So why does ranger gets to have expansion pets outside of the elites?

Shao.7236

@DonArkanio.6419 said:Welp, I actually agree here. I didn't understand that too - why it's just a 24/7 bonus?

It's clear that Expansion pets are a lot stringer than Core ones.

And yeah - the Revenant copy-paste pisses me of. Since it's better than the said class' skill.

Yeah but the issue lies not with the new pets.Pets are easily discardable, CCable and easy to fight against overall.

Only real strong pet is smokescale due to evades and good CC. But it has no real competition. Core pets just generally suck and the scale is just annoying and that's it.

They need to overhaul the pets to be a utility tool. Atm they are just punching bags. And the pets that have utility are cried upon from the whole non-ranger player base (or atleast that vocal part that obviously can't deal with it).

You forgot to mentionhttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Juvenile_SmokescaleSmoke assault on the pet came out at the same time rev did. I could just as easily and uselessly claim that rev copied a ranger pet.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:Why can chrono use rune of the firebrand? That is the same question :D

This!

Why can firebrand use minstrel stats? Why can any pof spec use rune of durability or leadership? Why can pof specs use viper or trailblazer gear?

All the best heal builds are elite specs but rune of the monk is a core dungeon rune. I demand that only core pve healers are allowed to use those runes. /s

There has been 7 years of power creep, partially through gear but also skill and trait balance and new elite specs. Most of those don't buff pets enough to keep up with that power creep. I vaguely recall a dev mentioning that updating core pets is extremely difficult due to the fact that they are also open world mobs which causes problems when they try to change pet animations. Expansion pets are how they upgrade a core mechanic to keep up with power creep without actually buffing core pets.

You forgot to mention
Smoke assault on the pet came out at the same time rev did. I could just as easily and uselessly claim that rev copied a ranger pet.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:Why can chrono use rune of the firebrand? That is the same question :D

This!

Why can firebrand use minstrel stats? Why can any pof spec use rune of durability or leadership? Why can pof specs use viper or trailblazer gear?

All the best heal builds are elite specs but rune of the monk is a core dungeon rune. I demand that only core pve healers are allowed to use those runes. /s

There has been 7 years of power creep, partially through gear but also skill and trait balance and new elite specs. Most of those don't buff pets enough to keep up with that power creep. I vaguely recall a dev mentioning that updating core pets is extremely difficult due to the fact that they are also open world mobs which causes problems when they try to change pet animations. Expansion pets are how they upgrade a core mechanic to keep up with power creep without actually buffing core pets.

And yet Lynx is still go to pet for some versions of condition soulbeast. Not all of those pets are useless

@Shao.7236 said:Doesn't that feel incredibly biased considering the majority runs the same kitten thing? Probably for a reason! Of course it's not to consider how it would be easier to balance things out if decisions were consistent when it comes to adding content into the game because those pets are clearly better than many alternatives and Anet is allowing that to happen.

If it wasn't for copy pasting the most prominent Revenant skill into the Soulbeast skill set that turns into an instant cast of an already powerful professions, I'm pretty sure things would have gone a little less south. Aside being that merging is literally an extra skill and should totally have the ability to grant unblockables anytime it's used, stunbreak wasn't enough!

so should we include stats into this that only stat prefix from expansion for elite specs?

Doesn't really matter, because the Ranger is still going to have pets OUTSIDE of Expanions no matter what. The oldest ranger's have the most unique pet, but not from GW2....but the Hall of Monuments Rewards from GW1. And if you never played gw1, and never did the Hall of Monuments rewards....well your still going to be missing out on a couple of pets.

@ZhouX.8742 said:

@Shao.7236 said:Doesn't that feel incredibly biased considering the majority runs the same kitten thing? Probably for a reason! Of course it's not to consider how it would be easier to balance things out if decisions were consistent when it comes to adding content into the game because those pets are clearly better than many alternatives and Anet is allowing that to happen.

If it wasn't for copy pasting the most prominent Revenant skill into the Soulbeast skill set that turns into an instant cast of an already powerful professions, I'm pretty sure things would have gone a little less south. Aside being that merging is literally an extra skill and should totally have the ability to grant unblockables anytime it's used, stunbreak wasn't enough!

"So why does ranger gets to have expansion pets outside of the elites?"

BC pay $ 4 xpan that why "ranger gets to have expansion pets outside of the elites". No $ then no pet. Yes $ then yes pet. Understndble?

To think Core Ranger is still only relevant because people use Xpac pets, something seems wrong with the Core choices that should maybe be addressed to provide some sort of equivalence in options in different approach, also your statement makes no sense.

I paid to get my expansion but I can't use a Shortbow with Sw/Sh together as my revenant? Where's my Toolbelt Scrapper/Holo Skills for Core engineer? It has became basically fundamental for Rangers to use Smokescales purely for Stealth while Rock Gazelle entirely CC's more than anything else. I say this shouldn't be happening, those strategies should be available in another form to be real.

If u want buff 2 core pet just ask for buff 2 core pet. Core ranger cant use staffs n main dagger, so what now even steven right? If u r sad abt smthing rev and engi then ask 4 nice things in rev and engi spots, not ranger spot. Is that correct?

I have absolutely no problem playing against or with either, the inconsistency is just annoying. It's not like people care to use dagger or staff as ranger anyway since Greatsword and Longbow are such good weapons!

I have never been so happy to play Revenant lately and I think there is still a few things they could change and nerf on it! Don't have to assume everyone is complaining when some things just don't make sense from one design decisions that isn't as obvious as the other. Thanks :)

Because pets aren't tied to class elites - they came out with expansions and they are available in the world as fightable content also, they aren't tied to the class itself. Smokescale doesn't belong to druid and never really did.
There is no inconsistency there, it's intended to be this way.

It's just a pet that had become discovered within the new lands and available to be tamed by the ranger through buying the expansion that you can use whenever and wherever you want and their power compared to vanilla pets are obviously better because of marketing reasons and nothing more.

The expansion gives you the ability to tame the pet, regardless of specialization - it just so happens that we also got elite specializations with the expansion as well. The 2 are not related to each other. In fact, you can go into a HoT zone for example as core ranger and tame a smokescale, because taming pet availability is tied only to expansion - not elite specializations.

This is why you can use pets in any class elite or structure, they're not bound to classes like weapons and traits are. The defining mechanics of ranger for each respective elite are the ability to utilize CA and use staff with druid and the ability to Merge with your pet and use MH dagger with Soulbeast. Those are tied utilizations , pets aren't, again, since they're not tied to a specific elite.

You said the weapon argument isn't relevant because rangers already use longbow and greatsword. The types of weapons are irrelevant in your argument, it's whether they can be used without being forced to take a specific elite and was your example in regards to pet usability. Revenant and Ranger are equal in this regard, as weapon usability is tied to the elite profession mechanic, same with traits and unique utility, heals, etc. Again, pets aren't tied to classes, they're tied to the worlds released by the expansions.

BC pay $ 4 xpan that why "ranger gets to have expansion pets outside of the elites". No $ then no pet. Yes $ then yes pet. Understndble?

To think Core Ranger is still only relevant because people use Xpac pets, something seems wrong with the Core choices that should maybe be addressed to provide some sort of equivalence in options in different approach, also your statement makes no sense.

I paid to get my expansion but I can't use a Shortbow with Sw/Sh together as my revenant? Where's my Toolbelt Scrapper/Holo Skills for Core engineer? It has became basically fundamental for Rangers to use Smokescales purely for Stealth while Rock Gazelle entirely CC's more than anything else. I say this shouldn't be happening, those strategies should be available in another form to be real.

If u want buff 2 core pet just ask for buff 2 core pet. Core ranger cant use staffs n main dagger, so what now even steven right? If u r sad abt smthing rev and engi then ask 4 nice things in rev and engi spots, not ranger spot. Is that correct?

I have absolutely no problem playing against or with either, the inconsistency is just annoying. It's not like people care to use dagger or staff as ranger anyway since Greatsword and Longbow are such good weapons!

I have never been so happy to play Revenant lately and I think there is still a few things they could change and nerf on it! Don't have to assume everyone is complaining when some things just don't make sense from one design decisions that isn't as obvious as the other. Thanks :)

Because pets aren't tied to class elites - they came out with expansions and they are available in the world as fightable content also, they aren't tied to the class itself. Smokescale doesn't belong to druid and never really did.

It's just a pet that had become discovered within the new lands and available to be tamed by the ranger through buying the expansion that you can use whenever and wherever you want and their power compared to vanilla pets are obviously better because of marketing reasons and nothing more.

The expansion gives you the ability to tame the pet, regardless of specialization - it just so happens that we also got elite specializations with the expansion as well. The 2 are not related to each other. In fact, you can go into a HoT zone for example as core ranger and tame a smokescale, because taming pet availability is tied only to expansion - not elite specializations.

This is why you can use pets in any class elite or structure, they're not bound to classes like weapons and traits are. The defining mechanics of ranger for each respective elite are the ability to utilize CA and use staff with druid and the ability to Merge with your pet and use MH dagger with Soulbeast. Those are tied utilizations , pets aren't, again, since they're not tied to a specific elite.

You said the weapon argument isn't relevant because rangers already use longbow and greatsword. The types of weapons are irrelevant in your argument, it's whether they can be used without being forced to take a specific elite and was your example in regards to pet usability. Revenant and Ranger are equal in this regard, as weapon usability is tied to the elite profession mechanic, same with traits and unique utility, heals, etc. Again, pets aren't tied to classes, they're tied to the worlds released by the expansions.

Your post is irrelevant itself if you don't keep up with the conversation, just saying. You're late to the topic.

@Shao.7236 said:

Your post is irrelevant itself if you don't keep up with the conversation, just saying. You're late to the topic.

Your post was irrelevant to begin with because you don't use common sense and need other people to explain these concepts to you like a 5 year old when really you're just ultimately trying to prove a point that doesn't exist to get some mechanic nerfed because you failed to do a simple wiki research to understand the reasons behind it.

But I think everybody here knows the real point, hence why you don't want to accept said reasons why rangers use expansion-wide pets in variate classes from multiple expansions, you'e just annoyed by them and want them gutted entirely and gated behind specific elites when they literally avoided this concept to begin with for a reason.

Bad players usually resort to these kinds of topics, because they're just bad and it's easier to veil nerf requests through questions like this instead of just getting better at the game, even when those questions have a legitimate answer/reason for doing what they did, and why they made pets outside of expansion elite requirements.

I suggest getting better at the game than making wonky attempts to get pets nerfed. It would be a legitimate question though if pets were tied to elites, but they're not.

@Shao.7236 said:Your post is irrelevant itself if you don't keep up with the conversation, just saying. You're late to the topic.

You have yet to give a good answer to what I told you over a month ago, so maybe you should zip it already.

If any other class had AI minions as a part of their core profession mechanic, Anet would surely either buff those minions or introduce new ones for that class aswell. It only so happens that Ranger is the only pet class in the game, and they picked the latter option. Core pets have barely been touched in a balance patch, ever.

Be happy you don't main a profession with a neglected AI mechanic that will always be a part of the profession regardless of elite spec, instead of crying about how one of the pets' skill is similar to your precious Revenant skill.

@"Shao.7236" said:Your post is irrelevant itself if you don't keep up with the conversation, just saying. You're late to the topic.

Well, players above my comment already answer you to this.But, I want to mention another 3 things, which you can link it with the answers to your question "why does ranger gets to have expansion pets outside of the elites?"

1. Ranger is the only class in this game, who should do some Meta events, going in some hidden spots, to fulfill his class/elite. One of the best pet, Smokescale can be tamed only after the :"The Juvenile Smokescale will only spawn if Teku Nuhoch has reached max strength (all meta events at outpost complete)" or "A Juvenile Smokescale will only spawn after SCAR Field Operations reach max strength. " So if you are not lucky to find a group/raid who can do this meta events, you are not able to tamed this pet, not even you are the best player in the game.
  2. Even after 7 years, pets are not fully fixed, none of them! They are still running too far in front or behind you, and some times takes few secs till they engage the enemy, if you jumped from a cliff and attacked an enemy, your pet will go around on a reachable path to the enemy, or sometimes will teleport near you, after you already are engaged in the fight with the enemy. All these seconds sometimes could make the difference between life and death, in a PVP fight.
  3. They allow the ranger to get expansion pets outside of the elite, to make the rangers, druids, to have a purpose in the new expansion, even they don't want to play new elite. Like I already said, to have a new pet from the new expansion, you need to discover/run/fight on the new maps, and sometimes it is pretty hard, even for an experienced ranger. Could you tell me please any other class who must do something more than use heroes points to fullfil his elite?

You forgot to mention
Smoke assault on the pet came out at the same time rev did. I could just as easily and uselessly claim that rev copied a ranger pet.

This!

And yet Lynx is still go to pet for some versions of condition soulbeast. Not all of those pets are useless

Lynx or warthog are meta. True, but I'd argue that proves my point. They are only meta for their merged abilities and not the core pet itself. You're never supposed to unmerge. In contrast, the pof iboga is also meta for condi sb and you intentionally unmerge with the iboga during your rotation for a dps increase.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

@"Shao.7236" said:Your post is irrelevant itself if you don't keep up with the conversation, just saying. You're late to the topic.

Well, players above my comment already answer you to this.But, I want to mention another 3 things, which you can link it with the answers to your question "why does ranger gets to have expansion pets outside of the elites?"
  1. Ranger is the only class in this game, who should do some Meta events, going in some hidden spots, to fulfill his class/elite. One of the best pet, Smokescale can be tamed only after the :"The Juvenile Smokescale will only spawn if Teku Nuhoch has reached max strength (all meta events at outpost complete)" or "A Juvenile Smokescale will only spawn after SCAR Field Operations reach max strength. " So if you are not lucky to find a group/raid who can do this meta events, you are not able to tamed this pet, not even you are the best player in the game.
  2. Even after 7 years, pets are not fully fixed, none of them! They are still running too far in front or behind you, and some times takes few secs till they engage the enemy, if you jumped from a cliff and attacked an enemy, your pet will go around on a reachable path to the enemy, or sometimes will teleport near you, after you already are engaged in the fight with the enemy. All these seconds sometimes could make the difference between life and death, in a PVP fight.
  3. They allow the ranger to get expansion pets outside of the elite, to make the rangers, druids, to have a purpose in the new expansion, even they don't want to play new elite. Like I already said, to have a new pet from the new expansion, you need to discover/run/fight on the new maps, and sometimes it is pretty hard, even for an experienced ranger. Could you tell me please any other class who must do something more than use heroes points to fullfil his elite?

All in all, my very concern is that a F2P ranger which is bound to core, cannot do the same as a core ranger with pets that are outside the F2P area because some of the xpac pet skills are unique instead of being a variant.

@DuckDuckBOOM.4097 said:Lynx or warthog are meta. True, but I'd argue that proves my point. They are only meta for their merged abilities and not the core pet itself. You're never supposed to unmerge. In contrast, the pof iboga is also meta for condi sb and you intentionally unmerge with the iboga during your rotation for a dps increase.

To be fair, the lynx is pretty far up for any pve condi build on ranger.

But that says nothing about the general state of core pets. It only says something about the dps potential of felines in pve. Give them a good F2 and they hold up, to a certain extent at the very least.

You forgot to mention

This!

Lynx or warthog are meta. True, but I'd argue that proves my point. They are only meta for their merged abilities and not the core pet itself. You're never supposed to unmerge. In contrast, the pof iboga is also meta for condi sb and you intentionally unmerge with the iboga during your rotation for a dps increase.

I dont see any problem there. In pve you use either druid or soulbeast. That is not pets fault but core rangers problem. With soulbeast you merge. The reason why you unmerge with iboga is confusion. Any other pet will not be unmerged for longer time.Druid takes best utility or best cc pets. I think if you play condi druid then you take either iboga or lynx. Many expansion ones are also usless. Yee, most meta pets are from expansions but not all of them. Some small reworks would be nice but in my opinion not that needed.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:That is not pets fault but core rangers problem.

Ehh. The only (Pve) problem core ranger has - excluding the need for some love to the skirmishing and marksmanship lines, and a couple of skills - is the literally the pet. SB works because you bypass the pet in favor of better stats and more modifiers, druid works because it doesn't care about the damge, you just pick the utility (which is most often CC).

It speaks for itself if Anet is gradually buffing every aspect of the core classes except for one mechanic belonging to one class: pets. They fall behind the powercreep, and a lot of them were already weak back in 2012. The only two good things Anet has done for core ranger as far as its mechanic goes is 1) when they revamped specializations prior to HoT and made Beastmastery good (sort of, some of the major traits are iffy) and 2) letting the core class use the expansion pets (which should be taken for granted, but still).