Worlds continuing to drop in population?

Acheron.4731

It is no mystery why wvw has been in a sharp decline lately...poor balance, neglect, stagnation, loss of server pride or desire to stay in certain tiers.....Without this becoming a MU thread does anyone have a run-down on the numbers of guilds that have quit, disbanded, or taken a break from wvw lately?Which tiers did they play, why did they leave? I am just curious.Consider this a way to pay homage to our fallen comrades....good or bad,. wvw wouldn't have been the same without you :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:Or they bumped the threshold up like they did in EU which would explain the BG temp opening but yeah how many these threads about less players we need?

I doubt it. I dont keep up with this stuff anymore, but just from what I've heard in game is that we have had people leave the server recently after our most popular commander decided to quit/take a break. We have also had less activity as a result since he stopped commanding, which given the timeframe would explain why we opened when we did.

@X T D.6458 said:I also think invisible tags will contribute to declining activity because many pugs will be deterred from playing. It will be harder for them to organize and coordinate, they get bored, and will just log out.

When pugs follow a guild raid commander they can see on the map, they will get told to bugger off. That's even worse for the morale, isn't it? Not only your contribution is ignored but downright not wanted.

@Korgov.7645 said:

@X T D.6458 said:I also think invisible tags will contribute to declining activity because many pugs will be deterred from playing. It will be harder for them to organize and coordinate, they get bored, and will just log out.

When pugs follow a guild raid commander they can see on the map, they will get told to kitten off. That's even worse for the morale, isn't it? Not only your contribution is ignored but downright not wanted.

Someone being rude in chat doesn't stop someone from playing. Now I never tell people how to play or what to do with their squads, but I see this as bad for the game mode for both sides. If pugs have nobody to follow, they will lose interest and leave. This leaves less recruits for guilds to keep themselves active, and leads to less fights for everyone.

@X T D.6458 said:

When pugs follow a guild raid commander they can see on the map, they will get told to kitten off. That's even worse for the morale, isn't it? Not only your contribution is ignored but downright not wanted.

Someone being rude in chat doesn't stop someone from playing. Now I never tell people how to play or what to do with their squads, but I see this as bad for the game mode for both sides. If pugs have nobody to follow, they will lose interest and leave. This leaves less recruits for guilds to keep themselves active, and leads to less fights for everyone.

It would be good to look at the reasons public commanding is so unpopular. Not only commanding but also scouting and PPT roaming.

I would argue on lack of a common goal. It got removed when world linking was introduced. ANet decides the outcome of matchups, not players. With no reason to win a matchup players make goals of their own: top KD ratio, wipe that other guild group, defeat someone in duel, guild missions, ganking stragglers, whatnot. When those side goals are the only content other players feel unwanted.

@Korgov.7645 said:

It would be good to look at the reasons public commanding is so unpopular. Not only commanding but also scouting and PPT roaming.

I would argue on lack of a common goal. It got removed when world linking was introduced. ANet decides the outcome of matchups, not players. With no reason to win a matchup players make goals of their own: top KD ratio, wipe that other guild group, defeat someone in duel, guild missions, ganking stragglers, whatnot. When those side goals are the only content other players feel unwanted.

=) they need to tie in to pve the world v world like the old days.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

um...no.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

You mean like in ultima online where you are only safe in town? Hehe

@Jaruselka.5943 said:

um...no.

yes, before our exploits in wvw increased bonuses for ppl in pve; hence we got some sponsors. there needs to be a symbiotic relations.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

You mean like in ultima online where you are only safe in town? Hehe

no, where our performance in wvw affects the words pve bonus for players of x server x link.

@Acheron.4731 said:lol, @DemonSeed.3528 they had the same feature in Archlord. If people had a problem with each other they would say 'meet me at south gate' which opened up outside the city.

haha, worlds like that were kind of interesting. I also remember full dex guys running around town pickpocketing people especially near banks. we would also lure pk's near guards so they would get killed.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

You mean like in ultima online where you are only safe in town? HeheGUARDS! Thwack! ooOOooOOoo

The biggest contributer to decline is players aging out of the game and moving on. GW2 has a very active population given its age.

That said, they need to kill the rally mechanic because it really does prevent good guilds from being inclusive. Most guilds would run open tags if they weren't worried about the sheep rallying the other side.

Warclaw didn't help. F2P players probably left (speculation). It also doesn't help with new players. For a complete newbie WvW can be daunting by itself but now you're also left in the dust. Sure the task might seem easy for veterans but if you are completely new... Never saw any advantage for making differences between players in pvp.I don't really understand invisible tags for WvW. It is a server wide cooperation it is better that you are seen. I like to solo roam and will scout and help wilth supply train and enemy gankers. I get you don't want pugs and that is just fine, I will keep my distance. But if I know where you are and what is your goal we can help each other. Luckily my server is quite active and tags and everyone else often coordinate and work together.

@Cuks.8241 said:Warclaw didn't help. F2P players probably left (speculation). It also doesn't help with new players. For a complete newbie WvW can be daunting by itself but now you're also left in the dust. Sure the task might seem easy for veterans but if you are completely new... Never saw any advantage for making differences between players in pvp.I don't really understand invisible tags for WvW. It is a server wide cooperation it is better that you are seen. I like to solo roam and will scout and help wilth supply train and enemy gankers. I get you don't want pugs and that is just fine, I will keep my distance. But if I know where you are and what is your goal we can help each other. Luckily my server is quite active and tags and everyone else often coordinate and work together.

if your community coordinates, hidden tag, not hidden tag won't matter. it's just the casuals. they want it easy, but wvw is easy for the veterans, but to new ones; it's not.