So what is even the future of this game?

@ErikTheTyrant.4527 said:I can't help but feel that these kinds of posts are just other mmo users who want to try and sabotage gw2. They just try to make the game seem like its dying even though it's not.

nop

Tons of people leaving, my guild which is raid guild is almost dead. From my old static, only 2 of us are still playing. Same goes for WvW guilds, alot of people leaving.

Ofc. its only hardcore/veterans that are leaving, but that is still a big problem.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@JTGuevara.9018 said:What I notice about gw2 is the disturbing lack of group content. I'm not even talking about hard content like fractals or raids, just general group content: something that is so basic regarding MMOs.Indeed. What this game lacks is not the hardcore group content, but the soft/midcore one. Dungeons might have filled that niche, but unfortunately they were abandoned. Fractals might have been that, but Anet decided to go more hardcore with them instead. And guild content... well, there was never much of it in the first place, and even that was very long time ago.

@LucianDK.8615 said:I sincerely doubt ls5 will follow the past living story model. Wait with crying that the sky is falling down before seeing their announcement on aug 30. Until then we just have to wait.And then we'll keep hearing that we should wait till LS5 is over before complaining. And then we'll be 2 years in the future, and it will be too late to complain.

@maidiance.6920 said:Unfortunately, the guild team (the devs making content for guilds) is no longer with Anet.There was never any guild team to begin with. All guild content was being done by other teams. That has been confirmed shortly after HoT when people started asking about the improvements to guild missions.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@zealex.9410 said:On the subject of group play, one of the things that i saw in ff14 is how they tie such group activities with their story content. Like for example, the player needs to go kill some powerful god like being because its trouble if left unchecked, bam you get a dungeon (4man) mission to do that. Similarly the big steps of their story for example the climax boss is an 8 man encounter.We used to have that at the end of the personal story (Arah story mode). ANet made the concious decision to remove that requirement and replace it with a single-player story instance, to allow but no longer require grouping to finish the story.That's because (unlike in FF XIV) there is absolutely no incentive for veteran players to do any of the story modes again. When we add this to Arah Story being a total snorefest, and very long to boot, it's no surprising that newer players found it harder and harder to find anyone to run it with. And so, Anet, instead of making it worthwhile for veterans to help out, decided that they'd rather make it into solo-mode.

@Goettel.4389 said:Only thing I do is group content, you might have missed it. Use LFG.

Even better: Use a commander (or Mentor) Tag. That gathers groups in Open-World quite fast, commander & LFG together even better.

And I don't worry if raids and the rest of the DPS-community dies out :) I would rather see it as gain (less toxic people) than as problem.

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:Only thing I do is group content, you might have missed it. Use LFG.

Even better: Use a commander (or Mentor) Tag. That gathers groups in Open-World quite fast, commander & LFG together even better.

And I don't worry if raids and the rest of the DPS-community dies out :) I would rather see it as gain (less toxic people) than as problem.

gain???? GAIN????!!???!!?

poor casual soul...Hardcore community dies= game dies.

@vyncius.6105 said:

poor casual soul...Maybe, maybe not, but definitely allergic against the attitude of many hardcore player.Hardcore community dies= game dies.Pfft, GW2 exist long time without raids and DPS Meter ;)

@Dayra.7405 said:

poor casual soul...Maybe, maybe not, but definitely allergic against the attitude of many hardcore player.Hardcore community dies= game dies.Pfft, GW2 exist long time without raids and DPS Meter ;)

hardcore community dies, and you will be left w/o snowcrows guides/builds etc...content creators/streamers, most of them are hardcore, no more of them equals to no more gw2 pressence in youtube, twitch etc.So, no more new players which leads to casual community dieing too.

End of guild wars

@vyncius.6105 said:

@"Goettel.4389" said:Only thing I do is group content, you might have missed it. Use LFG.

hardcore community dies, and you will be left w/o snowcrows guides/builds etc...content creators/streamers, most of them are hardcore, no more of them equals to no more gw2 pressence in youtube, twitch etc.So, no more new players which leads to casual community dieing too.

End of guild wars

You see, there is a simple fact you're ignoring about the casual playerbase: they don't use the guides and builds.The youtube and twitch presence of GW2 is already small enough that it doesn't matter for new players.

You're actually delusional if you think the hardcore community is "carrying" the game.

@Raknar.4735 said:

@"Goettel.4389" said:Only thing I do is group content, you might have missed it. Use LFG.

End of guild wars

You see, there is a simple fact you're ignoring about the casual playerbase: they don't use the guides and builds.The youtube and twitch presence of GW2 is already small enough that it doesn't matter for new players.

You're actually delusional if you think the hardcore community is "carrying" the game.

it doesnt matter how small that community is, but they are making these videos to promote gw2, because anet cant do that themself.Its only advertisment gw2 has, by content creators.How people start playing games?

1. Some friend offers them to try out.
  2. They see some video on youtube with a title "is it worth playing gw2 in 2019?". They get pros and cons of gw2, they check some pvp videos, pve videos and decide if its worth or not.Atleast thats how most people find games to play, me included

Let me give you two typical examples from GW2:

EotM vs WvW:Hardcore played WvW, Casuals preferred EotM.WvW was dieing, EotM was alive, Hardcore's were upset and complained a lot that they run out of easy kills and follower they can shout down to feel betterANet decided to follow the hardcore cries and killed EotM by denying PIPS to it. EotM died immediately, WvW still dies as well.

Dungeon were completely unplayable at the beginning, when the hardcores played it. Then the hardcores moved to the new Fractals, and dungeons became fun to play. There hardcore's complained that they didn't found parties, the rewards of dungeons got nerved, Hardcores continued complaining, but dungeons where dead as well.

So whenever Anet followed Hardcores crying the game got worser and emptier.Time to get rid of the hardcores, and the best first step: kill the DPS-meter.

@vyncius.6105 said:

End of guild wars

it doesnt matter how small that community is, but they are making these videos to promote gw2, because anet cant do that themself.Its only advertisment gw2 has, by content creators.How people start playing games?
  2. They see some video on youtube with a title "is it worth playing gw2 in 2019?". They get pros and cons of gw2, they check some pvp videos, pve videos and decide if its worth or not.Atleast thats how most people find games to play, me included

You're basically saying that only "hardcore" people make videos, which is not true. Most of the "best MMORPG to play in 20XX" videos are by people that jump from one MMO to another.You'd be stunned by how many people just see the game in a store and just buy it. I think you're vastly overestimating the value of "hardcore" communities in games.

@Raknar.4735 said:

End of guild wars

You're basically saying that only "hardcore" people make videos, which is not true. Most of the "best MMORPG to play in 20XX" videos are by people that jump from one MMO to another.You'd be stunned by how many people just see the game in a store and just buy it. I think you're vastly overestimating the value of "hardcore" communities in games.

videos with a title "is it worth playing gw2" made by 3 youtubers:

1.Jawgeous- doesnt play anymore, bad pvp balancing and anet ignoring pvp scene entirely led him to leave.2.Kyosika- still plays, hardcore player.3.LazyPeon- was only interested in WvW, quit the game because of bad wvw balance.

@vyncius.6105 said:

End of guild wars

1.Jawgeous- doesnt play anymore, bad pvp balancing and anet ignoring pvp scene entirely led him to leave.2.Kyosika- still plays, hardcore player.3.LazyPeon- was only interested in WvW, quit the game because of bad wvw balance.

I just typed in "is gw2 worth playing 2019" in google, and i already see way more videos:

Eddzshed - GW2 in 2019? Is it worth playing - Returned to the gameTinyBlueGames - Guild Wars 2 in 2019? | The Future of GW2EvilDoUsHarm - [Guild Wars 2] First Impressions: Worth Playing in 2019? - completely new

And that's just 3 i picked out randomly.

@Raknar.4735 said:

End of guild wars

I just typed in "is gw2 worth playing 2019" in google, and i already see way more videos:

Eddzshed - GW2 in 2019? Is it worth playing - Returned to the gameTinyBlueGames - Guild Wars 2 in 2019? | The Future of GW2EvilDoUsHarm - [Guild Wars 2] First Impressions: Worth Playing in 2019? - completely new

ive picked top 3 from youtube, 2 of your mentioned not even in first page

@vyncius.6105 said:

End of guild wars

ive picked top 3 from youtube, 2 of your mentioned not even in first page

They are on the first page

https://imgur.com/6QiHZ6M

@Raknar.4735 said:Your echo chamber is showing. Most casuals don't care about the hardcore community, about raids, about most things. Why should they play content that is unfun to them? They don't want rewards, they want fun.

For me the point is: I do not like to play where people judge my build, my DPS.I will play raids, should the DPS-meter user, the rage quitter and party kicker go somewhere else, but I will stay away as long as they are there.

@Dayra.7405 said:

@"Raknar.4735" said:Your echo chamber is showing. Most casuals don't care about the hardcore community, about raids, about most things. Why should they play content that is unfun to them? They don't want rewards, they want fun.

For me the point is: I do not like to play where people judge my build, my DPS.I will play raids, should the DPS-meter user, the rage quitter and party kicker go somewhere else, but I will stay away as long as they are there.

I'm going to be honest here: This is something that will not change.If you're doing content designed for coordinated groups with a random group instead of a static, the others will want you to "carry your weight". The easiest way to gauge that is via DPS-meters. The encounters in GW2 are mostly based on timers, so the bosses themselves become a dps-check (even though the timer isn't that punishing, with good rotations/dps the timer is meaningless).

Another reason there's such a large discrepancy between the dps ("Players that know what they are doing do 500% more damage") is the gear. More precisely gear stats in GW2. While in WoW you mostly have the same stats, and new gear is just an upgrade, in GW2 you have gear that could be called "sidegrade".While there are a lot of different stats, few are really necessary for raids, while the others are "worthless" to the group.It is even more harmful to have gear with e.g. Toughness, since most enemies focus the player with the most toughness, unless they have a special mechanic like Slothasor.Basically what i'm trying to say: If you're not using purely dps-stats (ignoring support specs to simplify here), you're wasting stats. The gear system is more complicated, because you don't just equip "better gear" like in WoW.

For the DPS-meter to vanish completely from PUG-raids, the content would have to be so easy you can complete it without coordination (Secret Lair of the Snowmen comes to mind). I don't think that's good for raids, they should be a niche for players that want coordinated encounters.The content should still first and foremost be created for players that want coordinated content, easy modes that don't need a special group composition can be added to make casuals care more about raids, increasing revenue they bring, creating a bond between casuals, raids and the hardcore community.

@Raknar.4735 said:I'm going to be honest here: This is something that will not change.

No problem, I just remembered there was a second point that kept me away from raids (I tried a few times guild internal raid-teaching attempts):Getting 10 people with fitting roles/builds took ages. Don'r really believe that it will be faster with public random groups.

And for what? Just to root-learn a lengthy complicated choreographie? The best raid-Group will always be a set of synchronized programmed makro :)

So yes: raids will not be my gw2-future, Open-world & WvW have better fit to my interests.

@Astralporing.1957 said:Fractals might have been that, but Anet decided to go more hardcore with them instead.

Tiers 1 to 3 dont exist now?

That's because (unlike in FF XIV) there is absolutely no incentive for veteran players to do any of the story modes again. When we add this to Arah Story being a total snorefest, and very long to boot, it's no surprising that newer players found it harder and harder to find anyone to run it with. And so, Anet, instead of making it worthwhile for veterans to help out, decided that they'd rather make it into solo-mode.

These multiplerson instances in ff14 are idd repeatable and through roulletes u can do the synced for your dailies.

People seem to have this "casual vs hardcore" mentality when discussing gw2 content and its future. In terms of content creation, yes it makes sense to cater the majority of content to the casual playerbase since they make up the vast majority of gw2 players. However, going 3-6 years with no content in wvw and pvp, having a 9 month wait for a new raid, 6 months for new fractals, the "end game" has become incredible stale for a large number of casual and hardcore players alike. LW episodes have little to no replay-ability, and occupies most people for a few days to a week. People like new stimulating content, and farming meta events or achievements does not satisfy everyone for months-years. I would think that everyone could agree that gw2 has been taken in a poor direction, since a game that focuses on horizontal progression relies on being able to reuse old content (Core world bosses, HoT metas, etc). Players have very little reason to return to PoF and living world areas, creating empty maps and zero player presence in LFG/group events unless people are forced back one time to unlock something like a new mount.

Currently it seems like the main focus of the game is the gem store, where most of the new weapon and armor skins are acquired through gems and there is little to achieve by playing the games new content. There are a lot more issues with gw2, and this is just scratching the surface. Its completely understandable that newer players wouldnt pick up on all this, but veteran players should generally all be upset at the direction the game has taken.

There should be more "instanced" group content. It's funny because gw1 was only instanced group content and people asked for open world like wow, now we have too much open world like wow and not enough instanced group content.

Should not be very hard to grab all the story instances and make them group content, there are super beautiful maps that only serve one time on story, what a waste. Make more group content.

I also think the LFG interface should have the option to see all postings not sorted by types, since almost no one is posting, i always need to click all to see what groups are being made. At this point I don't really care what people are grouping for, I'll join anything as long as it's a group game.

How hard is it to reward grouping?

Give gold!

Edit to add: group content for open world maps could also work.

Simple mechanics, puzzles that would only get done by groups. Someone will complain that solo players can't do it? Well I think at this point solo players can't complain from lack of content. Almost everything is solo, and even more annoying when we try to co-op the story, most of the mechanisms can't be done by anyone besides the commander.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:Players have very little reason to return to PoF and living world areas, creating empty maps and zero player presence in LFG/group events unless people are forced back one time to unlock something like a new mount.Perhaps so. I'm still working on my skyscale collections which are running through these very maps. Some are more populated than others, in my experience of late but I've seen other players going for the same objectives as I, so at the least the legendary mount is still bringing players to these maps.

The problem is this is an achievement based game, most of the players have played for years and have the achievements, so there is not a lot for them to care about doing. Without replay value a game declines, wow is successful because its always adding new content and achievements to go for, its also a progression game. I think staying in one spot all the time is not so great an idea, we need some progression to feel like we are doing something to further us along. You start to stagnate without any forward momentum.

@"Paradoxoglanis.1904" said:People seem to have this "casual vs hardcore" mentality when discussing gw2 content and its future.That in itself is the core of the problem that was mentioned above. There's an ultracasual content. There's content for mostly hardcore players. There's nothing in the middle. Not anymore, anyway.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Fractals might have been that, but Anet decided to go more hardcore with them instead.

Tiers 1 to 3 dont exist now?Oh, they do. The shift in difficulty can be seen in those as well, although probably less than in t4's

These multiplerson instances in ff14 are idd repeatable and through roulletes u can do the synced for your dailies.Yes, precisely. One of those roulettes ("Main Scenario") has ben introduced because two of the story instances were the FFXIV:ARR's versions of GW2's Arah Story Mode: 30 and 45 minutes long, and filled to the brim with unskippable cutscenes. Noone wanted to do those a second time, and new players had trouble getting a full party for them. So, the devs added a daily roulette for those two with some major (as far as roulettes go) rewards. And suddenly players started to do those again. Surprising, isn't it?

Compare that to Anet's way of solving the issue.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Paradoxoglanis.1904" said:People seem to have this "casual vs hardcore" mentality when discussing gw2 content and its future.That in itself is the core of the problem that was mentioned above. There's an ultracasual content. There's content for mostly hardcore players. There's nothing in the middle. Not anymore, anyway.

@Astralporing.1957 said:Fractals might have been that, but Anet decided to go more hardcore with them instead.

Tiers 1 to 3 dont exist now?Oh, they do. The shift in difficulty can be seen in those as well, although probably less than in t4's

These multiplerson instances in ff14 are idd repeatable and through roulletes u can do the synced for your dailies.Yes, precisely. One of those roulettes ("Main Scenario") has ben introduced because two of the story instances were the FFXIV:ARR's versions of GW2's Arah Story Mode: 30 and 45 minutes long, and filled to the brim with unskippable cutscenes. Noone wanted to do those a second time, and new players had trouble getting a full party for them. So, the devs added a daily roulette for those two with some major (as far as roulettes go) rewards. And suddenly players started to do those again. Surprising, isn't it?

Compare that to Anet's way of solving the issue.

Arah has the best sets, i really want to do it. But the only time i can get a group is if its the daily.