Should scrapper really be tied to the Barrier system?

Rico.6873

No, it shouldn't be tied to the barrier system.

Impact Savant shouldn't have been given the vitality penalty and instead should have been an on-strike damage application for Resistance. You could still have a short duration barrier from bulwark gyro but if you'd wanted you could just run bunker stats on your gear and scrapper runes and make use of other utilities.

Could it be overpowered? Perhaps, but at least the need to renew it via strike damage-given how easily we're kited- wouldn't make it an up all the time sort of thing. At the same time it would be possible to function without it as opposed to the ridiculously punitive nature of IS's current barrier where you have to connect with weapons literally just to keep a fake health pool draining only a little bit slower, if that.

Resistance on continued strike damage would be one of those abilities seen as spiffy to have, and might help when pushing against some other professions which have been next to untouchable in the past, but not utterly game breaking due to the high amount of power builds running.

If you wanted to mitigate some of the whingeing you could make it similar to guardian justice procs where every two or three hits resistance is applied to the Scrapper.

Just something to throw out there.

I like Barriers.

I don't like Gyros.

I would much rather Scrapper ends up as a Barrier-mancer than have an arsenal of robots pretending to be an actual impactful skill.

• Medic Gyro is just a strong Heal over time with initial heal.
  • Purge Gyro is just a Cleanse over time.
  • Blast Gyro is just a delayed explosion.
  • Bulwark Gyro is just a Barrier over time but yu have to share it by taking damage for others.
  • Sneak Gyro is a Stealth pulse over time.
  • Shredder Gyro is just a targetted Damage field with finishers.

Whoop de doo how interesting.

How bout revamp the entire spec to recycle barriers or play around with it.

I believe that the barrier "mechanic" is potentially more interesting than the gyros ever were. Bad pathing and poor speed and reaction times made them extremely clunky to use. On top of that I personally find pet mechanics unfun. The current iteration of the Scrapper can certainly use some adjustments but the general direction is IMHO much better.

@Yasai.3549 said:I like Barriers.

I don't like Gyros.

I would much rather Scrapper ends up as a Barrier-mancer than have an arsenal of robots pretending to be an actual impactful skill.

• Bulwark Gyro is just a Barrier over time but yu have to share it by taking damage for others.

It needs more than barriers is why. Scrapper had barrier in spades before this recent round of nerfs but when traited for sustain it still wouldn't bring anybody down. Still, instead of playing smarter, going around or ignoring them people cried that it was nearly impossible to bring one down which was an exaggeration. Thanks to that we've lost multiple sources of regen AND we have a barrier that doesn't work if we're being kited around.

I want to believe it's because ANet doesn't do proper testing but let's assume they do. That being the case, then they let that patch go live, knowing what it would do, because they WANTED us to be this bad. And taking that into account it's probably safe to say that ANet doesn't want us being bunkers anymore -at least not effective bunkers. What isn't obvious is what they actually want us to be because right now -figuratively speaking- they've thrown a lot of colours into a bowl and have done nothing but make mud with them. When the Holosmith, as attested by many of the players on these boards, is a better bunker/support than Scrapper then what are we left with? Not much.

@Iozeph.5617 said:

@Yasai.3549 said:I like Barriers.

I don't like Gyros.

I want to believe it's because ANet doesn't do proper testing but let's assume they do. That being the case, then they let that patch go live, knowing what it would do, because they WANTED us to be this bad. And taking that into account it's probably safe to say that ANet doesn't want us being bunkers anymore -at least not effective bunkers. What isn't obvious is what they actually want us to be because right now.

Holos.

Prot holo was already better than the tanky scrapper build before this latest round of nerfs. It's only gotten better. The difference is that prot holo requires more skill to play, whereas scrapper was pretty much plug-and-play.

@Greyjoy.5167 said:Barrier system seems poor. I imagine Scrapper as some kind of Thor and Ironman mix.Would be nice if Anet would head more into Lightings and/or Gyros.

I agree. That's what drew me to it in the first place, and now I don't really care for scrapper. It has wells now, not gyros. Lightning field spam is gone now too.

Mt biggest issue with Impact Savant is that it only provides barrier on power damage dealt thus being totally detrimental to any kind of build diversity.A possible fix would be obviously add condition damage barrier and also barrier on healing allies.at least this would promote other stat sets and open up more possible builds.As it stands it just poor design:Power builds loose 3000 hp and receive 15% barrier on damage dealtCondition builds loose 3000 hp and receive nothingSupport builds loose 3000 hp and receive nothingWho thought of that?