Living World Access To New Players

As someone that has gotten nearly all of the LW seasons for free since S2, and has friends that would now like to jump into the story and buying the expansions...I agree it would be really nice if they could communicate this better. Why not make bundles that lump LW3 with HoT and LW4 with PoF? Or at the very least make it obvious there's more between the expansions you need to buy. Would like my friends to enjoy playing more of the game, not be frustrated by it.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:You can buy the gems with gold.

What you might consider doing is buying one episode with gold (or cash if you’re in a hurry and don’t want to wait while you’re farming gold), play through it while saving up gold then when you’re done with it buy the next episode with gold. Rinse and repeat.

This is technically feasible but, at the time of me writing this, it costs ~782 gold to buy 3400 gems, roughly what it costs to buy Living World Seasons 2, 3, and 4. That's a ***** ton of gold for anybody to save up, let alone a new player who just wants to play the story. I'm a casual player who plays 3-6 hours a week, since I work full-time; it would probably take me over 2 years to save up this much gold to buy all the Living World episodes.......I think there should be an easier way, like unlocking them in game through content or making them less expensive.

@Ototo.3214 said:As someone that has gotten nearly all of the LW seasons for free since S2, and has friends that would now like to jump into the story and buying the expansions...I agree it would be really nice if they could communicate this better. Why not make bundles that lump LW3 with HoT and LW4 with PoF? Or at the very least make it obvious there's more between the expansions you need to buy. Would like my friends to enjoy playing more of the game, not be frustrated by it.

They do include bundles as you can add them when purchasing the expansions.

@broFenix.1632 said:

What you might consider doing is buying one episode with gold (or cash if you’re in a hurry and don’t want to wait while you’re farming gold), play through it while saving up gold then when you’re done with it buy the next episode with gold. Rinse and repeat.

This is technically feasible but, at the time of me writing this, it costs ~782 gold to buy 3400 gems, roughly what it costs to buy Living World Seasons 2, 3, and 4. That's a ***** ton of gold for anybody to save up, let alone a new player who just wants to play the story. I'm a casual player who plays 3-6 hours a week, since I work full-time; it would probably take me over 2 years to save up this much gold to buy all the Living World episodes.......I think there should be an easier way, like unlocking them in game through content or making them less expensive.

A player can have enough gold in a little over six months by saving their log in rewards and gold from doing the dailies. If they save the gold they get from playing the game then they get it even faster.

my first years in gw2 was very chill, i basically explore the world. after 1 or 2 years i bought LS2, most for luminescent armor, that is tied to some LS2 chapters.remembering that unlike other living worlds, you have access to LS2 maps with Core-game only, i mean the silverwastes the most important farm map.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ototo.3214 said:As someone that has gotten nearly all of the LW seasons for free since S2, and has friends that would now like to jump into the story and buying the expansions...I agree it would be really nice if they could communicate this better. Why not make bundles that lump LW3 with HoT and LW4 with PoF? Or at the very least make it obvious there's more between the expansions you need to buy. Would like my friends to enjoy playing more of the game, not be frustrated by it.

A player can have enough gold in a little over six months by saving their log in rewards and gold from doing the dailies. If they save the gold they get from playing the game then they get it even faster.

Just clicked through the checkout to see, and while you are correct in that you can add it at checkout, it's not made very clear. It's listed under extra addon things like character slots and minis while not being very apparent that it's story you need to bridge between core/expansions. When I say bundle, I mean a bundle that shows it's more story that goes with it, sold together under one price. Even if it's not a discount that way and is still the same price, at least it fixes that problem.

@Cisaro.3169 said:

• I think I've already said this - it's not a cash issue it's visibility on content issue. Just tell me upfront or increase the price and throw it all in so there are no surprises.

But we all love surprise mechanics right? :) /sI can completely understand your frustration Cisaro. Unfortunately Anet rarely goes back to fix or change something that is already released. Also you will notice a lot of the same people come to Anet's defense in the forums. While I'm taking a break from the game myself, I do say it is a great game. Well worth the time to play through personal story and map completion for the core game (in my opinion). As far as Living World stuff, some of it is very grindy such as the Skyscale Collection. (again my opinion)

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:This makes Guild Wars 2 a very expensive game to start. And each expansion will make this worse.

You can
start
for free.

World of Warcraft and many other other mmorpgs allow you to "start" for free too.

For sure, but the limits in "play for free" WoW are more limiting than in "play for free" GW2. PFF GW2 allows you to play the entire base story, reach level 80, etc. etc. etc. Try reaching even "WoW Classic" max level with a PFF WoW account.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:A player can have enough gold in a little over six months by saving their log in rewards and gold from doing the dailies. If they save the gold they get from playing the game then they get it even faster.

That's assuming the new player will log in every day and do the daily every day.

Of course. I was just trying to show that it’s possible to obtain enough gold without having to resort to grinding out the farms such as SW or DF.

@Ototo.3214 said:

Just clicked through the checkout to see, and while you are correct in that you can add it at checkout, it's not made very clear. It's listed under extra addon things like character slots and minis while not being very apparent that it's story you need to bridge between core/expansions. When I say bundle, I mean a bundle that shows it's more story that goes with it, sold together under one price. Even if it's not a discount that way and is still the same price, at least it fixes that problem.

That could end up creating confusion. Guild Wars had something similar with many bundles which left new players confused in regards to which ones to buy.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:A player can have enough gold in a little over six months by saving their log in rewards and gold from doing the dailies. If they save the gold they get from playing the game then they get it even faster.

That's assuming the new player will log in every day and do the daily every day.

Of course. I was just trying to show that it’s possible to obtain enough gold without having to resort to grinding out the farms such as SW or DF.

That could end up creating confusion. Guild Wars had something similar with many bundles which left new players confused in regards to which ones to buy.

At the very least they need to make it clear that Living World is more purchasable story in some way. Because as is it already is confusing to new players that don't know what Living World is. It's literally listed next to minis and character slots, and to me that kinda stuff reads as unnecessary bonus cash shop stuff. Not story.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:This makes Guild Wars 2 a very expensive game to start. And each expansion will make this worse.

You can
start
for free.

World of Warcraft and many other other mmorpgs allow you to "start" for free too.

You can play 20 levels out of 120 so not the same as gw2 were you can play whole core game.

@broFenix.1632 said:

If a new player is only playing 3 to 6 hours per week then the core game will keep them occupied for quite some time. Perhaps even long enough to acquire the gold to buy LS2. Which should keep them occupied for some time. Eventually, combining gold and real money, they can acquire chapters and expansions at their own pace. No need to buy all at once.

It is very confusing for a new player. I started after PoF and first I lvled to 80 on a f2p account. I buy the expansions, hop into HoT and wth? What just happened with the story? I had no idea that LS even exist. If I knew at the time how the story progresses I might even buy the ultimate edition for the gems (don't really care about fashion so don't really need so much gems).

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:When I first got into the game I encountered this. It greatly effected my experience. When I bought HoT the website advertised it as unlocking all content related to HoT. That is an implication that I would get the full Living World 3 season. Since I complained it was removed from the site, but they still do not address Living World at all as needing further purchases for all the content.

Any arguments of "you can buy them with gold" will be disregarded.

Anet needs to be outright clear that buying the expansions is NOT the full game. Besides, Living World shouldn't be charged anyways since what makes them the real money is the repeat purchases in the Gem store. If selling LW chapters for Gems was really that important, they wouldn't be giving them away to anyone.

If anything, a current season should be unlocked in full if you are active during it at all. Missed full seasons can be sold. I was fine with purchasing Season 2.

tl;drI am actually a bit burned, because when I bought HoT it informed me that I would get all content involving it. Only to find that I had to pay another fee anyways. Anet fixed the purchase page, but I still got burned by Anet being really poor at word choice.

Buying Skyrim doesn’t entitle me to the DLC content. Buying ESO, and it’s expansions, doesn’t entitle me to the DLC maps. Unless it’s specifically mentioned that the Living Story seasons would be included, it’s the players’ fault for making that assumption and not researching what they’re buying beforehand.

Tl;dr Living Story seasons require an expansion (except LS2) but they are not part of the expansion.

I couldn't have explained it any more clearly that it used to say that you got all related content until my complaining changed it. Are you just responding to me to throw the "entitlement" jab my way? Just stop.

@maddoctor.2738 said:Path of Fire: 30 euroHeart of Thorns: 30 euroSeason 2: 1280 gemsSeason 3: 960 gemsSeason 4: 960 (most likely) gemsTotal 3200 gems

You can either buy 2800 gems for 35 euro or 4000 gems for 50 euro, no option for 3200 gemsThis means you'd need to pay 110 euro to have access to everything in the game when you begin playing, and have some left over gems for a single outfit or a gathering tool.

This makes Guild Wars 2 a very expensive game to start. And each expansion will make this worse.

Maybe, just maybe, they want to rethink this strategy and that's why they didn't announce an expansion, but LS 5.

Potentially axing expacs because yhey have a bad system with lw and its monetisation isnt a better solution.

They should rethink lw monetisation.

@Cuks.8241 said:It is very confusing for a new player. I started after PoF and first I lvled to 80 on a f2p account. I buy the expansions, hop into HoT and wth? What just happened with the story? I had no idea that LS even exist. If I knew at the time how the story progresses I might even buy the ultimate edition for the gems (don't really care about fashion so don't really need so much gems).

Did you use the level 80 boost, or did you play the personal story to level 80?

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:When I first got into the game I encountered this. It greatly effected my experience. When I bought HoT the website advertised it as unlocking all content related to HoT. That is an implication that I would get the full Living World 3 season. Since I complained it was removed from the site, but they still do not address Living World at all as needing further purchases for all the content.

Any arguments of "you can buy them with gold" will be disregarded.

Anet needs to be outright clear that buying the expansions is NOT the full game. Besides, Living World shouldn't be charged anyways since what makes them the real money is the repeat purchases in the Gem store. If selling LW chapters for Gems was really that important, they wouldn't be giving them away to anyone.

If anything, a current season should be unlocked in full if you are active during it at all. Missed full seasons can be sold. I was fine with purchasing Season 2.

tl;drI am actually a bit burned, because when I bought HoT it informed me that I would get all content involving it. Only to find that I had to pay another fee anyways. Anet fixed the purchase page, but I still got burned by Anet being really poor at word choice.

Buying Skyrim doesn’t entitle me to the DLC content. Buying ESO, and it’s expansions, doesn’t entitle me to the DLC maps. Unless it’s specifically mentioned that the Living Story seasons would be included, it’s the players’ fault for making that assumption and not researching what they’re buying beforehand.

Tl;dr Living Story seasons require an expansion (except LS2) but they are not part of the expansion.

I couldn't have explained it any more clearly that it used to say that you got all related content until my complaining changed it. Are you just responding to me to throw the "entitlement" jab my way? Just stop.

It never ever said that.

I've thought for awhile that since they are pushing the "Guild Wars 2 Living World" in their marketing that they should do a monolithic price point for new players that includes all previous content including the living world seasons so they don't have to unlock bits here and there. They could still offer the different expansions for players who haven't unlocked one or the other. If they aren't going to do another expansion it would make sense to sell it as one price. They could recut all their old teasers, previews and ads around the whole "Guild Wars 2 Living World" name. They could use the core material, expansion and living world previews recut. Maybe even change the character select screen to reflect that.

They definitely could be much better at marketing than they have been. To me it seems they only focus their marketing to existing GW2 players.

@maddoctor.2738 said:Path of Fire: 30 euroHeart of Thorns: 30 euroSeason 2: 1280 gemsSeason 3: 960 gemsSeason 4: 960 (most likely) gemsTotal 3200 gems

You can either buy 2800 gems for 35 euro or 4000 gems for 50 euro, no option for 3200 gemsThis means you'd need to pay 110 euro to have access to everything in the game when you begin playing, and have some left over gems for a single outfit or a gathering tool.

This makes Guild Wars 2 a very expensive game to start. And each expansion will make this worse.

Maybe, just maybe, they want to rethink this strategy and that's why they didn't announce an expansion, but LS 5.LS chapters/seasons also aren't free for those that are about to start. LS5 might be cheaper than potential Expac 3 would have been, but it's still money you'd have to pay if you wanted to unlock everything from the start.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Goettel.4389 said:Agreed, it's high time for at least a great deal on LW content for new players.

What reasonable business reason would there be for ANet to do this?

Maybe the fact that its kind of misleading when new players come to the game and buy the expansions thinking they are getting all the content, when really they find out they have to buy extra on the side. Thats a huge turn off for a lot of people. They already sell everything in the gem shop locking the games story behind it too is kinda shameful.

DLC content generally are never included with games, or their expansions, unless specifically stated. Those new to video/computer games that offer DLCs can chalk this up as a learning experience.

Skyrim has DLC’s that are not included with the main game unless you buy the package that specifically indicates they’re included. Many other games such as Fallout 3/4, Assassin’s Creed, and Final Fantasy 15 operate under the same concept. ESO is also similar except that it has “expansions” and an optional monthly sub which provides access to the DLC. WoW and Final Fantasy 14 are different as you’re required to have a sub to access the game including any content added between expansions.

• 7 months later...

I'm happy to pay cash for convenience items, storage expansions, I'm considering buying some skins as well. But DO NOT paywall people from content if they bought the full game and expansions at full price! This trend of releasing DLC content must go away...I have played the original Guild Wars since release day. Have Prophecies collector's edition. Bought several storage upgrades and of course all expansions. Just recently came to Guild Wars 2 and was very annoyed for buying game + expansions and still not having access to story content. It's not clear for a new customer and it really looked like I'd get all game content by buying base game + expansions...Again, I can happily pay for skins and for convenience items, but please considering letting customers who bought the full game has access to full content.PS: Sorry for necro but I did not want to start a new thread if this topic was already discussed. Just giving one more opinion to the matter.