Are there things that felt disturbing/uncomfortable/disgusting in GW2?

Have there been any story lines, dialogue, events, random little details, skills, sound effects or something else that made you feel discomfort or disgust?

What comes to my mind is this piece of dialogue:

Champion Drakin Cinderspire: We can cover this land in fire. We shall see the citadels alight!Champion Drakin Cinderspire: All shall bow. All shall have the truth burned into them.Champion Drakin Cinderspire: We shall rise and cleanse this world of the weak and unfaithful.Champion Drakin Cinderspire: Oh, woman playing soldier. We have a space in the breeding farms for your insolence. Surrender and atone!Legionnaire Vesta Scorchpath: Not now. Not ever. Besides, we have a message for you.Champion Drakin Cinderspire: Speak before I burn your tongues away.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"ugrakarma.9416" said:lol gw2 age rate is for those under 9 years old and no one warned me?

i would love see gw2 more lines like Conan the Barbarian movie:

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

Omg...too funny. I just last night was sitting in bed, and wanted to watch an old classic...so I fired this bad boy movie up on Netflix. Man. The blonde woman (Conans lover), still looks good at nearly 70 yrs!

I am old fashioned when it comes to NPC dialogue. They are not evil if they do not act evil.

For years I was happy with GW2, as one of the few MMORPGs which did not use real crocodiles as enemies. I am not a huge fan of those creatures to say the least, I almost petrify when I just see a picture of them. Some people are scared of spiders, I am scared of those. However with Path of Fire, they have introduced crocodile skinned scale drakes. I found that pool in Elon Riverlands, took me weeks to collect enough courage to dive into it. But the most horrible enounter is Muck Stalker in the Desolation. I just hate this thing, its regenerative ability does not make the encounter any better. The crocodiles of PoF and the descent into the Primal Kin gave me shivers.

There is a renown heart in Iron Marches, which really made me uncomfortable. The player takes on the role of a prison warden in a quarry. It is their duty to motivate the prisoners to work harder, or start working for that matter. When some of the prisoners become a bit unruly, the warden must curtail their actions by beating them with a whip.

I absolutely hated that heart for this very reason. It felt so wrong beating someone into submission with a whip, as if I were some kind of cruel master. Those were truly bad vibes I received while trying to complete that task.

The renown heart in Bloodtide Coast with all the sick and dying quaggans. That one always felt awful to me since the player is pretty much unable to help the quaggans. I hated the feeling I'd get when the NPC wouldn't get to one of the quaggans in time, resulting in me having to burn the body or the poor thing turning into a zombie quaggan that I then have to put down.

The instance where we took Caithe's place and committed her heinous crimes for her, absolving her of any guilt for her actions, taking on that burden ourselves. This was the moment where I stopped caring about the story, the characters, etc. I was so disgusted with the writing that GW2 stopped being an RPG for me and became just a combat simulator.

@Ashen.2907 said:The instance where we took Caithe's place and committed her heinous crimes for her, absolving her of any guilt for her actions, taking on that burden ourselves. This was the moment where I stopped caring about the story, the characters, etc. I was so disgusted with the writing that GW2 stopped being an RPG for me and became just a combat simulator.

You’re not taking on the blame for her - you just view the memories, she still did it all herself

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:The instance where we took Caithe's place and committed her heinous crimes for her, absolving her of any guilt for her actions, taking on that burden ourselves. This was the moment where I stopped caring about the story, the characters, etc. I was so disgusted with the writing that GW2 stopped being an RPG for me and became just a combat simulator.

You’re not taking on the blame for her - you just view the memories, she still did it all herself

I am required to control her actions during this period. If I was just observing then I wouldnt be in control of her actions. Similarly, if it wasnt me then my armor wouldnt have needed repair after the instance.

@"Ashen.2907" said:The instance where we took Caithe's place and committed her heinous crimes for her, absolving her of any guilt for her actions, taking on that burden ourselves.

Yeah...that kind of hurt. It sure made me despise Caithe even more, and I hadn't even thought that was possible.

I've already mentioned this on another thread, but there's a part in Heart of Thorns where

! you stumble across a Mordrem Guard who is struggling for control away from Mordremoth's influence. His voice. Gaaahhhhh. Mordrem Guard have deep, rasping, crackling, "corrupted" voices. This guy does, too...except his voice keeps changing. It shifts back and forth between a corrupted Mordrem Guard voice and a very young, very scared, high-pitched sylvari voice - he sounds perfectly normal (if completely terrified) for a second or two, and then his voice starts to pitch down again as he continues talking. As he's frantically telling you and Canach about what it feels like to be completely taken over by Mordremoth, he sounds like he's on the verge of crying in fear. He tells you how he literally can't control himself, like someone else was pulling the puppet strings...he actually says "I couldn't tell what was happening." How it was such a relief to finally hear the incessant screaming call go quiet once he fell to the dragon's influence, how he just wanted to obey even though he knew it was wrong.... Then he loses the battle against Mordremoth's call and you're forced to put him down.An amazing piece of sound design, voice acting, and storytelling, but yeesh was it horrifying.

@Batel.9206 said:

An amazing piece of sound design, voice acting, and storytelling, but yeesh was it horrifying.

I agree, that scene was one of my favorites. The whole of HoT as a sylvari might qualify for this thread - disturbing on so many levels, but the sense of fighting together (though some fall by the way) with your companions and your people is unforgettable.

@Cerioth.7062 said:Have there been any story lines, dialogue, events, random little details, skills, sound effects or something else that made you feel discomfort or disgust?

Champion Drakin Cinderspire: We can cover this land in fire. We shall see the citadels alight!Champion Drakin Cinderspire: All shall bow. All shall have the truth burned into them.Champion Drakin Cinderspire: We shall rise and cleanse this world of the weak and unfaithful.Champion Drakin Cinderspire: Oh, woman playing soldier. We have a space in the breeding farms for your insolence. Surrender and atone!Legionnaire Vesta Scorchpath: Not now. Not ever. Besides, we have a message for you.Champion Drakin Cinderspire: Speak before I burn your tongues away.

Political correctness gone overboard. I'm sorry but if you're offended by anything in a video game you need to step back and get help. I'm sick and tired of every want to be PC warrior screwing with my life and my fun because they spend their time trying to find something to complain about. This game is rated, if you didn't want to see or experience these things then maybe you should have read up about it, and if you're a long time player; shame on you for attention grabbing!

That part with the doctor infected in domain of kourna sealed in her house agonizing and dying. Was pretty well done.Was imagining her thoracic cage/ belly exploding! good sound effects reminded me Aliens.

Joko harassing the poor guy in his house was cool too.

@Ashen.2907 said:

I am required to control her actions during this period.

Because that's simply how quests like that work in many video games. WoW en ESO have plenty of flashback quests where you see past events through the eyes of another, and you also play through those past events yourself, because if your character was controlled by the game and all you had to do is watch it would be boring. Quests need to be played, not looked at.

Just because you controlled Caithe during the flashback doesn't make it any less of a flashback and our characters certainly aren't guilty of her mistakes, because that would be utterly ridiculous.

And as for needing to repair your armor, yet another case of "gameplay mechanics" / "lore" segration. Our characters always come back at a nearby waypoint after dying, that also does not mean we are immortal, it simply means we never died lorewise, despite the fact that gameplay wise we did die.

@Vlad Morbius.1759 said:

@Cerioth.7062 said:Have there been any story lines, dialogue, events, random little details, skills, sound effects or something else that made you feel discomfort or disgust?

Political correctness gone overboard. I'm sorry but if you're offended by anything in a video game you need to step back and get help. I'm sick and tired of every want to be PC warrior screwing with my life and my fun because they spend their time trying to find something to complain about. This game is rated, if you didn't want to see or experience these things then maybe you should have read up about it, and if you're a long time player; shame on you for attention grabbing!

Its funny, cause nowhere in that post does they say the word offended.

You can be disgusted by the thought of something without being offended by it, its not a bad thing either. In my RP sessions ive seen or done things that have made me feel disgusted or angry, its -normal- to feel things when exposed to ideas that -are- awful. Breeding farms? JFC if it was found somebody was running one in real life id be disgusted!! Offended though? No.