need constructive criticism for my build of Firebrand power WvW

Eodh.8529

Excelsior!

I have seen recently the posts of Ragnar and RisenHowl, and really admired how they manage to twist their firebrands into warmachines (so kudos to them :D ).these videos gave me the willingness to play my good ol' guardian again.

Before I post the build, I am aware that Firebrand is more of a condi class due to its high burn capability with ToJ.Running power is therefore not optimised to the class's very original design.While I like DH, I find overall the traps rather... well.. cluncky and not that fun to play (especially in WvW). sure, we can play DH without traps but I looooove quickbrand :D

I tried to build according to the following goals:

• power/hybrid (I dont like condi as to easy to remove a single condi - burn - in WvW)
  • Bunker
  • quickbrand
  • as many boons as possible
  • small group roaming / zerg. ( I usually don't join zerg as playing non meta)

The idea is to be able to put pressure on enemies with quick damages while supporting at the same time allies around you.retaliation is easy to come by and the fury from sword adds up to close to 80% of crit. (quite lower as full zerker).the build proposes a vast pool of HP and of armor ensuring that you wont be as fragile as a full glass canon.

Overall I consider this build more of a +1 than a real roamer.

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?PWABs6x3lRweYIsJmJO6L+PdA-zVZYBRPK3MIjzwOjmkCprC04A-w

I am having a blast with it and am slowly learning how to survive / kill / support.I believe we can safely predict that this build will never be meta.

Feel free to comment about weapons / traits / gearIf possible I would like you to propose some comments that go in the line of the build (nothing like "n00b, play m3t4!" --> worry not, I also play meta :D )

have a nice day !

Thanks for the shoutout lol

If you want to go more power based, i'd suggest something like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAs6FlRweYgsPmJOyL9vdA-zVhYBRHAGUgYog8PD57QSTBkpIoXpgGPABsHeLrODA-w

sword is pretty tempting because the symbol is easy to land and deals great damage, but after it's used you're stuck in a weapon set with only the AA for cleave. GS offers significant burst damage and cleave while being easy to land with JI, plus the trait is great and in a spot that has little opportunity cost for a power build.

drops bane signet because it has very little utility and only a minor damage increase, drops sword of justice because this is a power build and you aren't taking the trait for it

inner fire in radiance, it's free fury to bring you up to 100% crit rate. Even though you aren't running much in the way of burn application, it only has to hit 1 target with burning every 10s to activate. Symbols+ passive f1 or active f1 should allow you to trigger it 100% of the time.

drops liberator for archivist in fb, the extra tome pages are really strong in wvw. especially for f3. 46% boon duration (from bounty sigil) allows you to upkeep quickness 100% of the time with just stalwart speed and the mantra. you don't have to be really concerned with a rotation to maintain 100% quickness, you'll have plenty when you need it just from playing normally.

your build was really susceptible to condition pressure and damage, so cleansing sigils on both weapon sets should let you ignore them. If you get condi bombed really hard you have contemplation of purity and f2 2+5 for relief.

This build doesn't have any healing power either, which limits your personal sustain on fb more than it does for other classes. To make up for it, i'd run -10% damage food and use shield 4 right before swapping to gs for a JI bomb. That should be enough to keep you alive on the way in and out with 2.7k armor (2.85k with quickness).

The only thing you're really missing is might, unfortunately there isn't a good way to get it without running staff or swapping radiance for virtues/permeating wrath+zealous scepter

You could run this solo or in a zerg, it still has pretty strong boon support. It wont top the meter in a group but should hold up pretty well. I'd swap syg in for contemplation if running with a group.

You could also run full or mostly celestial with zeal 331 for something like solemn's build in this video:

Many thanks for the corrections and explanations :)

• Could you explain me the mix of the gear stats? (One marauder for armor and rest wanderer & one commander for armor and rest being Marauder)?I have to confess that I rather forgot about the marauder stat but in this context, it does plenty of sense.

• The majority of your explanations are rather self explanatory for everything so thank you :)

I just had an idea of switching the trait of Zeal to Honor.It would look like this :http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAs6FlRweYgsPmJW6TvvdA-zVhYBRHAGUgYog8PD57QSTBkpIoXpgGPABsHeLrODA-w

this way, the issue of the might would be resolved as each crit would generate some (including the one from the symbols). While we would lose some of the burst / damages and easy access to fury (symbolic power -> inner fire) , it could potentially be balance by the might generation of "Empowering might". Heal would also proc portection and make it more sustainable via better stamina regen. Pure of voice could also eventually be taken for the shouts.

Do you think it is worth it or should it rather be forgotten ? :D( I have to specify that I didnt have the time to try it so it is pure theorycrafting)

Have a nice day !

@"Eodh.8529" said:Many thanks for the corrections and explanations :)

• Could you explain me the mix of the gear stats? (One marauder for armor and rest wanderer & one commander for armor and rest being Marauder)?I have to confess that I rather forgot about the marauder stat but in this context, it does plenty of sense.

• The majority of your explanations are rather self explanatory for everything so thank you :)

I just had an idea of switching the trait of Zeal to Honor.It would look like this :http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PWwAs6FlRweYgsPmJW6TvvdA-zVhYBRHAGUgYog8PD57QSTBkpIoXpgGPABsHeLrODA-w

this way, the issue of the might would be resolved as each crit would generate some (including the one from the symbols). While we would lose some of the burst / damages and easy access to fury (symbolic power -> inner fire) , it could potentially be balance by the might generation of "Empowering might". Heal would also proc portection and make it more sustainable via better stamina regen. Pure of voice could also eventually be taken for the shouts.

Do you think it is worth it or should it rather be forgotten ? :D( I have to specify that I didnt have the time to try it so it is pure theorycrafting)

Have a nice day !

Radiance gives 55% critical rate, so you need 45% to max it. You also need 46% boon duration for 100% quickness. Stat allocations are laid out so you get both with a decent amount of armor/hp/offense.

I wouldn't swap zeal for honor, you would lose 240 power from the gs trait and a number of damage modifiers. Honor would only give you around 10 stacks of might (300 power) on average with no damage modifiers. Not worth the tradeoff imo

Happy smashing man =D