The biggest problem Guild Wars 2 will face...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"JusticeRetroHunter.7684" said:I wrote this as a comment to already to another thread...after writing i realized how important it is for me to just say it, to the PVE population in general. i read through a few other threads that seem to touch on this, but not really getting the full picture and the extent to which how bad this problem has/is and will be for gw2.

The ProblemThis game is too self-sufficient, and there is a lack of community interaction.

I disagree. I have lots of community interaction whenever I want.

Why is everyone so quiet? The maps are full they have people in them...but nobody is talking. Why does this bother me so much? It's because there's no reason for people to talk to each other...there's absolutely no mechanisms in place to encourage player to player interaction. 

quiet? hahaha

1) QuestingQuesting is so braindead simple in these zones, that there is no need for anyone to go out and find groups of people. And when there are groupings of people, like near bosses, the bosses are so braindead simple to beat, that you can just auto-attack them and they will eventually die. There's no need to discuss tactics, strategies, or trouble shoot problems, or solve puzzles...

well, they are STARTER BOSSES. Braindead is exactly what you need to ease people into the game. Which starts at level 80.

3) Lack of PvP interaction in PVEThis is actually a "hot topic of debate."

no, it is not. It is not a 'hot topic'. Just because some 'I want to gank easy newbie victims' try hard to make it one, does not make it so.

and a back and forth battle between PVE'ers and PVP'ers. What people don't realize is that dueling zones are actually really important to building communities and serve as a critical mechanism that introduces newer players into content that they would have otherwise been clueless about.

really? If duelling would be so important for communities, why are game modes like pvp and wvw struggling? Maybe because people want to hang out, talk, do this and that and look pretty?

The main argument against this is that PVE'ers will be "ganked" while doing PVE activities...but this is simply a misguided view on what dueling areas actually are. Dueling areas are specific zones within a town, in which duels can only happen when two players agree to fight one another.

so... guild halls? Custom Arenas? Obsidian Sanctum?

really, nothing you wrote made any sense for me. If people want to duel, they can. No need for openworld pvp. The only reason someone wants stuff like this is to gank ungeared newbies.

I have seen it before. Thanks but no thanks.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Not sure this is a problem than it's actually a characteristic of the community. It BECOMES a problem if Anet start introducing content that doesn't align with these characteristics.

Disagree, if this wasnt an mmo then sure but since its an mmo i believe such content has place in it.

and I believe you are wrong.

oh my, 'believe'. How about 'ganking newbies results in empty maps and dead games'? Which does have have been observed? If you hate 'safe' PVE so much, why don't you go and play a pvpve game? I am sure you will have lots of fun being jumped by max level, max geared characters while you are still trying to farm rabbits.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Not sure this is a problem than it's actually a characteristic of the community. It BECOMES a problem if Anet start introducing content that doesn't align with these characteristics.

Disagree, if this wasnt an mmo then sure but since its an mmo i believe such content has place in it.

and I believe you are wrong.

oh my, 'believe'. How about 'ganking newbies results in empty maps and dead games'? Which does have have been observed? If you hate 'safe' PVE so much, why don't you go and play a pvpve game? I am sure you will have lots of fun being jumped by max level, max geared characters while you are still trying to farm rabbits.

I wasnt refering to pvp but even that has evolved to not result in newbies getting ganked.

@zealex.9410 said:

I'm not really defining any content so not sure what the disagreement is about here. If the community has a characteristic that generally defines it, there wouldn't be a faster way for Anet to fail than introducing content that is in direct opposition to that characteristic. That's what almost killed HoT as one example.

@Obtena.7952 said:

I'm not really defining any content so not sure what the disagreement is about here. If the community has a characteristic that generally defines it, there wouldn't be a faster way for Anet to fail than introducing content that is in direct opposition to that characteristic. That's what almost killed HoT as one example.

Oh and here i though 9 months of neglect for ow pve and and terrible pvp balance gave hot a bad name. Tho im not sure what you mean by killed, i saw plenty of ppl running around during hot, ow and instanced content alike.

First, queensdale isn't the place for chat. Hang out in Sparkfly Fen about thirty minutes before Tequatl. Or an active Dragonstand. Or well, ANY map where Skyscale currency is being farmed. Or actually about any map after the starter ones. Lions Arch is always busy, Mistlock Sanctuary too.

Second, uh, why do I WANT social interaction for crafting??? I don't! Yes crafting is boring. It is in every game, but the LAST thing you want is to be stuck unable to make something because someone else isn't around. Just let me make my armor and be ready for what I wanted to be ready for in peace.

Lastly, the things you mention about getting your Firebrand friend ready for wvw for would NOT be solved by dueling. Nor by him leveling the long way. You don't magically get crafting up, or ascended amor, or the specializations. You are 80 somewhere before hitting Orr, and that's going slow. And still not ready for wvw.

Especially on a support Firebrand. Why didn't you have him go roaming Soulbeast(the two of you together could do that from day one), or make a Scourge? You can BUY the exotics for that). Firebrand is literally the most expensive wvw class, AND support, so fewer bags, AND not all that easy to play well, AND pretty important to the zerg that they DO play well.

@zealex.9410 said:

Oh and here i though 9 months of neglect for ow pve and and terrible pvp balance gave hot a bad name. Tho im not sure what you mean by killed, i saw plenty of ppl running around during hot, ow and instanced content alike.

I guess you don't understand what almost means.

The fact is that the biggest problems GW2 faces aren't the characteristics that generally define the players. You're talking about some kind of content that has a place in it ... maybe you are talking to yourself because I never specified content.

There used to be much more chat interaction in the past. I think its more a culture problem of this time. Earlier gw 2 days and much more gw 1 had more thight communities. Remember standing in the gw 1 ascalon city, and there where always a group of talketive people for years. Familier faces, which would always help you with content also. Times have changed, everything is more self centered and haste these times. It seems that mounts have worsened this, too many people are always in mount full speed hyper mode and ignore everyone and everything. I think there is a connection with the age of smartphones, the new generation (not all but many) always in their smartphone world, no social interaction, just ignoring others. No real connection to the world.

@"particlepinata.9865" said:There used to be much more chat interaction in the past. I think its more a culture problem of this time. Earlier gw 2 days and much more gw 1 had more thight communities. Remember standing in the gw 1 ascalon city, and there where always a group of talketive people for years. Familier faces, which would always help you with content also. Times have changed, everything is more self centered and haste these times. It seems that mounts have worsened this, too many people are always in mount full speed hyper mode and ignore everyone and everything. I think it has to do with the age of smartphones, the new generation (not all but many) always in their smartphone world, no social interaction, just ignoring others. No real connection to the world.

In GW1 i left AC as soon as i could, i hated that freaking town, i -do- remember LA having a bunch of people standing around not talking unless it was to sell stuff, actually thats what i remember most about cities in GW1, it was used as a place to sell items, runs and every so often to get a group together; the last one until they added heroes. I never needed another person in GW1 after heroes got added, thank goodness as the waiting around for a freaking healer was killer. I dont even remember anybody i really played with in that game either, as i only used them to complete missions and move on.

Theres still plenty of chat interactions in GW2, but its in the zones and maps that require it. Starter zones, and cities arent really the place for interactions as theres -nothing- going on that people need help with. Theres plenty interaction in the level 80 maps where you -need- more than one person to do quite a few of the events.

BC, LA, and DR are the exceptions ive seen -tons- of interacting going on due to the RPers that inhabit those cities. Is it thrown out in map chat? No, but it doesnt need to be.

Personally zip by loads of people while mounted, not because im selfish or not paying attention, but because unless they ask for help theres no good reason to interfere in what they are doing.

Also Its funny cause this "new generation" are probably interacting with more people than would be possible in "the glorious old days", and those connections are just as real as a random conversation i have with a stranger which ill forget about in 2 hours.

They should put an ingame voice in gw2, just a simple click to join and talk to your squad, most people arent going to jump on discord for just pugs. Its a third party software and some players dont want to have to go outside the game to download it , then have to alt out of the game to start it.

@Obtena.7952 said:

The fact is that the biggest problems GW2 faces aren't the characteristics that generally define the players. You're talking about some kind of content that has a place in it ... maybe you are talking to yourself because I never specified content.

You spoke about content that doesnt go in line with the "characteristic" of the community to which i said the game is an mmo and such content is vital for mmos.

@zealex.9410 said:

You spoke about content that doesnt go in line with the "characteristic" of the community to which i said the game is an mmo and such content is vital for mmos.

And wasent that talking about adding pvp to pve maps as an example.The pvp go against the characteristics of pve.

@"particlepinata.9865" said:There used to be much more chat interaction in the past. I think its more a culture problem of this time. Earlier gw 2 days and much more gw 1 had more thight communities. Remember standing in the gw 1 ascalon city, and there where always a group of talketive people for years. Familier faces, which would always help you with content also. Times have changed, everything is more self centered and haste these times. It seems that mounts have worsened this, too many people are always in mount full speed hyper mode and ignore everyone and everything. I think there is a connection with the age of smartphones, the new generation (not all but many) always in their smartphone world, no social interaction, just ignoring others. No real connection to the world.

Ya, i was apart of that community in gw1 ascolon. It's one of the things i remember the most and is definitely a motivator behind me inquiring about the state of interaction in gw2. People just don't "hang out" anymore.

Remember we also had the Mctigger's in Hero's Ascent Lobby. (For those that don't know it was some guy multiboxing, and just had like 9 characters named in some variation of McTigger, that just stood in Hero's Ascent 8v8 lobby...usually synchronized dancing)

We also had Spamadon...which was funny because it was a city that was appointed by the community to be the primary hub for trade...buying and selling goods. What made this place kind of cool was that every seller was trying to one up their competition, so they would do things that make them stand out from everyone else...Some sellers multiboxed wearing the same armor on all chars and coloring each one to make a rainbow...others took tonics to make them gigantic, and there's many other things sellers did just to stand out and be unique among the sea of competitors.

Every city basically had their own community of friendly /say chatters that made that city feel more alive and welcoming. Piken square was pretty interesting too sometimes.

I'm with you, OP, for the most part. There is a lack of community interaction and content in gw2 being that it caters to a more single-player minded audience. Still. some does exist, it's just not in the open world but in the cities. Go to Divinity's Reach or Lion's Arch, you'll see chats popping. You'll see people playing music, you'll see people showing off and commenting on skins. Honestly, being a gw1 player myself, I prefer DR to Spamadan, it's just more organic compared to hawking minis by being more outlandish than the person next to you! I don't know what people ever saw in that!

That being said, yeah, the open world is lacking. Questing? Yup, braindead. Meta events are pretty much farms that require little coordination. Hearts are just a chore to do by yourself, you don't even need a group. On crafting? Yup, it's boring. One gigantic list to sort through to get what I'm looking for. So gigantic, the crafting station even has a search box! lmao. That's a problem!

Now on open world pvp in pve, that I do not support. It's not because pve players are "carebears", but it's simply because not everybody likes pvp. Also, by bringing it to pve, you bring the poison with it. Yup, going there...gankers, trolls....farming new people at the starting areas. Honestly MMOs, at the very least, learned that lesson long ago that mixing pve with pvp is bad for business. Keep them separate. The thing with open world pve is that it mostly doesn't encourage any type of group play, minus dungeons, fractals or raids, it's mostly tailored for the individual. Really, the answer is not to import pvp to pve and competition, but to make pve more cooperative.

@Cronospere.8143 said:Real question though. Is it this game?Or is it the new generation of gamers?

Although people can connect easier, they are more apart from eachother than ever. These youngsters just don't know how..Not sure if it's really a new generation ... most people I know that prefer GW2 to more traditional MMOs (especially in the sense of being forced to group up to get stuff done) are actually older gamers that have extensively played games that force grouping in the past, and prefer to play a game that allows them to group whenever and however they like these days.

Is the OP's analysis correct? I can see that the lack of enforcement for "community" interaction in GW2 is a problem for some people. In that sense, sure.

On the other hand, the game has been this way for seven years. The OP's problem is apparently not a problem for a lot of people. The people I play with have their own community. Chat in game is sporadic, but over Discord it is very lively.

That said, even if some wish that the game was closer to what the the OP wishes, this is hardly the "biggest problem GW2 faces." Surely, neglect of PvP and WvW independent of whether it's more community oriented, relative lack of various player groups preferred content, and lack of what people consider essential features do more to cause people to go elsewhere than the game being too self-sufficient. I've seen two guilds fall apart. The first was a long time ago, and people left because competing PvP games did PvP way better than GW2. The other one fell apart during the post-HoT drought.

@"IndigoSundown.5419" said:Is the OP's analysis correct? I can see that the lack of enforcement for "community" interaction in GW2 is a problem for some people. In that sense, sure.

On the other hand, the game has been this way for seven years. The OP's problem is apparently not a problem for a lot of people. The people I play with have their own community. Chat in game is sporadic, but over Discord it is very lively.

That said, even if some wish that the game was closer to what the the OP wishes, this is hardly the "biggest problem GW2 faces." Surely, neglect of PvP and WvW independent of whether it's more community oriented, relative lack of various player groups preferred content, and lack of what people consider essential features do more to cause people to go elsewhere than the game being too self-sufficient. I've seen two guilds fall apart. The first was a long time ago, and people left because competing PvP games did PvP way better than GW2. The other one fell apart during the post-HoT drought.

Just my opinon, but the only reason Pvp and Wvw is still alive is because of the community, and the combat.

Even when the combat has boiled down to what is essentially meme one shot builds in today's meta, people still play, and it's mostly because of our friends and just interaction in general...it keeps the game fresh when people still have a myriad of things to talk about that stem from the mechanics of the game itself.

Pvp interaction is somewhat of a different monster to talk about. The lobby itself is a place where players are forced to gather around and sit in que waiting to play their games, and so we have community interaction here quiet often. If you are wondering why more and more people have left over the years...it's simply because everyone we know is leaving. The less friends, the less interaction, and the more people leave, and the effect cascades until pvp will eventually die.

There is actually a bit more to it than that, which contributed to there being less interaction, the first being the rework of the map lobby. Not sure if you remember the old lobby, but the old lobby had less, physically isolated places. The new map they introduced for the lobby has many more places of isolation and segmentation, which causes there to be less /say chat interaction, believe it or not...This is why MOST of the conversations occurs in /map chat in comparison to the previous lobby, which many conversations were in /say chat because players were physically closer to each other.

Other reasons include isolation of things in general. Dueling servers are amazing places, but they are slave to an entirely isolated system which has always been a driving force that leads dueling SERVERS to death. I don't know if you notice this but if you enter a duel server with 1 or 2 people, it will normally stay one or two people for close to an hour. As people come in, as long as you have people stay, the frequency of which players enter the server increases exponentially (usually) until the server maxes out. Then after about an hour or two, people start leaving and likewise as people begin to leave, the velocity of the server population will drop depending on how many people stay verse how many people leave. The more interactive the atmosphere in the duel server, the more likely it is for people to stay, which in turn keep the population capped out at 25 people for longer periods of time. This was the driving force for duel servers (and hotjoin's) a while back when more pvper's who frequent the arenas were online.

But as you guessed it, Duel server are now extremely empty most of the time. It's because the pvper's who usto frequent these arenas have essentially left pvp, and what we have are duel servers that normally have around 1-5 people that don't stay long enough for it cap out. Hot Joins are now completely gone...as nobody from those days are around to kick them off... it's because of the server system being isolated. It's another reason duelers want open world dueling areas...it's because our current system is so isolated that we can't even find others to duel anymore. It's always been a big problem and I've known about it for a long time, and that it would be the eventual downfall to the server system.

Because people are on meta trains on whatever the latest map is. I remember sitting in LA one time for about an hour and 1 person in that whole time said about one line.

They may talk on discord or only via guild but it can feel a little lifeless if a new player goes into a city and despite a ton of people being around no one is talking.

@Zuldari.3940 said:They should put an ingame voice in gw2, just a simple click to join and talk to your squad, most people arent going to jump on discord for just pugs. Its a third party software and some players dont want to have to go outside the game to download it , then have to alt out of the game to start it.

Adding voice chat might not be expensive, but the ongoing support would be. They'd have to ensure the quality and functionality meet the requirements of as many players as possible, and they'd have to moderate it for bad behaviour and spambots.