How best to approach the more tedious parts of my first legendary weapon (Pharus)

Gehenna.3625

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Loosmaster.8263 said:The Orr maps are a good place to farm Elderwood and Mithril. If you have enough Karma you can purchase Obi shards from the vendor at the Cathedral of Silence.

Edit: Here's something I do that helps when you have spare time.

Look at the TP and see what is selling good as far as materials go. Go to the maps that have these gathering nodes and sell them.

Yeah I did that and something that sells really well as far as materials go, is elder wood...

I was going to mention that but it was what you need, lol.

Look at iron, platinum, black pepper, onions and carrots, all good sellers.

@Gehenna.3625 said:is it just a matter of saving gold and buying them over time?That's always my recommendation. Sure, if you have alt characters, put them at spots they can grab extra wood or otherwise help you progress your acquisition of mats. Generally, though, saving your gold (rather than spending) is the fastest, easiest, and least tedious method. Don't farm any more than you can stomach. Burn out is the bigger obstacle to reaching MMO goals.

And for the mastery points I've seen there is some content I never did namely triple trouble, fractals and some legendary bosses in Silverwastes. I would need 7 more mastery points. Which content would be my best bet?'Best' depends on you.That said, a lot of the fractal mastery points can be easily cheezed. If you want to share your API key with achievements (via PM if you prefer), one of us can use GW2 Efficiency to recommend specific options.

As a place to start, you can go with friends to T1 fractals for these:

• Fancy Footwork: in swampland, let other people move the wisps; you just stand still
  • Flawless Fins Foil Foes: in Aquatic (if you get the random dolphin path), /gg and wait for others to reach the end. Respawn, backtrack a bit to turn into a dolphin, and come back to end.
  • Holo-Hornpipe: in Aetherblade, midway there are some holographic dancers. Type /dance.
  • Hop, Skip, and Jump: in Uncategorized, the safest option is to let the rest of the party clear the path, and then take your time on the JP (or get a mesmer port)
  • If We Only Had Marshmallows: just a matter of lighting all the bonfires in Snowblind
  • Open Grave: in Solid Ocean, kill everything (even the ambient creatures)
  • Out of Cluck: in Urban, find & kill all the chickens (most easily done after defeating the boss)
  • Take a Bow: in Cliffside, after defeating the final boss, wait for the Colossus to bow... and you bow back.
  • The Floor Is Lava. Don't Step In It: In Volcanic, you can either leech the fight from the platform or just be careful

Thanks all you guys for helping out. I finally managed to get the mastery points I needed so that's a big step forward for me :) Didn't even have to do fractals in the end. So that means all the gameplay requirements are done and it's just a matter of getting more stuff till I have it all. So it's a matter of patience and not going crazy on farming now hehe. Oh and thanks @Illconceived Was Na.9781 for your present as well. That was very kind of you.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Thanks for the update (and please keep us posted in your progress).

Well, let me give a more specific update on each of the final 4 elements needed to create Pharus. I'm actually quite far I think.1) Mystic Tribute. I have 50/250 mystic coins. 73/77 mystic clovers. 1/2 gift of condensed magic. 1/2 gift of condensed might.2) Gift of Pharus. I have 1/1 gift of the mists. 50/100 mystic runestones. 0/100 shards of spero. 0/1 gift of wood.3) Gift of Maguuma Mastery. I have 1/1 gift of maguuma. 1/1 gift of insights. 1/1 bloodstone shard. 90/250 crystalline ingots.4) Spero. I am actually on the phase of creating the ascended recipe for Spero and need 8 more elonian leather squares. The rest I have for it.

What I will add is the following. I had some gold saved and listened to the advice of saving gold and buying stuff instead of going bonkers on collecting the wood and mithril myself. I do some of that but most of it I buy with gold to save my sanity ;)Khisanth's tip about the enormous chest of legendary shards was extremely useful in that as well.

So far I've spent probably close 1000 gold (I had over 600 when I started this). Also I had completed HoT so getting the gifts from there was easy as I bought a few just because I could (when I didn't know what they were for) and the rest was just a matter of buying them with the currencies that I already had available. The PvP ones you can buy straight out and the wvw gift of battle just took me a couple of days of noobing around (I did my best but it's not my thing. Just hate afk'ing through stuff). So my main focus was initially on getting those mastery points which are a hard requirement for mystic runestones.

I will probably complete 4 first. Then 3, then 1 and finally 2. The elonian leather squares I can farm a couple a day so that's a matter of a few days. Then getting the remaining crystalline ingots will take a couple of weeks and the farm I do for that I can use to flip for gold after I'm done with that to pay for the mystic coins and mystic runestones. Then in the meantime I can pick up some wood and get that final 100 shards of spero.

I think that I should be able to get it all together in a matter of 3-4 weeks from now to be honest unless I really get stuck in. In the end with the tips from here I actually have done a lot of the wood and mithril a lot quicker than I thought without having to gather myself silly. It would've been a lot different without the help in this thread so even though I'm not done yet I can see that I've gone through the process a lot faster thanks to all the helpful tips here, so again, thanks guys for helping me out.

Thanks guys. I was glad to find out that when applying the skin on other longbows it takes all the effects with it.The one thing that puzzles me is the base damage. It seems to be between exotic and ascended stats but has the addition of doing fire damage. How does that work out? I thought legendary weapons followed ascended stats.

@Gehenna.3625 said:Thanks guys. I was glad to find out that when applying the skin on other longbows it takes all the effects with it.The one thing that puzzles me is the base damage. It seems to be between exotic and ascended stats but has the addition of doing fire damage. How does that work out? I thought legendary weapons followed ascended stats.

The actual Damage stat on the bow should be identical to ascended: 966-1134.The skill tooltips are affected by total stats - have you selected stat on it? Are there sigils/infusions that differ?

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:Thanks guys. I was glad to find out that when applying the skin on other longbows it takes all the effects with it.The one thing that puzzles me is the base damage. It seems to be between exotic and ascended stats but has the addition of doing fire damage. How does that work out? I thought legendary weapons followed ascended stats.

The actual Damage stat on the bow should be identical to ascended: 966-1134.The skill tooltips are affected by total stats - have you selected stat on it? Are there sigils/infusions that differ?

I see what happened. I compared base damage to my staff and I assumed it would have the same stats and didn't expect it to have lower stats than my staff. But after looking I realized that all two-handed weapons have a slightly different base damage. The base damage is the same regardless of stats or sigils etc. but does differ per weapon type.

• 6 months later...

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:wow so did you grind out those last 40 Mastery points or is there a buy around method for this? I need 20 more points and some of these maps in HoT/LW3 are dead population wise.

No, you have to go there and do them. Open the Hero panel ("H" by default) and look for any achievement with a green Mastery symbol by it. Some are commune-only Mastery Insights, some are linked to the story in HoT, and some are linked to the LS3 story.