduced into the game due to some players asking for something is ludicrous. Even IF this were the case, hardly the entire PvE community could be held accountable, even less considering most actuvely avoid WvW and Spvp like the plague.

The way more plausible reasoning is: mounts made money, Arenanet wanted to monetize the WvW community as good as possible, done. The fact the mount was received with mixed enthusiasm will simply discourage more innovation for the WvW content.

@sephiroth.4217 said:So to stay on topic... the PvP scene has bled out. But this game offers such a great combat system. I can understand wanting to use the combat system at any chance possible.

The sPvP scene has been dead since 2015 when the big push for more sPvP nearly killed the game. Any players drawing any enjoyment from spvp and wvw (yes, that includes me since I love WvW), should be happy that the PvE crowd still funds this game. So far, the sPvP and WvW communities have been efficient enough at devolving and destroying themselves (granted with some lack in monitoring from Arenanet), don't look at the PvE crowd for any fault. Spvp (and sometimes WvW) remains one of the most toxic environments in this game.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

So PoF owners were given 10k extra health, immunity to CC, faster mobility, 3 extra dodges and an enemy tracker to help avoid combat.

Now I'm lucky to see more than 5 people on an enemy server, most of which mount off into the distance or emote me to death while all the toys and kites come out.

I do WvW now when I need down time from dying in PvP or PvE... Because you can actually die in those modes.

So to stay on topic... the PvP scene has bled out. But this game offers such a great combat system. I can understand wanting to use the combat system at any chance possible.

Why wouldn't Anet include something that would encourage the holdouts to finally get PoF? I am THRILLED I can run back to my zerg now instead of getting ganked by someone geared and specced for 1v1 while I am not. I KNOW I am not anywhere near a challenge so basically the complaints want more easy fodder by asking for open world pvp... Again, someone geared and specced for 1v1 against those who are not.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

*Note for @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" no I haven't actually counted, so yes this is probably subject to confirmation bias. ;)

The assumption that a mount was introduced into the game due to some players asking for something is ludicrous. Even IF this were the case, hardly the entire PvE community could be held accountable, even less considering most actuvely avoid WvW and Spvp like the plague.

Im not holding the "PvE" community responsible as I used to PvE a bit myself.I was just using one of the main complaints as an example.

The way more plausible reasoning is: mounts made money, Arenanet wanted to monetize the WvW community as good as possible, done. The fact the mount was received with mixed enthusiasm will simply discourage more innovation for the WvW content.If that was the case, there would be more mount skins and more access to mounts as a whole.

@sephiroth.4217 said:So to stay on topic... the PvP scene has bled out. But this game offers such a great combat system. I can understand wanting to use the combat system at any chance possible.

The sPvP scene has been dead since 2015 when the big push for more sPvP nearly killed the game. Any players drawing any enjoyment from spvp and wvw (yes, that includes me since I love WvW), should be happy that the PvE crowd still funds this game. So far, the sPvP and WvW communities have been efficient enough at devolving and destroying themselves (granted with some lack in monitoring from Arenanet), don't look at the PvE crowd for any fault. Spvp (and sometimes WvW) remains one of the most toxic environments in this game.

Ah I see.... the "bE tHaNkfUl wE fUndEd yOuR siDe mOdE" response... yea ok. The guy farming PvE that has thousands of gold needed to pull out the credit card to buy gems instead of the broke guy that has a job and uses his salary to skip the grinding session to focus on WvW/PvP..I went over this in another thread... We're all in this together, segregation is bad for a healthy game.

We spend the same, if not more just to keep up with PvE farmers and all the new skins.

@Etria.3642 said:

*Note for @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" no I haven't actually counted, so yes this is probably subject to confirmation bias. ;)

Why wouldn't Anet include something that would encourage the holdouts to finally get PoF? I am THRILLED I can run back to my zerg now instead of getting ganked by someone geared and specced for 1v1 while I am not. I KNOW I am not anywhere near a challenge so basically the complaints want more easy fodder by asking for open world pvp... Again, someone geared and specced for 1v1 against those who are not.

Exactly the point... open world pvp was removed so now its being asked for in PvE.

WvW says its open world PvP but open world PvP should have dangers, even more so when alone to encourage people to group up in safety from the people who sustain the mode for years (the ones ganking you).. Teamwork like that helps players bond and learn until eventually they are that "ganker"/roamer, which means you would have played long enough to help sustain the mode....

The "Im not a 1v1 build" is just an excuse to me... I do fine when ganked on my Staff Tempest, Necro or FB (zerg classes).

@"Gopaka.7839" said:Where's the middle ground between PvE and PvP/WvW ? The PvE is too sterile while PvP/WvW is too brutal. Most PvE players are afraid to enter PvP because of points and competition, and failing the team, and for WvW it's just train with the zerg or get trained by the other zergs and you are there for the pure reason to kill or get killed. PvP in the open world would me more like....I'm doing PvE stuff but can do PvP stuff at any moment while at it. I gave the WoW example for a reason. People enjoy open world PvP, if not, the game wouldn't be so popular. Players like to experience PvE and PvP in the same time, there is a moment of surprise.

WvW is the middle ground between PvE and PvP.If you want to fight other players - head to one of the game modes that give you the ability to do so. It seems a bit silly to add PvP elements to PvE. WvW is literally what you're asking for as it's PvE with PvP elements thrown in.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Im not holding the "PvE" community responsible as I used to PvE a bit myself.I was just using one of the main complaints as an example.

The way more plausible reasoning is: mounts made money, Arenanet wanted to monetize the WvW community as good as possible, done. The fact the mount was received with mixed enthusiasm will simply discourage more innovation for the WvW content.If that was the case, there would be more mount skins and more access to mounts as a whole.

Ah I see.... the "bE tHaNkfUl wE fUndEd yOuR siDe mOdE" response... yea ok. The guy farming PvE that has thousands of gold needed to pull out the credit card to buy gems instead of the broke guy that has a job and uses his salary to skip the grinding session to focus on WvW/PvP..I went over this in another thread... We're all in this together, segregation is bad for a healthy game.

We spend the same, if not more just to keep up with PvE farmers and all the new skins.

I think you missed the point.

Which was:It doesn't make sense to add elements of a game mode which a vast minority enjoys into the game mode which a vast majority enjoys. Especially if the vast majority actively avoides the minority game modes. The net result would be negative.

This has nothing to do with time spent or rewards earned or being thankful. On the contrary, if we talked rewards or monetization, if even a fraction of the monetization from PvE were enforced on the sPvP or WvW communities (say seasonal participation cost), those modes would have been removed from this game a long time ago due to lack of revenuebir players.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Which was:It doesn't make sense to add elements of a game mode which a vast minority enjoys into the game mode which a vast majority enjoys. Especially if the vast majority actively avoides the minority game modes. The net result would be negative.

This has nothing to do with time spent or rewards earned or being thankful. On the contrary, if we talked rewards or monetization, if even a fraction of the monetization from PvE were enforced on the sPvP or WvW communities (say seasonal participation cost), those modes would have been removed from this game a long time ago due to lack of revenuebir players.

Which was the point I originally made?

If you read carefully, I said "I can understand why..." then you guys made up your own stuff from there.

@"sephiroth.4217" said:WvW says its open world PvP but open world PvP should have dangers, even more so when alone to encourage people to group up in safety from the people who sustain the mode for years (the ones ganking you).. Teamwork like that helps players bond and learn until eventually they are that "ganker"/roamer, which means you would have played long enough to help sustain the mode....Aaaand we're back to "we need to force people to my preferred playstyle until they like it".

I can hold my own when being ganked on pretty much any character I step into WvW with, but I still don't enjoy it any more than I did when I first stepped into the mode almost seven years ago. Being forced to duell people built specifically with cheesy ganker builds just isn't my thing. And before you ask, I'm not into zerg karma training either, but much prefer smallscale gameplay, just not with the objective to gank unprepared players.

If you can't unmount people with a specialized ganking build that's on you, but the excuse of "warclaw killed wvw roaming" is a lame one, since it's simply not true. Try adapting instead of forcing people to play your way, and you might just find that it's much easier to bond with a team and actually have fun.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

If you read carefully, I said "I can understand why..." then you guys made up your own stuff from there.

Fair enough, sometimes rational comments do get drowned out by all te whining on the forums.

Let's leave it at: hopefully Arenanet can spice up and reinvigorate spvp and wvw (I still think some lessons from old DAoC and WH Online can be learned) asap.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:WvW says its open world PvP but open world PvP should have dangers, even more so when alone to encourage people to group up in safety from the people who sustain the mode for years (the ones ganking you).. Teamwork like that helps players bond and learn until eventually they are that "ganker"/roamer, which means you would have played long enough to help sustain the mode....Aaaand we're back to "we need to force people to my preferred playstyle until they like it".

I can hold my own when being ganked on pretty much any character I step into WvW with, but I still don't enjoy it any more than I did when I first stepped into the mode almost seven years ago. Being forced to duell people built specifically with cheesy ganker builds just isn't my thing. And before you ask, I'm not into zerg karma training either, but much prefer smallscale gameplay, just not with the objective to gank unprepared players.

If you can't unmount people with a specialized ganking build that's on you, but the excuse of "warclaw killed wvw roaming" is a lame one, since it's simply not true. Try adapting instead of forcing people to play your way, and you might just find that it's much easier to bond with a team and actually have fun.

We'll leave it here as you're not understanding.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Fair enough, sometimes rational comments do get drowned out by all te whining on the forums.

Let's leave it at: hopefully Arenanet can spice up and reinvigorate spvp and wvw (I still think some lessons from old DAoC and WH Online can be learned) asap.

I really hope they do. All game modes are fun and deserve equal love and im sure players of all kind put money into the game. Im keen to see what this content patch is.

@kharmin.7683 said:I wish that they would as well if only to stop the PvP in PvE threads. There appears to be a majority of forums-goers who are against the idea, but yet it keeps coming up from a suddenly vocal minority.

always do, check other other numerous topics on like 'i want elves', 'i want player housing', etc

i would very much prefer Anet implement not overly difficult feature that can be reused repeatedly to monitise the game, like my dream item i wish devs can make, an outfit conversion token on the gem store that we can purchase to turn an outfit into an armor skin set

+1

@sephiroth.4217 said:But this game offers such a great combat system. I can understand wanting to use the combat system at any chance possible.Then why on earth would you advocate to change the PvE system? If you want better PvP, ask for that.

! > @sephiroth.4217 said:! > Because the PvP options we had were gutted.! Have they been? What's fundamentally changed for sPvP? It's always had people quitting, it's always had people taking advantages of ANet's lack of speed in dealing with rules violations, it's always had balance issues.!! > @sephiroth.4217 said:! > I understand that PvE players dont want PvP in thier maps, I just wish PvE players gave the same respect to other game modes but instead we ended up with things like Warclaw.! There is zero evidence that ANet cares one whit what PvE-centric players think should happen in WvW.!! > @sephiroth.4217 said:! > So I think people are pushing for a sense of fairness or are looking for ither ways to enjoy this beautifuland intricate combat system that GW2 has to offer.! >! Fundamentally changing PvE is not going to make things "fair." If there are issues with PvP, the only way to address them is in PvP.!! > @sephiroth.4217 said:! > It was asked for by a known PvP player that trolls... then the idea caught momentum by players saying its unfair they get ganked on thier way back to zergs.! That's the oddest theory I've seen floated this month and it's been a banner month for hypotheses without any connection to evidence.!! Studios simply do not spend tons of resources simply because some minority complains vocally about anything. This is especially true for ANet, who has established a pattern of taking in all sorts of feedback... and then planning and implementing only those ideas that align with their vision of the game.!! As a reminder, people complained about getting ganked on their way back to zergs in 2012; it wasn't something that started after the announcement of PoF (and mounts).!! > @sephiroth.4217 said:! > So PoF owners were given 10k extra health, immunity to CC, faster mobility, 3 extra dodges and an enemy tracker to help avoid combat.! Anyone who wanted to avoid combat could already do so.!!! > @sephiroth.4217 said:! > Now I'm lucky to see more than 5 people on an enemy server, most of which mount off into the distance or emote me to death while all the toys and kites come out.! Those are consequences of the way the Warclaw's current mechanics, in which case, the solution is to advocate for changes to that implementation (some of which were made, some of which are pending).!! Regardless, at best, that's evidence that there actually aren't as many WvWarriors as you thought who care to engage in small group combat.!! > @sephiroth.4217 said:! > I do WvW now when I need down time from dying in PvP or PvE... Because you can actually die in those modes.! And? How does that make it good for Guild Wars 2 to introduce PvP to PvE zones?!! > @sephiroth.4217 said:! > So to stay on topic... the PvP scene has bled out.! That's not the topic.