[Merged] Guild Wars 2 and Twitch Drops

It is known that some video games uses Twitch to give away free stuff, Warframe as an example, sometimes they give free stuff just watching x stream for 3 hours. Why can't ArenaNet do the same? Just watch one of their streams and maybe get 1 x free skin. I honestly feel that they are missing the opportunity.

So many possibilities

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Gw2 cannot give free stuffs. Gw2 is a free game. what makes gw2 alive is the gemstore. Gw2 need money from gemstore. So they cannot give free stuffs.But for like world of warcraft. They have subscription. I remember one time if you watch 3v3 wow tournament on twitch you get free mount. So wow can give free stuffs because they have subscription money.So in conclusion. Gw2 cannot give free stuffs.

@knomslayer.9457 said:Because Gw2 cannot give free stuffs. Gw2 is a free game. what makes gw2 alive is the gemstore. Gw2 need money from gemstore. So they cannot give free stuffs.But for like world of warcraft. They have subscription. I remember one time if you watch 3v3 wow tournament on twitch you get free mount. So wow can give free stuffs because they have subscription money.So in conclusion. Gw2 cannot give free stuffs.

This isn't really accurate. Games without subscription fees (including this one every once in awhile) definitely give away free stuff. (Not that I am saying that I want or expect free stuff from this one).

@knomslayer.9457 said:Because Gw2 cannot give free stuffs. Gw2 is a free game. what makes gw2 alive is the gemstore. Gw2 need money from gemstore. So they cannot give free stuffs.But for like world of warcraft. They have subscription. I remember one time if you watch 3v3 wow tournament on twitch you get free mount. So wow can give free stuffs because they have subscription money.So in conclusion. Gw2 cannot give free stuffs.

This train of logic doesn't really make sense.

One example I can give is Warframe. Warframe is an entirely, 100% free to play game. No paid expansions or paid DLC but it has a paid for currency. They give this currency away during their devstreams for free, along with other things periodically over the course of a year, and Warframe isn't exactly hurting for money.

So....what? Where do people come up with these explanations that are, more often than not, flimsier than a cooked spaghetti noodle?

There is an official GW2 twitch channel and they do somewhat regular streams (not sure how often exactly, because I don't pay much attention to it even though I follow it). Infact the upcoming announcement event, will be streamed on twitch and if I am not wrong they are giving away an outfit there... well some, it might be limited, dunno.

So saying they don't use twitch at all is a false statement, you can debate if they use it effectively though. And while I don't know if they ever gave away free stuff through their streams before, they at least plan to do for this special one.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

One example I can give is Warframe. Warframe is an entirely, 100% free to play game. No paid expansions or paid DLC but it has a paid for currency. They give this currency away during their devstreams for free, along with other things periodically over the course of a year, and Warframe isn't exactly hurting for money.

So....what? Where do people come up with these explanations that are, more often than not, flimsier than a cooked spaghetti noodle?

It depends what you give away.WoW could give away a mount. Something that takes weeks to develop, model, animate. That things costs money to make.Warframe gave some currency. That stuff exists already, it's a handout better yet, that handout lets people go the store and see other things they might like increasing future sales.

Same with gw2, they could hand out a few gems, or sombre utility items from the gemstore. They occasionally do, but it's usually junk.

Cant tell if sarcasm or not, but in either case other games already give free stuff, free games included. And gw2 is not a free game.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

It depends what you give away.WoW could give away a mount. Something that takes weeks to develop, model, animate. That things costs money to make.Warframe gave some currency. That stuff exists already, it's a handout better yet, that handout lets people go the store and see other things they might like increasing future sales.

Same with gw2, they could hand out a few gems, or sombre utility items from the gemstore. They occasionally do, but it's usually junk.

Warframe also gives actual stuff away, like prime warframes and cosmetics or decorations.

I wouldn't say no, but I can't help thinking that if they did give away free stuff, it would be things like teleport to friend stones which I never use.

It's a good way to get views (provided there aren't eligibility restrictions) but most of them will come from people already interested in your game. Offering free MTX won't mean much to people who don't have an account or don't play anymore, and they're generally the most important ones to reach.

@Astrolicus.3716 said:It is known that some video games uses Twitch to give away free stuff, Warframe as an example, sometimes they give free stuff just watching x stream for 3 hours. Why can't ArenaNet do the same? Just watch one of their streams and maybe get 1 x free skin. I honestly feel that they are missing the opportunity.

Was it Digital Extremes (maker of Warframe) giving away free stuff or the streamers themselves giving away free stuff, out of their own pocket?

Streamers give away free stuff in lots of games as a way of attracting subscribers, competing with other streamers for viewership which gets them more income from a larger share of advertising dollars. As far as I know it's really rare for the gaming company to reimburse the streamer.

@"Astrolicus.3716" said:It is known that some video games uses Twitch to give away free stuff, Warframe as an example, sometimes they give free stuff just watching x stream for 3 hours. Why can't ArenaNet do the same? Just watch one of their streams and maybe get 1 x free skin. I honestly feel that they are missing the opportunity.

So many possibilities

Because players will come on the forums and complain about being left out.

@Astrolicus.3716 said:Why does ArenaNet not use Twitch just mail it to give free stuff?

Fixed that for you.

In case you hadn't noticed, Anet does give out free stuff. Every time you log in, plus birthdays, anniversary, and quite often just things you can get from the gem store. Add to that achievements, which many can be reached simply by playing the game. I feel Anet is quite generous.

@Tukaram.8256 said:It just us not really a twitch game...

Yeee.

Learn it OP. Anything you will ask here the answer will be always the same.

Gw2:

• isn't fun to watch
  • isn't raiding game
  • isn't pvp game
  • isn't mass-pvp game
  • isn't about progression
  • don't have enough resources to do content you want
  • isn't run by Blizzard
  • isn't for veterans

Etc, etc.

But meantime... There's good question. If it's not twitch game then why ArenaNet is doing their streams on twtich regularly xD?